Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Lantern

Re: Legacy Lantern

Cool iteration of lantern. Looks like you've been going for more prison pieces that hate on a different axis, like Choke, and Leovold, and surgical main deck. How has Leovold been? He turns off brainstorm and ponders, sure, but he isn't coming down until turn 3 usually. Having a creature main deck that turns on your opponent's removal, even if it does replace itself, seems like a lock piece that isn't very sticky.

How has the mana-base of all non-basics worked out for you? Blood Moon and Wasteland could be problematic. I think one of the advantages of UW can be all the basics you can run to ensure you cast your stuff with your low land-count. Of course, you give up choke. But as I understand it, we're happy as a lantern deck giving our opponent all the mana in the world as long as we're keeping them off payoff spells.

Any reason no Brainstorm? You're not running fetchlands, but you can use your mill rocks to filter, and stirrings also does the trick.

So after a low of tinkering I finally took my AI Lantern list to our local legacy tourney. I went 4-1 with my only loss to Infect (which seems close to unwinnable)

Artifact (27)

4x Codex Shredder
    1x Cursed Scroll
    1x Engineered Explosives
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Lantern of Insight
    2x Lotus Petal
    1x Meekstone
    4x Mox Opal
    1x Pacification Array
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Pyxis of Pandemonium
    1x Welding Jar

Land (17)

1x Academy Ruins
    2x Flooded Strand
    1x Inventors' Fair
    5x Island
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Scalding Tarn
    4x Seat of the Synod
    1x Underground Sea

Instant (10)

4x Brainstorm
    3x Spell Pierce
    3x Whir of Invention

Enchantment (6)

3x Artificer's Intuition
    2x Counterbalance
    1x Field of Dreams

Sideboard (15)

1x Damping Sphere
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Executioner's Capsule
    2x Expel from Orazca
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Meekstone
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Welding Jar

R1 - Shardless BUG: W
    R2 - Infect: L
    R3 - UW Spirits: W
    R4 - Nyx Fit: W
    R5 - Eldrazi: W

hey, newly interested in this archetype in legacy, played modern lantern a little before and after eldrazi winter so I have some experience with the archetype, but not in legacy of course

My rough draft list:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 23 Artifact
    4 Lantern of Insight
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Pyxis of Pandemonium
    1 Cursed Scroll
    4 Mox Opal
    1 Codex Shredder
    4 Ghoulcaller's Bell
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Meekstone
    2 Pithing Needle

// 7 Enchantment
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Field of Dreams
    2 Artificer's Intuition

// 7 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Whir of Invention

// 19 Land
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    1 Inventors' Fair

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Ancient Stirrings

// 15 Sideboard
    // 1 Artifact
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Padeem, Consul of Innovation

// 2 Enchantment
    SB: 2 Back to Basics

// 7 Instant
    SB: 4 Crop Rotation
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction

// 3 Land
    SB: 1 Karakas
    SB: 1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

I thought the crop rotation package could be interesting out of the sideboard. We could also add Expedition Map somewhere to grab off Artificer's Intuition. My friend wanted to add in Life from the Loam and Wasteland/Ghost Quarter somewhere too - I think that might be too cute but maybe it's worth it?

A major question I have is - is black worth it?

I had a hard time fitting in black and justifying it, but there are a lot of good black cards; Leovold, Thoughtseize/Duress, Abrupt Decay/Assassin's Trophy, Toxic Deluge(?), Chains of Mephistopheles, Abyss etc.
    Leovold seemed bad to me since it turns on removal, and will always eat removal since it's the only creature - but then it's still drawing me a card, and might be necessary against brainstorm?
    Abrupt Decay/Assassin's Trophy seem like good catch all answers, Decay specifically against miracles
    Deluge would 100% be a 1 of in the sideboard, and even then, we're a bridge deck so I don't think it's necessary
    Chains seems meh in general, but again, brainstorm

----

As for my actual list:

