Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bant Retreat to Coralhelm

Re: Bant Retreat to Coralhelm

There are a lot of list that splash red as a fourth color for kessig and nahiri, I wanted to get you guys' thoughts on b splashing black instead of red. It opens the deck up to some of the more robust removal spells i.e. Abrupt decay and cretures i.e. orhzov pontiff, and anafenza for graveyard hate. As far as lands go vault of the archangel makes combat a nightmare for opposing players. Since murmuring bosk is a forest it also adds another level of utility.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

I for myself think that the only real reason to splash red is Kessig and Izzet Staticaster as it is so strong against Affinity Infect and small dork stuff.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I've taken a bit of a hiatus from working on Knightfall decks, as I've been a tad underwhelmed by them. I think the issue with the decks is simply that they end up being too much of a "Swiss Army knife" when Modern is more of a "scalpel" format. Eli Kassis has done reasonably well on the SCG circuit playing versions that use Collected Company. While I think those builds are good, they don't seem like the most powerful thing you can be doing with Collected Company. I think what the KotR + Retreat to Coralhelm combo really needs to shine is a solid shell that it can fit into while providing added synergy from both of the combo pieces individually. Early on (as in, right after Battle for Zendikar was released), there were some creature toolbox decks that generally ran Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Restoration Angel and included the Knight + Retreat combo. While those decks could derive extra utility from Retreat to Coralhelm (e.g. untapping Kiki) and KotR (e.g. facilitating a 5-color mana base), they seem to have evolved into the more streamlined Kiki Evolution lists that we see today.

So, after all the variations I've explored since this thread was started, I think if/when I come back to the deck, I'm going to start with my original approach of trying to build a midrange/value deck that can play the attrition game and incidentally combo off, while getting value from Knight and Retreat individually.

Thread Information