Thread: Legacy Champs Top 8 with Splinter Twin

Legacy Champs Top 8 with Splinter Twin

Hello everybody, I’m Max Ansbro, the Splinter Twin guy from Legacy Champs. I finished 7th out of 744. I’ve seen a few things online speculating about the deck, so I figured I’d write this tournament report.

First, a few questions I’ve seen:

Am I a die-hard Modern Twin player?
    No. I actually despise the Modern format. I hate it because every mana efficient library manipulation and draw smoothing spell is banned. Have you ever cast Serum Visions? Card is miserable.

Is the deck just a worse Show and Tell variant?
    I am not quite sure. I think the deck does a similar combo thing, but it attacks in much different ways.

How much of the deck’s success came from the opponent being taken by surprise by a rogue Twin deck in Legacy.
    A huge amount, as you will see in the match details below.

So here’s the deck:

3 Deceiver Exarch
    3 Pestermite
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique

4 Splinter Twin

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Dig Through Time
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    1 Spell Snare
    1 Pyroblast
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Engineered Explosives

4 Volcanic Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Plateau
    4 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa

Sideboard:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Misdirection
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Izzet Staticaster

Deck Development: the point of this section is to dispel any kind of belief that I know anything about Twin. Read it if you’re curious how the list came together or where it’s been so you can take it further yourself.

Full disclosure: I’ve actually never played Twin before outside of Cube. I started fooling around with a Twin list online the weekend before the event. I’m usually a Miracles player, and I believe Miracles is the best deck in the format right now. However, everyone is gunning for Miracles right now. Even other Miracles players are metagaming their decks to gain edges in the mirror. I decided I wanted to try doing something more fun for Eternal Weekend.

Let’s be honest, the idea if far from original. At one point or another, every Modern or Legacy player has thought about porting Twin over to Legacy. In Modern, the deck lets you play either a combo game or a strong control game, often switching roles mid-game. Surely adding Legacy power level cards can do nothing but make this game plan much stronger? Those were my thoughts going in a week ago and I (very briefly) tested several ideas, my conclusions about all of which may be very wrong:

- I originally had three Young Pyromancer in the maindeck alongside four Deceiver Exarch and no Pestermite. I went away from that because I decided that the deck doesn’t produce Pyromancer tokens fast enough to compete with the real Pyromancer and Monastery Mentor decks of the format. Pestermite, I think, allows for decently powerful beats in the air in a midrange-control game as well as having the Twin combo upside.

- There are only two Snapcaster Mage in my deck. I tried more (he is the all-star of the Modern deck after all), but I felt that I don’t churn though cards fast enough to support multiple Snapcasters and three Dig Through Time. Also, I only own two paper Snapcasters so I’m clearly biased.

- What should the sideboard look like? Playing a rogue UR deck (which can splash any third color basically for free) I felt like I could transform into anything. Maybe become a UR Delver deck post board? Maybe go the other direction and cast Show and Tell? We have blue anyway and we want to see a lot of cards, why not side into Counter Top? The miracles player in me wanted to be more controlling post board, but I wanted to keep the potential to combo and a decent beat down plan. I felt that the hate people were bringing in against the Twin combo would simultaneously hit CounterTop, so I went away from that. I experimented with a Trinket Mage package, which was more cute than good. Two days before the event, I decided on this cookie-cutter sideboard build.

- I decided I wanted White as my third color. Ethersworn Canonist seemed like the best option against a combo field dominated by Omni-tell and Storm. She even does well against Elves. I also wanted Wear//Tear against the field of Miracles and the recent slew of Stoneforge Mystic decks that have been doing well. I experimented with splashing green for Krosan Grip and Sylvan Library, both of which were very powerful. I decided against that plan because casting Arcane Lab for three mana seemed terrible vs. Storm and Krosan Grip, at three mana, was a little slower than I wanted it to be.

And so I walked into the event early Saturday. Well, I didn’t exactly walk. I was a little late, so I jogged in at 9:07 and frantically scribbled down my deck-registration. I got some questioning looks as I shuffled through Twin pieces at the table, which made me smile.

