Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bant Retreat to Coralhelm

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Re: Bant Retreat to Coralhelm

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    How has Rhox been? I want to up the Primal commands since they're devastating against most slow decks, and can be played turn 3 without much trouble here. It gives us game against Tron if we don't see our combo, and +7 life against burn is game over if they don't Skullcrack in response. If I'm running that many Primals I think it's safe to drop Rhox.
    Rhox has been good. I'm going to try cutting down to 1 and adding the Suhome.

Primal would also take over Fauna Shaman's slot, who seems fine but not as good as Primal due to the swiss army knife style of the card.
    I like Primal Command over Fauna Shaman in general, but I thought having another cheap play might be advantageous.

Is lotus cobra necessary? 8 Mana dorks is already going to be gumming up the works if we hit mid/late game, and doesn't accelerate us into our 3 drop which is the main problem I have with it. My main focus is to not have too many dead cards in here.
    Cobra isn't "necessary," but it's pretty good. I doesn't accel into 3-drops, but it does allow for as much as 8 mana on turn 3 (T1: land, dortk T2: Cobra, fetch land, Dork, crack the fetch, dork, dork T3: tap 3 dorks, play/crack a fetch, tap 3 lands). Hence I'm only running 2. We could try just running 1, but then it's so infrequently seen early that it's probably not worth it.

Have you ever used Slayers Stronghold for the haste? It seems very niche since you'd need 3 lands in addition to whatever you're casting. +2/+0 is fine, but all lands must be scrutinized since the manabase is going to be very important to the combo.
    Yes. I find myself using Slayers' Stronghold for haste in most games, ideally making Primeval Titan swing immediately but also sometime just letting a KotR immediately get active. It's also really nice with Ojutai (vigilance = hexproof).

...have you ever run into a situation where Liliana hits something other than a mana dork? I'm just wary of the hands where you have to play Dryad Arbor early and it just eats a bolt, or even worse a Pyroclasm.
    I've saved a big KotR by fetching Dryad Arbor once against Jund. They had bolts for my mana dorks and I needed to chump block a Goyf, but I played a KotR with a fetch up.

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

For some reason, I keep wanting to see Arcanis, The Omnipotent in this deck. I'm probably insane though.
    Also, I think something like Cunning Sparkmage seems sweet as a machine gun effect.
    Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Bignasty197 View Post
    For some reason, I keep wanting to see Arcanis, The Omnipotent in this deck. I'm probably insane though.
    Also, I think something like Cunning Sparkmage seems sweet as a machine gun effect.
    Arcanis the Omnipotent, while very cute, would just be durdly here. If you have 6 mana to cast it, you can do other things that will win you the game. He may fit into a different build though, perhaps one that is more combo-centric and doesn't rely on the combat step. I think Cunning Sparkmage is a bit of a stretch, but I could actually see boarding a copy of Izzet Staticaster against things like Elves or even Affinity. The ability to untap it with Retreat and take down multiple x/2's or bigger is pretty sweet. You probably wouldn't be looking to machine gun Noble Hierarchs or Birds of Paradise though.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I've been doing a lot of testing with the deck and my new list is in the OP.

I tried out Lotus Cobra and I don't really like him. 8 Mana dorks seems really good with the big spells I want to cast, and if I wanted more I'd probably go Llanowar Elves just because the 3 cmc spells are so critical in this deck. Whenever I played a Lotus Cobra I always wished it would just tap for mana, since I also don't always hit my land drops. I played probably 20 games with 2x Lotus Cobra but they're going back to 0.

The combo itself is awesome, I probably got it 1 in every 10 games after they figured out how to not lose to it as often. When my opponents knew how to play against this deck they'd kill KotR on sight, which is fine because that's just how good it is. A turn 3 kill is absolutely ridiculous though in a deck that also can go big. When I found Retreat to Coralhelm but no Knight I also was doing pretty well, since I usually had one of the other fatties that synergize well with it and could pump them out quickly with untapping mana dorks. It even is really good at helping us to stall with fetchland activations on their turn.

