Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enchantress/Constellation

Re: Enchantress/Constellation

I’ve also been playing an enchantress deck to some decent success in my local stores. It’s strategically quite a bit different from the one here. List now, explanation below:

enBANTments:

4 Kruphix's Insight
    3 Eidolon of Blossoms
    4 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    4 Myth Realized

4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Journey to Nowhere
    1 Stasis Snare
    2 Oblivion Ring

4 Spreading Seas

1 Runed Halo
    1 Nevermore
    1 Rest in Peace

4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Fertile Ground
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Horizon Canopy
    3 Temple Garden
    2 Razorverge Thicket
    2 Plains
    2 Forest
    1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    1 Breeding Pool

Sideboard
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Monastery Siege
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Choke
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Suppression Field
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Stony Silence

My version moves away from the arbor elf-based acceleration plan and plays a fairer game, centered around the idea that kruphix’s insight can be a completely broken card. It plays out like a midrange deck that out-cards midrange and control, while having silver bullets for aggro (ghostly prison) and combo (nevermore/runed halo/rest in peace/leyline). In general, the deck kills with a bunch of sigil angels, but you get occasional double myth realized draws where you just tempo out the opponent.

The version I have now is definitely tooled more toward fair decks and burn (most of what I play against), but because of the flexibility of kruphix’s insight, the shell can easily be tuned to have good game against the unfair decks. (Also, with so many unfair decks being creature decks, there’s a lot of overlap in answers to fair/unfair decks.)

General game plan versus fair decks:
    Turns 1, 2: use mana enchantments to make more than 1 “land drop” per turn, maybe sneaking a myth realized into play
    Turns 3, 4: clean up whatever opponent has been doing (ghostly prison, o-ring effect, spreading seas etc.) and/or resolve kruphix’s insight
    Turns 4, 5: Get a win condition (sigil, eidolon) into play or case kruphix’s insight
    After turn 5: Hopefully you’ve pretty much won by this point

Versus unfair decks:
    Mulligan to backbreaking hate cards if possible. If not, hope for lots of spreading seas.

The deck is incredible against midrange (tested mostly against jund, junk, and grixis) and fine versus zoo/affinity/elves (ghostly prison, plenty of 2-drop removal spells). My version crushes burn out of the sideboard, has game versus scapeshift, junk company, and infect, and pretty much dies to tron and amulet.

Because so much of the deck’s manabase is tied up in enchantments (keeping kruphix’s insight awesome), you need to mulligan more than you would with an average modern deck. I’m beginning to think that the nykthos is too greedy and should just be a plains.

Compared with the original deck in this thread, this version isn’t as top-end powerful (no emrakul…) and not as explosive, but dodges removal and has absurd card advantage engines built in, so I’d imagine I’m worse versus unfair decks and better against fair ones.

I’m always testing and tweaking this deck and would love to hear others’ thoughts on it.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by runn3runn3r View Post
    I’ve also been playing an enchantress deck to some decent success in my local stores. It’s strategically quite a bit different from the one here. List now, explanation below:

enBANTments:

4 Kruphix's Insight
    3 Eidolon of Blossoms
    4 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    4 Myth Realized

4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Journey to Nowhere
    1 Stasis Snare
    2 Oblivion Ring

4 Spreading Seas

1 Runed Halo
    1 Nevermore
    1 Rest in Peace

4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Fertile Ground
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Horizon Canopy
    3 Temple Garden
    2 Razorverge Thicket
    2 Plains
    2 Forest
    1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    1 Breeding Pool

Sideboard
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Monastery Siege
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Choke
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Suppression Field
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Stony Silence

My version moves away from the arbor elf-based acceleration plan and plays a fairer game...
    I like your take. I definitely think that you can effectively lean toward being more midrange with an Enchantress shell and it does exactly what you've stated; it out values other fair decks with card draw. Personally, I'm really high on black, particularly for Doomwake Giant. I know I've raved about it in many of my prior posts, but until you've tried out the card, I don't think you can fully understand how powerful it actually is in the format. If you go black, you can also use Seal of Doom, which is absurd if you're on the Starfield of Nyx plan. I think the theoretical risk of playing a more midrange based strategy with Enchantress is that you open yourself up to being hated out post-board if people are actually packing things like Back to Nature or Ray of Revelation. You're still vulnerable to those if you're on the combo plan (in fact, they can likely be even more devastating), but you have the upshot of just being able to go faster and win before those cards are drawn. In the larger meta, that isn't really an issue presently, but if the Enchantress archetype becomes more popular, there is a lot of hate out there to contend with.

