Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mtgthesource - names origins

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Re: mtgthesource - names origins

My initials are JRS and I'm the third one in my family. So simple.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I couldnt figure out a proper username that I wouldn't regret. I ended up not even trying on figuring out a user name, hence my username
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

I got back into Magic in Time Spiral. I always remembered the awesomeness of Juzam Djinn, but I never could afford one. Now there was a budget version of the Juzam Djinn? Sign me up!

I'm definitely a black mage at heart.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Pa Po Pe
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Pa Po Pe
    Pure winning

When I was in high school I was pretty much the archetypal nerd (still kind of am), and I hung out with other such nerds. Mostly we would just sit around at someone's house and talk while listening to music. For whatever reason, all of us with our varying tastes in music, had Don McLean's "American Pie" on the playlist/mix CD (holy god, remember those?) that we would listen to, and we would always stop talking and sing along with it. Maybe a year later I started getting active on the old Magic-League website and needed a name for the IRC channel there. The only thing I could think of was a line from American Pie; "As Lennon read a book on Marx..."

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    It was originally Dick Cheese but they made me change it.
    I thought you were a fan of the musician https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at02Fvdhk2I

Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs

Well, my name is pretty obvious. Use to smoke a lot of marijuana back in the day, guess it was a natural thing to do being a native of Colorado. Eventually, I grew up and had to give up the habit in order to get a good job. Today, I work for NBC, which is how I am able to afford my legacy addiction. The whole on-line community from XDA to Xbox knows me by this name, and have kept it ever since.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Excuse the small necro. This thread inspired me to write more about why I christened myself Plague Sliver. I also couldn't help but bring up Reserve List, power creep, functional reprints, old vs new artwork, the sliver mechanic and suicide black in my attempt to tie things together.

Sounds crazy to throw all that in but I hope it's still entertaining and readable.

https://medium.com/@james_hsu/black-...926#.da4q0v775
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Mine's music related.

Way back in the early days of the internet, I was an early adopter of P2P filesharing. I was on Napster almost from the start and shared quite a bit of electronic music (house, trance, techno, and the like). Just before Napster got shut down, a bunch of different P2P programs came out, including Gnutella, which was one of the first decentralized P2P networks.

At the time I was searching for a new username for my online stuff. At the time, music was the big thing for me so I was looking for something that would incorporate my love of music. I decided to take the GNU from Gnutella (which was a hat tip to the GNU Project), and House from my love of music, merged the two, and here I am now

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

No, i'm not Tyler T... something

Was playing Everquest a long long time ago (Kunark expansion) and was bored of chasing Giants in one of the kunark zone with my necro.
    I started a completely different character, a warrior and choose a name out of the blue: Tylert. That sounded nice, and i did not reallized at that time that it was nearly an american name...
    However, I started using this on different forums :)

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

2003 I registered the first time on a mtg website (Mercadia.de) and thought about a username, I wanted something wizard or manipulated like. I thought about Icy manipulator because I liked the card in my begining of magic and decided to name Manipulator but instead of register "Manipulator" I wrote "Manipulato", I made an mistake during writing

To have only 1 username on the internet I decided to take that name for the future no matter if I wrote it wrong
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Enjoyable thread! Would read again.
    I very much enjoyed Julian23's post.

The band that spoke to me most as an adolescent was 311. They remain my favorite band and I will forever purchase any CD they release even though my only CD player now is in my car. Homebrew is a song from their second major label album. It was released before I started listening to them, but at a time when their third album was blowing up I differentiated myself from the trendy fans by saying my favorite song was a lesser known one from an older album. At about that time my parents bought a computer with internet access and for the first time I needed a handle (for AOL Instant Messanger ).

Shortly after, I delved into online computer gaming. I was an avid reader of Robert Heinlein and had finished my favorite novel Starship Troopers. Some (I wanna say) Yahoo! searches on the book lead me to a website for The Roughnecks, a gaming clan for the Microsoft game Outwars. I immediately committed myself to buying this game and joining The Roughnecks. I bought the game and rushed through the single player campaign, then started gearing up for multiplayer. I needed a name though... I didn't want to be too on-the-nose with Johnny Rico (which I learned later someone had already chosen) so I went for an obscure character who gave Rico a hard time; Ace Levy. Within a month of playing, The Roughnecks disbanded. I never had the chance to join, but Outwars consumed my evenings and weekends for years after Microsoft stopped supporting it...

When it came time to sign up for TheSource, I needed a name. I had only ever been known by two handles online, Ace and Homebrew.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Ace Levy
    DAMMIT

First thing I did when I saw you made "a new post" in this thread was Google search the largest possible image of film-Ace's ugly mug. Warming up a sweet joke, I read your post only to find out that you stole my god damn thunder.

I mean, part of me wants to commend you on your fine taste (in books at least), but not being able to get in that sick dis in leaves me feeling a bit lost and even a bit empty inside.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I thought I had posted here...maybe it was an old thread.

My username comes from way back when, I decided that I needed a new username for every forum, but I really wanted it to be short and thoroughly ambiguous. At the time, I'd have said my favorite band was Tool and my favorite song was H., so I went with it as it filled all my criteria. Trouble is/was that most fora don't allow a user name less than three characters, so in various places it translates to H, .H., _H_, and so on. Not really very interesting...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Came here expecting your name to be connected to heroin.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Ace's ugly mug.

Strolling down memory lane got me searching for Outwars again...
    There's a Facebook page for it now with 152 likes. *sigh*

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Came here expecting your name to be connected to heroin.
    That's a much better story. Pretend you didn't read my post and stick with that.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Everyone call me this in college due to freshman year, it means battery(like a triple AAA one) in portuguese.
    If you ever see a Stackz in other place its me as well, a dumbass friend of mine translated Pilhas to Stacks(Stack is also Pilhas in portuguese) and kinda stuck in a small group of friends.

My magic portuguese friends always wonder if I am called pilhas because of the piles(stacks) of garbage I sometimes play at tournaments

Thread Information