Thread: Sell or hold modern legal cards?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Sell or hold modern legal cards?

I am at a crossroads here. I havent played legacy in over a year. I have never played standard or modern and dont ever intend to. I realize now that wotc had made it evident they will just reprint any card thats not on the reseve list until its value is obliterated such as with fetchlands. Should i sell all cards that can be reprinted and buy more eternal cards like workshops bazaars and beta duals or just hold the modern cards because the dip in price is temporary?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Sell or hold modern legal cards?

I always assumed the last line in your signature was intended as a slight against hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I havent played legacy in over a year.

Should I... buy more eternal cards... ?
    I guess I was wrong?

Also, my advice is to sell the cards you won't use and buy the ones you will.
    Obviously selling while the price is high if possible.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

This is not a finance forum.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I am at a crossroads here. I havent played legacy in over a year. I have never played standard or modern and dont ever intend to. I realize now that wotc had made it evident they will just reprint any card thats not on the reseve list until its value is obliterated such as with fetchlands. Should i sell all cards that can be reprinted and buy more eternal cards like workshops bazaars and beta duals or just hold the modern cards because the dip in price is temporary?
    If you're worried about the value of your cards, pay attention to the secondary market. If you're not going to pay attention and just sit on them, your collection will still likely grow over time, but if you are more aware of the market trends you can sell when high and maximize your profit. Wizards is haunted by the Reserved List every day, so they're aware to attempt to keep the market value in mind whenever a high-impact reprint comes along. Obviously Expeditions are a result of that, but it's also why a vanilla creature like Tarmogoyf is Mythic-rare worthy. Felidar Sovereign is only a $10 casual card, so reprinting it at rare doesn't affect the market too much. Casual players aren't nearly as impacted or concerned by market prices as competitive players (I once traded a Thoughtseize in Lorwyn Standard for a pile of junk rares; not to rip the guy off, but because he didn't care and didn't think it was worth a $20 price tag), and $10 is pretty much a ceiling for that kind of card anyway. But they know that printing Tarmogoyf anywhere less than Mythic would tank the card and that's something they're not comfortable doing. They fucked up with Chronicles and they've been walking that tightrope ever since.

Your worry isn't without merit though, we've seen with Dragonmaster Outcast and Felidar Sovereign that non-planeswalker mythics will be reprinted more frequently. Maro admitted that in his article yesterday, stating that the end of the Core Set means more reprints shoehorned into Standard sets. Obviously they have Limited and Standard environments to consider, as well as flavor and mechanical concerns for that particular set (this is probably the big one). When we find out what the next block is after BFZ and what the theme is, look at what cards would fit in to that theme and sell early. Other people will have a similar idea and the price might dip slightly, but that's pennies compared to the potential drop if a reprint is actually confirmed. For example, Snapcaster won't be reprinted until either "Return to Innistrad" or a similar graveyard-themed set (or whatever "Masters" set comes out next.

Sell your KOTRs now. Sell your enemy fetchlands in 6 months. Sell Mythics 3 years after they rotate out of Standard. This probably applies for rare staples too like Abrupt Decay. Some cards I think are safe, Standard-reprint wise: Liliana, Grove, Canopy, Blood Moon/Magus, Thoughtseize.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Sell stuff that sees 0 play in Legacy.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I woul sell them they could drop, but if they could keep the value or even raise the price, I'd definitely keep them.

Thread Information