Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy Lantern

bruizar

Re: Legacy Lantern

If you are running green you could also consider Temporal Spring over Metamorphose. Obviously Metamorphose is much more castable, but if the drawback is too much, there are some other cards in the card pool.. Metamorphose is probably a lot better. Instant over Sorcery and 1U vs 1UG is a big difference.

I like the Sylvan Library. Don't you find yourself wanting a lot more of those since you auto-filter extra copies anyway? It's worth noting you can play Words of Wilding, Words of War, Words of Worship, Words of Waste and Words of Wind with it, though I believe only Words of Worship and Words of Wind are good enough (probably not on their own). You can bounce 3 lands with Sylvan Library and Words of Wind using replacement effects, and just replay your Mox Opals (if you play that) and millstones for almost nothing while you eventually bounce your opponents entire board. Probably deviates from the deck's strategy too much, but again, just pointing out the possibilities we have available.

I wonder if there's any room for Thirst for Knowledge in this list at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I wonder if there's any room for Thirst for Knowledge in this list at all.
    I'm really hesitant on playing cards that cost 3 or more mana. That is so much mana. If I did, I'd probably run a few Intuition.

EDIT: On second thought, I should probably find room for Lim-Dûl's Vault as "extra" copies of Ensnaring Bridge.

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgripper View Post
    I'm really hesitant on playing cards that cost 3 or more mana. That is so much mana. If I did, I'd probably run a few Intuition.

EDIT: On second thought, I should probably find room for Lim-Dûl's Vault as "extra" copies of Ensnaring Bridge.
    1. Could you get rid of Sylvan Library and the 2x Gitaxian Probe for 3x Lim-Dûl's Vault? They pitch to Force of Will but act as Ancient Stirrings.

2. Could you also add a Tropical Island to the Main instead of an Island to free up a slot in the Sideboard for where the Forest was?

Quote Originally Posted by wsurugby10 View Post
    1. Could you get rid of Sylvan Library and the 2x Gitaxian Probe for 3x Lim-Dûl's Vault? They pitch to Force of Will but act as Ancient Stirrings.

2. Could you also add a Tropical Island to the Main instead of an Island to free up a slot in the Sideboard for where the Forest was?
    I don't know if I want 3 vaults or less. I have to test to see what the right number is. I believe it's 2, but i dont have room in the main. I want to test all of the card choices first from the deck (its an untested deck) before removing/adding other elements.

I also want 17-18 lands in the main, but cant make room. It may be incorrect to run 4 metamorphs, but unsure. that card has been insane thus far. I want to avoid playing too many nonbasics, i just dont want the deck to fold to random wastelands which will happen.

Also, there is already a trop in the main, the forest is to increase land count. again, unsure how to correct the count of lands until i test with it. Turns out, you can't test on MTGO. So i have to wait for specific weekends to test.

scrapping the blue FoW based version for now. FoW and Brainstorm, while great legacy cards, do not synergize with this deck very well from testing. I switched to the sultai version for last night's irl daily.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03...egacy-lantern/

Beat 4c delver and miracles (even after jace ult) and lost to elves. Elves is always a pain and unsure how best to handle that matchup. I kept an opening hand with bridge lantern and other goods, but drew 2 more bridges before landing the first, so they bridge didn't do anything. Miracles is easier if you turn off top / other options they have. Once their options are gone they play faster. Delver only lost one game cause t1 delver on the play g1 and rough draws on my part.

Overall like this list. The biggest problem I see is that normal legacy players just take forever completing games. Unlike modern, legacy players tend to think on smaller decisions like "should i fetch now" or "should i brainstorm now" and as such games last longer than they should. The deck is viable, needs more testing and probably another card before it becomes amazing.

The wastelands were amazing especially alongside the Metamorphose. I would like to add more in if I could, some games are easily won this way.

bruizar

I like the list a lot shadowgripper.

Invasive Surgery definitely fits into the sideboard very well as it singlehandedly removes win-conditions before allowing them to resolve. This should help the elves matchup, removing both GSZ/Natural Order. The shredders and bells help feed delirium.

I found a new list that has been working well for me. The trick was to put Lantern as the supporting system in the deck, backing up the primary function of bridge / energy field.

2 Field of Dreams
    4 Lantern of Insight
    4 Codex Shredder
    4 Pyxis of Pandemonium

2 Metamorphose
    4 Unexpectedly Absent
    3 Enlightened Tutor

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Energy Field
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Humility
    1 Helm of Obedience

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta
    3 Seachrome Coast
    2 Tundra
    1 Karakas
    4 Plains
    3 Island

//Sideboard (wip)
    3 Flusterstorm
    4 Meddling Mage
    2 Peacekeeper
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Porphyry Nodes

I know some matchups like turn 1 combo decks can be rough, and the sideboard can be adjusted as necessary. Any help on fixing this up would be great. If I get this refined, I can see myself playing it at GP Columbus.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I found a new list that has been working well for me. The trick was to put Lantern as the supporting system in the deck, backing up the primary function of bridge / energy field.

