Thread: riptide chimera enchantress?

riptide chimera enchantress?

Hey y'all! Just a rough idea for a take on Enchantress that has some potential advantages:

4x Riptide Chimera
    4x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    3x Abundant Growth

4x Root Maze
    4x Elephant Grass
    3x Solitary Confinement
    4x Enchantress's Presence
    2x Sterling Grove
    3x Green Sun's Zenith

4x Serra's Sanctum
    1x Plains
    2x Island
    12x Forest

Here is my reasoning for a built surrounding Chimera:

- Root Maze really messes up a lot of decks, any fetchland deck really and especially combo decks with lotus petal. You can return it to your hand so it doesn't affect you then you recast it to draw cards. It should buy a ton of extra time against fast decks in order to get your critical mass and momentum. Who sides out their 8-10 fetchlands?
    - Elephant Grass you can recast over and over and never pay the upkeep, drawing cards each time.
    - Solitary Confinement you can recast without discarding cards or skipping your draw step.
    - Abundant Growth becomes "1 green mana: draw a card" at the very least as well as lessening your dependence on fetchlands. If you're light on mana, hey maybe you'll draw a land.
    - Chimeras can defend you and attack planeswalkers

I'm sure it can be greatly improved, what are your ideas?

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Re: riptide chimera enchantress?

Theres an infinite turn combo with Second Chance and Riptide. You can certainly play suicide effects like Library and Probe to get you to low life and just keep taking turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    Theres an infinite turn combo with Second Chance and Riptide. You can certainly play suicide effects like Library and Probe to get you to low life and just keep taking turns.
    How do you propose getting second chance out of the graveyard with that list?

They're both probably bad, but Ancestral Knowledge is another fun card to keep replaying, and if you can get around the cumulative upkeep issue (ha) then Mystic Remora is silly.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How do you propose getting second chance out of the graveyard with that list?

They're both probably bad, but Ancestral Knowledge is another fun card to keep replaying, and if you can get around the cumulative upkeep issue (ha) then Mystic Remora is silly.
    I guess he wants to put the effect of second chance in the pile first, the chimera's one. So you bring back the enchant your hand and try to resolve it's trigger the best you can: You can't sacrifice second chance, but you can take the extra-turn. replay second chance, rince and repeat.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I guess he wants to put the effect of second chance in the pile first, the chimera's one. So you bring back the enchant your hand and try to resolve it's trigger the best you can: You can't sacrifice second chance, but you can take the extra-turn. replay second chance, rince and repeat.
    This. There was an errata change somewhere that was reversed; the deckbox link in the forum has an "If you do" clause, whereas the Oracle text is pretty much the same as printed.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Rulings:

10/4/2004: It is not optional.
    10/4/2004: The ability will only trigger if you have 5 or less life at the beginning of upkeep. This is checked again at the start of resolution and nothing happens if you do not still have 5 or less life.
    10/4/2004: If multiple "extra turn" effects resolve in the same turn, take them in the reverse of the order that the effects resolved.
    6/15/2010: On resolution of the trigger you have to sacrifice this card if you have 5 life or less. If you can't (because it is not on the battlefield, for example), then you still take an extra turn after this one.

Bolded for emphasis.

It's worth it to at least try. Chimera doesn't target so you can dodge Decay as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    This. There was an errata change somewhere that was reversed; the deckbox link in the forum has an "If you do" clause, whereas the Oracle text is pretty much the same as printed.
    That certainly explains my confusion.

Edit:
    Sarcomancy, Cloudform, and Lightform are reusable creature makers.

I love what you're doing here, but you're not taking advantage of Blue. I think that this deck is better UG with a white splash for Sterling Grove. Force of Will, Second Chance, and Gitaxian Probe would be a good start.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

choke, Tsabo's web, and back to basics all have great synergy with root maze.

Hmm all neat ideas I'll have to think and come up with some alternate decklists.

One thing that I prefer in decks is to avoid 2-card combos and go with overall synergies without depending on any one card. Even if we pack up with sterling groves so they can't destroy a combo piece, if they counter one of the combo pieces then the other one that's already on the table is weak...

Also white seems to be powerful in the sideboard. Also solitary seems good against the entire field of combo and aggro decks. Suppression field maybe instead of back to basics?

