Thread: Using information from other matches

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Using information from other matches

Someone was complaining on Reddit about a situation where the players next to him finished their match fairly quickly, but did not fill out their results slip until after his match was over, at which point they decided to draw (even though they had already played their games and had actually gone 2-1).

I can't find anything that says this is against the rules. In fact, it seems to be explicitly allowed by the tournament rules in section 5.2:

Players can make use of information regarding match or game scores of other tables. However, players are not allowed to leave their seats during their match or go to great lengths to obtain this information.
    Or is there some rule of thumb about how long you can wait before filling out your slip before it's considered "great lengths"?

There's also this bit from 2.4:

If a game or match is not completed, players may concede or mutually agree to a draw in that game or match. A match is considered complete once the result slip is filled out or, if match slips are not being used, a player leaves the table after game play is finished. Until that point, either player may concede to or draw with the other, though if the conceding player won a game in the match, the match must be reported as 2-1. Intentional draws are always reported as 0-0-3.
    But that doesn't really say anything about how long you take to determine that outcome...I guess there could be some argument for slow play but neither player is preventing the match from finishing in the allotted time. Worst case they fill out the actual result when time is called.

So am I crazy or is this completely within the rules of the game?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Re: Using information from other matches

It's a gray area. The primary concern IME is that players don't delay the tournament by failing to turn in a result. If it's not near the end of a round where judges start checking the outstanding tables, you can probably usually get away with it. If a judge notices that your match is complete but you haven't filled out the results slip, you can expect immediate pressure to complete it. I've never seen players not reasonably comply, but if it gets to the point where the Head Judge tells you to turn in a result and you don't, Unsporting Conduct penalties (failure to follow a direct instruction of a tournament official) are available.

Obviously you can't leave your table if the results slip hasn't been filled out.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

What's the gain from a play like that? I mean trying to game the standings for better match ups in the top 8 I get, but winning a match and then electing for a draw only after the outcome of the table next to you seems like a lot to give up for a slight alteration of the next round. Is there just more to match points that I'm just ignorant to?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

I guess it could be a situation where an ID in match A will get both players into top-8 if the results of match B go a certain way. If match B doesn't go that way then the ID is no good and only the winner of match A would make it.

So they play match A out as normal but seeing match B going the way they needed it to they ID and both get in.

That's the only reason I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    What's the gain from a play like that? I mean trying to game the standings for better match ups in the top 8 I get, but winning a match and then electing for a draw only after the outcome of the table next to you seems like a lot to give up for a slight alteration of the next round. Is there just more to match points that I'm just ignorant to?
    Say you are playing a friend in the last round but both of you can only safely draw in if another match goes a certain way. In that case you may lock out another player had you recorded your match correctly.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Oh I guess I wasn't considering a non-zero sum situation with putting a friend into the top 8
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    It's a gray area. The primary concern IME is that players don't delay the tournament by failing to turn in a result. If it's not near the end of a round where judges start checking the outstanding tables, you can probably usually get away with it. If a judge notices that your match is complete but you haven't filled out the results slip, you can expect immediate pressure to complete it. I've never seen players not reasonably comply, but if it gets to the point where the Head Judge tells you to turn in a result and you don't, Unsporting Conduct penalties (failure to follow a direct instruction of a tournament official) are available.

Obviously you can't leave your table if the results slip hasn't been filled out.
    If it's not near the end of the round, couldn't you just explain that you're waiting for the results of the next table, since you're allowed to use that information?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    If it's not near the end of the round, couldn't you just explain that you're waiting for the results of the next table, since you're allowed to use that information?
    You're not really allowed to wait to turn in a result if your match is finished. This is not codified in a rule, but something judges will enforce. It may get codified if it ever becomes a significant enough issue.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2004
    New Jersey

If it's not codified in a rule, doesn't that mean that you are allowed (and some judges just like to pretend you aren't)?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by psly4mne View Post
    If it's not codified in a rule, doesn't that mean that you are allowed (and some judges just like to pretend you aren't)?
    They aren't "pretending" you're not allowed. There is no god but the head judge, and the floor judges are his prophets.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

If the head judge tells you Lightning Bolt deals 4 damage, he's not pretending. It does in fact deal 4 damage.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    If the head judge tells you Lightning Bolt deals 4 damage, he's not pretending. It does in fact deal 4 damage.
    The judge may also request $5 for any services provided.

Thread Information