Round 1: Four color Delver
    As I said, porting Twin into Legacy is far from an original idea. Decks like this four color delver have to be a big reason nobody expects it to do well. A fast clock backed up by Wastelend to stop you casting your four mana enchantment, Daze, Peirce and Abrupt Decay? Oh boy. The deck even features Young Pyromancer, making the board control backup plan difficult.

Game 1: I died to the typical Delver plan of “make a 1 drop then never allow your opponent to resolve a spell.” I suppose that’s what happens when you try to cast 3s and 4s through Daze and Wasteland.

Game 2: Didn’t go as poorly for me. My opponent kept a cantrip heavy hand and didn’t get out of the gates as quickly, which gave me time to cast a Vendilion Clique to clear the way and pick a spot with two counters backup for the combo. My first time Twinning someone!

Game 3: Started promisingly, however this time my opponent was more prepared. Clique revealed multiple Abrupt Decays and I lost a counter battle over Young Pyromancer. As the game went longer, I got flooded by lands and Elemental tokens and was defeated.

Record: 0-1. Still live for top8… just need 10 wins in a row!

Round 2: RuG Delver
    RuG is a frightening deck for anyone whose plan involves tapping lands for mana in order to put spells onto the stack.

Game 1: This game was won off the back of the “Miracles read.” One of my opening lands was the Tundra, and each spell I played was a part of the Miracles deck. He seemed quite surprised when Exarch arrived to tap his lethal attacker and then Twin happened.

Game 2: I was RuG’d out of the game. Stifle + Wastelanded and I died with two lands looking at my three drops and four drops in hand.

Game 3: I kept a two lander with a Brainstorm. He opened on Nimble Mongoose. I Fetched up a basic island when he tapped out for Delver and a Ponder on turn two (playing around Stifle), cast my Brainstorm on turn three hoping to find land #3… and missed. Brainstorm locked. In desperation to buy time, I cast Ambush Snapcaster Mage to try to trade with Goose on his attack. Mage resolved, but he had a Lightning Bolt to clear the path. Well, we have two Misdirections in the sideboard for a reason. I Misdirected the Bolt to his Delver, traded with Goose, and hoped to draw out of the lock. The third card down was a Relic of Progenitus, perfect for keeping his new Mongoose in check even if it wasn’t the land I wanted. Poping Relic found Brainstorm! Perfect! I cast it… for no lands. Locked again, I was sure I was destined for an 0-2 drop. I did find Force and Counterspell, which traded with Goyf and another Delver over the next few turns.
    His second Mongoose took a few turns to grow to a 3/3 after the Relic, so I wasn’t completely dead when I finally found land #3. At this point, I had two Deceiver Exarchs in hand alongside Jace. It turns out that Exarch in Yoked Ox mode is quite good at keeping 3/3 at bay, and Jace ended up arriving and taking over the game.

*whew* Record: 1-1

Round 3: Goblin Prison
    Game 1: Opponent on the play led with a turn 1 Chalice on 1. My hand included Exarch, Twin, Force, blue card and three lands. I figured I was going against MuD, which plays real high impact spells I’d rather force. Chalice resolved. Turn two he played Blood Moon. Oh. Well, one basic island is all I need for the combo, so I fetched one and let it resolve. Two turns later he was reading Splinter Twin.

Game 2: It turns out that Twin has the advantage over other combo decks of not caring about Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere or Blood Moon. Game two went much the same way as game one.

Record: 2-1

Round 4: Dredge
    Game 1: I don’t think Dredge is as unstoppable as other people seem to. But sometimes they just have the nuts and there’s nothing anyone can do about it. I was killed on turn two.

Game 2: I boarded in the two Flusterstorms, Pyroblasts, and Relics. What do I want to counter? Anything! He discarded Grave Troll turn one and tried to resolve two draw spells on turn two, both of which I countered. This bought enough time to Twin him out of the game.

Game 3: Sometimes Dredge has the nuts, and sometimes it mulls and dies to a single counter. Turn one he cast Putrid Imp, which I Forced (my Force policy in the matchup is to force the first thing to go onto the stack). Turn two he cast Golgari Thug, then Stinkweed Imp. This is not the Big Dredge Machine of legend, and was easily dispatched.