2 Field of Dreams
    4 Lantern of Insight
    4 Codex Shredder
    4 Pyxis of Pandemonium

2 Metamorphose
    4 Unexpectedly Absent
    3 Enlightened Tutor

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Energy Field
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Humility
    1 Helm of Obedience

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta
    3 Seachrome Coast
    2 Tundra
    1 Karakas
    4 Plains
    3 Island

//Sideboard (wip)
    3 Flusterstorm
    4 Meddling Mage
    2 Peacekeeper
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Porphyry Nodes

I know some matchups like turn 1 combo decks can be rough, and the sideboard can be adjusted as necessary. Any help on fixing this up would be great. If I get this refined, I can see myself playing it at GP Columbus.

looks like a fun list.
    -rob

Took the list to a weekly yesterday, -1 humilty +1 nevermore in the main, and a few random SB changes. Went 3-1 beating miracles twice, infect, and losing to reanimator.

Miracles was tense but I think my deck was favored from how things play out. I won 3 games via helm and 1 game from straight up using 3 mill rocks every turn of the game. I found it's actually fine to just spam Pyxis cause eventually you go from 3 mana to 4 then 5 6 7 and you can use pyxis to put a bridge effect or RiP in play. While you may not know whats under pyxis, when you search your deck you can easily count how many RiP or w/e are in there, which tells you wants under your pyxis. The only game I lost was when I kept a loose hand with 2 lanterns 2 rocks 1 land and other threats, but they got top+balance asap.

Infect was harder because of how faster they can kill you and the fact they play daze and forces. I lost g2 cause he landed a sylvan library and I was stuck behind an unsafe energy field. probably could have played this game different but head hurting too much lol. g3 I lot P nodes do work w/ needle naming inkmoth to shut out his creatures, then lock assembled to close him out.

Reanimator is a pain as they play forces and dazes, then later have discard and spell piereces. I had the option of t2 RiP both games but couldn't get around his countermagic in time. t3 he had revive griselbrand and then eventually found a tidespout tyrant to bounce my bridges + energy fields. I probably need more flusterstorms in the board (Was only playing with 2 at the time).

All-in-all the deck felt reasonably solid. I'm gonna keep working at it. Need to find out what matchups are what and make the SB work for that.

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Here's the article. Zac great job. It was fun meeting you and watching the deck in action. I'm going to put it together and start testing this one out.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sik-2016-06-12

bruizar

Took the list to a weekly yesterday, -1 humilty +1 nevermore in the main, and a few random SB changes. Went 3-1 beating miracles twice, infect, and losing to reanimator.

Miracles was tense but I think my deck was favored from how things play out. I won 3 games via helm and 1 game from straight up using 3 mill rocks every turn of the game. I found it's actually fine to just spam Pyxis cause eventually you go from 3 mana to 4 then 5 6 7 and you can use pyxis to put a bridge effect or RiP in play. While you may not know whats under pyxis, when you search your deck you can easily count how many RiP or w/e are in there, which tells you wants under your pyxis. The only game I lost was when I kept a loose hand with 2 lanterns 2 rocks 1 land and other threats, but they got top+balance asap.

Infect was harder because of how faster they can kill you and the fact they play daze and forces. I lost g2 cause he landed a sylvan library and I was stuck behind an unsafe energy field. probably could have played this game different but head hurting too much lol. g3 I lot P nodes do work w/ needle naming inkmoth to shut out his creatures, then lock assembled to close him out.

Reanimator is a pain as they play forces and dazes, then later have discard and spell piereces. I had the option of t2 RiP both games but couldn't get around his countermagic in time. t3 he had revive griselbrand and then eventually found a tidespout tyrant to bounce my bridges + energy fields. I probably need more flusterstorms in the board (Was only playing with 2 at the time).

All-in-all the deck felt reasonably solid. I'm gonna keep working at it. Need to find out what matchups are what and make the SB work for that.
    Cool to see you've been working on UW with Absent + Energy Field + RIP. I'm having a hard time against DnT with my version. Have you tried this matchup yet and what do you think makes the match up bearable?

No i have not tested against D&T very much. The one-of P nodes is there to help against this. I expect a quick Energy Field will shut them down game 1 as soon as you needle Mangara.

