Thread: Commander Variant Format - Over-Powered Leaders

Commander Variant Format - Over-Powered Leaders

I really like playing Vintage. I regularly bash Vintage decks with a group of people just for the hell of it. I get to draft from a Vintage cube almost twice a month. It's the greatest Magic format ever for so many reasons.

I also love Commander for different reasons. However; I find myself constantly thinking about why the ban list is so huge. After all, this is a singleton format, so what harm can a single Black Lotus do?

In an effort to combine these two formats, I am testing what I am calling "Over-Powered Leaders." It's a Tiny Leaders variant with a greatly reduced ban list. In short:

Decks are 49 cards plus the Commander. Life totals start at 25. No commander damage. All cards must have a CMC of 3 or less. Sidisi, Brood Tyrant is legal as a BUG general because no other options exist. The color-identity rule is in force. The ban list in its current iteration is:

All dexterity and ante cards
    Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
    Karakas
    Time Vault

You get to play with all the power you want to. Balance is the best sweeper in the format. The early turns are quite bomby thanks to a plethora of fast mana.

In building a few decks so far, there seems to be a tension between stuffing your deck with ridiculously powerful cards and actually winning the game. There are not all that many infinite combos, so beatdown is key. Yes, you can play all the power you want, but it doesn't win you the game, so you have to make a concession somewhere.

Here's a sample decklist for posterity.

Adamaro, First to Desire

10 Mountain
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa

1 Rite of Flame
    1 Pyretic Ritual
    1 Desperate Ritual
    1 Seething Song
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mana Vault

1 Gamble
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Scroll Rack

1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Howling Mine

1 Mass Hysteria
    1 Goblin Welder
    1 Ashling's Prerogative
    1 Reverberate
    1 Fork
    1 Reiterate
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Swiftfoot Boots

1 Gorilla Shaman
    1 Vandalblast
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Flame Rift
    1 Price of Progress
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Molten Psyche
    1 Flamebreak
    1 Chalice of the Void

So, what do you think? Am I missing something downright broken? Could this format be expanded to regular Commander? My theory is that as long as everyone is playing the most powerful stuff possible, the games would actually be rather balanced, if very fast.

In testing so far, it's seemed like a very fun format. Throw down some sample decklists if you get a chance - I'd love to see some stuff that I may be missing.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Re: Commander Variant Format - Over-Powered Leaders

Flooded Grove is supposed to be Strand

Aug 2009
    Germany

I don't think you can play mox pearl and emerald with Tetsuo as the commander.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemon View Post
    I don't think you can play mox pearl and emerald with Tetsuo as the commander.
    Good point! You could probably just substitute a Mana Vault and a Simian Spirit Guide and still be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    Good point! You could probably just substitute a Mana Vault and a Simian Spirit Guide and still be fine.
    Very nice. Have you gotten to test against anyone? What's your fundamental turn?

I'll put it together and test. I was kind of wondering what storm would look like without Tendrils.

Thread Information