Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Esper Mentor

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Re: Esper Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Sure, you spend the resource (life/land) to replace Probe in your hand with another card, how impactful is that?
    Probe does not have to be impactful, it gets you another card. That card can be impactful. Plus it has the upside of being borderline-bannably good when getting information on someones hand is important. The whole "probe is crutch" argument is bullshit too. I am pretty good at using therapy, but still probe will let you know what you can get insane value out naming a different card, or lets your turn 1, game 1 blind ponder be much stronger because you actually know what to look for now. Free GY food for Angler, having a turn 2 snap target and making monk tokens is also really good.

If you are going to play sweepers, don't play ones that cost WW. Play Deluge, it is much better and often does not kill our mentors. But you don't need sweepers if you just play more cheap cantrips (like probe) which let you be the aggressor with mentor and angler.

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

Glad to see people are playing this deck again. I've been considering sleeving this up again myself. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of this deck versus the Dagen Grixis deck (Angler/Pyromancer/occasional Snapcasters). Mentor is a more powerful threat than Pyromancer, but the Grixis list is a little lower to the ground and gets Lightning Bolt that can go to the face. The Esper list seems to control the game a bit better, though, but it doesn't strike me as a deck that can go long in the same way as Czech Pile because they have a little more card advantage and can neutralize all of Esper's cantrips with cards like Leovold (which we can't Pyroblast) - is that accurate?

Also, anyone playing Unearth/Reanimate in their 75s? I'm assuming they've been tested and deemed not good enough, but I could see them helping to keep up against all these K-Command decks.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by theMonster View Post
    Glad to see people are playing this deck again. I've been considering sleeving this up again myself. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of this deck versus the Dagen Grixis deck (Angler/Pyromancer/occasional Snapcasters). Mentor is a more powerful threat than Pyromancer, but the Grixis list is a little lower to the ground and gets Lightning Bolt that can go to the face. The Esper list seems to control the game a bit better, though, but it doesn't strike me as a deck that can go long in the same way as Czech Pile because they have a little more card advantage and can neutralize all of Esper's cantrips with cards like Leovold (which we can't Pyroblast) - is that accurate?

Also, anyone playing Unearth/Reanimate in their 75s? I'm assuming they've been tested and deemed not good enough, but I could see them helping to keep up against all these K-Command decks.

Thanks!
    I will be playing this list next sunday and am a little concerned of facing down a kolaghan's command myself...

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Monastery Mentor
    2 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

SB:
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Painful Truths
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Hydroblast

I usually play a miser's pithing needle in every legacy sb but am playing a Hydroblast over it for the kolaghan's command matchups (as well as the obvious mono red decks)

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

I feel the only problem this deck has right now is lack of good card advantage engine replacement for Dig Through Time. While JTMS is nutty it gets eaten by True-Name Nemesis and is weak to Delver decks. Painful Truths is 3CMC sorcery speed that costs life. Sylvan Library? Is OK but likely eats Decay or they have Leovold. Cabal Therapy? Strong and an excellent reason to play this deck if you are good with the card, but doesnt draw you into your spells, just weakens your opponent.

4C Control is using Kolaghan's Command/Hymn to Tourach/Night's Whisper + JTMS and all their creatures create card value (except Deathrite Shaman). If I look at the top lists I see games being about who gets Deathrite Shaman control and card advantage going, Grixis and 4C Control seem to have this going best for them and they run 5+ removal spells.

But if Esper Mentor gets to untap with Mentor in play it can beat anything, so I'd either look into amping up the speed with Petals and Ancient Tombs or figuring out a good cheap source of card advantage.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    I feel the only problem this deck has right now is lack of good card advantage engine replacement for Dig Through Time. While JTMS is nutty it gets eaten by True-Name Nemesis and is weak to Delver decks. Painful Truths is 3CMC sorcery speed that costs life. Sylvan Library? Is OK but likely eats Decay or they have Leovold. Cabal Therapy? Strong and an excellent reason to play this deck if you are good with the card, but doesnt draw you into your spells, just weakens your opponent.

4C Control is using Kolaghan's Command/Hymn to Tourach/Night's Whisper + JTMS and all their creatures create card value (except Deathrite Shaman). If I look at the top lists I see games being about who gets Deathrite Shaman control and card advantage going, Grixis and 4C Control seem to have this going best for them and they run 5+ removal spells.