The thing that I like the most about your list is the ability to effectively utilize Suppression Field; I'd love to run it myself, but it really hampers your ability to run fetchlands. The ability to use fetches in conjunction with Courser of Kruphix to filter your draws has been something that I just value too much to give up running fetches. I also happen to believe in the relevance of deck-thinning a bit more than most players, but particularly in critical mass type decks (also, the margin of life-loss vs the marginal benefit of deck-thinning is negated by Courser's life-gain).

Starfield is a really powerful card and seems like the tandem win-con alongside Sigil for a midrange variant. I use a Starfield package in my board, as the combo versions are just too fast for Starfield to do much (and if you're behind by the time you're casting it, it's unlikely to be enough to recover).

Moving away from runn3runn3r's list...

Per some suggestions from a prior post, I tried a Bant version that eschewed Verduran Enchantress for Monastery Siege. I also opted to run x2 Sphinx's Tutelage in the deck as the primary win-con. It was fun, and had the upshot of just being an engine deck that wins by continuing to run, but it was durdly to the max and I often found myself drawing so many cards and making so much mana that Emrakul was still easy to cast. I actually like Emrakul in conjunction with Tutelage, as you can discard Emrakul to shuffle your graveyard back into your library to continue drawing and deck your opponent, which actually came up as a necessity more than once (reminder the Eidolon of Blossoms trigger is mandatory). For the time being, I've opted for the somewhat more straight-forward Abzan build. Similar to how Splinter Twin plays like a tempo deck that has an "oops, I win" combo, my enchantress builds function like an Abzan/Jund midrange deck with a 15/15 flying, annihilating, extra turn granting "oops, I win" combo. The planeswalkers, Garruk Wildspeaker in particular, also offer an alternate angle of attack that can't be readily answered by enchantment hate.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Here's another version of an Enchantress deck that I've been testing. It's a lot of fun and attacks from a different angle. It's less explosive, but hinges a bit less on individual cards.

EnBantress Mill
    CREATURES
    3 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Eidolon of Blossoms
    4 Herald of the Pantheon
    2 Thassa's Devourer
    SPELLS
    2 Abundant Growth
    1 Copy Enchantment
    1 Detention Sphere
    3 Fertile Ground
    2 Ghostly Prison
    2 Journey to Nowhere
    3 Monastery Siege
    1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    3 Sphinx's Tutelage
    3 Spreading Seas
    1 Starfield of Nyx
    1 Kruphix's Insight
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    LAND
    3 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    3 Breeding Pool
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    3 Temple Garden
    4 Windswept Heath

It's a mill deck. Sphinx's Tutelage is actually pretty nuts. Thassa's Devourer is adorably janky, but surprisingly good, as 6 toughness makes it a great blocker and its mill trigger really does work well toward your win-con. The only thing that really makes me hesitant about playing this particular build is that mill isn't a viable win-con against Tron or any deck that happens to be packing an Eldrazi titan. You can run Rest in Peace or something in the board and Sigil of the Empty Throne gives you an alternate means of winning, but it's not very reliable in the Tron matchup (Ugin, the Spirit Dragon just wrecks you). Tron aside, you have a chance against most decks. I wanted to run Suppression Field, but I don't think you can run a 3 color mana base without fetchlands, and you really do want to be able to fetch to shuffle away lands on the top of your library (revealed by Courser of Kruphix) so you can keep chaining your enchantments. I can't decide if Arbor Elf has a place in this version. The mana acceleration it offers would be welcome, but this deck really benefits from running so lean on non-enchantments, I don't really want to dilute the deck.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

With the release of Oath of the Gatewatch and the banning of Splinter Twin and Summer Bloom, I've updated my Abzan Constellation list (Abzan is the version I've been happiest with).

Abzan Constellation
    CREATURES
    4 Arbor Elf
    3 Brain Maggot
    2 Courser of Kruphix -cut 1
    2 Doomwake Giant
    4 Eidolon of Blossoms
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Herald of the Pantheon
    3 Verduran Enchantress -cut 1
    SPELLS
    3 Fertile Ground
    2 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Ghostly Prison -cut 1
    1 Oath of Gideon +added 1
    3 Oath of Nissa +added 3
    1 Overgrowth -cut 1
    1 Quarantine Field
    1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    LAND
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    3 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Temple Garden
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard
    1 Agent of Erebos
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Choke
    1 Ghostly Prison
    1 Greater Auramancy
    1 Idyllic Tutor
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Mark of Asylum
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Seal of Doom
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Starfield of Nyx
    2 Stony Silence
    1 Worship