Record: 3-1.

Round 5: Death and Taxes.
    Game 1: Opponent kept a seemly land-light hand that got going slowly after I forced his Aether Vial. I had a bit of time to cantrip and set up, bolting a Stoneforge Mystic and assembling some basic lands. By the time he reached three lands and played Thalia, I had Deceiver + Twin and five mana ready to go. Ironically, Thalia prevented him from casting any of the three Swords to Plowshares in his hand.

Game 2: In my effort to sideboard for Monastery Mentor, Stoneforge Mystic and the various tribal decks, I had quite a few heymakers to bring into this matchup. 2x Sulfur Elemental, 2x Wear//Tear and Izzet Staticaster all came in off the bench, but I didn’t need any of them. Opponent mulled to oblivion looking for interaction with Twin and died easily.

Record: 4-1

Round 6: Death and Taxes again.
    Game 1: This match was much more competitive than the previous one. Aether Vial resolved along with Thalia and Vryn Wingmare. My opponent also had Port rolling, making everything hard to cast. I cast Clique, Hoping to take a single disruption piece and trade with Wingmare. This would buy me enough time and mana to untap, take a Thalia hit, end of turn play Pestermite, tap Port (giving me an extra mana on my turn) and slam Twin. However, Clique showed double Flickerwisp. With Vial on three, this was one too many thing for Pestermite to tap and I died one mana short.

Game 2: Bringing in all my hate again, I had a much easier time setting up the combo. Wear Vial into Snapcaster Wear Vial stopped instant speed uncounterable Flickerwisps from being a problem, I cliqued away one Swords to Plowshares and had the Force for his second.

Game 3: This game was much easier than the previous two. I played Sulfur Elemental and all my opponent’s creatures died. Then I played a second Sulfur Elemental, just because I was feeling vindictive.

Record: 5-1. Over the hump into the second half of the tournament and still not dead!

Round 7: UW Stuff.
    Game 1: Both of us were confused by the other’s deck. My opponent opened with a Plains into Aether Vial. I figured I was against the third Death and Taxes in a row. I went Island into Ponder. Turn two, opponent cracked a Polluted Delta, cast Meddling Mage and named Show and Tell. *whew* good thing I don’t play that. The game progressed, I fetched the Tundra and kept casting cantrips. He probed me and saw a Counterspell and Jace, so he vialed in another Meddling Mage and named Terminus. Gotcha. Three turns later he was dead to Twin.

Game 2: I wasn’t sure what exactly my opponent was doing, so I brought in the same package as the Death and Taxes games. What’s the worst that could happen? My opponent seemed light on lands and didn’t do much after I used EE to bomb his opening Vial. Sulfur Elemental arrived and beat in for three a turn, I fetched a bunch of basic land against his board of Tundra, double Wasteland and Port. I assumed he was locked out of casting Meddling Mages by his one colored source. Then he cast Armageddon, taking me by surprise. My hand was Bolt, second Sulfur Elemental, Force, Dig. I had more than enough cards in the graveyard to Dig, I could even have hardcast Force. But instead I decided to bolt his face and cast the second Elemental, letting Geddon resolve. Two turns later he died.

Record: 6-1. This is, somehow, turning into a real run.

Round 8: Shardless BuG
    Game 1: So Mr. Fancy Twin player, you think your goofy combo deck can play a long, grindy game, eh? Well, this game was long and grindy, and my opponent got the better of me. There are a few decisions I could have made different which may have mattered, but by and large he was in control from start to finish.

Game 2: My plan going into this game was to shave the combo package for the two Misdirections, two Relics and a Wear//Tear (against whatever evil was lurking in his sideboard). This game was also long and grindy, but with one difference. Before Shardless could bury me under Hymn and Liliana and establish a threat, I managed to stick a Jace. This put the pressure on him to get on the board and get rid of Jace before he was buried under my card advantage, which involved him tapping too low to hold up Decay and losing to Twin.

Game 3: Opponent kept a greedy seven including Ancestral Visions and no second land. I Misdirected his Visions. The game was basically over then, but it still went on to include Jace standing tall. Once again, Shardless needed to over-extend to pressure Jace and lost to Twin.

