Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Primer] U/G/w Stasis Control

Re: [Primer] U/G/w Stasis Control

Quote Originally Posted by sirgubster9 View Post
    Does the derevi command zone ability not apply when playing legacy?
    It should apply. Why wouldn't it? You'll have a hard time putting derevi in the command zone outside of the edh format though. In legacy it is mainly used for emblems.

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    I’d rather go deep in green with GSZ/Finale of Devastation to fix the missing creature
    Good suggestion! Green Sun‘s Zenith is probably better then Scryb Ranger because it allows us to cut a Derevi for more counter magic. GSZ is certainly the better choice of the two search cards as 5 mana for Derevi with Finale of Devastation is too much. It also amplifies some SB options.

no.. GSZ is to dig for Scryb and Quirion Ranger so you can untap more.

I suggest also Exploration and Ranumap Explorator (it can mantein a Stasis on his own with Zuran Orb or fetchlands)

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    no.. GSZ is to dig for Scryb and Quirion Ranger so you can untap more.

I suggest also Exploration and Ranumap Explorator (it can mantein a Stasis on his own with Zuran Orb or fetchlands)
    Maybe we misunderstood each other: I meant to say I would only include GSZ while cutting a Scryb Ranger. I do not consider cutting control as an option as the deck is slightly short on control already. But I think something like -1 Scryb Ranger, -1 Derevi, +1 GSZ, +1 Spell Pierce would be an improvement.

Exploration seems deceptively good but it really is not. In actual play it behaves like another combo piece that speeds up mana generation. It can‘t replace anything already there at the present because it doesn't produce mana itself. But the deck is so cheap, Noble Hierarch is more then enough speed up. I‘d rather have another counterspell then Exploration.

Assuming you mean Ranumap Excavator: That card looks like a nice SB card in a LD heavy environment. It is really too expensive CC wise to be anything more though, as you will have a hard time dropping it post Stasis. Unlike Quirion Ranger you can‘t drop a Stasis in an emergency in hopes to draw into one to stabilize.

The strength of my approach comes from playing the least amount of Stasis support cards possible while still keeping Stasis stable, and the biggest possible control suite.

[edit] improved some wording, the initial post was done on my mobile
    Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe; 04-29-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Played your list today and liked it a bit. My only real issue is that it's all in on stasis, if you can't get a stasis to resolve within enough time your done. No back up plan, no other combo. No nothing stasis or die... I feel like every other control deck, aggro deck or combo deck all have different choices if there main choice doesn't work out.... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by sirgubster9 View Post
    Played your list today and liked it a bit. My only real issue is that it's all in on stasis, if you can't get a stasis to resolve within enough time your done. No back up plan, no other combo. No nothing stasis or die... I feel like every other control deck, aggro deck or combo deck all have different choices if there main choice doesn't work out.... thoughts?
    Sorry for the very late reply, I come here extremely infrequently.

I had some games with this list where I could essentially win by playing a much worse UG Delver strategy. If you do not see your Stasis, you see all your creatures and counterspells. But other then that, you do not have many ways to win.

Stasis is a card that warps the rules of magic so much, you kind of have to go all in. If you try to play normal Magic, the upkeep of Stasis makes it a bad card to play in your deck. If you don't play normal Magic, your cards are kind of weak without Stasis. I saw a mono U list some time ago that played a bunch of other prison cards, but it seemed a little slow.

Jorn, God of Winter is a card to watch out for. It might help Stasis if the right snow cards get printed. As of now, I think Derevi is much better.
    I'd also think about including 2 Chain of Vapors to hit Planeswalkers. They also defend against missplayed Abrubt Decay.

May 2015
    PDX

The problem with Stasis is that it can't post higher winrates than Elves with 2 Trops, a Leo, and a Stasis or two (which itself is just less-winning than stock Elves).

You don't want to be playing enabler dudes that reward opponents for playing removal you can't overwhelm. At the end of the day you're a 5cmc Teferi deck staying off-board and spamming Terminus (and wondering why Stasis isn't just Standstill).

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The problem with Stasis is that it can't post higher winrates than Elves with 2 Trops, a Leo, and a Stasis or two (which itself is just less-winning than stock Elves).

You don't want to be playing enabler dudes that reward opponents for playing removal you can't overwhelm. At the end of the day you're a 5cmc Teferi deck staying off-board and spamming Terminus (and wondering why Stasis isn't just Standstill).
    Elves is an entirely different deck with entirely different matchups. My list is definitely not tier 1 but it has matchups it can shine in, especially against decks vulnerable to mana denial. Some players just play poorly because they don't fully understand the card and tap out for things that do not help them. In the end, you decide to play Stasis because you like it, not to get the highest win percentage. That said, this is still the strongest Stasis list I tested.

