Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Esper Mentor

Hybrid View

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Esper Mentor

Since Monastery Mentor was spoiled I have been trying to find the right build of an mentor deck, because mentor is a broken card. I tried UWr in a stoneblade shell but also in a shell with top/CB/terminus (similar to Claudios GP winning list) but black seemed like the more appealing splash. I tried all kinds of configurations esper, testing delvers, linger souls, stoneforge, cavern of souls, deathrites, 2-4 planewalkers, and CB/top/terminus. Through my various iterations of the deck I initially started out with 2-3 mentors and 2 therapies, but quickly realized that therapy and mentor where the best part of the deck since every time I drew either card my deck got to be broken. After upping both to 4ofs everything seemed to come together. Ultimately this is what I have come to:

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea

2 Baleful Strix
    4 Monastery Mentor
    2 Snapcaster Mage

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Dig Through Time

4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek

2 Counterspell
    2 Daze
    4 Force of Will

4 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard:
    4 Meddling Mage
    2 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Null Rod
    1 Timely Reinforcements
    1 Toxic Deluge

The list I settled on is similar to what Kotter alluded to in this article: http://www.starcitygames.com/article...-Top-Tier.html
    It is essentially grixis control with white instead of red. Grixis control at this point is a very proven archtype, and this gives up some of red's strengths for some very good benefits of white.

Grixis:
    - Cheaper main threat (pyromancer)
    - Bolts (reach)
    - Blasts, this is probably the biggest boon
    - Access to blood moon and better artifact hate
    Esper:
    - Meddling mage/cannonist are amazing right now with Omnitell and storm being the combo decks to beat.
    - Mentor being objectively more powerful than pyromancer and kills much faster. All tokens demand quick anwsers.
    - Way better late game. Mentor is a much better threat than pyro and if cabal therapy is drawn late in the game, it's not dead, it's an overrun.*
    - Not having any difficulty with goyf, angler, etc
    - Better sweepers (Zealous Persecution) goes a long way in helping vs elves, mentor, or mother of runes decks.
    - Access to life gain, enchantment hate, and versatile removal cards like council's judgment or vindicate.

*this is a big deal. Untapping with mentor and 2-3 tokens is almost always game over.

The list I have above is probably far from perfect. The 2/2 daze/counterspell split, the MD IoK, the SB deluge and timely reinforcements and the 4 MM, 0 Cannonists are all things that are likely not correct.

I have not played in any large events with the deck yet, but it has been very good in testing so far and I plan on attending an SCG IQ with this deck soon.

Is anyone else playing anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions, especially with the bolded things above?

Re: Esper Mentor

The thing is..., people who made Legacy Podcast have attempted this while back:
    http://www.thebrainstormshow.com/pod...rainstorm-boys
    That was on June of 2015.

Now, the concept has been modified over time, but the most proven list I have seen is still this one:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=89171

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Have you thought about just adding black to the Mentor Miracles build? Someone was doing that at our last FNM, and while I didn't get to watch any of his games, people seemed to really like the deck. The interaction between Top and Mentor is pretty insane, and Counterbalance is probably a lot better at keeping your Mentor around than a few extra counters. You're also really light on removal, and while Mentor is busted, he doesn't really come online quick. On paper at least it looks like dedicated aggro would have an absolute field day with this. Not that it's really a big player in the meta anymore, but I think you'd also have a reasonably hard time against the Delver variants. Maybe testing has shown otherwise?

If you're interested, I can try to track down that Grixis Miracles list for you.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I like your list a lot. I've played a ton with Grixis Pyro. If you want to max on Mentor and not go the miracles route, I think this is the way to go. I'm not sure about the dazes in your build, I've never liked them in decks that aren't lower to the ground. Maybe fluster or pierce main? I run pyroblast main in Grixis and its narrower than fluster. I also think you should max out dig through time.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    The thing is..., people who made Legacy Podcast have attempted this while back:
    http://www.thebrainstormshow.com/pod...rainstorm-boys
    That was on June of 2015.

Now, the concept has been modified over time, but the most proven list I have seen is still this one:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=89171
    Thanks, I saw both of these things. The deck in the podcast is very different, being a delver deck. I did like a lot of his SB ideas but I think esper makes an even worse delver shell than UWR does.

