Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion about Jace, the Vryn's Prodigy and his incursion into Legacy?

What's your opinion about Jace, the Vryn's Prodigy and his incursion into Legacy?

I mean his incursion into some kind of deck you're seeing lately.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: What's your opinion about Jace, the Vryn's Prodigy and his incursion into Legacy?

Hasn't made it into any Tight Sight lists... 2/5 poké balls
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Re: What's your opinion about Jace, the Vryn's Prodigy and his incursion into Legacy?

Seems nice in reanimator for obvious reasons.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Good for him.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

At first I was surprised seeing it in legacy lists, but then I realized its a 2-mana planeswalker with ability to protect itself and create card advantage. The current meta with graveyard/delve shenanigans seem good environment for this jace.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Legacy gets new playable cards from time to time. It's not as if the new Jace is making big waves or shaking up the meta - it's a card that sees play.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    At first I was surprised seeing it in legacy lists, but then I realized its a 2-mana planeswalker with ability to protect itself and create card advantage. The current meta with graveyard/delve shenanigans seem good environment for this jace.
    Origins Jace is a Merfolk Looter that can't attack and deal damage, but with a major upside. I'm not surprised that he warrants testing in Legacy.

Did not like him in Miracles, at least in my limited testing.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AnziD View Post
    Did not like him in Miracles, at least in my limited testing.
    Oh really.....

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Origins Jace is a Merfolk Looter that can't attack and deal damage, but with a major upside. I'm not surprised that he warrants testing in Legacy.
    Cards have to be good to make it in the big leagues. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Jace is great in every format where it's legal. I need to grab foils before they become $∞.

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Jace is great in every format where it's legal. I need to grab foils before they become $∞.
    You are a bit late... There was this guy in the origin spoiler thread who pre-ordered 200! (At least he said he will)
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

A new Jace is potentially playable in Legacy? Quelle surprise!

The new jace in UBx decks is awesome. This guy with thoughtseize or iok is broken. I think Grixis will survive in legacy because this guy + kolaghan's command is good Vs all matchups.

I haven't seen anyone fielding him, which doesn't surprise me. Perhaps testing reveals him to be secretly strong, but he looks seriously weak on the surface. 2 mana, 0/2, next turn he might flip and give me flashback on something? This is $50 for a sluggish Snapcaster Mage that can't attack. I have better use for my gaming funds than such a dubious expenditure. I'd hardly call his first ability protection either, -2/0 is not very convincing.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    I haven't seen anyone fielding him, which doesn't surprise me. Perhaps testing reveals him to be secretly strong, but he looks seriously weak on the surface. 2 mana, 0/2, next turn he might flip and give me flashback on something? This is $50 for a sluggish Snapcaster Mage that can't attack. I have better use for my gaming funds than such a dubious expenditure. I'd hardly call his first ability protection either, -2/0 is not very convincing.
    When he's the next $100 Standard card and played in half the Legacy DTBs you'll be regretting this.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    When he's the next $100 Standard card and played in half the Legacy DTBs you'll be regretting this.
    Then scoop it up bro

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    A new Jace is potentially playable in Legacy? Quelle surprise!
    Well, the Jace before this was one of the worst planeswalkers ever printed...

Were that (baby Jace becoming a staple) to happen, I would be chagrined and probably end up buying the card at the higher price.

However, I see pretty scant evidence that baby Jace is becoming a thing. The last premier IQ in Milwaukee top 8 featured a single copy, and that was in Grixis Pyromancer: a deck cut to tier 1.5 (at best) with the recent banning. I think it's more likely that baby Jace slowly disappears than that he becomes dominant. If there's reason to suspect otherwise, a surge in his use in a popular archetype for instance, please share.

May 2015
    PDX

I've been running it as a 1-2x since it was legal in legacy; been really pleased with all four functions [five if you count the block trick]. I'm quite happy if an opponent wastes a card to fight it, because they kind of have to [or else it gets real bad for them, real quick].
    Looting:
    -strategically grow goyfs and reanimator will be strong as yard hate should decrease a bit now that DTT is gone. Plays well with daze in the mid-game, changing lands to spells. May seen fringe synergy with a card like Riftstone Portal. I'm also sure a deck using Jeskai Ascendancy can abuse stacking multiple loot triggers at instant speed - and I'm shocked the modern players of this combo haven't tried this yet.
    (+1) ability:
    -slows delvers, quite good at turning off jitte, blanks abilities like deathtouch [strix], first strike [thalia/mirran crusader]
    (-3) ability:
    -self explanatory, but also allows alternate cost spells from the yard.
    (-9) ability:
    -actually surprisingly relevant; have won a couple games vs MUD's t1 chalice, focusing on the wasteland plan into inevitable death by mill. Consider it against any non-Emrakul prison decks.

If you don't need a "flagbearer" effect, and your game plan is flip then flashback a spell, then he dies...this probably isn't the card you want to run. If you're a deck that wants to play standard [spam as many lands onto the field as you can, every turn you can], then again it's not the card you want to run, as lands are generally what you should want to dump with loots.

Thread Information