4 lanterns, as per usual
    3 Bridges, everyone runs 3 now, I'm not 100% a fan of not running the 4th but 3 whirs, 4 ancient stirrings, and 4 brainstorms should be enough
    3 Pyxis, Sneak and Show is prevalent so I want to be able to easily mill a Emrakul, and graveyard decks are annoying too. Maybe this should be 4
    1 Cursed scroll, a tutor target, great against weenie decks (d&t, elves, etc)
    4 Mox opals, speed
    1 Codex Shredders/4 Ghoulcaller's bells, I dont know what the right number of mill rocks is so sticking with this number for now
    1 Engineered Explosives, Tutor target, good general answer
    1 Meekstone, Tutor target, soft bridge effect
    2 Pithing needles, necessary in this format, might even want more in the SB
    3 Counterbalance, great for locking decks with low cmcs (delver, elves, etc)
    2 Field of dreams, Lantern 5-6, maybe only need 1?
    2 Artificer's Intuition, Tutor ability, maybe go up on this
    4 Brainstorm, op op op
    4 Ancient Stirrings, one of the main reasons to play artifacts
    3 Whir, Tutor but super expensive - maybe should be Transmute Artifact? Haven't played with Transmute so I didn't want to put it in yet without testing the deck like this first.
    1 Academy ruins, standard recursion land - maybe should be 2
    1 Inventors' Fair, standard tutor land, there isn't really much straight up aggro in the format so I felt like it isn't worth running multiple copies, maybe it should be 2

SB:
    2 Padeem, only creature in list so hopefully they side out removal - protects my artifacts against stuff like k-command, and ancient grudge, and decay
    1 tormods crypt, tutorable gy hate
    2 back to basics, some decks just can't beat it, and we run enough fetches and basics and artifact mana that it shouldn't hurt too badly
    4 crop rotation, might be too cute, but gives us the ability to pivot and be more versatile g2 and 3
    3 surgical, more gy and combo hate, might unnecessary
    1 karakas, tutor land, good against fatty decks
    1 tabby, tutor land, good against weenie decks
    1 Bojuka bog, tutor land, good against gy decks

----

Cards I'm NOT running:

Lotus Petal - Seemed unnecessary but maybe the explosiveness is necessary in this format? Would rather just run Mox Diamond, though
    Mox Diamond - Land count isn't that high, and our color restrictions aren't severe, and our cmc is generally pretty low
    Grove/Punishing Fire - I prefer the Cursed Scroll tutor but maybe punishing fire is better - it is better against infect if you can get the combo out early enough.
    Damping Sphere - Storm seems low in the meta right now, and I feel like we might have a good storm match up? Not sure though.
    Pacification Array - Seemed interesting in a more Back to Basics/Meekstone reliant build. Will have to test it eventually
    Artifact Lands - Didn't want to make myself more hateable by artifact destruction/wasteland
    Welding Jar - Felt weaker than what I was running already, maybe it's still worth it though.
    Countermagic - I've never been a fan of counterspells + Bridge
    JTMS/Tezz/Planeswalkers - They all felt a little slow. I could be convinced on Jace, but I feel like Tezz is generally win more.
    Baleful Strix - not in black, but the ability to trade with a creature and cantrip is great
    Ponder - Feel like brainstorm is better for this deck, but could be wrong.
    Drop of Honey - Since we're a bridge deck, don't think it's necessary, but could be wrong
    Witchbane Orb - Should probably find a spot for this, not sure how to fit it in yet though
    Spellskite/Welding Jar - Felt worse than other cards, could be good
    Life from the loam - seemed too cute
    Wasteland/GQ/Port - Since we're super grindy with a very weak clock, I felt these cards rarely help much. We typically land flood our opponents too, but maybe in legacy where land counts are lower, we could land screw instead?
    Crucible - No wasteland/gq so not in
    Sai, Master Thopterist - seems slow in this format, but might be insane
    RIP/Helm/Force Field - Not in white, but seems like a interesting if we wanted to switch from bridge
    Beast Within - Assassin's Trophy without black - seems slow though
    Grafdigger's Cage - not too scared of elves/maverick/gsz decks atm, maybe wrong

Noway green for stirring is worth. Just play ponder, its better with CB. Thoughtseize is great to sculpt your denial plan with. Also let you play strix go buy time.

I really believe it's time to take another look at this deck simply because the Cantrip Cartel, Ponder, Preordain, and BS, all have fits dealing with WAR Narset. Quite simply, it seems like a great idea to run the Lantern or even Whir shell, and have at least a pair of Narsets around to ensure your opponent can only draw one card at a time, all the time.