The other list is very similar to my initial list I played around, but just focusing on the mentor and being more aggressive seemed better.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Have you thought about just adding black to the Mentor Miracles build? Someone was doing that at our last FNM, and while I didn't get to watch any of his games, people seemed to really like the deck. The interaction between Top and Mentor is pretty insane, and Counterbalance is probably a lot better at keeping your Mentor around than a few extra counters. You're also really light on removal, and while Mentor is busted, he doesn't really come online quick. On paper at least it looks like dedicated aggro would have an absolute field day with this. Not that it's really a big player in the meta anymore, but I think you'd also have a reasonably hard time against the Delver variants. Maybe testing has shown otherwise?

If you're interested, I can try to track down that Grixis Miracles list for you.
    I think mentor miracles is also a fine deck but this list has less clunky cards and is far more explosive. Dedicated aggro? I have not encounted goblins, merfolk or zoo. However, a 3 drop that makes wild nactals every time you cast a spell probably chumps anything they are doing, snap+swords are also great against decks like that. Maverick or D&T are easy. Jitte is basically the only scary card. Burn is pretty much the hardest matchup. This is fixable with SB cards, but probably not worth it. So far in testing, its been doing fair against delver, 50/50. Daze actually helps alot in the matchup in letting you keep tempo against them.

Grixis miracles sounds interesting. Like UWR miracles splash black for therapy? In the esper mentor miracles I made it was tough finding room for miracles cards, probe, therapy AND mentor, I ended up cutting ponders, which is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    I like your list a lot. I've played a ton with Grixis Pyro. If you want to max on Mentor and not go the miracles route, I think this is the way to go. I'm not sure about the dazes in your build, I've never liked them in decks that aren't lower to the ground. Maybe fluster or pierce main? I run pyroblast main in Grixis and its narrower than fluster. I also think you should max out dig through time.
    I am also unsure about daze. Like I said it has been great vs delver decks. Its pretty meh vs everything else, but it never feels too dead because making a 1/1 prowess guy late game isn't too bad. The cost of returning a land has not felt too bad since the deck usually isnt actually rushing to drop a mentor turn 3. Its equally potent, but easier to protect, turn 4-5 when you have more mana up.

The deck could easily support 4 dig but one issue I already have with the deck is cantriping into cantrips that find more cantrips. Like, if I need a counterspell/threat/removal and I brainstorm/dig and I just see half cantrips, half lands, thats not doing me any good. At some point there is such thing as too much cantrips. But maybe I am not at the point yet.

Have you tried including Lingering Souls in your build and testing it out? I haven't played with Lingering Souls with Mentor, but I have with Pyromancer and it's insane with Pyromancer. Mentor and Souls is the same color and it provides another attacker, which your deck looks like it's light on. Maybe trim Inquisition and a Ponder for two copies and go from there? You did mention you don't like cantrip into cantrip into another cantrip.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    The deck could easily support 4 dig but one issue I already have with the deck is cantriping into cantrips that find more cantrips. Like, if I need a counterspell/threat/removal and I brainstorm/dig and I just see half cantrips, half lands, thats not doing me any good. At some point there is such thing as too much cantrips. But maybe I am not at the point yet.
    This is actually my biggest issue with Grixis Control. In both of my Legacy Champs losses I just spent way too much time cantripping into cantrips when I needed interactive cards. That being said, you often want unconditional cards like cantrips with Mentor, especially since the cantrips don't cost you a card in hand.

I actually like the look of the IoK, but might Thoughtseize just be better if you aren't looking to improve your Burn matchup? Being able to take Force, Delve spells, Omniscience, and Jace seems better than 2 life against Delver.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    I think mentor miracles is also a fine deck but this list has less clunky cards and is far more explosive. Dedicated aggro? I have not encounted goblins, merfolk or zoo. However, a 3 drop that makes wild nactals every time you cast a spell probably chumps anything they are doing, snap+swords are also great against decks like that. Maverick or D&T are easy. Jitte is basically the only scary card. Burn is pretty much the hardest matchup. This is fixable with SB cards, but probably not worth it. So far in testing, its been doing fair against delver, 50/50. Daze actually helps alot in the matchup in letting you keep tempo against them.