Yes, going with Quirion Ranger enables your opponent's removal. The problem is, the other cards that break the synergy of Stasis are much worse. They are either slow and vulnerable to counterspells or extremely slow and play even more cards that suck without Stasis.

May 2015
    PDX

Elves really isn't all that different. In this arc of legacy you have the deck that doesn't need an untap step [Elves], a deck that would deny the untap step [Stasis], and a deck that abuses the mechanics of skipping the untap step [Dreadnought & phasing]. They're all the same deck strategically [the untap abuse], just slightly different faces. When this Stasis stuff is what you want to do, and you want to be competitive, you really do have to ask if Elves with 2x Trop, 1-2x Stasis, and a Leo wouldn't just win more games (particularly at a time when Elves is highly played, and Leo would maybe make this mirror favored).

On the Dreadnought side of things, you're doing too much work (drawing Stasis and maintaining it). It's much easier to Karn wish Sands of Time and have fun with cards like Equipoise and Teferi's Realm. You run into a third problem with Stasis where you would also just win more games if your 1U enchant was called Standstill. It's cool that Teferi 5cmc can sustain Stasis indefinitely, but unlike Standstill your 2 mana enchant isn't getting you closer to him...and while denying an untap step is cool, double activating Search for Azcanta each turn cycle with Teferi 5cmc is more likely to win. When talking about Standstill with Teferi 5cmc it too almost qualifies as a Stasis deck just because of how it's naturally built to ignore Choke and B2B.

While it wouldn't be good, I would sooner play Choke + effects like Mind Bend. The trolling is basically limitless with Carpet of Flowers and the occasional Urborg. Also you could play Uro in these colors, and you've maybe got this idea of 2x Living Wish to find the Urborg and to grab an Uro in g2/3 post-Surgical. Importantly Choke doesn't have sustain nor is it killed by Pyroblast. Elvish Reclaimer is an easy turn 1 play to include here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Elves really isn't all that different. In this arc of legacy you have the deck that doesn't need an untap step [Elves], a deck that would deny the untap step [Stasis], and a deck that abuses the mechanics of skipping the untap step [Dreadnought & phasing]. They're all the same deck strategically [the untap abuse], just slightly different faces. When this Stasis stuff is what you want to do, and you want to be competitive, you really do have to ask if Elves with 2x Trop, 1-2x Stasis, and a Leo wouldn't just win more games (particularly at a time when Elves is highly played, and Leo would maybe make this mirror favored).

On the Dreadnought side of things, you're doing too much work (drawing Stasis and maintaining it). It's much easier to Karn wish Sands of Time and have fun with cards like Equipoise and Teferi's Realm. You run into a third problem with Stasis where you would also just win more games if your 1U enchant was called Standstill. It's cool that Teferi 5cmc can sustain Stasis indefinitely, but unlike Standstill your 2 mana enchant isn't getting you closer to him...and while denying an untap step is cool, double activating Search for Azcanta each turn cycle with Teferi 5cmc is more likely to win. When talking about Standstill with Teferi 5cmc it too almost qualifies as a Stasis deck just because of how it's naturally built to ignore Choke and B2B.

While it wouldn't be good, I would sooner play Choke + effects like Mind Bend. The trolling is basically limitless with Carpet of Flowers and the occasional Urborg. Also you could play Uro in these colors, and you've maybe got this idea of 2x Living Wish to find the Urborg and to grab an Uro in g2/3 post-Surgical. Importantly Choke doesn't have sustain nor is it killed by Pyroblast. Elvish Reclaimer is an easy turn 1 play to include here as well.
    This is an interesting take on Stasis. I haven't been playing MtG for some time, so I do not know newer cards and the new meta.

That being said, you are probably right. At the time I did my last deck tech, Miracles was the strongest deck by far. You could always ask: "If you want to play control, why not play Miracles?"
    This deck works differently then Elves and probably your Dreadnought phasing deck (if it revolves around what I think it revolves around). This list is mostly about mana denial while also hitting many aggro plans. You are probably right that Elves are just stronger because the deck has better matchups even with some Stasis tech.

I tried Choke because there where a lot of mono blue decks around. Stasis was better because it hit creatures and artifacts too, you can also drop Stasis on its own if you have a good read on the board state. Standstill was a problem though, because control decks that do not like to tap out are a problem for Stasis in general. A competent control player who wouldn't tap out and played Standstill was a problem vs Stasis as well as Choke. I usually took out Stasis game 2 and played the deck like a weaker u/g aggro list.

Bottom line: Yeah, there are stronger lists out there. Maybe even combo with 2 Stasis playing it as dead cards for FoW might be stronger because those 2 cards do not matter too much and combo is stronger. But I do not only try to abuse the untap phase, I also try to play a softlock prison control deck.

Thread Information