That being said, the RIP + Force Field combo still works wonders in this type of deck, so I'm all for using that to stop all damage shenanigans. It also gives you an easy Helm of Obedience as your kill, if you can't wait to mill your opponent out.

bruizar

A massive printing for lantern in core2020

bruizar

Short update. I'm working on an Esper direction with Scheming Symmetry and Teferi, Time Raveler. Teferi can turn Scheming Symmetry into an instant, which is of massive importance because you can get a Codex Shredder and mill your opponent's target without it getting countered because of Teferi's static ability. I want to run a singleton Wishclaw Talisman to bounce it with Teferi, but I'm not sure if that card is efficient enough.

4x Teferi, Time Raveler
    4x Scheming Symmetry
    1x Wishclaw Talisman

Terminus becomes much better with Scheming Symmetry, and Mystic Sanctuary is a nice land to get an extra miracle out of Terminus. With Teferi, we don't need green for Abrupt Decay anymore, and we also don't need Ancient Stirrings. That means we can still run the Energy Field + RIP combo while also getting access to great discard spells

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Short update. I'm working on an Esper direction with Scheming Symmetry and Teferi, Time Raveler. Teferi can turn Scheming Symmetry into an instant, which is of massive importance because you can get a Codex Shredder and mill your opponent's target without it getting countered because of Teferi's static ability. I want to run a singleton Wishclaw Talisman to bounce it with Teferi, but I'm not sure if that card is efficient enough.

4x Teferi, Time Raveler
    4x Scheming Symmetry
    1x Wishclaw Talisman

Terminus becomes much better with Scheming Symmetry, and Mystic Sanctuary is a nice land to get an extra miracle out of Terminus. With Teferi, we don't need green for Abrupt Decay anymore, and we also don't need Ancient Stirrings. That means we can still run the Energy Field + RIP combo while also getting access to great discard spells
    interesting additions
    i have had incredible success with my latest mono blue (slight splash) list.

//Artifact (30)
    4 Codex Shredder
    1 Cursed Scroll
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Executioner's Capsule
    1 Ghoulcaller's Bell
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Lantern of Insight
    2 Lotus Petal
    1 Meekstone
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyxis of Pandemonium
    1 Welding Jar

//Enchantment (4)
    2 Artificer's Intuition
    2 Field of Dreams

//Instant (3)
    3 Whir of Invention

//Planeswalker (3)
    3 Narset, Parter of Veils

//Sorcery (2)
    2 Transmute Artifact

//Land (18)
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Ancient Tomb
    4 Glimmervoid
    1 Inventors' Fair
    4 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod
    2 Spire of Industry

SB: 1 Damping Sphere
    SB: 1 Defense Grid
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Executioner's Capsule
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Metamorphose
    SB: 2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Sun Droplet
    SB: 1 Witchbane Orb

Sep 2011

Pretty sure this deck wants 3-4x Scheming Symmetry.

You mill their top card making it completely 1-sided. The deck is already running toolbox singletons and some tutors. Why not run a 1-mana tutor that can find anything? Seems better than Transmute Artifact (also card disadvantage).

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Pretty sure this deck wants 3-4x Scheming Symmetry.

You mill their top card making it completely 1-sided. The deck is already running toolbox singletons and some tutors. Why not run a 1-mana tutor that can find anything? Seems better than Transmute Artifact (also card disadvantage).
    Not sure I agree with Scheming, too many things can go wrong where you do not want to be casting that card. Also the list i posted above i took to an undefeated at my LGS

Win vs UB Shadow
    Win vs UR Delver
    Win vs UB Faeries
    Draw (Played it out and won 2-0) vs Rug Delver

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's great to have results like that. how do you think you might have to approach the deck if opponents have more artifact hate? are you cold to the ouphe guy? (looks like maybe just oko in the sb) anyway, congrats!
    -rob

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post

4x Teferi, Time Raveler
    4x Scheming Symmetry
    1x Wishclaw Talisman

What does your list look like?

Terminus sounds pretty great in that setup.

