Thread: Bant Retreat to Coralhelm

Threaded View

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Bant Retreat to Coralhelm

This deck is getting too much attention on MTGSal to get any cohesive design push.

The new card that is getting all the hype:

This card is actually really cool. It does lots of things, from enabling you to pretty much 1 hit kill with Knight of the Reliquary to turning every mana dork in your deck into a Lotus Cobra. It also just lets you find good stuff easily with scry, or taps down defenders. A lot of different directions could be taken with this style of deck, but I think 2 important things are necessary for it to be good:

1. The deck functions well without Retreat, and doesn't rely on any combo too much.

2. The deck can spend the mana well if it does get a Retreat and doesn't rely on KotR to win.

One of the coolest things a deck like this could do is Turn 1 Mana dork, Turn 2 Retreat to Coralhelm, Turn 3 fetchland -> 6 mana. I think building around this curve is necessary in the deck being good. We want 6cmc game changers. The one I'm thinking of is Primeval Titan since we'll already have a couple utility lands in the deck for KotR to work with.

Aside from that you can turn 2/3 a Knight of the Reliquary and then next turn drop Retreat to Coralhelm and go through your entire lands in your deck

The list I'm thinking of is something like this:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Dragonlord Ojutai
    3 Primeval Titan
    1 Eternal Witness

4 Retreat to Coralhelm
    4 Path to Exile
    2 Negate
    2 Simic Charm
    3 Primal Command

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Temple Garden
    4 Breeding Pool
    2 Stomping Ground
    1 Kessig Wolf Run
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Treetop Village
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
    1 Dryad Arbor

Where do you guys think we should take this deck? Sun Titans perhaps? It's pretty cool to have a deck that just has an instant win but plays like a normal bant deck until then.
    Last edited by Phoenix Ignition; 09-24-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Thread Information