But if Esper Mentor gets to untap with Mentor in play it can beat anything, so I'd either look into amping up the speed with Petals and Ancient Tombs or figuring out a good cheap source of card advantage.
    These are the issues I have been having with the deck as well. Therapy, strix, snapcaster, jace, 1-2 Painful truths/nights whisper and mentor are far more card advantage than every deck in the format EXCEPT 4c Control, and maybe we are even with topless miracles. Against 4c Control, we have to be aggressor. There is no way we are beating K Command and hymn with Esper colors. Flusterstorm helps to combat their card advantage cards and lets us protect an early mentor. They have a fairly hard time answering us going wide with mentor, or dealing with angler but nothing really hoses their deck really hard. They literally can't kill black or white enchantments, but there is nothing I think of that is playable that would really hose them without hurting us. Maybe something like bitterblossom?

It is like playing the midrange vs (pre-ban) miracles matchup: you are not going out grind them no matter what cards you play, if you are going to win, you need to be the beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    These are the issues I have been having with the deck as well. Therapy, strix, snapcaster, jace, 1-2 Painful truths/nights whisper and mentor are far more card advantage than every deck in the format EXCEPT 4c Control, and maybe we are even with topless miracles. Against 4c Control, we have to be aggressor. There is no way we are beating K Command and hymn with Esper colors. Flusterstorm helps to combat their card advantage cards and lets us protect an early mentor. They have a fairly hard time answering us going wide with mentor, or dealing with angler but nothing really hoses their deck really hard. They literally can't kill black or white enchantments, but there is nothing I think of that is playable that would really hose them without hurting us. Maybe something like bitterblossom?

It is like playing the midrange vs (pre-ban) miracles matchup: you are not going out grind them no matter what cards you play, if you are going to win, you need to be the beat down.
    Perhaps 1-2 copies of Tasigur might be a good option here (and in general).
    It is both card advantage and a reasonable win condition.
    Side it out/shuffle it away vs. decks with Karakas.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Tasigur is probably worth revisiting. I could see playing 2 tasigur and 0-1 angler. Tasigur getting chumped by opposing anglers is a big deal though. But luckily swords makes us well equipped to deal with angler. However, Playing tasigur over angler is the opposite of what I recommended above: beating 4c pile with aggression not card advantage.

Jul 2013
    Texas

4 deathrite
    3 snapcaster
    3 mentor
    1 angler

4 Probe
    4 Force
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 swords
    3 lingering souls
    3 Chart a course
    3 cabal therapy
    1 fatal push

4 strand
    4 delta
    3 tundra
    2 sea
    1 scrub
    1 trop

2 island
    1 swamp
    1 plains

2 baleful strix
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 zealous persecution
    2 kambal, consul of allocation
    2 surgical extraction
    1 tormods crypt
    1 pithing needle
    1 disenchant
    1 vindicate
    1 fatal push

Been playing this list for a while to medium results, couple of 3-2 leagues. I do think it's better than that though, I just need more practice in certain matchups. Basically Souls is the best way to keep up with czech's engines in our colors, it is good against discard, good against spot removal, good against PWs and even if DRS is a pain, you should be killing that on sight anyway. Chart a course is stupid good with 6 value discards, plenty of extra lands, and snapcaster in a pinch. I am considering trying to fit in Spell Snare because it deals with a lot of problems (sfm, snap, chalice, hymn). But I wouldn't play many more counters, I don't think planning to counter removal on mentor is what we want to do. It's better to just exhaust their resources with DRS/snap/Souls and then drop a late mentor and use our superior card velocity to close things out. I took a D&T player down from 32 to -7 in two turns despite having to chump/swords equipped batterskulls. Anyway I'm pretty high on this idea and just trying to fine-tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After playing this list that I've never played before to a 4-0 finish in the first four matches of a league last night, I decided not to play the last round and play the challenge today instead. Got 16th place, as you will see on Goldfish tomorrow, and just lost the 5th match of the league. Total 8-3 so far, but one of the wins is from opponent's punts, so I will call it 7-4.

Creatures:
    4 Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Angler
    1 Griselbrand

Spells:
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Force of Will

Lands:
    3 Tundra
    3 USea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Strand
    4 Delta
    1 Marsh Flats

Sideboard:
    1 Tidespout - to have a chance against Lands
    1 Iona - to have a chance against Elves, also can help vs Burn and Storm
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Council's Judgment - answers all the scary permanents - True Name, Jace, Leovold, ...
    1 Disenchant - Chalice / Blood Moon, equipment
    1 Cabal Therapy
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Fatal Push - additional removal vs Delver
    2 Ethersworn Canonist - helps vs Sneak and Show, Storm
    1 Lingering Souls - great against Czech and perhaps Miracles

League Matches:

Infect 2-1 Lost G1. Griselbrand won G2, infinite removal won G3.

Opt Miracles 2-0 - Griselbrand won G1, opponent mulled to 5 G2 and then got Therapied.

Pox 2-1

Maverick, splashing blue (for Leovold?) 2-1 - Griselbrand got G1, I got run over G2, then Mentor got G3.