Grixis miracles sounds interesting. Like UWR miracles splash black for therapy? In the esper mentor miracles I made it was tough finding room for miracles cards, probe, therapy AND mentor, I ended up cutting ponders, which is bad.
    Right, not that it's really a huge concern because nobody plays Zoo anymore, but you're making the same assumption that a lot of people made with Pyromancer in UR Delver...that he just beats aggro because you make a million chump blockers. But against something with 12+ 1cmc spot removal, you'll be lucky to ever get more than 1 token. But nobody plays Zoo anymore, RUG doesn't have nearly the threat or removal density, and I don't think Jund or Junk are really big presences anymore either. 4c Loam could be slightly problematic just because they've got Punishing Fire and a bunch of sweeper options out of the board.

Yeah I think it was basically Mentor Miracles with Therapies instead of blasts. I'm really not sure though because my games kept going really long that night. I'll try to track him down online and see if I'm anywhere close.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I am most excited to hear about the merfolk and mud matchups. Any strategies you found to be considerably strong and what version of mud it was would be most appreciated.

From my phone. I do my best, dammit!

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I wonder how you consider the omnitell matchup great and the miracle matchup bad while we almost have indentical lists. My experience in GP Lille showed me miracle is a pretty doable matchup while omnitell is way harder.

Are we doing something way different in playstyle? Do note I'm playing 2 lingering souls that are really great against the traditional miracle decks.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    I wonder how you consider the omnitell matchup great and the miracle matchup bad while we almost have indentical lists. My experience in GP Lille showed me miracle is a pretty doable matchup while omnitell is way harder.

Are we doing something way different in playstyle? Do note I'm playing 2 lingering souls that are really great against the traditional miracle decks.
    In your list you have more twice as many planewalkers, needle, lingering souls and a 4th dig. These are all things that are are great in the miracle matchup and I dont have them. With my list the miracle matchup is close, and it is these kind of small changes that I think could turn it into a positive matchup. So your positive experience against miracles makes a lot of sense. Also, for much of my testing I think I was boarding wrong vs miracles: leaving in too many swords to plowshares. Even against the mentor version, STP isn't good and should be taken out.

Omnitell, I have another meddling mage, pierces in my maindeck, less dead cards like sorin or lingering souls, and hydroblast helps as well. So not really a HUGE difference. My results against omnitell may be due to playstyle or just inaccurate because of my relatively small sample size of 3-4 cockatrice matches (all of which I won) with this exact list.

Also, this is how I sideboard against omnitell with my list:

Out: -4 Swords, -2 Strix, -1 Deluge, -2 Mentor, -1 swamp/Jace (draw/play)
    In: +3 Meddling mage, +1 Disenchant, +1 Council’s Judgment, +1 Hydroblast, +2 Flusterstorm, +2 Surgical Extraction

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post

Miracles isn't going to insta-kill you, whereas omnitell might on turn 2 - however, omnitell can't really win through turn one [or zero] gitaxian -> sea -> cabal. As overpowered as that opening is, it doesn't beat miracles on the spot and you've got a pretty slow clock; giving miracles time to find Swords or Terminus. You're not likely to win the counter war vs miracles when they have 8x 1 mana removal spells, and this is where lingering souls can help.

That said, the magic number vs miracles is 2 damage per turn, and lingering souls could just as easily be a less hate-able card type. The most ideal card types would be non-creatures and non-blue so in descending order: planeswalkers and artifacts/echantments [no viable lands that deal damage without becoming creatures]. Anyways the whole point of this tangent is that while lingering souls may help you vs miracles, doubling down on more 1/1 tokens that are also white is very susceptible to Dread of Night effects.

I am curious though vs miracles, given how stacked their responses are vs mentor [4 force, 4 swords, 4 terminus], you just throw mentors out as early as possible regardless of having no backup right?