Record: 7-1. At this point, top 8 actually started to feel less like a dream and more like a goal.

Round 9: Merfolk.
    Game 1: My opponent played a bunch of merfolk. I played cantrips, Deceiver Exarch and Splinter Twin. He died.

Game 2: I believe I mis-evaluated my place in this matchup. I boarded out a few combo pieces to bring in the two Pyroblasts, and two Wear//Tear, intending to play a more controlling game vs. The Folk. I ended up short on mana and dying to True Name.

Game 3: I decided I’d rather play/defend my combo than try to defend Jace against Mutavault and True Name. I boarded out Jace for the two Misdirections and brought the combo back in over a Dig and the Wear//Tear’s. This turned out to save me, I spent the Pyroblasts to kill off fish, killed off a Phantasmal Image with an Exarch trigger, and finally put Twin on Exarch with Misdirection backup.
    This, of course, resulted in the Misdirection judge call. Opponent cast Swan Song to counter Twin, which I Misdirected. He, confused, asked what I was Misdirecting it to, so I told him it was to Misdirection itself. He called a judge to see if this was something I was allowed to do. The judge in question apparently has never seen Joe Lossett’s stream and decided that it’s not a legal play. I appealed, the floor judge was overruled, and Twin resolved.

Record: 8-1. Now, two years ago at Legacy Champs, I had a camera feature match that I thought was a win-and-in. I was at X-1 and it was the second to last round. I ended up winning.

Round 10: Lands.
    Game 1: There’s a reason they end GPs after nine rounds. Fatigue was setting in hard and everyone was starting to play fast and loose. Game 1 wasn’t pretty from me. I punted hard and the top of my deck was kind enough to get me there anyway vs. an opponent with very little real interaction.

Game 2: I boarded in my Relics, Wear//Tears and a Misdirection (anything has to be better than Bolt and Pyroblast vs. Land). This game was long and grindy. I fell behind the Waste/Loam game and couldn’t find a Relic to break it up, all the while being Ported down and my opponent clearly leaving up Korsan Grip. Marit Lage arrived, which I was able to stall for two turns with a Deceiver tap and Clique chump (which confirmed his 2x Grips in hand). I couldn’t find Jace to unsummon the 20/20 in time (which would only have delayed things an extra turn) and died.

Game 3: This time things went quite poorly for the Lands player. I had a Relic on turn one, effectively turning off his Loam plan. Then he played Sphere of Resistance, which turned out to be a much bigger problem for him than it was for me. He tried to Waste me down from sufficient mana to cast my spells, but I found enough land to overcome that. I cast an Exarch, and in an effort to not be dead to Twin, he crop rotated for Glacial Chasm (down two more lands for him). I played Jace instead, and Fatesealed away any lands that tapped for mana (which seems an odd thing to do against the Lands deck, but I did it anyway). He went for a desperation 20/20, which I tapped with another Exarch and Jace unsummoned. He finally couldn’t pay for Glacial Chasm and I Twin’d him.

Record: 9-1. Two years ago after I won the penultimate round, it turned out I couldn’t draw into the top8. What followed was the singular worst match of Magic I’ve ever played in my life. In the present, because of my round 1 loss, I had the worst breakers (by a mile) and got the pair down. Once again, no drawing into top8 for me. All I wanted was to not punt it away quite as savagely as before.

Round 11: Miracles.
    This match was the on camera feature. You can find it on the CardTitan Twitch.tv past broadcasts (http://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan/v/12221746, starting at around 9:00:00) (and I’m sure it’ll be up on YouTube soon). I won’t go into too much detail about it as you can just see for yourself what happened. In theory, I think Twin has all the tools to pressure Miracles from multiple angels and, in the end, grind the deck out. I haven’t done nearly enough testing to say for certain, but that was my theory going into this.

Game 1: We played a grinder, in which Miracles ran out of cards first and couldn’t answer Twin. Exactly according to plan.

Game 2: I played a horrific game of Magic. Fortunitely for me, you can’t see too many of my punts on camera (as my hand isn’t clearly visible) so I’ll plead the 5th on telling you about it. Suffice it to say, a reasonable wizard would have won that game from my seat.

