Thread: Enchantress!

Enchantress!

First top eight in a major event since forever!
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=89436
    With Theros cards to. Hopefully all the Enchantress lovers will be inspired and maybe this will go somewhere. I'd be pushing the deck myself if I didn't love Lands so much...
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Re: Enchantress!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    First top eight in a major event since forever!
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=89436
    With Theros cards to. Hopefully all the Enchantress lovers will be inspired and maybe this will go somewhere. I'd be pushing the deck myself if I didn't love Lands so much...
    Can a regular IQ really count as a "major event," though? Those things usually have something like 20-40 players in my experience.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Interesting list. I'm just now trying the deck out. I like some of the things here and don't like others. Bow of Nylea seems neat. Is there a reason I haven't seenany copies of Ground Seal in anyone's list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Does anyone have this deck on MODO? Haven't done any streaming recently, but would love to give it a try.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Well I guess I'll have to get around to going back to testing a GWb version of Enchantress. There are a lot of things I don't love about this list because of my experience with them. I feel like Bow of Nylea and Mana Bloom are a bit too "cute" and cards like City of Solitude and Exploration have traditionally performed poorly for me. I like cutting down to 19 lands and using 7 fetches, but I feel like if you're doing that where's the Mirri's Guile or Sylvan Library? Also if you've got the black splash I feel like Engineered Plague goes in the sideboard over cards like Sphere of Law which is probably outclassed by CoP:Red for instance.

It's been awhile since I was running Enlightened Tutor though so I'm not sure how well it stacks up in the current metagame. It always seems great to have access to the toolbox style answers but I felt like I was getting 2 for 1'd far too frequently to justify its inclusion.

But I would also like to know the number of people at this IQ. Congrats to the pilot regardless.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Is there a reason I haven't seenany copies of Ground Seal in anyone's list?
    Not an enchantress player so this is a guess:

RiP does effectively the same thing (actually more so) and combos with Helm of Obedience out of the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I ponder if I like Mana Bloom more than Exploration here as it is a colorfixer and stored draw with any Enchantress effect in play, but the only two GSZ Irk me as well as the shitload of singletons in this deck.

The bigger Problem of this archetype is that Lands.dec basically does the same strategy-wise, but better
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

This is a really strange list.

-No filter enchantments like Guile/Library but rocking more than 4 fetches. What gives?

-Only 1 "real" win-condition in the mainboard (Extorting for the win or Giant/Eidolon beats are not where you want to be) and all of the wincons, "real" or not, are easily countered. I hate the spaghetti monster and see it as an abomination of design but damn, it wins games. And as for the critter beats plan, if you're going Black, than Athreos, God of Passage and Pharika, God of Affliction seem a bit stronger than utility creatures plus Bow of Nylea.

-Speaking of which, what does Bow of Nylea accomplish? Five mana to either:

*Kill a Delver
    *Pump some creatures extremely slowly
    *Gain some life
    *Stop from decking

...seems pretty underwhelming. The core of Enchantress is about making attacking miserable, fair creature beats are generally meh in this deck, there are better lifegain outlets for fast matchups, and decking really shouldn't be a problem if you play well (or run spaghetti monster).

-Sphere of Law, Enlightened Tutor, and Karmic Justice are some real blasts from the past. I haven't felt compelled to sleeve those up in a long time. I mean, what is the advantage of Sphere of Law over, say, Warmth in this deck? Warmth is better against burn and both do jack against Omniscience -> Wipe Away -> Release the Ants.

-I'm prejudiced, but Exploration and Mana Bloom just don't cut the mustard. Exploration doesn't ramp as effectively as Carpet of Flowersin a lot of metas and Mana Bloom is pretty durdly. Yeah, it lets you keep up Confinement lock "indefinitely", but is generally underwhelming otherwise. There's scarcely few situations in which it really shines.

- No Brain Maggot or Thoughtseize despite rocking the black splash? Getting some hand disruption to mitigate the abysmal combo matchup seems like one of the prime advantages of the black splash. Full disclosure, I loved Mesmeric Fiend, so a cantripping version is gravy.

