Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: (Article) Format Problems and Solutions by Shaheen Soorani

Re: (Article) Format Problems and Solutions by Shaheen Soorani

It is not correct to put Miracles and Lands in the same category regarding slow play. RG Lands is pretty combofocussed in 4x Depths/Stage/croprotation/gamble (especially most recent builds maindecking 4 Depths) to make a 20/20 game-ending token. Often (in Swords-lacking fair matchups) this comboplan will characterize a match more than the manadenial- or PunishingFire-plan, ending the game much sooner, and usually not going to time.

Matches will become slow the more answers a deck has to a returning Marit Lage, such as Swords, Snapcaster (returning Swords), Jace, chumpblocking Lingering Souls, postboard RIP or extraction. Esper Stoneblade is a pretty slowplay matchup in this regard. You cannot blame the slowplay on Lands for Esper maindecking many answers to Marit Lage. Same for the slowplay caused by PunishingFiring an opponent to death. That's usually due to an impossible comboplan, caused by hatecards like Pithing Needle, Extraction, Ensnaring Bridge ... Again, you cannot blame Lands for having it's comboplan being hated out by sideboardcards.

So my take on the matter is that Lands' slowplaying is matchupdependant (as it's both a combodeck and a prisonstrategy), and not an inherent characteristic of Lands. And because the slowplay is pretty much due to the Esper-matchup (and is more caused by Esper than Lands), I find the call for banning cards pretty absurd.

bruizar

If chump blocking really becomes a problem there is always kessig wolf run to give marit lage trample.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That's something, but as an answer it's so small and narrow I would think it just taking up space for something stronger. If you balance all the times Wolf Run would be good and sit it next to another card like Bojuka Bog, Karakas, Urborg or even another Depths and it's just not worth it. You might see the deck lose a game here and there that Run would have won, but you will win more games with Karakas in its place over the long run.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    It is not correct to put Miracles and Lands in the same category regarding slow play.
    The slow-play complaint is a facade - This article is about bad match-ups for buddy's deck of choice (which is much slower and grindier than Lands).

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    If chump blocking really becomes a problem there is always kessig wolf run to give marit lage trample.
    Kessig Wolf Run is an all-star in Lands.dec, provided you are playing EDH.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Sep 2011

If bannings do need to take place, should it really be to stop the few tables that end up playing the LEGALLY ALLOTTED ROUND TIME (oh noes... round didn't end 20 mins early so we have to be patient... time to get food/trade?) or to stop the decks that drop turn 2 fatties with 21 cards in hand and 3 FoW backup...

Author seems to have an unspoken bias that Legacy should be more explosive combo and Modern should be less combo and more control.

Thread Information