Are there any specific reasons why you would rather play Strix over SFM package? I'm having a hard time closing out games when I don't see a Mentor soon enough. Strix is a tempo boost, but when omni/grixis get a quick YP down, it's basically useless. I know removal/disruption, but they have this also in grixis. It's less of a concern against omni, but still a concern nonetheless. I like the MD Deluge, it's very strong for a ton of matchups. I think it may be better to have 2 of it rather than 2x ZP.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Are there any specific reasons why you would rather play Strix over SFM package? I'm having a hard time closing out games when I don't see a Mentor soon enough. Strix is a tempo boost, but when omni/grixis get a quick YP down, it's basically useless. I know removal/disruption, but they have this also in grixis. It's less of a concern against omni, but still a concern nonetheless. I like the MD Deluge, it's very strong for a ton of matchups. I think it may be better to have 2 of it rather than 2x ZP.

Strix is a zero maintenance card. You dont care if it immediate eats removal, if it gets discarded, or countered. Its never totally useless. In game 1 against combo it allows for a turn 2 flashback therapy while still giving you a free card or pitches to FoW. Its better than stoneforge in combo matchups. Stoneforge requires a lot of maintenance, even more than mentor. I did try 2 stoneforge and 1 batterskull for a while and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It made me want to take out null rod and add a jitte in the SB as well, which I did not like, but also felt weird not doing. Another option that I tried and it worked great was 1 Angler or Tasigur.

Deluge is more versatile than ZP (which is why its in the main deck), but ZP is way better in a lot of matchups. The fact that its an instant and only cost 2 are a big deal against elves, mom decks, and pyromancer. Maybe in the future I will try 2 deluge though. Hitting delvers, and DRS in particular is really nice.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Very intrigued by this, thanks for the report as well! Mentor has replaced geist as my all time favorite creature and while I've been playing miracles for the past 3 years, this build tickled my fancy more than even miracles does. Have you considered testing with baby Jace at all Or some number of caverns? Just curious as to what you may have found before I test them myself. And I will more than likely be playtesting and tuning this deck to the best of my ability as well, it seems like an excellent mentor shell.

Sorry if this is a rude question, what exactly is the advantage of this style of deck (either Mentor or the Grixis Control shell a la Rich Shay) as opposed to just the usual Grixis Delver builds that have won a bunch of tournaments lately? I really like the look of this deck, but I'm just curious what the strengths and weaknesses of the deck are, what metagames it's better suited to, etc. Specifically, it seems like Grixis Delver, Miracles, and OmniTell are the decks any Legacy player should really be gunning for, and it's unclear to me that this has any advantage over the tried-and-true Delver decks. From what I understand in this thread, the OmniTell matchup gets better, the Miracles matchup gets worse, and it doesn't look like the edge in the Delver matchup is particularly large...

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by iostream View Post
    Sorry if this is a rude question, what exactly is the advantage of this style of deck (either Mentor or the Grixis Control shell a la Rich Shay) as opposed to just the usual Grixis Delver builds that have won a bunch of tournaments lately? I really like the look of this deck, but I'm just curious what the strengths and weaknesses of the deck are, what metagames it's better suited to, etc. Specifically, it seems like Grixis Delver, Miracles, and OmniTell are the decks any Legacy player should really be gunning for, and it's unclear to me that this has any advantage over the tried-and-true Delver decks. From what I understand in this thread, the OmniTell matchup gets better, the Miracles matchup gets worse, and it doesn't look like the edge in the Delver matchup is particularly large...
    Its not a rude question. Whenever someone has a new idea in legacy, the question should always be "how is this any better than what already works?". Often times people are just trying new things for the sake of being different/unique, and its NOT better than what already works. I don't think this is the case here though.

It's hard to compare this deck to Grixis delver, but like you said the miracles matchup gets worse, the omnitell matchup is as good or better. Sure Grixis delver, omnitell and miracles are the top decks, but combined they still only make up about 15-20% of the meta, looking at only those matchups is not very helpful. As a midrange/control deck this deck is naturally better against a lot of the stuff that generally do well against delver decks like maverick, death and taxes, elves or lands.

This is from a PM I sent to someone earlier, that my be helpful as well.
    ...The archtype is still developing, and there a lot of possible variants that change the matchups. Like some lists have deathrites, stoneforge, more/less planeswalkers, etc. I think what I played is closest to the best version of the deck, but I could very well be wrong.