Changes/Explanation:
    Oath of Nissa is a huge boon to this deck. It gives us another relevant turn 1 play and a cheap enchantment that generates value. It can dig for of our engine pieces, a fatty/win-con, Nykthos, or Garruk. It's also a 1cmc enchantment which is what the deck absolutely wants. To fit the 3 copies of Oath of Nissa I trimmed a Courser of Kruphix, a Verduran Enchantress, and an Overgrowth. The Oaths serve as virtual copies of the creatures and the ability to dig for Arbor Elf or Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx alleviated the desire for a second Overgrowth.

Oath of Gideon took the place of a Ghostly Prison. While Prison was/is great, preventing the Splinter Twin combo isn't a worry anymore. Oath of Gideon provides chump blockers and fills a similar role to Prison, as it buys you time while being an enchantment. The other relevant part of Oath of Gideon is that it allows Garruk Wildspeaker to immediately hit his ultimate and serve as a discounted Overrun. This makes Garruk a more reliable win-con. Starts like Elf, into random creature, into Oath of Gideon (+2 bodies), into Garruk ultimate for the win are completely within the realm of possibilities.

The sideboard has also been updated, but is far from set. I added another Stony Silence, as I anticipate an uptick in Tron and Affinity decks. A lot of the other inclusions are based on bringing in a Starfield of Nyx package, but I've been doubting whether that's really worth it. There are so many really powerful enchantments that it might just be better to run 1 or 2 copies of all the best hosers and then an Idyllic Tutor to bring in with the appropriate silver bullet. That said, multiple Oath of Nissa interact nicely with Starfield; their legendary status allows you to return a 2nd copy to play, get its trigger (along with any constellation triggers), and put the card back into the graveyard for a repeat the following turn.

Would not Daxo's torment not be a good option as a finished in junk builds?
    5/5 hasty flier, seems OK to me.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by moseby View Post
    Would not Daxo's torment not be a good option as a finished in junk builds?
    5/5 hasty flier, seems OK to me.
    Daxos's Torment is not Modern legal, as it appears only in the Commander 2015 product.

Hi,

I have moved a little more to a tooth & nail devotion than my previous tooth & nail enchantress. I just have to be more explosive and try to goldfish game 1. I'm not sure if it is more fun but at least it wins more games in this meta. Here is my deck list at the moment:

15 Forest
    4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    1 Kessig Wolf Run

4 Arbor Elf
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Oath of Nissa
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Fertile Ground
    2 Strangleroot Geist

3 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Eidolon of Blossoms
    4 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Tooth and Nail
    2 Hornet Queen
    1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Starngleroot Geist is purely against fast aggro (especially aggro eldrazi). It is also great at making devotion. In the sideboard are then more or less traditional enchantress cards and also Gut shots. Garruk -> hornet queen -> garruk's overrun is just great!

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

4 Arbor Elf
    1 Nyx-Fleece Ram
    4 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Eidolon of Blossoms

4 Utopia Sprawl
    3 Fertile Ground
    1 Greater Auramancy
    4 Ghostly Prison
    2 Idyllic Tutor
    2 Journey to Nowhere
    1 Oblivion Ring
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    2 Sphere of Safety
    1 Starfield of Nyx

6 Forest
    4 Plains
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Temple Garden
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
    2 Runed Halo
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Nevermore
    2 Stony Silence
    1 Choke
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Sphere of Safety
    1 Open the Vaults

This is what I've been trying in my spare time. Seems to run fairly well, but I'd like play some tournaments first with it to try it out. I've been tinkering around with it and this is my current iteration. The first couple attempts proved to be too slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

It has been a while since I updated this thread. I've still been playing around with the Constellation deck. Here's my current list:

Constellation
    CREATURES
    4 Arbor Elf
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    3 Doomwake Giant
    4 Eidolon of Blossoms
    4 Herald of the Pantheon
    2 Verduran Enchantress
    SPELLS
    4 Fertile Ground
    2 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Ghostly Prison
    1 Mana Bloom
    2 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    1 Oath of Gideon
    1 Oath of Liliana
    4 Oath of Nissa
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    LAND
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Temple Garden
    1 Stomping Ground
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard
    1 Agent of Erebos
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Choke
    1 Ghostly Prison
    1 Greater Auramancy
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Mark of Asylum
    1 Quarantine Field
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Stony Silence
    1 Worship

The main change is the addition of Nahiri, the Harbinger. The red splash is essentially free, as Fertile Ground, Utopia Sprawl, Oath of Nissa, Mana Bloom, and a single Stomping Ground make Nahiri more than readily castable. She adds a bit of removal to the deck that was otherwise lacking and provides a solid win condition with Emrakul. I've also included an Oath of Liliana as an additional piece of removal that works to protect your planeswalkers and can provide bodies that serve as a realistic win condition when paired with Garruk Wildspeaker's ultimate.