I just thought that Sea's Claim and Spreading Seas would be good blue enchantments to allow for mana screwing.

If you need an enchantment that bounces to your hand naturally, you can use mana bloom instead of your creature. It will be much less likely to die, and will still provide you with the effect you want without forcing you into blue. For enchantress in general you really cant go wrong with 3 mirri's guile. Hell sometimes I even run 4 in my lists, even though you only get its effect once (unless you are shuffling with fetches :D). dropping that turn 1 can ensure you set up the rest of the game MUCH nicer. definitely try it!

Whip Silk is a long time established card in the monoG enchantress combo.. you'd need some hexproof creature to go safe.

Worship or Solitary Confinement to make it a hardlock.
    Also Sterling Grove.

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    If you need an enchantment that bounces to your hand naturally, you can use mana bloom instead of your creature. It will be much less likely to die, and will still provide you with the effect you want without forcing you into blue. For enchantress in general you really cant go wrong with 3 mirri's guile. Hell sometimes I even run 4 in my lists, even though you only get its effect once (unless you are shuffling with fetches :D). dropping that turn 1 can ensure you set up the rest of the game MUCH nicer. definitely try it!

That's true I've seen mana bloom work well in enchantress... but it doesn't hurt your opponent or do much for you other than be a castable enchantment. What I was going for with riptide chimera beyond re-casting enchantments to draw cards is to not suffer the bad sides of elephant grass, root maze, and solitary confinement (which can often have to be abandoned otherwise!). Ideally we would find some really nasty 2-sided hate cards.

Some card selection like Mirri's Guile would be nice but I can't see running fetch lands in a deck with 4 root mazes. Besides, the card selection of the opponent via brainstorm/fetch is rendered extremely slow by root maze.

I wonder if we can find another way to get card selection early on?

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Whip Silk is a long time established card in the monoG enchantress combo.. you'd need some hexproof creature to go safe.

Worship or Solitary Confinement to make it a hardlock.
    Also Sterling Grove.
    Same here I think we need to go with nasty and cheap 2-sided hate cards that we can return to our hands so that not only are we drawing cards, but we're restricting our opponents while not feeling those restrictions on ourselves so that we can pay mana for all the cards we're drawing.

Solitary and Grove are in the first post list.

Rancor + Auratog (or any "sacrifice a permanent" effect) also are a great draw engine in this deck.. You should find better creatures than Auratog though..

Hey y'all I've been testing this out, it's actually been doing pretty well... I tried to keep the cards in the deck to a structure where each one is decent on its own, two synergize well, and three or four become overwhelming synergy. I dropped super-powerful cards that don't work on their own like Emrakul or Solitary Confinement. This is a full on budget deck that seems to do well. Not sure about the sideboard... definitely needs some provision for Chalice on 1... maybe Seal of Primordium. Root Maze is good against combo - real good - but it's not good enough on its own since the rest of the deck isn't fast enough to build to a stronger deterrent or apply big pressure.

4x Riptide Chimera
    4x Argothian Enchantress
    3 Drake Familiar
    2 Thassa, God of the Sea

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Abundant Growth

4x Back to Basics
    4x Root Maze
    4x Elephant Grass
    3x Enchantress's Presence

20x Forest

May 2005
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by FatPow2 View Post
    Hey y'all I've been testing this out, it's actually been doing pretty well... I tried to keep the cards in the deck to a structure where each one is decent on its own, two synergize well, and three or four become overwhelming synergy. I dropped super-powerful cards that don't work on their own like Emrakul or Solitary Confinement. This is a full on budget deck that seems to do well. Not sure about the sideboard... definitely needs some provision for Chalice on 1... maybe Seal of Primordium. Root Maze is good against combo - real good - but it's not good enough on its own since the rest of the deck isn't fast enough to build to a stronger deterrent or apply big pressure.

4x Riptide Chimera
    4x Argothian Enchantress
    3 Drake Familiar
    2 Thassa, God of the Sea

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Abundant Growth

4x Back to Basics
    4x Root Maze
    4x Elephant Grass
    3x Enchantress's Presence

20x Forest
    I ran almost the same list a few weeks ago with blood moon instead of back to basics. Blood moon crushes a lot of popular decks. One major problem with the deck is a decent win condition.

Thread Information