Primeval Titan is awesome. I have him at 3 right now and the deck feels like I'm playing mana ramp + big fatties with an occasional instant win. I liked Prime Time at 2 but it does so much work that I moved him up to 3. It really helps to have such a big blocker who can also attack (Ojutai doesn't do defense as well since 4 toughness can't block most of the big creatures in the format).

Ojutai is also just incredible. Ojutai + Minamo is fantastic, and being able to fetch out Minamo with 4 KotR and 2-3 Prime Time has won me many games. Ojutai with Retreat and a Fetchland is also great. I've been such a huge fan of Ojutai that I'm keeping him at 3. His Anticipate ability just wins games for you like no other beater can.

I've been using a couple Simic Charms, and they're pretty decent. They're fairly good at stalling, but you never know when a +3/+3 wins you the game. After playing with a deck that had Path to Exile, they had to start Pathing on their turn before I untapped with Knight because of this card (usually they'd prefer to wait till my upkeep so I don't get the additional mana source). I even got to +3/+3 my 8/8 Prime Time (exalted x2) to kill through 2x Loxodon Smiter with 1x Voice of Resurgence, which was pretty awesome.

In terms of utility lands I was very disappointed with Ghost Quarter and Tec edge. You just need the colored sources. I put in a Dryad Arbor since getting from 5 to 6 mana with a Primal Command happened enough to warrant it. It also get's the fun interaction of untapping from landfall with Retreat. Manlands also were never ever used. If I could search for a land and needed damage it was pretty much always correct to grab the Kessig and then just swing with one of the mana dorks. The one thing I might want is a Radiant Fountain or Kabira Crossroads to grab as an immediate effect with Prime time.

Great deck so far though. Try out the Ojutai + minamo if you haven't yet (also with Prime times though since just knights may not be enough fetching sources for lands.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I tried out Lotus Cobra and I don't really like him. ... Whenever I played a Lotus Cobra I always wished it would just tap for mana, since I also don't always hit my land drops. I played probably 20 games with 2x Lotus Cobra but they're going back to 0.
    I've had the opposite experience. I really like the Cobra for the potential explosiveness, but also because people are scared of it. They tend to kill it on sight, which means there is less removal available for the fatties. That might change as people become more aware of what the deck is doing. I do like the benefit of having a Cobra in play with the KotR combo; it functions as a more effective mana dork at that stage, allowing you to generate so much mana that you can fetch out and activate all of your utility lands (Yay for hasty, vigilant, trampling, double strikers!).

Primeval Titan is awesome. I have him at 3 right now...
    I'm running 2 Titans and 2 Primal Commands, which has been working pretty well for me. Titan is really high in raw power, but I found that I liked having my split of bombs (2 Primeval Titan, 1 Dragonlord Ojutai, 1 Baneslayer Angel, 1 Rafiq of the Many), because, as powerful as Titan is, sometimes it's nice to have the versatility of evasion, hexproof, or lifelink. Rafiq is just there to provide blowouts.

Ojutai is also just incredible. Ojutai + Minamo is fantastic, and being able to fetch out Minamo with 4 KotR and 2-3 Prime Time has won me many games. Ojutai with Retreat and a Fetchland is also great. I've been such a huge fan of Ojutai that I'm keeping him at 3. His Anticipate ability just wins games for you like no other beater can.
    I agree that Ojutai is incredible. I'm not running Minamo, School at Water's Edge at the moment, because it's functionally colorless on turn 1, and I'm already running Kessig Wolf Run, Slayers' Stronghold, and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion among my 24 total lands. Ojutai's Anticipate is very powerful and giving him double strike is just the best (granted, you opponent is usually dead at that point).

I've been using a couple Simic Charms, and they're pretty decent.
    I'm currently on 4 Path to Exile and 2 Dromoka's Command as my instants. I've been really impressed with Command. It's just so versatile and your creatures are generally capable of winning a fight at any stage of the game.

