Thread: Lowering MUD's mana curve

Lowering MUD's mana curve

Central argument for doing this:

Cards like Wurmcoil Engine and Steel Hellkite often feel like Win-More cards in today's Legacy metagame… what is MUD really concerned with today pitting itself against a creature field? Combo elves, Delver, Pyromancer 1/1 tokens, Batterskull-Germ-Token, Death-And-Taxes… it seems like the card choices MUD has towers over this field.

Chalice of The Void and Trinisphere are really good, but what use is Grim Monolith and Metalworker in a format like this?

If you were to cut those cards and still play the consistency offered with Cloudposts mana , how would you do it? Is there a rational reason to try to play a lower mana curve and what tools could MUD use with a higher threat density ?

One way I thought of doing this is by playing a Nevinyrral's Disk-like effect, with Chimeric Idol, Chimeric Mass, and Mishra's Factory .
    Something that wipes but doesn't wipe artifacts. Might not exist I guess.

I guess I was interested in something in between Affinity and MUD , lol … I was wondering if there are any viable strategies that are colourless that don't play huge things.

May 2005
    Wisconsin

Re: Lowering MUD's mana curve

Quote Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
    but what use is Grim Monolith and Metalworker in a format like this?
    Have you played those 2 cards?

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    Have you played those 2 cards?
    I have a complete MUD deck but I believe Metalworker and Grim Monolith are the deck's two weakest cards .

Mind Stone -- Adds 1 , or cantrips .

Guardian Idol -- Adds 1, or beats for 2 . Good against Miracles.

Palladium Myr -- Has been discussed as a Grim Monolith alternative.. adds 2, untaps every turn, easily casts past Spell Pierce.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

if you are already running Cloupost-base plus Sol Lands and want faster threats you need to run 4 Batterskulls first. MUD is the only deck which can replay and attach those over and over again in the mid and lategame and it comes down as early as turn 3 to slow down early assaults, creating an endless stream of attackers and blockers in the face of removal which is usually a bit tricky for MUD if your sole threat bites the dust.

i really hate the high variance package of Monolith/Metalworker/Forgemaster myself and prefer the aggro-lifegain route with this deck paired with the classic manadenial package Chalice/3Sphere/Lodestone/Thorn.

batterskull/Wurmcoil/Sundering Titan is my personal favorite selection of hitters in this build
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Hangarback Walker

Imba boys

But jokes aside, Batterskull is for sure a strong pick. If you play Cloudpost package, you may add a singleton Godo as a batterskull enabler as it just win the game if you untap with it. Ugin is also a sweeper + a win condition all in one, by far the best walker you can play in those decks. Second is Daretti.

I'd try something alongside those lines:

2 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    2 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Daretti, Scrap Savant
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Sundering Titan
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Contagion Engine
    2 Mountain
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 Hangarback Walker
    2 Banefire
    SB: 3 Sudden Demise
    SB: 2 Boil
    SB: 2 Manic Vandal
    SB: 2 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 4 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I just like how people are seriously responding to a guy who has the word "Troll" in his name and is claiming Mind Stone and Palladium Myr are better than Grim Monolith, a card which was banned in Legacy not all that long ago.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I just like how people are seriously responding to a guy who has the word "Troll" in his name and is claiming Mind Stone and Palladium Myr are better than Grim Monolith, a card which was banned in Legacy not all that long ago.
    Grim Monolith is great in a format without a lot of counter spells, but is very slow to untap and reuse. With a lot of counter spells, the untap matters more . Thran Dynamo is another option.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
    Grim Monolith is great in a format without a lot of counter spells, but is very slow to untap and reuse. With a lot of counter spells, the untap matters more . Thran Dynamo is another option.
    Wait...you're supposed to untap it?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If only there was a land that could make whatever you cast uncounterable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What if you lowered the curve of MUD, ran Sphere of Resistance and Winter Orb and still capitalize on the 12Post manabase? Hmmmm
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    What if you lowered the curve of MUD, ran Sphere of Resistance and Winter Orb and still capitalize on the 12Post manabase? Hmmmm
    That's what I am thinking , with Extruder

bruizar

Lowering the curve of MUD was one of two reasons I first started developing godo mud (The other was having a swords to plowshares/jace 2.0 proof threat, because investing so much mana only to have it nullified for W means you will lose. Magic is a game about resource optimization after all.)

Three cards that served this role best were Moltensteel Dragon, Godo, Bandit Warlord and Batterskull. Batterskull is 1 mana cheaper than Wurmocoil Engine and is stronger against spot removal. Godo is on par with Wurmcoil Engine but provides the flexibility to kill Jace immediately with Lightning Greaves, or spam the board with a Batterskull helping against Swords to Plowshares. Moltensteel Dragon can be cast with only 4 mana, giving you the flexibility to play the game even when you're lacking a mana heavy hand. It's also extremely aggressive in that it usually ends the game in 2 or 3 attacks at most.

Thread Information