Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lower entry fee (min $6)

34 68.00%
  • Higher entry fee (max $20)

12 24.00%
  • I want the format to be Swiss.

22 44.00%
  • I want the format to be double elimination but capped.

7 14.00%
  • I want the format to be double elimination and open to anyone.

17 34.00%
  • I want top eight decklists distributed beforehand.

13 26.00%
  • I want top eight decklists to remain a secret until after.

21 42.00%
  • I think the last event had good timing.

26 52.00%
  • I think the last event took too long.

4 8.00%
  • I would consider joining the next event.

49 98.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll! Source Tournament #2

Re: Poll! Source Tournament #2

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    They "recently" updated the client, and from what I hear it should be much easier to get started on. Even going so far as to install the card files for you.
    Oh, no problems with the client, but the random players in there are (to say the very least and to be rather polite) discourteous and I run into a common habit of people trying to get one over me with their rules calls.

How about keeping the tournament free, but accept donations? The thing is, more people will join if it is free, which means more people will appriciate what you are doing and everyone will find out what a bunch of nice guys this forum has. :D More people, more donations, higher price pool.. and if the winner gets only a 20$ card, well, at least you could play your favorite format vs decent and friendly opponents.

While I liked the double elimination format, a big tournament would probably have to be done in swiss..

Anyway, past season all matches I player were done in an extremely friendly atmosphere. Timezones are indeed a PIA, but I played with ppl in -9, -6 as well as +6. Thankfully everyone was quite flexible about this.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by crush View Post
    How about keeping the tournament free, but accept donations? The thing is, more people will join if it is free, which means more people will appriciate what you are doing and everyone will find out what a bunch of nice guys this forum has. :D More people, more donations, higher price pool.. and if the winner gets only a 20$ card, well, at least you could play your favorite format vs decent and friendly opponents.
    The issue for this is what about post costs? I live halfway around the world to most people, so it would not be the cheapest thing in the world to post me something. I am sure the same can be said about others.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I would suggest the following take it or leave it:
    -maximum 10 dollar entree fee, after all its a fun tournament and its tough to do a REL competitive tournament on cockatrice. for example communication on it is much harder...
    -swiss+1 rounds and cut to top 8
    -roundlength: one week. new rounds posted every wednesday, so that you can plan for the weekend. No finished match within a week is a draw or a loss for the player who is to be blamed for it.
    -no intentional draws
    -clear rule to what happens when cockatrice crashes ;)

Prizes:
    -each player pays the entry fee either in dollars to jelly or converted in euros to a european coordinator thru paypal.
    -35 % winner,25 % runner-up and so on...
    -each of the top8 finishers picks what magic related article they want to have either on amazon, ebay, mkm... A detailed list with details of the order must be sent to jelly (us and worldwide) and the european coordinator (europe) who will buy the chosen prize. Players may choose more expensive articles as prizes and pay the difference.
    -players have to choose prizes within three weeks after the tournament is completed.

-thru this shipping cost is reduced and every player gets what they want. The european coordinator is not necessary but its easier to handle the european players. namely the currency and to prevent loss of money thru conversion rates.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Hoooly fucking shit has work been hell.

Anyway, the poll's worked out great so far, and I'm going to leave the it open for a little while longer until I post the OP for Tournament #2 (working title "2 Fast 2 Jelly"). It's going to depend on work and how soon my boss leaves, but I'm aiming to have the OP written and posted for this coming Sunday/Monday. Sign-ups will last one week, and round one will begin shortly thereafter. Until then, while I have made some decisions already, feel free to continue providing input. I'll post a link when sign-ups start.

Quote Originally Posted by crush View Post
    Tried that last time. It's how I ended up shelling out 100%. :V

Not complaining. It was what I expected. But it does serve as evidence that such a system can't work.

Quote Originally Posted by decan View Post
    -clear rule to what happens when cockatrice crashes ;)
    This is definitely something I've been coming up with "solutions" for ever since that nightmare. I'll have something concrete by the time the event starts.

Oct 2013
    Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I was thinking rather than swiss or bracket play, there could just be league play. That way you can make a season an arbitrary number of rounds based on how much the community wants to play, then have top 4 or top 8 play a finals with seating based on record. As you've said in the beginning, it isn't really prizes, but just getting to play high quality games against other Sourcers. This way everybody gets to enjoy the most games, there's still a spirit of competition late in the tournament, and it fits well within the scheduling format used before. I feel a 9 round league, everybody get's their schedule of opponents, players could skip ahead if convenient, but at the end of each round, that round's games need to be posted. In a worse case where a game is delayed, a catch up isn't out of the questions, since the rest of the players could proceed.

Look forward to the next one, however the tournament structure ends up.
    A league could be really cool. Could even do a $5-10 buy in and assuming 9 rounds pay and do a Top 8 or allot prizes by record.

Either way, I'm eager to jump in to whatever is offered. I just got Cockatrice two weeks ago so still stumbling around w it a bit.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

League play would offer an identical experience to Swiss, without the round starting requirements, making scheduling and unfinished rounds much, much easier. It also has the benefit of keeping the tournament a closer contest even in the later rounds, especially with 8 playoff offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Tried that last time. It's how I ended up shelling out 100%. :V

Not complaining. It was what I expected. But it does serve as evidence that such a system can't work.
    I never implied the prices to be fixed, my idea was that all proceeding go into the price pool. :)

If the tournament will end up being in double elimination format, there could be a 10$ fee for playing in the loosers bracket. Something like, the tournament is free for everyone, but after loosing a match you need to pay a 10$ buy-in to be listed in the looser's bracket.

Could be too much work to manage, but anyway.. my biggest concern is that a big tournament with great prices could spoil the friendly sprit we had in the 1st edition.

Keep on rocking :)

Aug 2009
    Finland

So this is not going to be on mtgo? Sad :( I would definitely join if on mtgo.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by yugular View Post
    So this is not going to be on mtgo? Sad :( I would definitely join if on mtgo.
    Most people like playing a perfect list without consideration for price, or the ability to play real rogue lists with lots of Legends cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Most people like playing a perfect list without consideration for price, or the ability to play real rogue lists with lots of Legends cards.
    #shotsfired

On a serious note, Cockatrice being free makes a world of a difference in terms of accessibility and therefore overall participation. In fact, this event was triggered by suggestions made during the mass exodus from MTGO.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

BTW, MTGO prices still going downhill. I'd have sold out if I didn't only buy in a few months ago.

Oct 2013
    Georgia

F mtgo....

Aug 2009
    Finland

#shotsfired

On a serious note, Cockatrice being free makes a world of a difference in terms of accessibility and therefore overall participation. In fact, this event was triggered by suggestions made during the mass exodus from MTGO.
    I understand that not all people have mtgo collection and that cockatrice is cheaper. I would personally prefer mtgo however. Well maybe in the future...

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Also, people on MAC would be fucked if only on MTGO.

Aug 2009
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Also, people on MAC would be fucked if only on MTGO.
    I have played mtgo with mac always.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

"Bureaucratic engines running at full, Captain!"
    "Good! Plot a course for maximum tedium."

So, for my own benefit, I try to complete as many personal tasks as I can while I'm at work. However, the boss is in town and progress has slowed to a crawl. I'm going to work on it some tonight when I get home. If I don't manage to get sign-ups posted tonight, the thread will definitely go up tomorrow at the very least.

Would totally want to join, even though if no-one know me
    Another place the tournament could be held on is Untap.in (or V2). Its basically like cockatrice, but browser-based, and requires no downloads.

Thread Information