Thread: Thopter foundry

Thopter foundry

I was observing a game last weekend where a player activated thopter foundry a few times, made the tokens, but did not record any change in life. Is this a "missed trigger"? If his opponent knows how thopter foundry works, is he obligated to inform the player that he should gain life in addition to making tokens?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: Thopter foundry

Quote Originally Posted by topef27 View Post
    I was observing a game last weekend where a player activated thopter foundry a few times, made the tokens, but did not record any change in life. Is this a "missed trigger"? If his opponent knows how thopter foundry works, is he obligated to inform the player that he should gain life in addition to making tokens?
    Yes, he should.

Quote Originally Posted by topef27 View Post
    Thopter Foundry

The Infraction Procedure Guide can be a lot to take in, but it's not a bad idea to give it a read.

We're talking about an activated ability here, so it's not a Missed Trigger. Even if it had been a trigger, the player would've demonstrated awareness of the trigger - they made the tokens - so it's not a Missed Trigger. Rather, it's a Game Rule Violation, the catch-all for not following a game procedure correctly. The opponent in this case needs to inform the player about the life gain, or the opponent is actually likely Cheating (intentionally not bringing attention to an illegal action to gain advantage).

It's completely legal to not inform your opponent of triggers they control, but it's not legal to allow a trigger or any other ability to be only partially resolved.
    Last edited by cdr; 08-14-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

dang. I would not have guessed that there was that delineation. That's gotta be a hard pill to swallow. I have forgotten to record the life gain from Thopters on several occasions, as I was mostly concerned with just getting my pecks.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information