Thread: Getting into magic for my son

Getting into magic for my son

Hello I'm writing just to see if anyone could help me I am currently getting into magic for my 10-year-old son who finds it very interesting and fun. I have maybe three or 400 cards from when I was in my teens and just bought them to collect them and not play the game and I can't seem to remember how many intro decks or whatnot I had purchased back then but I had the paper pamphlets from a few and managed to assemble the decks that I found the papers for. But I assume that there are more decks that I don't have the pamphlet for as I sorted the cards out by set and I have Deckside stacks from a few different sets as well as quite a few lands that I assume did not come from boosters. But I'm curious if there's a way for me to search with the cards that I have from the set to see if they match any of the preconstructed text for that set. Just trying to get a little variety out of what I have or if anyone can suggest a good app for the iPhone or a good website with information on building a casual deck. As well as more information on how to make it as balanced as possible so it's even odds for him while playing thanks Brice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Getting into magic for my son

Ok so then just google each deck list. I'm wondering if there's a way that I can input a particular card name and something will tell me if it is in a preconstructed deck that would help.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by cloakofdarkness View Post
    Ok so then just google each deck list.
    The deck lists are linked. To the right of each entry, after the colors, is a link that says "Card List".

I'm wondering if there's a way that I can input a particular card name and something will tell me if it is in a preconstructed deck that would help.
    You'd probably have to create such a reference. I'm not aware of one that exists.
    I typed Umezawa's Jitte into Gatherer because I know it was in the Rat's Nest precon, but it isn't denoted as belonging, so I think you are out of luck in that sense. Fortunately all of the decks you bought were probably from a similar time period!

Jun 2011
    n/a

Ok so then just google each deck list. I'm wondering if there's a way that I can input a particular card name and something will tell me if it is in a preconstructed deck that would help.

There is a link on the right cell that takes you to deck lists for the line item in question so you don't need to google it. Don't know if there is anything like what you want that for those early reconstructed decks though. Additionally there are tons of articles for building decks to teach people how to play and that you should google. Keep in mind its better to start simple with just lands creatures and sorcery cards.

Its also awesome that you going to play with you kids, My father learned to play with me and my brother when we were young and we all still play together now, Some of the best times of my life.

Yes they are all from the same time period with decks from onslaught, fifth dawn, dark steel and kamigawa. But I have a paper pamphlet like what comes in the decks from future site but it only lists the four decks that come with it and no card lists and I can't see anywhere specifically what deck it was four so I have to check into that. But I have quite a few cards from the 10th edition seventh edition Odyssey torment and judgment. And I don't remember buying boosters of those and I have a ton.

I guess if I build decks I'm looking to build them with a specific theme as far as creature cards and have a lot of different creatures versus four cards of the same creature so he doesn't get bored as he has ADHD and slight autism. But I figured this would be something for him to get into stay focused and keep occupied

Thank you for the idea I guess I will look through the cards I have and Google the name of the rare or an uncommon that is in my collection and see if it shows up any preconstructed decks. I tried it twice in Google and it worked. Googling Umezawa's Jitte Precon deck returned rats nest and cosmic larva Precon deck returned stampede so it might be possible for me if I tried to Google the Raiders I have in preconstructed decks to see if that's a possibility

Thread Information