I also want to touch up the manabase to look like this (21 lands total):

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Plateau
    4 Tundra
    1 Ancient Den
    4 Plains
    3 Island

With this, I'm allowed easier access to casting Blood Moon, which I think goes a long way to combating our touch, Abrupt Decay matchups. Not entirely sure how correct this is, but Back to Basics was mediocre because often times they would just be sitting there with 6 mana open and never casting anything.

I also want a Seal of Cleansing in the 75 somewhere. There were times where I hand an e tutor available on their t1 while they try to cast chalice, grabbing a seal would be very helpful.

I'm interested in this deck, but I only play on MTGO, and Field of Dreams isn't online yet. I'm looking on opinions on what impact this has. Are the extra two Lantern effects important, or is a fourth Enlightened Tutor and maybe a fourth Bridge a fine substitute? Or, are there other better substitutes?

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

No i have not tested against D&T very much. The one-of P nodes is there to help against this. I expect a quick Energy Field will shut them down game 1 as soon as you needle Mangara.

I also want to touch up the manabase to look like this (21 lands total):

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Plateau
    4 Tundra
    1 Ancient Den
    4 Plains
    3 Island

With this, I'm allowed easier access to casting Blood Moon, which I think goes a long way to combating our touch, Abrupt Decay matchups. Not entirely sure how correct this is, but Back to Basics was mediocre because often times they would just be sitting there with 6 mana open and never casting anything.

I also want a Seal of Cleansing in the 75 somewhere. There were times where I hand an e tutor available on their t1 while they try to cast chalice, grabbing a seal would be very helpful.
    Any ideas on what you would replace Back to Basics with? I like the idea of Blood Moon too. Are you thinking a 2 or 3 of in the board?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeddie View Post
    I'm interested in this deck, but I only play on MTGO, and Field of Dreams isn't online yet. I'm looking on opinions on what impact this has. Are the extra two Lantern effects important, or is a fourth Enlightened Tutor and maybe a fourth Bridge a fine substitute? Or, are there other better substitutes?
    You don't need the two extra lanterns. For matchups with chalice i often side out both field of dreams. Swap one with an e tutor and the other with anything cheap. dont play more bridges, those are expensive and clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by wsurugby10 View Post
    Any ideas on what you would replace Back to Basics with? I like the idea of Blood Moon too. Are you thinking a 2 or 3 of in the board?
    I actually want to play 1 blood moon main. I dont want back to basics at all. Run seal of cleansing instead. You can run more blood moons in the side and try them out. I dont have a right answer cause i have not tested this.

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Was Karakas underwhelming? I'm trying to figure out what I need to trade of mine to get 4x Tundra...lol

Unsure on Karakas. I dont think its necessary.

Hey, big fan of the modern version, so have been testing the legacy port. I'm currently on:

4 Lantern of Insight
    4 Codex Shredder
    4 Pyxis of Pandemonium
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Pithing Needle

4 Energy Field
    4 Rest in Peace
    2 Field of Dreams
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Seal of Cleansing

4 Unexpectedly Absent
    3 Enlightened Tutor

4 Flooded Strand
    1 Scalding Tarn
    3 Arid Mesa
    1 Plateau
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    4 Plains
    1 Ancient Den

Sideboard
    3 Flusterstorm
    1 Helm of Obedience
    3 Peacekeeper
    3 Pyroclasm
    2 Seal of Cleansing
    3 Swords to Plowshares

The 3 tops help in weaker match-ups, without them D&T is miserable, with them, its close.

I've been keeping a log of all my match-ups.

Death and Taxes 3-5-0
    Needle is super important here, if they manage to get a port or two before the lock, its bad. Seal of Cleansing against the first Vial is great, but if they get the vial into port hand, its hard to ever cast the seal.

Dredge 3-2-0
    Manaless-Dredge has been easy mode, with Quadlaser Dredge being less so as they are able to interact with RiP and Energy field.

Combo 1-7-0
    ANT and Belcher are terrible, TES is bad but winnable if they go goblins game 2, and you have a Pyroclasm in hand.

GBr Land Destruction 2-4-0
    Its 55-45 their way, Pernicious Deed is the key card you need to needle, an early Flusterstorm is key to not get mana locked in g2-3

Miracles 0-4-0
    Not sure how to win this one, the four times I played them, I had a slow tutor hand, this feels like you need two lantern effects and two mill rocks, otherwise they force the first lantern, then setup the counterbalance lock, float a 1 and its gg.

RG Lands 2-0-0
    Lands hates most of this deck, Swords, Unexpectedly Absent, RiP, Moon and Energy Field

Thread Information