Game 3: I firmly am in the camp of “would rather lose than mull.” My seven card hand was double Pyroblast, Force, Jace, Deceiver, Twin and one land. In other words, if I draw land or cantrips (half my deck) this hand is the nuts. What can I say? It was round 11, I was tired and reckless, so I kept it.
    People have been talking about Miracles punting. It doesn’t actually matter which land he tapped for the Flusterstorm, as he wouldn’t have had enough to cast Swords or REB out of the yard (assuming I hadn’t counter-punted, described later). His real punt was casting Snapcaster at all. If he doesn’t do that, his REB kills Exarch and my Force + REB can’t overcome his Flusterstorm in hand. This doesn’t excuse me from my punt to make the mistap relevant. I should have let Snapcaster resolve after the Flusterstorm and Forced the Swords, which would have tapped him out. I left myself open to a whole slew of cards in his hand, none of which he had. This made me the lucky winner.

Record: 10-1. Into Top 8! That night, I saw I was against Grixis Delver. Talking about it with my friends, I’m pretty sure it’s a very rough matchup for me. It’s hard for my deck to play the control game against Zombie Fish and Young Pyromancer, who are too big to bolt or make a bunch of friends pre-bolt. It’s also hard to play a Combo game against a deck with fast pressure, Wasteland, permission and discard out of the board.

Top 8:
    Game 1: My draw didn’t come together at all and I got run over by Young Pyro and his Elemental friends. Just that easy.
    Game 2: I mulled to five (my first time going below six card the whole event, lucky me on the entire run). It doesn’t start off well for me, I Pyro’d an early Delver and put together enough land drops to try for the combo. Given that his many card hand had absolutely nothing, I had outs. However, he did have something, and I was defeated.

Record: Dead in top 8.

Some impressions on the deck after playing it for 12 rounds:
    - It does a very powerful thing, and it can do it with multiple lines of defense.
    - It is a very slow combo. In the many games I Twin'd people, I never felt like I wanted to (or really needed to) before turn six.
    - The ability to tap down an opponent’s mana source on end step with Pestermite / Exarch is huge. It forces them to play awkwardly all game. This probably doesn’t come as a surprise to any Modern players but it struck me as interesting.
    - The “control plan” didn’t so much involve Jace going all the way or getting there with Clique and Snappy beats like I thought it would. Far more often, it involved forcing my opponents into vulnerable positions so I could combo them out.
    - Vendilion Clique is amazing in the deck. I don’t think I’d want to put a third in, but I can’t see ever cutting one.

The deck going forward:
    - I would rework the manabase to have another basic mountain. I played one (because I only own one altered mountain) and there were times when I desperately wanted another. Also, maybe a 21st or 22nd land in general. Or maybe a pair or Preordains. I felt a bit land-light at times through the day, although this isn’t nearly a large enough sample size to say.
    - The deck needs a better plan against Delver, especially the Young Pyromancer versions. Perhaps that involves playing our own in the 75 to fight them on the ground? Perhaps that involves playing Pyroclasms and planning to counter Zombie Fish on the stack? There are plenty of options to experiment with, but I speculate that the answer isn’t trying to force the combo through faster.
    - In the grindy matchups, I wanted another grinding tool. I think I would find room for a third Jace in the sideboard, or perhaps another Snapcaster in the main.
    - I didn’t play against a single combo deck. I feel the deck has the tools to beat Omni and Storm, but this is untested.
    - Perhaps focusing on the Twin aspect of the deck isn’t the right approach. Maybe all we need with Dig and Jace, Brainstorm and Ponder as dig spells are 4 of the Twin creatures and 2 Splinter Twins. This is what I was shaving down to post board for most matchups and I never had a problem finding what I needed (Dig is a hell of a Magic card). The remaining space could easily be used to insert another form of threat. Maybe the bonus Jace/Snapcaster I mentioned above. Maybe a completely different direction, like Stoneforge Mystic or TarmoTwin. Maybe even Deathrite Shaman and a black splash for a discard package.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Legacy Champs Top 8 with Splinter Twin

How can anyone who ever watched or played a few games of Vintage be ever confused with Misdirection?

