Thread: Daydreams

Daydreams

Hey y'all, I have been building and testing a deck that I call Daydreams. It is basically built around Underworld Dreams and Day's Undoing. It is Blue, black, and has a splash of white. The general notion is that you build a board with one, two, or three Underworld Dreams, and you then play Days Undoing forcing your opponent to draw seven cards. Depending on the game state (have they been cracking fetches, digging with Griselbrand) it may take one or two plays of Days to go for lethal.

Your defense is built around counters and three maindeck Ensnaring Bridges and one copy of Terminus. Your consistency comes from Brainstorm, Lim Dul's Vault, Ponder, and Enlightened Tutor. Perhaps even Dig Through Time (though i havent tried it yet.)

Increasing the potency of Day's Undoing is Leyline of Anticipation, which gives your non land spells the ability to be played as if they had flash, meaning you can play Day's at the end of your opponents turn allowing you to have the first crack at a handful of seven new cards, if you cant play for full lethal (hopefully handing you a new copy of Day's, or your one of Braingeyser.)

I have also be toying with Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver as a planeswalker for an alternate win con (by stealing their Goyf and beating them up with it, by exiling their yard should they be on Lands, Reanimator, etc.) or by potentially decking them if you can hide behind your bridge long enough.

I have wanted to build a Legacy Deck around Underworld Dreams for a while, and I think Day's Undoing has really opened the potential to do so. Hell, if they unban Black Vise, this deck could be pretty clutch. Anyway, here's the list:

Spells

4x Underworld Dreams
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Day's Undoing
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Enlightened tutor
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Leyline of Anticipation
    2x Lim Dul's Vault
    2x Daze - $5
    2x spell pierce
    1x Ponder
    1x Terminus
    1x Replenish
    1x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
    1x Braingeyser

Land

2x underground sea
    2x tundra
    2x scrubland
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x flooded strand
    3x Swamp
    3x Island
    1x plains

know-it-all
    Sep 2009
    the end of the line

Re: Daydreams

Sadly, your deck idea won't work the way you want it to.
    Day's Undoing will trigger Underworld Dreams, but since it puts you from your main phase right into the cleanup step, those triggers will never go on the stack.

Only things that trigger during the "end the turn" portion of the spell (e.g. if you discard Emrakul, because your maximum hand size is reduced) will actually resolve.

So you either have to wait for another "Draw7" spell, or play Quicken or Leyline of Anticipation.

EDIT:... which I saw too late, you already do.
    So please take my post as a warning for anyone who wants to play that deck.

Its a great point, actually. Playing the Day's Undoing at the end of the opponents turn is the best option anyway, as not only will the Dreams trigger resolve, but you will not have to fill the opponents hand and give them first access to the new cards.

Shared Fate or Hive Mind have potential as alternative win cons for a deck like this.

Diminshing Returns, Dark Deal, and Whispering Madness might work well as part of your concept.

(I'm impatient, so I always want to put Molten Psyche and Cerebral Vortex into decks like this...)

Im also thinking Urza's Guilt might be a better play than braingeyser. The advantage of geyser is that theoretically it can be used to draw card for yourself, but as an instrument of damage, Urza's Guilt is superior.

Thread Information