Esper Stoneblade 1-2 - Got G1 with Mentors. G2 mulled to 5, kept a no-lander with Probe on the draw, missed on land and died. G3 drew too many lands.

Challenge Matches:

2-0 Czech - Griselbrand got G1, Mentor got G2.

0-2 Elves - Playing vs Julian so I knew he was on Elves. Both games kept half the reanimate combo and some cantrips, but couldn't find the other half.

2-1 Burn - My opponent straight up punted and conceded to Griselbrand G1 despite me going to 6 life off Reanimate, where he could have killed me with Bolts.

1-2 Eldrazi - Mentor and Reanimate on Mentor got G1 through a Jitte, but no Chalice. G2 I mulligan'd to 5, killed the Chalice with Disenchant, and died to drawing only lands with Mentor out. G3 I mulligan to 5 again looking for a way to beat a Chalice (therapy, force, disenchant, council's) and keep a Council's Judgment hand. I get Wastelanded, then he finds a 2nd Chalice and I'm dead because I can only kill one.

2-0 Storm - Opponent died to their own Ad Nauseam G1. G2 I kept Force, Force, Fluster, 4 land, while opponent keeps 2 probe, 5 combo cards, no land. He misses on lands for the entire game and dies to a turn 4 Angler.

2-0 Czech - Really grindy game 1 where he kept trying to put Leovold in play while I kept chaining Reanimating Snapcasters and such. Game 2 I saw Dread of Night and opted to not go for Mentor or Souls until I could reasonably beat it. Turns out he had shuffled it away off Brainstorm ... so he died.

tl;dr Mentor list with 4 Entomb 4 Reanimate 1 Griselbrand wins a bunch of games with Griselbrand. Usually Griselbrand dies, but the draw 7 supplies you with enough cards to win. Miracles matchup is far better with Griselbrand. Czech matchup is much better overall, Griselbrand is part of that, also Entomb Lingering Souls isn't the worst.

Edit: List is now posted. Also, realized I didn't include the 1-of Lingering Souls in the sideboard.
    Last edited by DNSolver; 10-09-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Hey DnSolver, nice deck. Any thought to playing a non zero number of unearths and maybe thought scour or something like that? Feel like you could potentially up the graveyard reliance a little bit and perhaps increase the value of your entombs dramatically.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Played against this deck a lot on modo about a year ago. Was this you back then as well?
    -rob

I first played this deck on Saturday in a league, after testing a couple Esper Mentor shells for a few days prior, so I was not "the guy" a year ago.

The only things that Thought Scour could hit are Reanimate targets and Snapcaster targets, and I never have a problem hitting Snapcaster targets (usually Brainstorm if not the nuts turn 2 Snap -> Probe -> Therapy). Currently, all the cantrips are better than Thought Scour.

I have thought about switching the Entomb -> Reanimate -> Griselbrand package into an Entomb -> Unearth -> Leovold / TNN / sideboard bullets card. Obviously, there aren't a ton of good 3 CMC creatures that are worth 2-for-1'ing ourselves to make, whereas Griselbrand is easily worth 2-for-1'ing. However, I have recently swapped Griselbrand for Aetherling maindeck and kept the two sideboard bullets as Iona and Tidespout. Haven't made Aetherling yet.

I do like that Unearth cycles, but I also like that Reanimate can target opponent's stuff, such as opponent's TNN / Leovold / Snapcaster / Griselbrand (hasn't happened yet...). If someone can find some card that I want to Entomb and Unearth that's better than Leovold or TNN let me know, because I don't think even those are worth it.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

How about using Search for Azcanta instead of Entomb. (No bullets, just value) Swap reanimate for Unearth.
    +Filters draws (Dump situational cards)
    +Fills GY
    +Value with Cabal Therapy & Lingering Souls (up the count)
    +Fits the curve with Mentor t3

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ozimek View Post
    How about using Search for Azcanta instead of Entomb. (No bullets, just value) Swap reanimate for Unearth.
    +Filters draws (Dump situational cards)
    +Fills GY
    +Value with Cabal Therapy & Lingering Souls (up the count)
    +Fits the curve with Mentor t3
    I am going to try this. I tried search in Miracles already where it was a very powerful card, although too slow for some matchups. I will post in a bit about how it goes.

Going to be streaming a bit with the deck, talking about some card choices and how I developed it.

Starting in 5 minutes at 10:30 AM EST

twitch.tv/dnsolver

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

I haven't played magic in almost 5 months, but I went to my LGS last night and went 3-1 with this pile...