One more quick note about Nahiri, she's one of the last cards you want to see across the table, as her -2 can basically exile all of your relevant cards.

I've added a 3rd Doomwake Giant, as the card continues to impress me and having multiples in play presents a nearly unbeatable board position against most creature-based strategies.

The single Mana Bloom adds a lot of staying power to the deck. It ramps your mana, fixes your colors, and at best provides an enchantment with a net cost of zero that gets all your constellation triggers to fire.

Molting Skin is the next card I'd like to try to squeeze into the deck or sideboard. It seems good against decks that are heavy on removal as a way to protect your draw engine and also serves as a powerful constellation enabler as an enchantment that you can potentially cast multiple times each turn for as little as a single green mana.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

I'm going to try out a change of -1 Temple Garden, -1 Sigil of the Empty Throne for +1 Stomping Ground, +1 Assemble the Legion. Then I'm gonna try and squeeze a couple Blood Moon into the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Hi all,

I like the concept and would like to suggest some ideas.

About choosing color which colors play:

- Green is obvious.
    - Red can offer only Blood Moon (I don't see anything else).
    - Black is, for me, obvious too and should be more exploited.
    - White is interesting for hates.
    - Blue can offer an interesting card: Riptide Chimera to have a quick flying creature turn 2 and get back cards like Oath cards.

Constellation deck means to me a control deck and so should maximize control card.

I suggest something like this:
    Constellation
    SPELLS
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Oath of Liliana (we don't want any creature from opponent's field)
    4 Seal of Doom
    4 Abundant Growth (too powerful card)
    CREATURES
    4 Riptide Chimera ("combo" with the deck)
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    3 Doomwake Giant
    4 Herald of the Pantheon
    3 Grim Guardian (idea of kill and good blocker)
    1 Pharika, God of Affliction (to manage swarm)
    1 Doran, the Siege Tower (good with many constellation)
    4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
    2 Worship (why not MD ?)
    LAND
    20 lands

About your list:
    - I personaly don't like Enchantress like Eidolon or Verduran (or maybe x1 Eidolon), totally useless in battle, too weak, dead too easily, ...
    - 14 accelerators is too much and so you are lack of control cards.
    - Nahiri: if you add this kill that means for me you don't have a list good enough to win with constellation theme.

What do you think about it ?

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Dihensoeur View Post
    Hi all,

I like the concept and would like to suggest some ideas.

About choosing color which colors play:

- Green is obvious.
    - Red can offer only Blood Moon (I don't see anything else).
    - Black is, for me, obvious too and should be more exploited.
    - White is interesting for hates.
    - Blue can offer an interesting card: Riptide Chimera to have a quick flying creature turn 2 and get back cards like Oath cards.

Constellation deck means to me a control deck and so should maximize control card.

I suggest something like this:
    Constellation
    SPELLS
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Oath of Liliana (we don't want any creature from opponent's field)
    4 Seal of Doom
    4 Abundant Growth (too powerful card)
    CREATURES
    4 Riptide Chimera ("combo" with the deck)
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    3 Doomwake Giant
    4 Herald of the Pantheon
    3 Grim Guardian (idea of kill and good blocker)
    1 Pharika, God of Affliction (to manage swarm)
    1 Doran, the Siege Tower (good with many constellation)
    4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
    2 Worship (why not MD ?)
    LAND
    20 lands

About your list:
    - I personaly don't like Enchantress like Eidolon or Verduran (or maybe x1 Eidolon), totally useless in battle, too weak, dead too easily, ...
    - 14 accelerators is too much and so you are lack of control cards.
    - Nahiri: if you add this kill that means for me you don't have a list good enough to win with constellation theme.

