Thread: New GP Structure

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

New GP Structure

So, still three Legacy GPs next year. One in each of USA, Europe and Japan. However, notice that two of them (USA and Europe) are scheduled on the same dates (June 11th and 12th). The short reasoning explaining this (I think) is this: "Another goal next year will be to group Grand Prix run the same weekend more naturally under the same theme. For example, we are working to make sure that all GPs hosted during a weekend are the same format.". In true WotC fashion they succeed in not being clear about their goals. At least I don't really get it.

This can't help but reduce the (potential for) attendance for each of these two GPs as people can't very well be in two places at once. Why do you think they would do this? Will both GPs still draw as big of a crowd as one could wish for? Ie: is the amount of Americans going to European GPs and vice versa negligable?

You can read the entire update here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/PTOriginsOPAnnouncement

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Re: New GP Structure

Next paragraph:

This schedule will give us the opportunity to provide the right amount of focus for each Grand Prix, while also following the lessons we learned from Modern Masters Weekend as we begin planning another event of that magnitude. Modern Masters Weekend required fifteen months of preparation, and we want to offer players an even better show next time.
    Makes sense to me, having two weekends would be better though.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    Next paragraph:

Makes sense to me, having two weekends would be better though.
    I guess I still don't really understand how this translates into cramming two of the three Legacy GPs together on the same weekend? How will this give them opportunity to provide the "right amount of focus for each Grand Prix"? Won't having the same format on display twice on the same weekend on two different continents stretch their focus?

Like, the way they were spread out this calender year was pretty ideal if you wanted to go to all three of them. Spaced out with 2-3 months between them.

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

By reading what they wrote I would rather get it if they choose to make European and Asian GP in the same day. I must admit that they chose good areas to host Legacy GPs in Europe and US. I hope to see 1,3k+ attendance on each tournament. The distanse between the Prague and Columbus is still > 6500 km so I don't think many players would go to both of them. Maybe dozens but not hundreds.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    I guess I still don't really understand how this translates into cramming two of the three Legacy GPs together on the same weekend? How will this give them opportunity to provide the "right amount of focus for each Grand Prix"? Won't having the same format on display twice on the same weekend on two different continents stretch their focus?

Like, the way they were spread out this calender year was pretty ideal if you wanted to go to all three of them. Spaced out with 2-3 months between them.
    It makes pre-coverage much easier. Instead of having to focus on each of them seperately, they can now more justifiably devote an entire week's worth of articles to both GP combined. That being said, this would still be more worthwile and succesful if there was more than one of those weekends. For example having two North American Legacy GP, one paired with the European one, the other with the Japanese one.
    Sadly, it makes much more sense for them to push Modern, as that actually sells product. Modern Masters directly gets people interested in Modern; Modern directly gets people interested in Modern Masters.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I actually considered playing more Modern but then I realized there's only 2 European Modern GPs, which is also just 1 more than there is Legacy; nothing super exciting.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Well Wotc makes policy for all of their formats and tournaments, they don't look at Legacy as something super unique and special that needs to be catered too or have special attention put on it, cause realistically it doesn't.

MM2015 weekend is a special and unique GP, legacy GP's just aren't, they are just regular GP's pretty much, with a less used format in their eyes. As stated above, this makes a lot more sense from a coverage and article stand point, really easy to draw up story lines and narratives in the lead up to a weekend with a bunch of events that are the same. In the past when there was a Sealed GP and a Standard GP on the same weekend, i'm sure they saw the huge web traffic disparity between them, also making players have to decide whether to play more local or travel farther for a better format is pretty terrible, this way you just go to whatever is closer which is a good change.

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post

Long story short: When Wizards come up with policy for all formats, they don't give a damn about Legacy. Hence, while the policy makes sense for Standard and Modern by grouping, it's actually reducing total attendance number for Legacy.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    it's actually reducing total attendance number for Legacy.
    By like... forty people tops.

The real killer here is just quality of life.

Guys, we really should be happy about getting 3 Legacy GP for the second year in a row.
    Look at it this way: We get to compete between US and Europe for attendance and best metagame.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    Sadly, it makes much more sense for them to push Modern, as that actually sells product. Modern Masters directly gets people interested in Modern; Modern directly gets people interested in Modern Masters.
    They'd make a boatload of money on a Legacy Masters set. Reserved List or not. Also a way to bring supplemental product cards (TNN, Dack, Containment Priest, Deluge, etc.) into more supply without using Standard sets. May or may not be inclusive of Modern; if so, cards like Snapcaster/Blood Moon could be selling points to the Modern crowd too.

Edit - Possible Mythic Rares (under Reserved List), geared towards Vintage/Legacy/Commander playables (MOSTLY $$$ concerns, not power):

Berserk
    Demonic Tutor
    Nevinyrral's Disk
    Sinkhole
    Karakas
    Mana Drain (not Legacy, obviously would need a different name then)
    Reset
    Blood Moon (depending whether it's exclusive of Modern or not)
    Maze of Ith
    Force of Will
    Natural Order
    Vampiric Tutor (same note as MD)
    Grindstone
    Scroll Rack
    Wasteland
    Argothian Enchantress
    Gamble
    Phyrexian Tower
    Show and Tell
    Sneak Attack
    Defense of the Heart

Other playable/cool reprints:

Oubliette
    Chain Lightning
    Concordant Crossroads
    Land Tax
    Pendelhaven
    Sylvan Library
    Enlightened Tutor
    Worldly Tutor
    Desertion
    Ancient Tomb
    Mirri's Guile
    Burgeoning

Edit:

This is just counting normal sets pre-Masques (where the Reserved List ends). There are so many more cards from Portal/Starter sets (Ravages of War, Imperial Recruiter, Cruel Bargain, etc.) and supplemental multiplayer products (stables like TNN, Toxic Deluge, Containment Priest, Flusterstorm, etc.) that need reprints too. It would certainly spike some new interest in the format, and while the reprints will decrease in price slightly, it will be offset by an increase in dual land prices. The cool thing is, the new kids from Modern already have sets of fetchlands and shocklands, so they can approximate a viable manabase at the LGS level while saving up for the real lands. And even 1 Volcanic Island in a deck with 8 fetches will go a long way.

Plus wouldn't drafting this stuff and seeing a lot of cards in new card face for the first time just be awesome!?
    Last edited by jrsthethird; 08-05-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Jrsthethird, I really like your optimism

Legacy is fast becoming Vintage Part Deux! What I'm really excited about is:

It's in Prague!

Better prize-money for the lucky winner (Up to 2,999 players: $50,000
    3,000+ players: $75,000

All players with an X-3 record at the end of Day One will have the opportunity to continue playing on Sunday.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Thread Information