Thread: Walls Tribal

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Walls Tribal

This is for the Tribal Wars format. If you don't know what that is (I don't really expect you to) I explain here. I'm not posting this in the New and Developmental Decks forum because I'm not disillusioned enough to think this is viable in Legacy where shit like Omni-Tell and ANT would easily dismantle it.

Background
    I've been trying to make a Walls deck ever since I first pulled Rolling Stones from a pack and thought it would be cool if Sunweb could attack people. It just never clicked because when the time came to go for the kill my walls just weren't that great on offense. I even made another version with a ton of walls and Door of Destinies to pump them. When this plan worked it was a beating but I would need both Rolling Stones and Door of Destinies. I gave up on my walls deck for a while until I saw Assault Formation (AF) spoiled. Ermagherd guys! This card is like Doran, the Siege Tower shot his seed into Rolling Stones' cracks and spawned the best card for Tribal Walls ever.
    I tested out a number of different versions and eventually just ended up cutting Rolling Stones all-together and added Sylvan Library and Enlightened Tutor to help me find my AFs. Keep in mind, this is a format where you are primarily fighting against other hordes of creatures. There are no sideboards so people are more likely to run a ton of creature kill as opposed to cards that can handle enchantments. This deck does pretty damn well against even the best tribes and is faster than you might think. (Turn 1 - Shield Sphere x2 and Wall of Vines, Turn 2 - Assault Formation, Turn 3 - swing for 15 damage)

Current List
    Creatures
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Wall of Vines
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Omens
    4 Stalwart Shield-Bearers
    4 Wall of Shards

Spells
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Assault Formation
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Crushing Vines
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Fell the Mighty

Land
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Savannah
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    3 Horizon Canopy
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

Card Choices
    There are a lot of Walls to choose from and I've experimented with many (even outside of GW). One of my favorite walls, Wall of Denial, doesn't work because you have to target it with AF to allow it to attack. I wish it had Hexproof instead of Shroud.

Shield Sphere - let's talk about how nasty this is in this deck. It's essentially a 6/6 for 0 (with AF out) and can be found with Enlightened Tutor. You can also put it out early if you need to tap Cradle for mana turn 1.
    Wall of Vines - there to block early pests, like Lackey, and chump fliers. There are arguments for this being another 1cc Wall.
    Wall of Blossoms and Wall of Omens - solid 0/4s that replace themselves. I would never run less than the full 8 in this deck.
    Stalwart Shield-Bearers - The only non-wall is the general for all things Defender. Giving creatures +0/+2 in this deck is equivalent to a general like Lord of Atlantis giving +2/+2.
    Wall of Shards - usually comes out when you know next turn you want to swing for 8 flying or if you need to block your opponent's fatty. In Tribal wars you need to be able to block flying Angels, Demons, Dragons, Vampires, even fucking flying Slivers sometimes. The cumulative upkeep drawback isn't as bad as it seems. At the very worst, it's been out for 4 turns and your opponent is gaining 4 life at upkeep and you are hopefully swinging for 8 damage. This nets you the same damage total as an Angelic Wall but with a fatter ass.

Honorable mentions
    Overgrown Battlement - Enables big turns where you are paying to activate AF for multiple creatures or you can generate tons of mana for AF's +0/+1 ability. This ability is often needed late in the game so you can make your walls bigger than your opponent's creatures to enable your game-ending swing.
    Tree of Redemption - In the past I've run 1 to 2 of these big guys depending on which tribes I think I'll be facing. You want Overgrown Battlement to get this guy out on turn 3 and block pretty much anything that doesn't fly.

Swords to Plowshares - a no-brainer because everyone is running at least 20 creatures.
    Enlightened Tutor finds AF, Library, Shield Sphere, and Ensnaring Bridge.
    Crushing Vines - sometimes your friend reanimates a fucking Griselbrand turn two and you feel the need to kill it. Other times the guy running mono-R Dragon Stompy gets smart and puts out Chalice for 2, which pretty much beats your entire deck. It really sucks when you have no outs to this. I might run two of these.
    Ensnaring Bridge - Oh what is this? My Walls with zero power can attack but your school of 6/6 Mer-people can't do anything? That's right. One of the best cards in this deck.
    Fell the Mighty - This is the ultimate oh shit button for the walls deck. This could arguably be another Crushing Vines or Bridge but it's basically a one sided wrath.

The manabase is pretty much what you'd expect. Fetches help shuffle if Sylvan Library is active. The Gaea's Cradles are there for the same reasons I run Overgrown Battlement. Horizon Canopy is nice for when you really need to find that AF, StP, or Bridge.

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. Also if you want to see more lists for Tribal Wars just pick a tribe, I've probably build a deck around it and would be happy to share my list.
    Last edited by Holiday; 09-16-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: Walls Tribal

Back in cca 1998 a friend of mine build an RGW Walls.dec that sported all kinds of walls, Glyph of Destruction, Righteousness and Berserk, and the kill was Altar of Dementia
    But yeah, what you're trying is much more reasonable, as there are far less life points to kill than cards to mill.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Glyph of Destruction is a fun card I looked at too but I just couldn't find a way to make work. Maybe your buddy could have tried Flinging his walls instead of using Altar.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Want to play Modern?

4 Axebane Guardian
    4 Drift of Phantasms
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    4 Steel Wall
    4 Wall of Vines
    4 Jaddi Offshoot
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Chord of Calling
    4 Staff of Domination
    4 Triton Tactics

12 Forest
    4 Breeding Pool
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Island

Combo Walls is the new meta people! Make infinite mana, draw infinite cards, cast infinite Emrakuls, take infinite turns, deal infinite damage! What can go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Thread Information