Congratz
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Congrats!

I think the trap many players are falling into is thinking this is supposed to work like Modern Twin, with better cards. Go off turn 4, etc. It really plays like a control deck with a combo finish.

Jan 2010
    Germany

Awesome run and very nice deck! Congratz!

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Very well done. Congrats!

Not to take any credits away.

Are you also the guy who Miracled an Entreat illegally on camera a year ago?
    https://youtu.be/OSWtKMpry3A

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Not to take any credits away.

Are you also the guy who Miracled an Entreat illegally on camera a year ago?
    https://youtu.be/OSWtKMpry3A
    So I guess that's pretty irrelevant for the tournament report. But... ouch... can't believe no one caught that.

Yes, that is me. Unfortunately, between a table judge watching the match, about a dozen people around the feature match area, two commentators and several thousand people watching the stream, nobody saw that mistake until several days later. I've always felt really bad about making that mistake and I apologized to Kennen. Entirely my fault for not knowing how my own cards worked.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Legacy Tarmotwin sounds so good, would TNN be too slow? Also do you think you win with EE at 2 g2 or was fighting potential tokens still a better read?

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Great report! I love seeing a rogue deck like this make top 8. I think twin is one of those decks that looks alot worse on paper (for Legacy) than it actually is in practice. Running Misdirection was also a really good decision.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Legacy Tarmotwin sounds so good, would TNN be too slow? Also do you think you win with EE at 2 g2 or was fighting potential tokens still a better read?
    TNN is an interesting idea, I thought Clique did a similar thing with other applications although I never tested it. Certainly True Name would be an all-star in a game of Protect the Jace and he pushes through damage like a champ.

At the time, I thought I was completely dead to Angels whereas I was merely mostly dead to Counterbalance. Thus I dropped EE at 0.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Morm View Post
    TNN is an interesting idea, I thought Clique did a similar thing with other applications although I never tested it. Certainly True Name would be an all-star in a game of Protect the Jace and he pushes through damage like a champ.

At the time, I thought I was completely dead to Angels whereas I was merely mostly dead to Counterbalance. Thus I dropped EE at 0.
    It makes sense, you already beat 2 CBs by that point right?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Awesome finish with a cool brew! I thought Legacy was stale

I tried something similar a while ago - a combo / aggro / control Twin deck in the vein of modern - but the meta was pretty hostile and Dig didn't exist. I'll definitely have to try your version at some point.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Have you tried sol lands to speed up the combo? Having it come down a turn earlier puts you on par with storm and omni, that routinely go off turn 3.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Great report! You had some epic games. I love the game vs. RUG Delver where you Brainstorm lock yourself twice and still find a way to get there, and the one against the blue-white deck where he has two Meddling Mages, both naming cards that aren't in your deck! Props for the great finish with a brew. I'm going to second the suggestion of testing a couple of Sol lands.

Hello! I want to play this deck, but I feel it might be too fragile. I played it a while and I really like that it has a good MU against Elves and Storm, which will probably be back in presence since DTT got banned. I also think DTT could be easily replaced by a combination of Preordains/Snapcasters/Intuition/Impulse.

I also wanted to try something different, more grindy:
    I really liked playing Pyroclasm over Sulfur Elemental, as it hits a lot more things like Dark Confidant, Young Pyromancer and his tokens, Delver, Deathrite Shamans, Elves, Merfolk, Monastery Mentor (if you go the tap-them-out route at EoT), Affinity, etc.

I've played against Elves, Shardless BUG, ANT and Jeskai Delver/Blade. Elves and ANT seemed really favourable MUs. Shardless BUG felt pretty good, I'd call it Even (If you manage get them to tap or get them out of BG colors for decay is easy to combo them). Delver felt awful as I always had to mulligan and never got to deal with a delver or a batterskull token early on. But the MU doesn't seem unfavorable though.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I also want to find a way to sneak in a copy of Swords to Plowshares and/or Supreme Verdict in the 75, although Verdict would request another tundra/plateau and it's not likely to happen.

Thread Information