Thread: Can I have 10,000 cards in my deck and then sideboard down to 60?

Can I have 10,000 cards in my deck and then sideboard down to 60?

Can I have 10,000 cards in my deck in a competition, and then play with the best 60 ones for game 2 and 3.

It's a bit of a theoretical question, but I'm thunking that if I did this I would lose 100% of game ones, but probably win 90% of games 2 and 3.

Against Omnitell I could play 4 REBs, 4 Pyros, 4 Clique, 4 Venser

Against 12post I could play 4 waste, 4 ports, 4 ghost quarter, 4 loam

In reality I am thinking about playing with a 65 card miracles deck, so that I have 5 more cards to draw from after sideboarding.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Re: Can I have 10,000 cards in my deck and then sideboard down to 60?

Sideboard can only be 15 cards, at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by autonom View Post
    Can I have 10,000 cards in my deck in a competition
    Tournament rules state you have to be able to shuffle your deck without assistance, so that would probably be grounds for a DQ or something.

Also, at all times your deck must be at least 60 cards and your sideboard must be at most 15 cards.

Hence, you technically can have a 65-card deck, but it's not a good idea.

Aha, so even in game 2 I would need to have 65 cards in my deck to not have more than 15 in my sideboard. Then I understand why no one is playing with 65 cards. Thank you for explaining

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by luckme10 View Post
    Maximum of 15. You can have 15 to start the match and then 10 cards in your sideboard for game 2 and then 0 cards in your sideboard for game 3.

Quote Originally Posted by luckme10 View Post
    Barcode already pointed out it's max 15, resolving spells like Burning Wish will usually make the sideboard smaller. (I don't know off the top of my head whether you're required to present the same number

The rules also vary by format. Back in the days of ante there was some idle chat about some kind of single elimination 'winner takes the cards' limited format. You might get into a 'giant sideboard' scenario with that kind of approach. (Though I'd expect a lot of people to drop after winning 2-3 rounds just to keep the cards.)

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    Tournament rules state you have to be able to shuffle your deck without assistance...
    This makes me question the banning of Chaos Orb on the basis of it being a dexterity issue.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Maximum of 15. You can have 15 to start the match and then 10 cards in your sideboard for game 2 and then 0 cards in your sideboard for game 3.
    Do you not need to replace a card from your main deck when you sideboard out a card? For some reason, I thought you had to remove a card to put one in.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    Do you not need to replace a card from your main deck when you sideboard out a card? For some reason, I thought you had to remove a card to put one in.
    That's how it used to be. They changed the rule back with the legend change. Now your sideboard only needs to be up to 15 cards.

Here's the announcement
    http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/mag...y/feature/248e

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    That's how it used to be. They changed the rule back with the legend change. Now your sideboard only needs to be up to 15 cards.

Here's the announcement
    http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/mag...y/feature/248e
    Ah interesting and good to know - ty!

Thread Information