In terms of utility lands I was very disappointed with Ghost Quarter and Tec edge. You just need the colored sources.
    Agreed. The colored mana is more important and you're explosive enough that you're generally taking the proactive role. I've had a Ghost Quarter in the board for the Tron and Amulet Bloom matchup, but I haven't played those matchups too much.

Overall, I'm really liking the deck. I'm a bit higher on an Enchantress/Constellation brew at the moment, but that deck is only going to be super good until people start packing multiple Back to Nature in their sideboards.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I find our Lotus Cobra difference interesting. I have never wanted it when I get the KotR combo going, as it has always been lethal on its own, so basically the only thing I'd want it for is Prime Time or turn 3 ojutai, though I've had some games where I had Lotus Cobra out but just couldn't get the land drops I needed (fetchlands in particular, as that's the only way to get more mana out of Cobra than any other dork).

I think you should try out Minamo, it has been surprisingly powerful for me. When you are only able to get 1 activation off of Knight it's the land I always grab, since an early Kessig isn't that useful. I do have 3 Ojutais so I have him very frequently, I guess my recommendation is dependent on having that high of a density of Ojutais. I didn't try slayer's stronghold or sunhome yet, though, but am currently not ever finding a time where I'd want to use those both or even either of them over a Kessig. I like that Minamo at least makes blue.

Dromoka seems good against red but not good against non-red. It doesn't really protect your Knight/fatty so I'm not sure it's really worth it. I haven't found myself needing that much removal.

Post your constellation deck, I'm interested. I messed around with a Starfield/Leyline deck for a while but it was just bad. Funny, but bad.

Awesome thread so far. Peeking in to give what is, in my opinion, an obligatory mention to Realms Uncharted. Giftsing for 4 fetchlands seems like an insane way to maintain consistency, and would keep Lotus Cobra from being a durdler. It's like Prime Time junior at instant speed. Resolving one puts you at a distinct advantage in resources and gas. You'd likely come out ahead in any grindy matchup. And if they counter it, then that's just less permission to worry about. (I love this deck's ability to just brute force its way through disruption by simply running out too many must-answers to handle.) It also seems like deck thinning is a significant byproduct of this strategy, which is especially potent with Coralhelm's Scrying. Realms would send this over the top.

Of course, you probably don't want it as more than a 2-of.

Also: I know, I only remembered Realms Uncharted existed about an hour ago. I was surprised, too.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I find our Lotus Cobra difference interesting. I have never wanted it when I get the KotR combo going, as it has always been lethal on its own, so basically the only thing I'd want it for is Prime Time or turn 3 ojutai, though I've had some games where I had Lotus Cobra out but just couldn't get the land drops I needed (fetchlands in particular, as that's the only way to get more mana out of Cobra than any other dork).
    This is interesting. I often find myself setting up the KotR combo but running low on life and tutoring for fetchlands costs too much life. Cobra lets you generate mana by getting any land, whereas a mana dork requires a fetch so you get 2 untap triggers (one for dork, one for Knight).

I think you should try out Minamo...
    I really like the idea, but I think with just the single Ojutai in my list, it's not worth it. If a few more legends make the maindeck, I'll consider it.

Post your constellation deck, I'm interested. I messed around with a Starfield/Leyline deck for a while but it was just bad. Funny, but bad.
    I'll get around to it soon. The deck has just changed so much in the last 2 weeks or so; I want to be sure I like where it's at first. It started as 3 colors before BFZ spoilers began, then I added blue after Kiora, Master of the Depths was spoiled, then I cut black after Retreat to Coralhelm was spoiled. I'm sure I'll start a thread before the weekend is through.

Quote Originally Posted by SakuraTribeAlderman View Post
    Awesome thread so far. Peeking in to give what is, in my opinion, an obligatory mention to Realms Uncharted. Giftsing for 4 fetchlands seems like an insane way to maintain consistency, and would keep Lotus Cobra from being a durdler. It's like Prime Time junior at instant speed. Resolving one puts you at a distinct advantage in resources and gas. You'd likely come out ahead in any grindy matchup. And if they counter it, then that's just less permission to worry about. (I love this deck's ability to just brute force its way through disruption by simply running out too many must-answers to handle.) It also seems like deck thinning is a significant byproduct of this strategy, which is especially potent with Coralhelm's Scrying. Realms would send this over the top.