Do you play 4xLeyline of the Void in the SB so opponents can't benefit from your mill?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjastill View Post
    interesting additions
    i have had incredible success with my latest mono blue (slight splash) list.
    How consistently castable is Transmute Artifact? UU seems kinda rough with that little blue mana. Also, are the match-ups against fast combo as bad as it seems or is E. Bridge enough that you can kinda manage against Reanimator/SnT G1? It seems like you do well against tempo-decks (your list has you beating RUG Delver, UB Shadow and UR Delver), which I find kinda surprising but also something that makes this deck actually seem quite appealing. Something that has a good match-up against both, tempo and control, would be incredibly well positioned for many metagames.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    How consistently castable is Transmute Artifact? UU seems kinda rough with that little blue mana. Also, are the match-ups against fast combo as bad as it seems or is E. Bridge enough that you can kinda manage against Reanimator/SnT G1? It seems like you do well against tempo-decks (your list has you beating RUG Delver, UB Shadow and UR Delver), which I find kinda surprising but also something that makes this deck actually seem quite appealing. Something that has a good match-up against both, tempo and control, would be incredibly well positioned for many metagames.
    I go back & fourth on 1-2 Transmute, settling on 1 and moving a Damping Sphere to the Mb and 1 SB to give myself better game vs big mana decks/combo g1.

Reanimator is okay, sometimes they have that turn 1 nut draw with discard + griselbrand etc, but with needles/cage/bridge you can do a lot to stall.

Storm g1 I dont feel to hot against, but g2 you get, Damping Sphere/2 Canonist/2 Flusterstorm/Crpyt which gives you a total of like 10+ cards that can fight storm or annoy them after board which is a decent amount.

bruizar

I had a lot of thoughts about my work-in-progress Esper build and decided to discard it all together. I couldn't make it work. The reason is because I couldn't find a good enough reason to run Symmetry over Enlightened Tutor. The sorcery speed requires you to have a Teferi out, so you can EOT Symmetry into Codex, play it, and activate it to remove their tutor target, and then you can still get blown out by Brainstorm.

I did a lot of thinking and decided to take a different approach.. Artifacts are really bad right now with Oko, Needle/Spyglass, Ancient Grudge, and Chalice strategies. So, what if we throw out the artifacts all together? I've tried/wanted to try this in the past through Duskmantle, House of Shadow, Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver, Nephalia Drownyard and Fathom Feeder, but the following list relies nearly completely on Predict and Thought Scour. The realization is that you don't need to lock someone out to win the game. All your opponent needs is a stream of 3 bad draws for you to pull away and win the game through card advantage of Thought Scour and Predict, and permission spells. Drown in the Loch helps a lot because it is one of the few cards that will act as a Counterspell while also dealing with already resolved threats, and it has synergy with the mill effects we are playing.

It's untested so it could be genius or terrible. Would love to get your feedback on this.

Mono Blue Lantern

4x Force of Will
    3x Force of Negation
    3x Drown in the Loch
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Predict
    4x Thought Scour
    4x Field of Dreams
    2x Lantern of Insight
    2x Spell Snare
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Vedalken Shackles
    1x Codex Shredder
    1x Surgical Extraction
    2x Snapcaster Mage
    1x Brazen Borrower
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2x Narset, Parter of Veils
    1x Curfew
    1x Search for Azcanta / Azcanta, The Sunken Ruin
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Prismatic Vista
    1x Underground Sea
    8x Snow-Covered Island
    1x Snow-Covered Swamp

Sideboard:

x Blue Elemental Blast
    x Vendilion Clique
    x Back to Basics
    x Surgical Extraction
    x Relic of Progenitus
    x Leyline of the Void
    x Gilded Drake
    x Pithing Needle
    x Submerge
    x Drown in the Loch
    x Thoughtseize
    x Dead of Winter

* Field of Dreams doesn't get hit by artifact hate and pitches to Force of Will, Force of Negation and Misdirection.
    * Predict and Thought Scour are your main millstones, Scour cantrips and Predict is a draw engine. They are used more strategically than Codex Shredder where you can be more aggressive.
    * The card disadvantage of pitch counters is offset by the fact that the millstones serve as a draw engine.
    * Curfew with Snapcaster Mage or Brazen Borrower gives you a lot of rebuys on countering threats and bouncing Marit Lage, Emrakul and Reanimator targets.
    * Force of Negation is good vs Cabal Therapy and Life from the Loam
    * The lack of Pithing Needle makes it more difficult to defend against Dark Depths / Thespian Stage. So you need to make sure you counter Vampire Hexmage and Crop Rotation. Petty Theft on Brazen Borrower helps you get rid of Marit Lage. The deck probably needs at least 2 needles in the maindeck.
    *Jace, Vryn's Prodigy -> I would like to test this further, in particular for the ability to act as a semi ensnaring bridge, get extra activations out of Predict, and use the ultimate to get a millstone Emblem. It is more vulnerable, but I think it fits the deck well.

