Thread: #1 with Miracles at eternal-clash.com with team #bordifies

#1 with Miracles at eternal-clash.com with team #bordifies

After finishing Top4 at Danish Legacy Masters and Top2 at the 3rd Eternal-Clash.com with
    UWR Jeskai Stoneblade I managed to win the 5th http://eternal-clash.com Legacy Tournament - the largest regular event in Germany with 70+ Players.

I've only been playing Miracles over Jeskai Stoneblade since three weeks now but I was fairly confidant with UWr control strategies
    in the past. For this tournament, we heavily tested with four players from team #bordifies three weeks before the event
    and we expected to see lots of Miracles (12,33%), Grixis (8,22%) and Omnitell (only 2,74% - 2 decks). I've been building
    this list as a legendary hybrid with Joe Lossets list in mind and the European 4x Ponder shell. We've been
    disliking the 1 Mountain and 2x Karakas in Joe's List and the lack of Ponder but also thought 4 Ponder were too much
    since I want my spells to actually do something. This hybrid list is currently my favourite configuration
    but I might also try out the pure legendary miracles list with 8 creatures. The 1x Cavern of Souls in the main and 1x in the
    sideboard saved the day and the Monastery Mentors are still monstrous although everyone knows about it. I can't remember
    any game where I wanted to have Entreat the Angels in my deck over legendary creatures or Monastery Mentors.

So now here is the list I've been playing for three weeks and which won me
    the http://www.eternal-clash.com/event/19-09-2015/ event.

#1 Miracle Control Peer Oke Richelsen
    Creatures (6)
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Snapcaster Mage

Instants (17)
    1 Counterspell
    2 Dig through Time
    2 Pyroblast
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries (6)
    2 Ponder
    4 Terminus

Enchantments (4)
    4 Counterbalance

Planeswalkers (2)
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts (4)
    4 Sensei’s Divining Top

Lands (21)
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    3 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard (15)
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Cavern Of Souls
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Monastery Mentor

Unfortunatly I lost my notes so I can't remember the names and plays 100% accurately.

Round 1: 2:1 Ole - Belcher
    Game 1: I kept a hand with zero interaction on turn 0 and lost to 12 Goblins. I was hoping for a miracled terminus but didn't show my opponent more than a scalding tarn.
    Game 2: He keeps 7 but does nothing for 2 turns and is discarding Elvish Spirit Guide which gets immediately surgical extracted into turn 2 Ethersworn Canonist. After looking through his deck I
    was unable to find removal for this creature and he conceided.
    Game 3: He did nothing I win.

Round 2: 2:1 Anders - TES
    Game 1: I kept a hand of Force, Snapcaster, Jace, Counterbalance and lands and he opens with Badlands. I made a mistake by forcing his Chrome Mox because I thought he announced
    Mox Opal instead of Chrome Mox so I set him on AggroLoam. He duressed me and took Counterbalance leaving me with nothing and meeting Tendrils turn 3. I made a very poor performance that game.
    Game 2: I surgical his Decay and win with Counterbalance
    Game 3: Something with permission and Vendilion Clique

Round 3: 2:0 Danish guy (can't remember) - Death and Taxes
    Game 1: I stole this one with Counterbalance
    Game 2: I stole this one with Jace, The Mindsculptor + Sulfur Elemental and later Monastery Mentor (these cards are bonkers)

Round 4: 0:2 Mads Soerensen - BUG Delver (later rematch in quarterfinal)
    Game 1: He only showed me 2 Tropical Islands and a Wasteland for the first three turns and I set him on Infect. My hand was very poor and
    as he beat me down with two Tarmogoyfs countering both Terminus and Swords with Daze and Spell Pierce. This was one of the poorest draws I had since I played this deck,
    Game 2: I sided in 2x Wear // Tear but he managed to stick both Null Rod + Sylvan Library (which drew 5 Cards) and I was unable to find removal and disenchant effects.

Round 5: 0:2 Jan Ozimek - Miracle
    Game 1: He wins with a quick Counterbalance + Top lock and I scoop very early.
    Game 2: I managed to lock him out for some turns but he managed to resolve an Entreat The Angels for one angel which beat me down to roughly 6 lives
    and a combination of Cliques and Snapcaster dealt the rest I think. Can't remember exactly.

After the good start I was a little frustrated loosing two in a row against very good players. With 73 players we figured out there would be 2 slots for players with X:2 in the Top8 so I
    kept playing since I had a good opponent score.

