Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy Lantern

Re: Legacy Lantern

Yeah, so this deck and this guy are definitely the real deal.

I dont' see why this deck can't top8/win the Modern Pro Tour coming up and also win Legacy tournaments with a Legacy-tuned version of this list. It's really one of the best prison decks to ever be developed in Magic's history.

Zac, I hope you make it to GP: Seattle and then we can see how Lantern Prison fares in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Yeah, so this deck and this guy are definitely the real deal.

I dont' see why this deck can't top8/win the Modern Pro Tour coming up and also win Legacy tournaments with a Legacy-tuned version of this list. It's really one of the best prison decks to ever be developed in Magic's history.

Zac, I hope you make it to GP: Seattle and then we can see how Lantern Prison fares in Legacy.
    I see it struggling a great deal against combo decks.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    I see it struggling a great deal against combo decks.
    Well, apparently he beat omnitell with his list. I dont think xombo decks are a problem at all. Decks that require assembling multiple cards have a lot of difficulties against discard and scry-control. I don't think reanimator has a favorable matchup over lantern, nor storm.

I think elves is a difficult matchup though. A glimpse hand can draw into extra fuel, a creature heavy hand can go beat sown, and gsz can get reclamation sage for ensnaring bridge.

bruizar

Still acquiring some missing cards to build this so I can get live testing going. Any developments from your sides?

May 2015
    PDX

I would suggest running Predict as it's one of the few draw 2 cards spells, given field of dreams/lanterns. It's also pretty good at disrupting top/counterbalance (and who doesn't love messin' with miracles?).

Brainstorming possible cards:

Force of Will (early game)
    Thoughtcast
    Predict
    Whirlpool Whelm
    Temporal Spring
    Set Adrift
    Whisk Away
    Time Ebb
    Submerge
    Vanishment
    Memory Lapse
    Terminus
    Counterbalance/Top

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

I was looking at this deck (the shadowgripper build) and it made me wonder - wouldn't this deck prefer to play Ponder over Brainstorm. It doesn't run all that many shuffle effects, so the getting rid of 2 cards you don't need is something that'll come up less often then one would want. Ponder offers more digging power for individual lock pieces. Or am I (quite possibly) missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by sistinas View Post
    Brainstorming possible cards:
    I dare you to make the Orcish Spy/Soldier of Fortune or Elemental Augury version of the deck.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Money on MKM and drinks don't mix well....I actually ordered three Field of Dreams yesterday before they are going to skyrocket.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    TCG player mid is $15 now. One auction on ebay right now, the last ebay sale was $17 BIN for Italian. Good call, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I was looking at this deck and it made me wonder - wouldn't this deck prefer to play Ponder over Brainstorm. It doesn't run all that many shuffle effects, so the getting rid of 2 cards you don't need is something that'll come up less often then one would want. Ponder offers more digging power for individual lock pieces. Or am I (quite possibly) missing something here?
    Pyxis of Pandemonium and Ghoulcaller's Bell essentially "shuffle" them to the graveyard/exile. With Ponder you can only mill 1 or 2 cards away, but Brainstorm adds your whole hand to the possible cards you can mill away. Plus if we add W for Enlightened Tutor, then we're in Esper and will need sufficient fetchlands to support the manabase.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Enlightened Tutor and selfmill are a bit of a nonbo, don't you agree..? You'll need more instant speed cantrips then Brainstorm to reliably play it.

Also, wouldn't Sensei's Divining Top fit this deck quite well? Stack the top 3 cards of your deck, mill unnecessary cards away together with your opponents. Seems like an easy way to filter out the cards you do want to draw.

And to add to bruizar's list of typical Legacy threats: Wasteland. I've done some goldfishing, but the manabase seems a bit fragile.
    Last edited by Echelon; 09-23-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Back before Legacy existed in "1.5," I tinkered with a Timesifter deck (played off Mana Drain mana) that used Soothsaying to manipulate draws. It also ran Field of Dreams - maybe I can try to find it somewhere buried in the forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Back before Legacy existed in "1.5," I tinkered with a Timesifter deck (played off Mana Drain mana) that used Soothsaying to manipulate draws. It also ran Field of Dreams - maybe I can try to find it somewhere buried in the forums...
    That sounds incredibly cool.

In all my years of playing Magic I have to say I've not once thought of using "manipulate X top cards of deck" effects to "combo" with Timesifter. Sounds like it could even be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    These days you could combine that with clash cards like Hoarder's Greed and Woodland Guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    These days you could combine that with clash cards like Hoarder's Greed and Woodland Guidance.
    Consider what Soothsaying offers to this type of deck, though. You can shuffle your library repeatedly and manipulate the top cards of your library repeatedly for the cost of X. With fetch lands in full force these days, I'm surprised Soothsaying hasn't seen even more play.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, Soothsaying suffers from the fact that Diving Top exists and is essentially more powerful (can draw a card) and less mana-intensive. Top would also have a greater synergy with the deck, since it's an Artifact for Metalcraft on Mox Opal.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, Soothsaying suffers from the fact that Diving Top exists and is essentially more powerful (can draw a card) and less mana-intensive. Top would also have a greater synergy with the deck, since it's an Artifact for Metalcraft on Mox Opal.
    And even without the top there's Scroll Rack.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Enlightened Tutor and selfmill are a bit of a nonbo, don't you agree..? You'll need more instant speed cantrips then Brainstorm to reliably play it.

Also, wouldn't Sensei's Divining Top fit this deck quite well? Stack the top 3 cards of your deck, mill unnecessary cards away together with your opponents. Seems like an easy way to filter out the cards you do want to draw.

And to add to bruizar's list of typical Legacy threats: Wasteland. I've done some goldfishing, but the manabase seems a bit fragile.
    Yeah, this is why I'm brewing a mono blue control shell with Vendilion Clique, Energy Field and counters. If that falls through, I'm going to add black for discard, creature removal and Duskmantle, House of Shadow so that null rod effects don't stop me from winning.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Yeah, this is why I'm brewing a mono blue control shell with Vendilion Clique, Energy Field and counters. If that falls through, I'm going to add black for discard, creature removal and Duskmantle, House of Shadow so that null rod effects don't stop me from winning.
    Did anyone suggest Back to Basics?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Did anyone suggest Back to Basics?
    I've thought about Back to Basics but I think I won't run it. If you are invalidating business spells, lands start becoming irrelevant quickly. You want the opponent to flood out by discarding business spells. Also constraining mana makes the deck less focused on what it is supposed to do. You end up trying to attack too many angles I think. I could be wrong, it might be good against turbo eldrazi and mud though.

Has anyone tested with island sanctuary? Or maybe moat?

could be bridge 6+7?

Once we have lock do we really need to draw?

Thread Information