U/W/b(g) Inna's Mantra

Lands (18)
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

Creatures (12)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Monastery Mentor

Spells (30)
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Sideboard (15)
    3 Meddling Mage
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Disenchant
    1 Council’s Judgment
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Zealous Persecution
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Matchups were:

2-1 D&T
    2-1 Infect
    0-2 UB Reanimator
    2-0 4c Aluren (white version)

Against UB Reanimator, I feel heavily favored for that matchup, but I just had some bad beats. G1 I kept a hand full of white cards and he had a t2 Griselbrand. G2 we both mulled to 6, he had a turn 2 SnT into Grislebrand with Force backup.

If anyone wants details on the other matchups, just ask.

EDIT: Actually, I ran 2 Back to Basics 0 Flusterstorm for the event. However, I've since cut 1 Back to Basics for 1 Flusterstorm and 1 Ethersworn Canonist for 1 Meddling Mage. I'm going to edit my list above to show my updates to it.

EDIT2: I've also cut the Vindicate for a 2nd EE.

EDIT3: Updated my list to show my current sideboard, which is what I ran at Eternal Weekend during the Legacy Championship (main event). Basically, I cut 1 Containment Priest and 1 Zealous Persecution for 1 Council’s Judgment and 1 Toxic Deluge to better address the decks weaknesses to both Leovold and Chalice for 1.
    Last edited by Hanni; 10-24-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    Sligh
    Echo Stompy
    /r Miracle Intuition
    Yorion's Intuition
    5c Hollow Vine

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

I went to a 45 people tournament this week end and got 13th place with TheArchitect list with minor change in back to basic into zealous persecution

// 60 Maindeck
    // 2 Artifact
    2 Engineered Explosives

// 13 Creature
    2 Gurmag Angler
    4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Baleful Strix

// 15 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm

// 19 Land
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea

// 11 Sorcery
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 4 Meddling Mage

// 7 Instant
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Disenchant
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Zealous Persecution

// 1 Planeswalker
    SB: 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 3 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Painful Truths

R1 : 1-1-1 vs 4c control.
    Probably a few mistakes on discard that let jace resolves and got owned by it

R2 : 2-0 vs czech pile. Went full aggro even with meddling mage post board

R3 : 1-1 vs RUG delver. Won game 1 easy thanks to gurmag and strix. Game 2 goes to time and i hit blank and he could find truename and mangoose for last turn lethal while i'm at 2 life and toxic deluge in hand
    R4 : 0-2 vs 4c delver. Got owned by deathrite into waste stifle daze pierce delver bolt hand. Almost the same game 2
    R5 : 2-0 vs eldrazi. Gurmag and mentor crushes him in a non chalice games.
    R6 : 2-1 vs eldrazi. lost 1 to thorn of amethyst. Got 2 with huge strix gurmag mentor board. Game 3 got really lucky hitting 3 swords in 3 turn with 4-5 draw and dodging any topdeck while i'm at 1 attacking him

So, should the deck play Deathrite or Strix? Both are good fits, but it's hard to find room for both, at least in meaningful numbers.

With Lingering Souls the need for Strix is obviously reduced.

Thoughts?

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

There isn't really a defined way to build the deck right now. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of the different lists that have been posted. Until someone top 8's a major event that causes players to netdeck that list, and bring more attention to this archetype to streamline the community accepted list, you're not going to see a unanimous consensus.

I personally feel that Deathrite Shaman offers a lot to this deck, considering this deck likes having extra mana. As far as Baleful Strix is concerned, there are a lot of competing creatures for those slots, and there just isn't a definitive answer. I prefer Stoneforge Mystic myself, but I think I'm in the minority on that.
    Last edited by Hanni; 10-16-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    Sligh
    Echo Stompy
    /r Miracle Intuition
    Yorion's Intuition
    5c Hollow Vine

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I have come around on playing deathrite. If you can't beat them, join them. I previously did not like have deathrite when the deck played a more control role, but against the 50% of the meta that is running deathrite one of the best things you can do is play deathrite yourself. I also do really like lingering souls right now, but don't think it belongs in the maindeck. It is too slow against a lot of matchups and we already have plenty of 3 drops in mentor and snapcaster. I think the SB is a good place for it, to bring in against Control, delver and dark depths decks.

Strix I still want 3-4 of, it ups the blue count, goes well with therapy, is "removal" or at least a speedbump to delver and a solid value beater against control.

I would not play stoneforge in a meta where Kolaghan's Command is in a quarter of the decks.

I tried Search for Alcatraz and it was great in a miracles shell, but way to slow for this deck.

I have had mixed results against 4c pile lately and am about 50/50 which to me is acceptable since on paper the matchup looks like it would be much worse. Flusterstorm, angler and lingering souls pulled the most weight, and basically any game that went on for too long I lost. We have to be the beatdown in this matchup.

This is the list that I will be playing in the foreseeable future if anyone is interested:

4 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Gurmag Angler