Thread: GR Wurms

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

GR Wurms

A couple years ago I wanted to build a casual deck to play with friends who aren't nearly as competitive as I am, so I retooled an old GR deck that I had kept around from 2003 when I first got into Magic as a kid. I decided to make it Wurm themed since Pelakka Wurm is one of my favorite cards in the game and Worldspine Wurm had just come out. The deck is meant to be played in 60 card multiplayer games and is purposely not optimized so that I didn't accidentally pike the deck like I can tend to do. Here's the list:

4x Pelakka Wurm
    3x Krosan Tusker
    3x Fierce Empath
    2x Wood Elves
    2x Panglacial Wurm
    1x Worldspine Wurm
    1x Symbiotic Wurm
    1x Artisan of Kozilek
    1x Penumbra Wurm

4x Starstorm
    3x Roar of the Wurm
    3x Rampant Growth
    2x Chaos Warp
    1x Urza's Rage
    1x Explosive Vegetation
    1x Crush of Wurms
    1x Wurmcalling
    1x Cultivate
    1x Crater's Claws
    1x Animist's Awakening
    1x Comet Storm

9x Forest
    5x Mountain
    3x Tranquil Thicket
    2x Terramorphic Expanse
    2x Evolving Wilds
    1x Forgotten Cave

The deck is a pretty simple ramp deck that plays Wurms and clears the board with red spells. It does offer a few tricks with Panglacial Wurm and search effects, which nobody ever sees coming (unless they've faced it before of course).

I love this deck to death and it has been the source of some of the most ridiculous moments of Magic that I've ever been a part of. First, I hardcast Worldspine Wurm on a regular basis, which is a highly enjoyable experience for me, but I did play in a game where Worldspine was stolen from me, I killed it and recast it later, the same player copied it, we traded them in combat, and then the third player won.

Oh, and I have it foiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: GR Wurms

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    The deck is a pretty simple ramp deck that plays Wurms...
    Who would guess...
    I think that it'll be lovely if you'd find a place for one Craw Wurm, preferably Beta, but any other pimp language/print is also valid.
    Nice deck, indeed. I like it. It gives me itches to build something silly, yet our casual group dead like disco, so...

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I was thinking about getting the deck fully signed and probably will stick to english, otherwise if I'm in the mood for it I'd try to go for full German.

I really like pulling this deck out at FNM and challenging people's standard decks. Surprising people with Panglacial Wurm makes me all happy inside.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I'm considering a GW variation. Autochthon Wurm has its appeal. But RG seems much more apropriate due to the damage-based wraths that the wurms might survive.
    edit: There's also Armada Wurm, Enlisted Wurm, (edit2) Novablast Wurm, and I guess quite some other GW wurms. Also, I really like some of the plowbeasts, but that'll be a different deck, right?

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

GW has some powerful wurms no doubt, but sometimes I need my red wrath type effects to survive until something like Pelakka Wurm can come down to stabilise for me.

I will say that I'm super pumped that Rolling Thunder is getting reprinted because I used to have it in the deck before I foiled it out and now there's going to be a foil Rolling Thunder. Wizards made my day when that was spoiled.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

GW has some powerful wurms no doubt, but sometimes I need my red wrath type effects to survive until something like Pelakka Wurm can come down to stabilise for me.

I will say that I'm super pumped that Rolling Thunder is getting reprinted because I used to have it in the deck before I foiled it out and now there's going to be a foil Rolling Thunder. Wizards made my day when that was spoiled.
    Think is that RG is more natural fit for the big wurms, as the the wurms survive the damage-based mass removal (whilr the white cards wash away each and every creature no matter its size).
    So the GW Wurms is interesting more because of being a fun project than a real "partner" of the red variant, unless someone finds a way how to use some of the cards (like say Novablast Wurm) or finds some amazing combination.
    Btw, your list needs to find a slot for Anger, and then some way how to get it into the gy...

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Anger would be silly, but it doesn't seem to fit what I want to do sadly.

If you try to build GW, please include at least one Mirari's Wake

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

If you try to build GW, please include at least one Mirari's Wake
    I've got one Mirari's wake lying around, about 40 euro on MKM account and a lots of itches to build some deck with beta Craw Wurm. So maybe, maybe... :-)

Thread Information