Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of Legacy?

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

Re: The future of Legacy?

GP Prague 2016!!! Looking forward to this event.

On topic: our local legacy events still get about 12 - 22 people. It is like this for about 4 years. Bigger cities in 100km from here seen some decreasing popularity but I think Prague is still running strong (maybe slosh can confirm).

Quote Originally Posted by theBloody View Post
    GP Prague 2016!!! Looking forward to this event.

On topic: our local legacy events still get about 12 - 22 people. It is like this for about 4 years. Bigger cities in 100km from here seen some decreasing popularity but I think Prague is still running strong (maybe slosh can confirm).
    Prague is a nice surprise, wow we get so many great events lately

it's going down last 2-3 years since there are 2 shops and 2 weeklies people split their time between both so you're facing the same people at lower numbers which hurts the overall attendence imo, also payout changed into more relaxed... we get very rarely get over 20 in the bigger one (which used to be the norm years back) more like 14-16 and 10-12 in the smaller one, it basicaly works because of a guy who can lend out 3+ decks in each event

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

@Sloshthedark: Ah, I thought it was better :/. At least Zuzy saving the day with legacy series and Prague Eternal.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

That's not true, Sváča is killing the community similarly to how a sharpie hurt the Vintage.

There are no Legacy addicts/affivocados (that word) anymore, as everything a random dude needs to do is to lend a Brainstorm.dec, wear a "zis is a seriouz game, ima serious palyer" mask and start throwing cantrips all over the lgs. Those dudes don't give a smallest damn about Legacy, they'd be Warcracking or vandalize benches, but as long as there are cards to borrow, they'll waste my time by poisoning the air in Rytíř as it's much closer to Burgerking than their usual shitshop or dealer.

The prices of duals and stuff (heck, Waste is USD 100 affair, right?) are only a part of the trouble, as the decks/gameplay is unbearable no matter the price; it'll suck even if they'd be giving SnT for free in minimarket. There's no spell in what a usual Legacy tournament may offer

What's true is that ever since the prices of certain cards went absurd (while the others kept in the 2009-ish range), there's hardly anything that can motivate you to build a Legacy deck, not to mention a collection, becasue most of it is a waste of cardboard. My "collection" is a complete waste of space, as there's nothing to brew except in the blue shell of a Card That Shall Dwell Alone unless you're bent on trying your luck with miscarriages of a deck, but then why oh why should I ever need an lgs to start with? I may just as well dick with my real friends (baring I'd have any) without having to pay for stinky air in a pit full of adolescent morons whose lifestyle I don't share and whose worldview (if they have any at all) I despise: so there's just that damned Magic that should keep me inthere... yet the game turned into such a rubbish in past three or four years that words can't even tell hashtagGrizzlyband, hashtagOmniderp, hashtagDelver, hashtagSnapguy, hashtagTerminus.

Basically what's killing Legacy (beyond the obvious points that Arzar and co. wrote about already) is that it's not a communal thing anymore. There's no reason why you'd bring your old friends in a "go try your old deck, it's a real fun with those old cards" style as there's simply none of that fun anymore. I'd take the extreme risk to sound like an old whiner (which I really am), but back when I started to play Legacy (2007/8?), everything was possible in a (semi)serious setting I played within. Then the field narrowed and narowed with every printing and every (un)banning up to the point where you don't need glasses to acknowldege the deck by the first non-BS spell cast. Even few years ago Legacy was (kind of) interesting, but seeing the ever the same sequences of ever the same spells with ever the same results being played by ever the same people gets really old quite fast.

CCGs are relics of bygone era.

Oct 2008
    Studio City, CA

I will continue doing my part to keep legacy alive and recruit new players.
    $5 Legacy FNM every week that almost always fire.
    Monthly legacy events at least half of them with $1000+ in staples prize pools

No deck or want to try something different?
    11 decks are available to borrow, just don’t riffle shuffle them please.

/
    webmaster@knight-ware.com
    http://www.knight-ware.com

Legacy FNM's every Friday at 7pm,
    Store Credit tournaments 2nd Sunday of each Odd numbered Month
    Some kind of Staples tournament 2nd Sunday of each Even numbered Month

3rd Sunday of most months is Uncanctioned Vintage and Casual Day
    93/94 OldSchool, Vintage, Legacy, PreModern, Pauper, EDH, ...
    I can do rounds for any format that wants it.