Vryn Lantern

4x Force of Will
    3x Force of Negation
    3x Drown in the Loch
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Predict
    4x Thought Scour
    4x Field of Dreams
    2x Lantern of Insight
    2x Spell Snare
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Vedalken Shackles
    1x Codex Shredder
    1x Surgical Extraction
    2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy / Jace, Telepath Unbound
    1x Dead of Winter
    1x Brazen Borrower
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2x Narset, Parter of Veils
    1x Search for Azcanta / Azcanta, The Sunken Ruin
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Prismatic Vista
    1x Underground Sea
    8x Snow-Covered Island
    1x Snow-Covered Swamp
    Last edited by bruizar; 11-24-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Sep 2011

I think you really want a permanent-based mill engine to maintain the lock. It's much worse if you need to have a 1-shot spell in hand and trade resources to get rid of that card. That could be a good tempo play in some cases, maybe shutting down a combo deck or keeping a low-threat deck off a threat, but it can't maintain card quality advantage over the course of a game. It's not sustainable. And without the threat of the lock, it's not worth playing card disadvantage like Field of Dreams.

Nephalia Drownyard seems good, although the large mana investment means you're wasting your own turn too and both of you are doing nothing. Also Wasteland is a thing. Something free seems much better.

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver or even Ashiok, Dream Render seem like decent options.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I think you really want a permanent-based mill engine to maintain the lock. It's much worse if you need to have a 1-shot spell in hand and trade resources to get rid of that card. That could be a good tempo play in some cases, maybe shutting down a combo deck or keeping a low-threat deck off a threat, but it can't maintain card quality advantage over the course of a game. It's not sustainable. And without the threat of the lock, it's not worth playing card disadvantage like Field of Dreams.

Nephalia Drownyard seems good, although the large mana investment means you're wasting your own turn too and both of you are doing nothing. Also Wasteland is a thing. Something free seems much better.

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver or even Ashiok, Dream Render seem like decent options.
    That's exactly what I was wondering. If you can cantrip a threat away 2 or 3 times, will you pull ahead far enough to win with counter spells? I'm not sure. The idea of the 4x Field of Dreams was to pitch redundant copies to Force of Negation and Force of Will, which Lantern of Insight cannot do. What would you cut from the list and replace? I could easily test Ashiok 1.0 and 2.0 since I have copies lying around.

Update with my list from above

//Artifact (29)
    4 Codex Shredder
    1 Cursed Scroll
    1 Damping Sphere
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Lantern of Insight
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Meekstone
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyxis of Pandemonium
    2 Welding Jar

//Enchantment (4)
    2 Artificer's Intuition
    2 Field of Dreams

//Instant (3)
    3 Whir of Invention

//Planeswalker (5)
    3 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Oko, Thief of Crowns

//Sorcery (1)
    1 Transmute Artifact

//Land (18)
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Ancient Tomb
    4 Glimmervoid
    5 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod
    2 Spire of Industry

SB: 1 Damping Sphere
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Hope of Ghirapur
    SB: 2 Meddling Mage
    SB: 2 Metamorphose
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Spellskite
    SB: 1 Throne of Geth
    SB: 1 Torpor Orb

I have not lost against any delver variant yet... like 8-0 or some dumb number. Feel 50/50 vs Storm, still figuring out the Karn decks but played at another event beating Storm/Miracles/Eldrazi losing to bomberman.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjastill View Post
    Strong decklist
    Looks good.

Now that you're splashing for Oko and white stuff in the SB, is there room for 1 Arcum's Astrolabe? (and converting the Islands to Snow-Covered)

Astrolabe has a lot of strengths besides cantripping:
    -turns on Mox Opal
    -Transmute fodder
    -Improvise fuel for Whir
    -Artificer's Intuition

Thread Information