My guess is that this was a small (20-30 player) event and this deck won the matchup lottery and drew well. I love the way Enchantress plays, but it simply doesn't have what it takes to top 8 a Legacy event in the current meta; combo matchups are too bad and not enough "fair" critter decks to prey upon to offset that mismatch.

bruizar

The list does look a bit weird, which may have caused people to misplay against it.

I think you underestimate the power of indefinite confinement lock.

Bow of Nylea seems pretty bad but I guess it's there exclusively to combat delver of secrets decks since you shoot evasive delvers and regain the life from lightning bolt.

What I like from this list is that there are a lot of one offs. Quiet often, prison cards are bad in multiples (multiple trinispheres for instance) but become much stronger when you assemble one of each as different prison cards compliment each other (Choke + Trinisphere).

That's all I can say about this list. It looks like a pile but it also looks so much different from what we are used to that we might not see where its strength lies. But it may just be a pile still.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think that its probably something to do with card availability and him getting lucky. He probably played a 5 round max event and got lucky for a few rounds. It happens all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I think that its probably something to do with card availability and him getting lucky. He probably played a 5 round max event and got lucky for a few rounds. It happens all the time.
    I thw that has something to do with it, but Enchantress is about as well positioned now as its been since at least late 2012. Grixis and Miracles are both good matchups, Lands is a very good matchup, and Delver decks are eschewing Goyf, Hymn, and Decay for Young Pyromancer, Therapy, and Pyroblast. I agree with Lemnear that Lands plays this angle better overall, but Enchantress dodges Lands hate like Blood Moon and Tsabo's Web that more and more people are packing. Neither deck has a good combo matchup and I don't know how much better Lands' Omni or Storm matchups get postboard.

The specific list here has some odd choices, but how you actually win with Enchantress has always been a formality so I won't fault him for just Sigil MD - it's far better to have Sigil in an opener (or to topdeck it) than to have Emrakul before you have 15 mana. I do questiom the lack of Library and Guile, though, and I've been a booster of Gwb as the best color combination for a long time.

btm10, Do you have any current list how a good Junk version should look like? I've been browsing the Enchantress Thread a bit but couldn't find any recent list of yours.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I'm not an expert by any means on Enchantress, but I do think Bow of Nylea is a good card in decks that are trying to play a long game and have search effects. I played it in Junk Nic Fit in the TC era and it was great at staving off the really fast UR decks and bottoming GSZ targets. It might be a little too grindy for the format right now, but Enchantress is pretty grindy.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    I thw that has something to do with it, but Enchantress is about as well positioned now as its been since at least late 2012. Grixis and Miracles are both good matchups, Lands is a very good matchup, and Delver decks are eschewing Goyf, Hymn, and Decay for Young Pyromancer, Therapy, and Pyroblast. I agree with Lemnear that Lands plays this angle better overall, but Enchantress dodges Lands hate like Blood Moon and Tsabo's Web that more and more people are packing. Neither deck has a good combo matchup and I don't know how much better Lands' Omni or Storm matchups get postboard.

The specific list here has some odd choices, but how you actually win with Enchantress has always been a formality so I won't fault him for just Sigil MD - it's far better to have Sigil in an opener (or to topdeck it) than to have Emrakul before you have 15 mana. I do questiom the lack of Library and Guile, though, and I've been a booster of Gwb as the best color combination for a long time.
    It was so popular at our store for a time my friend on Canadian Thresh was sideboarding Harmonic Convergence and I brought Echoing Calm, Tempest of Light, Back to Nature, anything I could get my hands on depending on my build. I also would leave early if I got paired against it in the last round.

It murders fair decks but it can be slow and I don't think it has much game at all against storm or Omni. That coupled with the fact that it's pretty high-variance and you will never finish a round in less than 45 minutes keeps its numbers depressed a bit. But everyone I know that plays it is devoted.

http://tcdecks.net/busqueda.php?toke...ide=&strict=on

It's actually not well positioned anywhere you expect competent Miracles players and Omnichimp.

Thread Information