4th Sunday of the month is PreModern

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Not correct.
    I'm pretty sure Workshop aggro took over when they could consistently drop workshop, mox, lodestone golem followed by sphere of resistance, thorn of amethyst and more lodestone golems. I mean, as a workshop player I was a part of it. Curious about your views though.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Krieg View Post

/
    Give this man a cookie. Props for hanging in there.

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    How on earth could this be a thing? People always traveled hours for tourneys if they love to play Legacy / Modern / Pauper / whatever; I won't believe that players' decisions are based on the starthour of the first round.
    Why wouldn't you believe that? You don't think that people generally prefer to sleep in longer? Obviously the people who really want to play Legacy would play Legacy, but if someone plays both then the timing is a definite sticking point. I absolutely believe that starting later means some people would take Modern over Legacy; I can tell you that it's part of the reason I'd play Modern at a nearby SCG rather than Legacy.

By the way, Modern really sucks.
    Even if that's true (and I don't think it is), I don't see how that has the slightest relevance to my point.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Krieg View Post

/
    This is exactly how should it work.
    Props for pointing out the NO RIFFLE SHUFFLE PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Why wouldn't you believe that? You don't think that people generally prefer to sleep in longer? Obviously the people who really want to play Legacy would play Legacy, but if someone plays both then the timing is a definite sticking point. I absolutely believe that starting later means some people would take Modern over Legacy; I can tell you that it's part of the reason I'd play Modern at a nearby SCG rather than Legacy.

Even if that's true (and I don't think it is), I don't see how that has the slightest relevance to my point.
    If I'm planning a tournament, less sleep is one of the first thing to consider. I'd sleep the night right after, or even better, go earlier in bed the day before.

About the debatable format, feel free to play whatever you prefer, ofc. In my point view, if I had the chance to play Legacy over Modern, the decision would be very clear, fck off timetables, but that's just me.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

SCG has a Legacy Open this weekend...and all their content is Standard / Modern / Commander so far this week. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    SCG has a Legacy Open this weekend...and all their content is Standard / Modern / Commander so far this week. Sad.
    http://www.starcitygames.com/article...is-Delver.html

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Great. A premium video watching the exact match up that I'm sure we'll see on camera for half the rounds this weekend. Riveting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Ha, well at least here in Austin, TX Legacy is thriving, 25 people usually every weekly, + a 50-75+ person event every month.
    Team FireBrothers

It's not surprising that Legacy is seeing a a slow death of support from Wizards and Starcitygames. There's simply no real financial incentive to continue to pander to the Legacy community. Wizards has clearly determined in their focus group research that Limited and Standard are the most enjoyable formats for the casual player, and Wizards makes the most money catering to the casual player, so they focus their support on formats that appeal to the casual player. There's just nothing you can really do about it at this point, short of turning Wizards/Hasbro into non-profit organizations.

Just enjoy the few big Legacy tournaments we have left (a few Opens here and there, two GPs within the next year, Eternal Extravaganza 3, a few IQs...), try to find a Modern and/or Standard deck you enjoy playing - as hard as that can be for some Legacy people, it *is* possible to enjoy these "lesser" formats as they still are, after all, Magic - and move on with your life. Sell most of your cards that you don't play with in your main Legacy deck and invest in more Modern staples. Sure, it might suck to have to do this, but in the long run you either have to adapt or turn into that fuddy-duddy that constantly talks about the "golden age" of Magic, and that guy is just lame.
    Last edited by MGB; 08-11-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: EE3 not EE2

I never played legacy and I never played competitive magic. Despite of this I recently bought several legacy staples and spent around 3k. I used to play as a teenager just for fun and I was always drawn to the game. Legacy seems very fun and exciting to me at this point.