For my list, these are roughly the matchups, based mostly on small amounts of testing 2-4 matches but also some theory crafting.

Favored: Team Ameriaca, Elves, Infect
    Slightly Favored: Omnitell, Storm, Lands
    Even: RUG, BURG or Grixis delver, Grixis control, Reanimator
    Slight Unfavored: Miracles, MUD
    Unfavored: Jund, Merfolk, Burn, 4c Loam

Stoneblade, D&T, Maverick can vary between slightly favored, to slightly unfavored depending on their exact set up.

It generally plays most simialar to grixis control, but can kill big or shrouded creatures easier, meddling mages, and a more explosive threat (mentor), while grixis gets burn, a lower curve, blasts and blood moon.
    Is this deck better positioned than miracles, omnitell, grixis delver or control? I'm not entirely sure, its very hard to objectively determine which deck is best. I think this deck is certainly good. In an abstract sense, I think it is about within +/-5% of Grixis Control's power in the meta. Grixis control is well established as one of the top decks in the format right now and this might be a bit better, it might be a bit worse, but it is very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniehajj View Post
    Have you considered testing with baby Jace at all Or some number of caverns
    I tried cavern. It was pretty good. You have to count it as a spell though, and not cut a different land for it, because it doesn't really cast any of ours spells, with almost everything being 1cmc or UB or UU. Its high on my list of things I might play again in the near future.

I have not played with baby Jace (I had to read him with Rich cast him against me at Worcester). He does seem like he would be good in this deck though. I will have to try him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I am curious though vs miracles, given how stacked their responses are vs mentor [4 force, 4 swords, 4 terminus], you just throw mentors out as early as possible regardless of having no backup right?
    No, absolutely not. You have to be the aggressor, but you can't afford to tap out early, or jam mentors without protection. Letting them resolve an early-midgame CB is really bad, even with mentor in play. I would not cast mentor until any swords in their hand are therapied away, I have multiple mentors, lots of spells to chain in responce to swords, or better things to do like resolve dig or jace. Force on mentor is not the end of the world, but I would not jam a mentor into a possible counterspell or terminus. Postboard, they should have cut some or all of their swords so you have to worry more about their permission than removal. The miracles matchup is about counterbalance, dig, therapy, and SB Haymakers. Mentor is a means to an end after the fight over the important spells is done.

Delver loses a lot of power mid/late game. Our token generator is much better than Grixis, as are our tokens. Grixis' removal is, in my opinion, strictly worse as well, but I dislike Bolt, and my meta is less blue than the national average, so REB is a less than optimal choice for me. I have also always felt that YP is a pretty bad topdeck, whereas Mentor can build up momentum in a fashion that Pyro has no capability of rivaling. I've been playing Delver in the capacity of BUG for quite some time and the mid/late-game strength of this deck, and the fact that it's not the same kind of tempo deck anyway, is what draws me to it. I'm still waiting for a decent stifle build of mentor, though.

So, it's not a build like anything else in this thread and perhaps it doesn't belong here, but I'm going to post it here. If I need to, I'll start a new thread, but for now I need criticisms and suggestions. I plan on playing this tomorrow at a win-a-box tournament.

4 DRS
    2 SFM
    3 Mentor

2 L. Souls
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 BSkull
    1 Jitte
    3 StP
    1 Reality Shift
    1 ADecay
    1 Toxic Deluge

1 JtMS
    3 DTT
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    3 Probe
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Therapy
    3 FoW

1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    2 Island
    1 Trop
    1 Scrubland
    2 USea
    2 Tundra
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Delta
    4 Strand

I'm going to post my sideboard, but it isn't what I would play in an open meta. It's for my local meta.

1 FoW
    1 Therapy
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Timely Reinforcements
    1 ZP
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 EE
    1 ADecay
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Disenchant
    1 Containment Priest

In the list I posted above, Bitterblossom has been strong. It builds momentum early. My best line was:

Turn 1: fetch land, DRS.
    Turn 2: fetch land, Souls.
    Turn 3: fetch land, Bitterblossom, flashback Souls.

Quite insane.

Thread Information