Round 6: 2:1 Philipp - UR OmniSneak
    We know each other for several years and I was fairly sure about his UR Omni/Sneak hybrid with Burning Wish.
    Game 1: He resolved a hardcast Sneak Attack which ensured him to get around my one of Karakas in the maindeck. Then Emrakul happened twice.
    Game 2: He tried to go for it turn 2 with Island + City of Traitors but failed. He played Lotus Petal + Lotus Petal to play arount Spell Pierce but his
    Show and Tell was countered by lots of Flusterstorm.
    Game 3: He mulliganed and started with Scalding Tarn. I kept a hand with 2x Sensei's Divining Top, 1 Force of Will, 1 Surgicl Extraction, 1 Snapcaster and two lands.
    I drew my third top and cast one of them in the mainphase and was very happy that he countered it. He then cast Surgical Extration targeting Divining Top as he noticed I was very ok with that decision.
    I cast my own Surgical Extraction targeting Sensei's Divining Top thus countering his copy leaving me with Force + Snapcaster and 2 Tops in hand. He missed landdrop number two and I forced his next cantrip
    as I was aware of Boseiju. In my turn three I cast Snapcaster targeting Surgical Extraction targeting his Scalding Tarn and he really struggled. He misses more landdrops and I win by beatdown.

Round 7: 2:1 Moritz - Chalice MUD. I lost this part of my notes .

I was one of the 2 players with X:2 who got the chance to play for
    Top8 and I won the tournament beating my earlier opponents Mads with a close 2:1 and Jan with 2:0 winning an unlimited Tundra.

Thanks Max and Brela, the real administrators of Eternal-Clash for these amazing events (It's been the 5th event with rising attendance) and I hope the
    legacy tournament series will keep on rocking for a little while.

Thanks to the two Judges Patrick and Lutz for keeping the tournament fair and calm.

And thanks again Thore for selling me your miracles deck and teaching me how to pilot it correctly.

Cheers,
    Peer.

P.S: Team #bordifies is organizing a new legacy series called: Bordifies Eternal Series with great prices in Kiel (Northern Germany) on 10th October 2015. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the http://Eternal-Clash.com participants there.
    Read more at: http://bordifies.com/EternalSeries
    Last edited by screallix; 11-05-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Re: #1 with Miracles at eternal-clash.com with team #bordifies

There's a Philipp in Europe who's Not playing Miracles, what a surprise.

That Mana base is a bit greedy, similar to Lossett's, seems to work just fine.

Jan 2012
    Marseille, France

Congratulations !

In your testing, didn't you have problem to close game one in reasonable amount of time without Entreat/Mentor main deck ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka1333 View Post
    Congratulations !

In your testing, didn't you have problem to close game one in reasonable amount of time without Entreat/Mentor main deck ?
    You mean in the testing before the tournament? Actually I had no problem at all finishing game one in time.

Those game ones that I won were in under 20 minutes and I ended up only one time in extra turns at the tournament.
    Most of the game ones that I've lost were due to lack of permission instead of Entreat/Mentor.

A lot of decks can't handle Counterbalance in Game 1 and then you only need one of your win-conditions and a faster pace to finish Game 1 in time.
    Decks that play Decay often tend to loose to the 2x Jace, The Mindsculptor, too.

I haven't had one match up in the testing and at the tournament where I wanted to have Entreat the Angels in the Maindeck.

Jan 2012
    Marseille, France

Thank you for your answer.

I have always been playing at least 2 Entreat the Angels in my Miracle but it might be time to move on ^^;.

Decks where you really need them (Jund and BUG Shardless) are no more popular.

The third V. Clique (in SD) seems like a waste of sideboard space to me. One Snapcaster Mage or a StP could me imo.

Why 3 Monastery Mentor in the SB ? I feel like 2 is more than enough.

I wouldn't mind a second Venser in the SB and a second Canonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka1333 View Post
    Thank you for your answer.

I have always been playing at least 2 Entreat the Angels in my Miracle but it might be time to move on ^^;.

Decks where you really need them (Jund and BUG Shardless) are no more popular.

The third V. Clique (in SD) seems like a waste of sideboard space to me. One Snapcaster Mage or a StP could me imo.

Why 3 Monastery Mentor in the SB ? I feel like 2 is more than enough.

I wouldn't mind a second Venser in the SB and a second Canonist.
    I've thought about moving the clique into the maindeck but then I end up playing legendary miracles. I might give it a run. I often borded out the venser so 2 might me too much.

I tested the jund match up today with a team mate and indeed the game 1 is very poor without Entreat but Sideborded games tend to work better. Surgical is a must have to fight Punishing Fire and sticking Mentor when Opp. is tapped out is key. I'll see if I get to include 1-2 Entreat in the SB but currently I'm running good without them as you said Jund and Shardless are on the decline.(for now)

Thread Information