I really don’t see how legacy is more expensive than any other hobby / sport. I bought a cross country bike for 3k and I bought my cards for 3k, what’s all the fuss about? Do I bitch because my bike set me back 3k? No It’s a fun bike and I like it. And my bike will crash in price no matter what I do. So even if card prices totally crash it will be the same for me as with other hobbies. I don’t drive my bike competitively nor do I want to be the world champion. The same applies to mtg I’m not looking to get “rich and famous” and all cute winning big tournaments. I’m here to have fun the old fashion way. So I choose the deck that appealed to me the most and bought in although I don’t even know how to play it – hopefully that’ll change in time. What I’m trying to say is that with a fairly reasonable income one can spend several k now and then for stuff like travel, sports and hobbies. Don’t get me wrong I don’t have cash to throw around… in that case I would buy into vintage I guess? After all spending money is the only true freedom we have left.

Mr. Bed Decks Palyer expressed his concerns about the younger generation (which is worrying in general I have to agree), maybe legacy just isn’t meant for them? Why would it be a bad format if it was just us older dudes? Let’s ban hyped rich kids not emrakul right? Let’s play BIG magic! Why settle for less? That’s what it’s all about isn't it? If the current decks are domination legacy I guess they’re the best decks mankind made right?
    Maybe u guys who find the format stale should move to other formats, games, hobbies,… regardless of the “health” legacy is in. You seem to be bored with it anyways. When we noobs buy your legacy collections you’ll see innovation! Once we figure out what you guys were doing for the last decade or two you’ll see a whole lot of variety as we netdeck your builds to whole new levels…

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    It's not surprising that Legacy is seeing a a slow death of support from Wizards and Starcitygames.
    MGB, you've been here at least three years. Haven't you seen these doomsaying threads before? Legacy used to be a lot smaller before SCG started running a traveling tournament series, and Legacy was fine even then.

Scenes obviously wax and wane as years go on and people move, but there have been decent threads on these boards that talk about how to grow a scene. Anybody's who's unhappy with the gaming options in their area can apply that advice to their situation and bring in new players. I recognize that this is harder to do in rural areas, but my observation is that a lot of people just don't try.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    MGB, you've been here at least three years. Haven't you seen these doomsaying threads before? Legacy used to be a lot smaller before SCG started running a traveling tournament series, and Legacy was fine even then.

Scenes obviously wax and wane as years go on and people move, but there have been decent threads on these boards that talk about how to grow a scene. Anybody's who's unhappy with the gaming options in their area can apply that advice to their situation and bring in new players. I recognize that this is harder to do in rural areas, but my observation is that a lot of people just don't try.
    There's only so much community-sponsored events can offer the serious Legacy competitor.

Unless you're strictly a casual player, there's simply no replacement for a Legacy Grand Prix or even a Legacy Open or Premiere IQ.

I love Legacy more than any other format, but if there were no SCG events and no Grand Prix events for Legacy, I probably would never play the format in person.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

There's only so much community-sponsored events can offer the serious Legacy competitor.

Unless you're strictly a casual player, there's simply no replacement for a Legacy Grand Prix or even a Legacy Open or Premiere IQ.

I love Legacy more than any other format, but if there were no SCG events and no Grand Prix events for Legacy, I probably would never play the format in person.
    I think this depends entirely on your community. I'm in no way a casual player. In my area we played 80-person and 100-person Legacy tournaments for duals or a Lotus years ago. We didn't need GPs or SCG. SCG's involvement has bumped attendance up more, and, yeah, Opens and GPs are larger than our homegrown events, but those weren't necessary for a thriving community here. We can still request Legacy Opens and GPs, but my opinion is that people should focus on growing their communities if they are unsatisfied.

Just enjoy the few big Legacy tournaments we have left (a few Opens here and there, two GPs within the next year, Eternal Extravaganza 2, a few IQs...), try to find a Modern and/or Standard deck you enjoy playing -
    REALLY think about what you just said.

Legacy is dead. I don't see any local tournaments that are being held. $300 Underground Seas and Brainstorm saturated decks are the cause.

Go dig up this crazy bird's posting history. I called this shit years/months ago.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    REALLY think about what you just said.

Legacy is dead. I don't see any local tournaments that are being held. $300 Underground Seas and Brainstorm saturated decks are the cause.

Go dig up this crazy bird's posting history. I called this shit years/months ago.
    A broken clock is right twice a day
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information