Thread: Firestorm Reanimator

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Griseldindon (RB Reanimator)

So brewmaster and MTGTheSource patron LeJay was featured on Star City Games the other day with a blazing fast BR Reanimator list. It bears lots of similarities to Tin Fins and Burning Reanimator, but without the storm kill--opting for a more "jam a guy and go" plan, similar to traditional Reanimator lists.

The one that was featured:

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Griselbrand
    2 Sire of Insanity
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

4 Lotus Petal

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Reanimate
    3 Firestorm

4 Animate Dead

1 Mountain
    2 Swamp
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Blackcleave Cliffs

Sideboard:
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    4 Sneak Attack
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Stronghold Gambit
    4 City of Traitors

The sideboard has interesting tech that has been championed by Caleb Durward in the infant stages of Mono Red Sneak Attack--bringing in Stronghold Gambit against creature light and creatureless decks (Lands, some Miracles builds, TES/ANT) is a cheap way to get them into play. Although the lack of Pyroblast/REB plus discard like Thoughtseize or even Cabal Therapy to compliment Gambit is odd--but I certainly trust LeJay knows exactly what he is doing. :)

Interesting tech main board is Firestorm--which is removal if it resolves, but it is also an uncounterable way to get your reanimation targets into the graveyard to be pulled out.

Something that I can see this deck using is maybe a single copy of Anger and using more mountains to get some kind of attack step turn 1 to open some really brutal turn 1s. Also, does Battle for Zendikar's new iteration of Ulamog offer another juicy target for us?

Either way, I really wanted to open the discussion for this awesome and brutally fast version of Reanimator. Props to LeJay for another crazy and off-the-wall build.
    Last edited by Redkid43; 09-27-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Re: Firestorm Reanimator

I don't deserve that much praise.
    During summer I tried to optimize the decklist of a guy in France that has been playing RB Reanimator for a few years and the list quoted wasn't even optimized yet. I remember I was quite in a hurry when I registered it (was rethinking the deck deeply) and did things like adding a 4th city sb because I didn't have time to think about what creature to play.
    I was playing 4 griselbrand though, like the SCG page indicates.

I don't remember precisely all changes I can be accounted for but I changed a lot of creatures, cut on fetches to preserve life that can go down quickly, went up in business spells, cut children of korlis. I also arranged the decklist so that sideboard tables would be easier when you take grave hate into equation and so that the hardcast a creature plan is more reliable (cities, creature choices). Maybe also a few forgotten advices along the years.

The guy that has been playing it relentlessly along the years is nicknamed Dindon (means both "turkey" and "dope" in french), so I was calling this deck Griseldindon and I suggest renaming the thread "Griseldindon (RB Reanimator)" to honor his dedication to the deck through the years.
    He had been playing pyroblasts in the sideboard for a long time until very shortly before I start testing the deck online. Card was removed because in the end he'd bet on having two business spells rather than one + pyroblast. There are drawbacks to that of course, but discard, drawing pyroblast in topdeck mode or opening a starting hand without business were considered bigger issues. It is in these slots that I put the cities.
    The latest decklist I played and gave him in early august was :
    1 [UNH] Mountain
    2 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
    2 [UNH] Swamp
    4 [R] Badlands
    4 [KTK] Bloodstained Mire
    1 [C14] Grave Titan
    1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 [C13] Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    2 [DGM] Sire of Insanity
    4 [AVR] Griselbrand
    4 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
    4 [TE] Lotus Petal
    3 [5E] Animate Dead
    3 [WL] Firestorm
    4 [CST] Dark Ritual
    4 [OD] Entomb
    4 [US] Exhume
    4 [C14] Faithless Looting
    4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
    4 [TE] Reanimate
    SB: 1 [DIS] Tidespout Tyrant
    SB: 1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    SB: 1 [THS] Ashen Rider
    SB: 3 [EX] City of Traitors
    SB: 4 [NE] Stronghold Gambit
    SB: 4 [US] Sneak Attack
    SB: 1 [C14] Grave Titan

I don't advise anger at all. It sounds like a perfect example of a win more card in the turn 1 case you describe. If you reanimate turn 1 you very likely win with griselbrand or sire of insanity (I added a second so that can almost always entomb for it and it's hardcastable turn 1).

