Thread: Day's Undoing

Day's Undoing

So we have Day's Undoing plus either Final Fortune or Last Chance.

The Oracle on the extra turn cards name is "Take an extra turn after this one. At the beginning of that turn's end step, you lose the game."

I cast Final Fortune or Last Chance and then move into the extra turn. During that turn, I cast Day's Undoing. I am led to believe that this will prevent me from losing that turn as it will skip the end step.

Now Day's Undoing has this ruling on it's gatherer page:
    6/22/2015 Any “at the beginning of the next end step” triggered abilities won’t get the chance to trigger that turn because the end step is skipped. Those abilities will trigger at the beginning of the end step of the next turn. The same is true of abilities that trigger at the beginning of other phases or steps.

However, the extra turn cards do not say “at the beginning of the next end step” . They say "At the beginning of that turn's end step".

That should mean that it will not trigger again shouldn't it?
    Hill Giant means business.

Re: Day's Undoing

Day's Undoing will prevent the game loss trigger from ever getting put on the stack. (The same way as if you never take the extra turn at all.)

Yes, you can certainly make the condition for a delayed triggered ability impossible. Last Chance etc's delayed triggered ability will just never trigger. The ability will technically be hanging there waiting, forever (or until the game ends, whichever is first).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Hill Giant means business.

Seems like Sundial of the Infinite is the card to abuse this interaction with.

May 2015
    PDX

From the errata: "If any triggered abilities do trigger during this process, they’re put onto the stack during the cleanup step. If this happens, players will have a chance to cast spells and activate abilities, then there will be another cleanup step before the turn ends."
    Is there some esoteric "when creature x is removed from combat, trigger y happens," or is this somehow to accommodate a miracle trigger from a player whose first draw this turn was from day's undoing? I guess there are some creatures where bad stuff happens "when you lose control" and "gain control until end of turn" spells??
    As far as final fortune goes, I'd be really careful about old "at end of turn" stuff; there are glaring inconsistencies between the oracle's treatment of a card like Thawing Glaciers vs Final Fortune types. If they went from "At end of turn, return Thawing Glaciers to owner's hand" to "Return Thawing Glaciers to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next cleanup step," then it seems like Final Fortune should read "lose the game at the end of that turn's cleanup step." The safest thing is to end the turn with lose the game trigger on the stack beneath it.

If you read the Mirage (original) and 6th ed versions of Final Fortune they imply an oracle stating trigger in that turn's cleanup step; the "fixed" wording of the 7th ed. reprint creates more problems since the rules overhaul. While the newer wording is, by itself, simpler...it also seems much more defunct.

There are no "errata" in Magic. Anything you see on Gatherer is a rules tip, nothing more. The Comprehensive Rules contain all rules.

SBAs and triggers can happen in the cleanup step because the things that happen in the cleanup step (discarding and effects ending) can cause SBAs and triggers. See Rule 514. Cleanup Step. I'm not clear on what you're asking.

Thawing Glaciers (and several other cards like it) trigger during the cleanup step because that's the closest they can come to working as they were printed under the rules at the time they were printed. Final Fortune triggers during the end step because that's where it triggered as it was printed under the rules at the time it was last printed.

The Oracle wording of cards is always based on the most recent printing, even if that printing intentionally or unintentionally changed wording. Older printings are irrelevant.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Jul 2013
    Texas

Just FYI, since Final Fortune is an instant and Last Chance is a sorcery, the nut is this:

-Cast FF during opponent's end step
    -Move to FF turn
    -Cast Days Undoing, end FF turn before trigger
    -Move to your actual turn with full grip

I have been trying to figure out a deck this fits in. You can also stifle the FF trigger, so you end up with a UR stifle deck, which probably also means delver + buddies, and maybe dreadnought since you keep reshuffling your stifles and taking extra turns. Some day...

Thread Information