What do you think about it ?
    I think there are a lot different ways to go about building the Constellation deck. You can build it to be midrange, combo, control, or a hybrid thereof. Riptide Chimera is an interesting card for the more midrange style, as it beats down pretty effectively and is large enough to survive Lightning Bolt. I'm not a huge fan of Abundant Growth, as the color fixing isn't as important as mana ramp, at least in the builds I've tried. I think if you're going to play blue, especially if you're including Riptide Chimera, you should be running Spreading Seas, as it's potent disruption against a number of decks and is a value enchantment regardless. Personally, I like the inclusion of planeswalkers, as it provides another angle of attack from the deck and is facilitated by Oath of Nissa, which is one of the more powerful cards you can be playing in Constellation. I have to disagree about my list having too many accelerators and too little control. While I'd like to have more control elements, all the cheap acceleration, combined with the Eidolons/Enchantresses allows the deck to function well enough, as you can dig to the removal you have. Nahiri adds to the removal and being able to ramp mana quickly and have the ability to play multiple spells per turn makes Doomwake Giant an incredibly powerful source of board control. I'm not a huge fan of Oath of Liliana if you're not playing planeswalkers and Seal of Doom has enough of a targeting restriction that I don't like running more than 1 in the main. I think the inclusion of both Oath and Seal are more justifiable if you're playing Starfield of Nyx, as you get recursive value and it turns the Legendary status of the Oaths into an upgrade. If you have Blue and White in your list, I find it hard not to justify the inclusion of at least 1 Detention Sphere.

One last note about the consideration of Red: Blood Moon is by far the most powerful draw toward red, but it definitely puts deckbuilding constraints on you, as you have to include a higher number of basic lands and/or cards like Abundant Growth, Fertile Ground, and Mana Bloom. I think Chained to the Rocks is the other draw to Red, despite being a White card, but that only adds further constraint on your mana base, as you now need to include a sufficient number of Mountains, which can be hard outside of relying on Blood Moon to create a few.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Abundant Growth, as the color fixing isn't as important as mana ramp, at least in the builds I've tried.
    It's more to draw for one mana than fixing color.

I think if you're going to play blue, especially if you're including Riptide Chimera, you should be running Spreading Seas, as it's potent disruption against a number of decks and is a value enchantment regardless.
    Good idea, keeping the draw engine and add more effect on the opponent.

Personally, I like the inclusion of planeswalkers, as it provides another angle of attack from the deck and is facilitated by Oath of Nissa, which is one of the more powerful cards you can be playing in Constellation.
    Becareful with Oath of Nissa, you can't get non-creature enchantment.

I'm not a huge fan of Oath of Liliana if you're not playing planeswalkers
    The best utility of Oath of Liliana is to kill one creature. But ok if you're not fan.
    The goal is to have control enchantment cards.

Starfield of Nyx can be one slot to test yes.

I don't like cards like Detention Sphere/Oblivion Ring/... because it's your opponent that choose when he get back the exiled card (except for tokens), so it's too dangerous. Maybe it's ok in Modern format (but I don't think so), but I know from Legacy format that is not good at all.

One last note about the consideration of Red: Blood Moon is by far the most powerful draw toward red, but it definitely puts deckbuilding constraints on you, as you have to include a higher number of basic lands and/or cards like Abundant Growth, Fertile Ground, and Mana Bloom. I think Chained to the Rocks is the other draw to Red, despite being a White card, but that only adds further constraint on your mana base, as you now need to include a sufficient number of Mountains, which can be hard outside of relying on Blood Moon to create a few.
    Agree.

It's ok if you prefer ramp PW way. It was just to suggest another Constellation way.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

In light of the recent comments above, I threw together a Sultai version of Constellation that plays more of a midrange game. While it still has a draw engine, the deck is much less combo oriented. It's more about establishing board presence and just crushing other fair decks through card advantage.

Sultai Constellation
    CREATURES
    4 Arbor Elf
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    3 Doomwake Giant
    3 Eidolon of Blossoms
    3 Grim Gaurdian
    4 Herald of the Pantheon
    3 Riptide Chimera
    SPELLS
    2 Abundant Growth
    1 Copy Enchantment
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Kiora, Master of the Depths
    2 Oath of Liliana
    3 Oath of Nissa
    4 Spreading Seas
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    LAND
    3 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    3 Breeding Pool
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    3 Overgrown Tomb
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Many of the less fair decks in the format (e.g. Affinity and Infect) have few ways to overcome a Doomwake Giant. Oath of Liliana feels pretty good alongside the Giant, as you can stack the triggers to wipe the board of smaller things and let the Oath cleanup a straggling fatty.

Spreading Seas is an all star in this deck, at times gaining you life, draining your opponent, disrupting their mana, and drawing you multiple cards, all for a single mana.