Of course, you probably don't want it as more than a 2-of.
    Oh man, if Realms Uncharted makes this deck, I'll be on cloud 9; I've been waiting for that card to do something for a long time. That said, I just can't imagine cutting anything for it. 2 copies (if any) is likely the right number, as you would want draw it with some consistency, but wouldn't really ever want more than one. Your analysis of the deck is pretty spot on. It does just brute force its way through a number of games, as everything other than a mana dork is a serious threat. The deck thinning is also very real. Between KotR and Primeval Titan, it's not uncommon that I end up with 0-3 lands left in my deck at the end of a game. Retreat to Coralhelm is nice for many reasons, but the fact that this deck is OK drawing a fetchland after all fetchable lands have been removed from the deck is something rather unique (you can still scry, shuffle, and pump your KotR).

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    This is interesting. I often find myself setting up the KotR combo but running low on life and tutoring for fetchlands costs too much life. Cobra lets you generate mana by getting any land, whereas a mana dork requires a fetch so you get 2 untap triggers (one for dork, one for Knight).
    How often do you cycle through your deck with KotR, do a lot of damage but not lethal, and then die before you kill them the next turn? I've (once, only) just gotten knight "big" and swung with trample for about 1/2 of their life before and then finished it up the next turn, if I was worried about dying to burn.

Also, at least from the 5 real games I got the combo off, just pumping an additional 6 mana in with a mana dork and fetches was enough to lethal-ize my knight. At least on turn 3 you usually have a lot to work with still, unless you're playing against a straight up burn deck.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

How often do you cycle through your deck with KotR, do a lot of damage but not lethal, and then die before you kill them the next turn? I've (once, only) just gotten knight "big" and swung with trample for about 1/2 of their life before and then finished it up the next turn, if I was worried about dying to burn.

Also, at least from the 5 real games I got the combo off, just pumping an additional 6 mana in with a mana dork and fetches was enough to lethal-ize my knight. At least on turn 3 you usually have a lot to work with still, unless you're playing against a straight up burn deck.
    I wish I would have taken better notes or had a better recollection of these types of games in general, but often the situation would be that my opponent is tapped out (or at least low) and I jam Retreat. I want to combo off and win that turn to avoid giving my opponent a chance at removing KotR. A lot of my matchups were against Naya Company and other aggro decks, so my life total would already be under pressure. If my opponent was still at 15+ and I was at -12 life, it sometimes concerned me that I might have to run low enough that a stray Lightning Bolt could take me out. Maybe I was just playing scared, too. I would think, "What can they do that will hose me?" and what I was often most afraid of was them letting me run all of the lands out of my deck, then hitting my KotR with a Path to Exile, leaving me to play the rest of the game with nothing more than 3 lands in play (which makes casting Primeval Titan and Ojutai a bit difficult).

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Good point, I hadn't considered the stranded with no lands part, though I think if you stop at hitting them for 50% of their life you can afford to not cycle through the entire set of lands in your deck. It hasn't come up where that was necessary for me yet since if I'm comboing off early it means I already have the mana dork to untap ~8times with fetches and that has always been enough with the 19/19 or so KotR (average size) with a Kessig.

I'd say everyone should keep some notes while playing to see how often this comes up. If it's pretty infrequent (albeit quite memorable) then we could ignore it and just take the loss, since it might be better that way. I won't have time to test for a little while but will definitely play this deck at weeklies when I get the cards in.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

I'm surprised to see the dislike of lotus Cobra from some of you, all my testing has lead me to a mythic bant style deck with retreats .

