Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Magic: The Addiction" -- my 20-year gaming journey. Book now available on Amazon.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Re: "Magic: The Addiction" -- my 20-year gaming journey. Book now available on Amazon

Just ordered my copy, looking forward to reading this!

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: "Magic: The Addiction" -- my 20-year gaming journey. Book now available on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    5-star review given on Amazon. :D

Congrats, James.
    Thanks man! You're in the dedication AND acknowledgements for a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Just ordered a copy! Looking forward to reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    Just ordered my copy, looking forward to reading this!
    Thanks guys! I hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    What are the others?
    Well, Menendian has written a few strategy/deck-specific e-books over at Eternal Central. They technically count. I've not read them so I can't tell you about the contents.

I was just trying to err on the side of caution with that statement.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Hey guys. I'm going to be running a Goodreads free book giveaway in a few days.

How it works: if you have a Goodreads account AND you're based in the United States, you will be able to sign up to enter a draw to win one of 20 free paperback books.

I'll update w/ details once the giveaway is live. Thanks for your support!
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Here it is. I'm giving away 20 paperback copies of my book.

If you are in the US of A and have a Goodreads account, enter into the random draw now:

https://writtenbyjames.com/2016/05/1...es-of-my-book/

If you win, I send you a paperback copy. Simple as that. Good luck!

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

So, as some of you may know, I had recently run and finished my third Source-based tournament. Towards the end of it, Plague Sliver had messaged me and offered to donate a few copies to the top eight and offered an on-the-spot digital copy to me. Naturally, not being one to refuse free stuff, I accepted and happily extended the expected endorsement in due time. However, it's been a while since he made that offer, and the reason I haven't posted until now is because I didn't want to preemptively endorse anything.

Back when Plague Sliver's book was more of a blog, I read it as religiously as could be expected. However, life got in the way and, like most good periodicals in my life, I figured I would just catch up when the story came to an end and was compiled. Well, end it did. I'm all caught up now, and the finished product performed exactly as I expected and wanted it to. That's not to lament that that the tale is predictable, but to say that it detailed some uncomfortable parallels to my own life concluded with some stark truths and experiences that I wish I had been confronted with sooner.

While I would certainly advise every Magic player to read this book, Magic: The Addiction is, through and through, the coming-of-age story for the competitive minded or aspiring competitive. Despite having the digital copy already downloaded on my laptop, phone, and work computer (gotta read sometime), I already have a physical copy ordered and primed for lending.

Thank you, Plague Sliver, for the donation, and thank you for the book itself.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

6 HOURS LEFT in the book giveaway:
    https://writtenbyjames.com/2016/05/1...es-of-my-book/

Context on how I wrote this book:
    https://writtenbyjames.com/2016/05/1...-seven-months/

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

After finishing my book "Magic: The Addiction," I was interviewed by three really cool guys with a really cool Magic podcast.

http://mtgcast.com/mtgcast-podcast-s...lumbus-pregame

Even if you have no intention of reading the book, it's a fun talk where I talk about:
    - Why I started writing a book
    - Why I moved to China
    - My bromance with sdematt and why he might be a drug dealer (I'm joking!)
    - The highs and lows of playing a competitive game, and investing too much emotionally into it
    - How to deal with balancing gaming and relationships

It's a fun conversation and the hosts Jerry Mee, Patrick Euglow, and Adrian "Mathematrickster" are awesome people with an awesome Magic talk show. Hope you can check it out!

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

sdematt is scarier than a drug dealer. I think that, statistically speaking, his profession is the one that the average person is most afraid of interacting with.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

sdematt rocks.

On another note, I just showed up on "The Eh Team" podcast to talk about the book. Couldn't resist more name drops, commentary about EMA, the Reserved List, the state of Magic writing, and more. Check it out:

http://manadeprived.com/eh-team-283-expectations/

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    sdematt rocks.

On another note, I just showed up on "The Eh Team" podcast to talk about the book. Couldn't resist more name drops, commentary about EMA, the Reserved List, the state of Magic writing, and more. Check it out:

http://manadeprived.com/eh-team-283-expectations/
    Highlights with timestamps? 2 hours is rough.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Go with the first hour. It's actually more like 2 episodes in one.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Somehow, I made it to the front page of Ars Technica. Check it out

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...oves-to-china/

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

A 30-minute audio primer on the book, if you're interested.

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic...s-about-a-book

Thread Information