Arbor Elf provides such potent acceleration with Utopia Sprawl that I felt behooved to include it. But even without Sprawl, the Elf facilitates casting the decks 3 drops on turn 2 or enables the play of a turn 2 Herald of the Pantheon into Spreading Seas.

Oath of Nissa is a good curve filler and is cheap enchantment cantrip. The ability to dig for Doomwake Giant or Nykthos is great. The cards will rarely, if ever, totally miss. The specific card you end up grabbing isn't as relevant as the fact that you've simply drawn an additional card and triggered Constellation. Garruk Wildspeaker is included as a possible grab that provides a diversified win condition and acts as a sort of "super Arbor Elf" by untapping enchanted lands and Nykthos. Kiora, Master of the Depths is also thrown into the mix as another source for untapping an Arbor Elf along alongside a land. She can also dig for your creatures/lands and her ultimate is game winning. While infrequent, Kiora actually leads to the most powerful start the deck can have of turn 1 Forest + Arbor Elf, turn 2 Forest, Utopia Sprawl, tap/untap with Elf, cast Kiora, untap Elf and enchanted land, generate an additional 4 mana, which can then cast any number of additional things (extra points for casting Garruk, untapping your lands and utilizing the 3 additional mana).

Copy Enchantment is a spicy inclusion. It essentially acts as a discounted copy of one of your value pieces. Copying a Doomwake Giant and having ample mana left up all but ensures that you'll wipe your opponent's board. Adding a second Eidolon of Blossoms will draw you an obscene amount of cards. Even copying a Grim Guardian is a solid defensive play that turns into your condition once you've stabilized. Perhaps the greatest thing about Copy Enchantment though, is that you can pick it up with Riptide Chimera to replay/reset it as needed.

Possible enchantment sideboard options:
    Agent of Erebos - Graveyard hate attached to a body that happens to be an enchantment. It's not the most efficient at what it does, but the added synergy make it a strong consideration. Agent is rather good against opposing Tarmogoyfs, which tends to be a somewhat problematic card, as it essentially gets a free +1/+1 against the Constellation deck by virtue of the abundance of enchantments.
    Brain Maggot - Disruption against combo decks. It may be worthy of maindeck inclusion, but I couldn't think of what it would edge out.
    Choke - Powerful hoser, but definitely metagame dependent (currently, there aren't many decks running an abundance of Islands, save for Merfolk, but between their non-Islands and Aether Vial, Choke doesn't lock them out). Note that there is some potential self-inflicted harm deployment of Choke, but Arbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl let you work through it.
    Ground Seal - Graveyard hate that is limited in its applications, as it doesn't completely nullify graveyard strategies. It's most useful against Snapcaster Mage decks. The fact that it's a cantrip in and of itself is a nice bonus.
    Leyline of the Void - Possibly your best option for graveyard hate.
    Monastery Siege - Taxes opposing removal or can provide yet another source of card draw/filtering.
    Reality Acid - At the risk of being too cute, this acts as a recursive pseudo Vindicate when combined with Riptide Chimera.
    Seal of Doom - Additional removal; relegated to the board due to targeting restrictions.
    Seal of Primordium - Artifact/Enchantment removal.
    Underworld Connections - It might be overkill, but it provides a less vulnerable source of card advantage for attrition matchups and can be activated multiple times per turn cycle with Arbor Elf.
    Last edited by CaptainTwiddle; 10-02-2016 at 12:50 PM.

I hope I wasn't wrong about my suggestions :) .
    I would like to heard your tests results.

About Gravehate, the best still Rest in peace, is it possible to have it in sideboard with a white ravland ?

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Dihensoeur View Post
    I hope I wasn't wrong about my suggestions :) .
    I would like to heard your tests results.

About Gravehate, the best still Rest in peace, is it possible to have it in sideboard with a white ravland ?
    I'm hoping to take the Sultai list to a legit Modern event soon. I was really high on my prior GWBr list with Nahiri, but I've been converted to the Sultai brew for the time being; it's just leaner and less fancy, with better disruption and removal. I'll definitely write a report once I run this through a real event.

I'm strongly considering a white splash, just for sideboard cards. Rest in Peace and Stony Silence are just too good to ignore, not to mention things like Greater Auramancy and Mark of Asylum (Anger of the Gods was a real nightmare for me with other versions of this deck, as you play so much to the board). I think you can run a single Temple Garden in the main without much negative effect. I'd likely either trim a basic Forest or an Overgrown Tomb to make room for it.

Thread Information