Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Commander 2015 discussion

Re: Commander 2015 discussion

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/...97384225619968

Commander cards are only coming to mtgo as prize packs for cube, no more pre-cons for sale. I'm not sure what this will do to the prices. True-name and toxic deluge seemed propped up by the price of their pre-con for a long time so I could see prices being cheaper however I'm not confident that a few weeks of a weird ass cube format will result in enough supply for legacy/vintage if there are really good chase cards like there have been in the past.
    Last edited by supremePINEAPPLE; 08-07-2015 at 02:56 PM.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    You laugh, but the lifegain can often be relevant when up against another aggro deck (including the Burn mirror).
    I'm not laughing. I truly am incredulous that power plays like Angel's Mercy haven't managed to break out into Modern yet.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/...97384225619968

Commander cards are only coming to mtgo as prize packs for cube, no more pre-cons for sale. I'm not sure what this will do to the prices. True-name and toxic deluge seemed propped up by the price of their pre-con for a long time so I could see prices being cheaper however I'm not confident that a few weeks of a weird ass cube format will result in enough supply for legacy/vintage if their are really good chase cards like there have been in the past.
    Interesting. It should make the prices a more natural match against the paper prices then. Consider Stoneforge Mystic, a card that should be $25-30, but online it's only $2.50 because it was printed in that Event deck so the market is completely flooded with them. Flusterstorm is only 4.41, $60 cheaper than paper, because the decks stay available in the online store forever. No way anyone is paying 60 tix for a card when they can drop $30 and get ~60 more decent to playable cards with it.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/index/CMD#online

On the flip side though, while the new cards may be scarcer online, it protects the value of the reprints in the deck. See Oblivion Stone from that list. $18, when the paper one is over $30. It'll never reach that level as long as the decks are available, for the same point I've made before. So selling the decks in the store indefinitely puts a ceiling on the price of cards already available (just like SFM). Another option they have is to just sell them in a two- or three-week window, which they've done with their MTGO-only supplements (MEs, TPR, VM), and then drop them from the store. The upside is that casuals aren't upset that they have to play a new format just to get packs that MAY contain a new card they want (instead of just dropping $30 in the store and calling it a day), but the downside is that it's hard to predict the ultimate result because speculators could drop $3k on 100 decks and ride that along as the prices eventually rise over time.

So I guess we have to hope that these prize packs, with exclusive (and otherwise hopefully decent) cards available are enough of a draw to bring more interest in the new Cube format. The supply of these cards is directly correlated with how successful it is, but the interesting thing is that we aren't playing with goofy Phantom Points anymore. So anyone who plays constructed/limited under the new PP system can get free entry into a Cube draft for these packs. I think it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

(And if it sucks and the cards are super expensive, they'll be back in LM or VM2 or whatever MTGO supplement comes up next.)

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Flusterstorm is only 4.41, $60 cheaper than paper, because the decks stay available in the online store forever. No way anyone is paying 60 tix for a card when they can drop $30 and get ~60 more decent to playable cards with it.
    Flusterstorm actually followed the same curve as true-name nemesis and toxic deluge until vintage masters was announced. It was a ~25 ticket card during the theros block period and only gradually became cheaper because of VMA.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I'm not laughing. I truly am incredulous that power plays like Angel's Mercy haven't managed to break out into Modern yet.
    Pretty sure I've seen Feed the Clan in Modern sideboards.

What was this thread about again?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Yeah, it's going to be some EDH general fodder like "Frangelica, Keeper of the Deathrite"
    Oh, right, you might be onto something. Same thing as with poor Nahiri and the Stoneforge Mystics!

Thread Information