The deck is very fun to play and is competitive but as everyone can guess it is a lot more subject to variance than your average blue deck. I still respect it as much as I was respecting it a few years ago whereas most people were (and still are) inclined to shout down non tier decks. But as someone that chose to play a blue shell in GP Lille rather than Sylvan plug (in a perfect DTT metagame !) I honestly doubt I will ever run it in a Grand Prix/BoM style event. It's still a competitive deck for any event that will grant you fun games, and if you clearly think you are an underdog to the rest of the room, it will turn you into a very dangerous competitor for the rest of the players.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Hello!!!
    I am the famous DINDON :)
    Thank You Mister Lejay to test my deck.
    If you want to see videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJC_D1NT-U
    le 5 mai 2014
    Play for Fun after BOM 9: Ronde 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vareUKiWDcM
    Vendredi du Biland du 06/12/2013 :
    Ronde n° 5 : DeathBlade (Cyrille Cwern) VS Reanimator RB (Charles Jeremy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7lJLAuRioM
    Vendredi du Biland du 07/02/2014 :
    Ronde n° 6 : OmniShow (Salgado Paul) VS Reanimator RB (Charles Jeremy)

https://www.youtube....h?v=iS63APv3KRU
    Quarter Final : UG Infect (Alcouffe Simon) VS Faithless Reanimator (Dindon)
    OPEN CDF Toulouse le 08/03/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2z9q97a0QE
    le 13 juin 2015
    Round 5: Jérémy CHARLES [Faithless Reanimator] vs Paul SALGADO [OmniShow]

DECK LIST TODAY
    4 Badlands
    2 Swamp
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Exhume
    4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Sire of Insanity
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    4 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Firestorm
    SB: 1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    SB: 4 Sneak Attack
    SB: 4 Stronghold Gambit
    SB: 1 Ashen Rider
    SB: 1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle

HAVE FUN!!!

Wow! I'm loving this deck! It appears to be less "all in" than Burning Reanimator which is good. Is it less consistent though being that your Entomb doesn't just grab Unburial Rites in a pinch or are you finding it equally consistent? I've also been checking out Phillip Erhardt whom took 1st place at a mid size tournament in Ingolstadt with his Black Red Reanimator list and it looks very similar. He runs 4x main deck Chancellor of the Annex. The link to his deck here. What are your guys thoughts on this?

EDIT: Also, I'm sure you have your reasons, just curious as to why Red Elemental Blast over Thoughtseize? Thoughtseize has the double purpose of disruption and it can be used as an outlet for your fatties.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 11-02-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

As I am mentioned in the last post, I'd like to say something about the deck, I am playing mostly as a pet deck for 18 months or so.
    First of all, my current 75:

//Maindeck
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    3 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Sire of Insanity
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Badlands
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Swamp
    1 Bayou

//Sideboard
    4 Stronghold Gambit
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Empyrial Archangel
    2 Massacre
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    2 Abrupt Decay

which went 4:0 at our latest local Legacy Event. (Burn 2-0, Lands 2-1, Miracles 2-0, DnT 2-1). The same list was piloted 3 weeks ago in Prague to a 4:2 drop (Miracles 2-1, Miracles 0-2, Burn 2-0, RUG 2-0, RUG 2-1, Storm 0-2).
    I do not play Firestorm, instead I like more Disruption including Chancellor of the Annex (also great vs. Spell-Chaining-Combos), Unmask and Thoughtseize (which are also discard outlets for 0/1 Mana, targeting yourself).

This Redanimator-List is quite explosive but lacks Cantrips and Counterspells (obv.). Anyway, it was played at several events in Germany und I decided to write a small primer (unfortunately in German): http://www.mtg-forum.de/topic/121155-redanimator/
    Maybe I will translate that stuff during the next days.

Excellent! Hasran Ogress, you are Phillip of whom I was talking about. I really like the deck. I've been playing your list with Chancellors and it is really good. Very consistent. I'll check out the primer. Thank you!
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Thread Information