I have fat fingers and I am posting from my iPhone.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I think it's just me. I've tried him out a lot, every time I get him he's a win-more or do-nothing with exactly zero in between. If you aren't playing something very similar to my decklist it's probably going to be completely different, but I've been thoroughly unimpressed.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Lotus Cobra is a really unique card. The margins between it being Mediocre, Great, or Win More are very narrow. I like it. I think of it as another mana dork that provides all colors and occasionally allows for ridiculous things. It also draws your opponent's removal, as no one has ever tried to do anything fair or reasonable with Lotus Cobra. That said, it is fragile, is another poor top-deck later in the game, and isn't the best in combat. I think there are reasonable arguments either way and individual builds will affect that a lot. I actually got it in my head the other day to try a build with more Cobras, Eldrazi Conscription, Sovereigns of Lost Alara, Academy Researchers, Bruna, Light of Alabaster, and a few other powerful auras...then I regained my sanity.
    Last edited by CaptainTwiddle; 10-01-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

I've been testing a Mythic Bant style deck And have found it superior to Hooglands list.

I have fat fingers and I am posting from my iPhone.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    I actually got it in my head the other day to try a build with more Cobras, Eldrazi Conscription, Sovereigns of Lost Alara, Academy Researchers, Bruna, Light of Alabaster, and a few other powerful auras...then I regained my sanity.
    This sounds awesome, but yeah, really all-or-nothingy. If only they had Hexproof...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I've been testing a Mythic Bant style deck And have found it superior to Hooglands list.
    I consider myself pretty literate in magic-talk and have no idea what you're saying here. What Mythic Bant deck and I don't really follow hoogland, care to explain?

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I don't know if this is something I necessarily want to pursue with the current builds being discussed, but it was brought to my attention that Ruin Ghost + Retreat to Coralhelm (and a land that enters the battlefield untapped and produces W) = infinite landfall triggers, which can translate to just about anything: infinite P/T, life gain, life drain, mana, etc.

Ruin Ghost is incredibly fragile, so it's not something that I would really want to build around directly, but if it could be included to provide reasonable utility outside of the combos, then I'd be interested. The fact that Ruin Ghost is a Spirit may be of some relevance.

Just food for thought at this point. If I come up with a brew around this, I'll probably start a different thread.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Yeah there are a few cards like this one I've seen mentioned but all of them are 3 card combos that do nothing on their own. I really like this deck because both parts of the 2 card combo are good on their own and turn into an oops I win button. I've played my fair share of 3 card combo decks (I just won't shut up about how awesome my survival of the fittest + Sneak Attack + Academy Rector -> Form of the Dragon Legacy deck was my greatest creation of all time), and they always are awesome when they work but can't hold up against the best decks.

I'm going to play this deck (probably the 60 in the OP) on Monday. I'll report back after.

Played a list similar to the one you guys posted(I actually copied it and made small changes) at FNM tonight and Tuesday night earlier this week going 4-0 and 2-1, respectively. After seeing Rafiq and Ojutai jammed into the list, I knew I had to try it.

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Dragonlord Ojutai
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Kitchen Finks
    3 Primeval Titan
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Rafiq of the Many
    2 Rhox War Monk

1 Bant Charm
    2 Dromoka's Command
    4 Path to Exile
    1 Primal Command
    4 Retreat to Coralhelm

2 Breeding Pool
    2 Stomping Ground
    2 Temple Garden
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
    1 Kessig Wolf Run
    1 Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
    1 Slayers' Stronghold

I think Sunhome is necessary. The reach it provides helps comboing off at low life totals(it allowed me to get there from 3 life). It's also disgusting with Ojutai and Primetime.
    I also think Lotus Cobra is unnecessary. The deck already has a lot of mana dorks and outside of burst mana for early Titan/Ojutai, doesn't do that much. Early fatties are already possible with Retreat, anyway.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Awesome, thanks for the report/list. Looks like we agree on stuff, which is always nice.

I'm wondering if you need to have both Sunhome and Stronghold in the deck. I know they're doing different things, I just am having issues with those 2 + Kessig making a lot of colorless mana early on. They are great with the creatures you mentioned, but still it seems a bit much.

Thoughts on 2-of Geist, 1-of Rafiq, and Rhox's? I kept trimming down my utility creatures and made my list more mana dorks into fatties but you seem to have some in between here. Also, which matchups gave you the most trouble?

Thread Information