Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [COMM] Commander 2015 Spoiler Discussion

Re: [COMM] Commander 2015 Spoiler Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    If i'm sacking 2 creatures, i'm getting something better than this with dredge. Not bad but, not sure this is a LED dredge card.
    Zombie Dragon gets around Containment Priest and Moat, which is cool. It's also black to be fed to Ichorid.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    The wording is shitty because it has to work with overload.
    Not to be totally pedantic but that doesn't even make sense -- you can easily switch "target" with "each" without needing that terribly weird wording. The bulk of the Overload spells only target creatures, so they have extra words to make them not suck (target creature you control gets +N/+N, or target creature you don't control gets -X/-X, so that the "each" isn't totally undesirable)

Recoup with Overload works just fine, and it targets sorceries in the yard --

"Target sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until EOT...."

"Each sorcery card in the graveyard gains flashback...."

There has to be some other goofy reason. I'm hoping it's not just an oversight, but that there's some weird trick that I'm not aware of, or something. But it's probably just a goof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Not to be totally pedantic but that doesn't even make sense -- you can easily switch "target" with "each" without needing that terribly weird wording. The bulk of the Overload spells only target creatures, so they have extra words to make them not suck (target creature you control gets +N/+N, or target creature you don't control gets -X/-X, so that the "each" isn't totally undesirable)

Recoup with Overload works just fine, and it targets sorceries in the yard --

"Target sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until EOT...."

"Each sorcery card in the graveyard gains flashback...."

There has to be some other goofy reason. I'm hoping it's not just an oversight, but that there's some weird trick that I'm not aware of, or something. But it's probably just a goof.
    rufus already pointed out that the reason behind the wording is so that the Overload affects all instants AND sorceries, rather than all instants OR all sorceries.
    The current wording: "Exile target card that's an instant or sorcery from your graveyard."

The wording we're used to seeing: "Exile target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard."

Using the wording we're used to, overload would make it look like this:
    "Exile each instant or sorcery card from your graveyard." -> which sounds like you have to choose to either exile just instants or just sorceries.

Hence the current wording which overload would make:
    "Exile each card that's an instant or sorcery from your graveyard."
    This way, there's no question that overload hits both instants and sorceries.

Can we move on yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisTom View Post
    Can we move on yet?
    Instant speed sweeper evading mass polymorph incoming. Unlikely to be legacy material, even if it combos with token makers.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Balance is on the edh banlist and I don't think there is a lot of demand for cheap versions of that effect to enter the casual multiplayer format...
    And a Magus of the Living Dead would need some other style of formatting... Otherwise you'd sac the creature and end up getting it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    And a Magus of the Living Dead would need some other style of formatting... Otherwise you'd sac the creature and end up getting it back.
    I think Magus of the Living Dead is fine getting him back over and over with small body and the HUGE costs associated with playing and activating him.
    Guess we'll have to wait.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Just use an activation cost without sacrificing? He would get sacrificed once the effect resolves anyway.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Wizards can't print interesting R/W cards even if their life depended on it. Most of the playable red cards are two other cards mashed together or token producers:

Goblin Legionnaire (before the combat rule nerf): Shock + a nerfed Healing Salve
    Lightning Helix: Lightning Bolt + Healing Salve
    Wear // Tear: Shatter + Demystify
    And Boros Charm is also just a bunch of modes slapped together.

Would it have killed them to make at least one utility commander instead of another two shitty, boring beatsticks?
    They have so little non-combat overlap. I want a commander that plays in the same space as Moonhold, but I'm afraid that would be too "unfun" to print.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    They have so little non-combat overlap. I want a commander that plays in the same space as Moonhold, but I'm afraid that would be too "unfun" to print.
    Red has its fair share of hate cards as well. R/W could be the marquee color of unique hosers, especially hatebears with combat stats (think Thalia - e.g. first strike is a shared property between both colors). Thus you could add utility to the color combination that isn't fucking Lightning Helix slapped on everything while keeping a certain combat focus. Imho that would be good design - not the uninspired PoS Wizards keeps delivering while BG gets amazing cards all the time.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Oh man I love Meren. . . .

1st turn - Land + mana dork
    2nd turn - Land + 1 mana creature than can sac + mana dork
    3rd turn - Land + Meren/GSZ-->Meren - sac that creature - gain exp counter - get that creature back end of turn.

What should that sac creature be?

Children of Korlis/Kami of False Hope/Spore Frog for a soft lock,

Then turn 4, play evoke creatures?

I guess Rock control?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

3rd turn - Land + Meren/GSZ-->Meren - sac that creature - gain exp counter - get that creature back end of turn.

I guess Rock control?
    lol, that sounds so much easier than land, land, land show and tell fatty....
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

I guess Rock control?
    Return of the Spore Frog lock sounds interesting since both parts are GSZ-able.

Edit: As for self-sac creatures, there's also Sakura-Tribe Elder.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    lol, that sounds so much easier than land, land, land show and tell fatty....
    In theory, one could play Fleshbag Marauder to deal with that problem.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Return of the Spore Frog lock sounds interesting since both parts are GSZ-able.
    In theory, one could play Fleshbag Marauder to deal with that problem.
    It's not half bad. I ran some pure jank a super long time ago against 12-Post. I was in WB using Marauder next to Sun Titan and some Ramp pieces and I managed to get there due to:

S&T-> Ulamog vs. Fleshbag
    S&T-> Ulamog vs. Sun-Titan->grabs Fleshbag
    Hardcast Ulamog -> destroyed something that was a problem (Liliana?) Sun Titan attacks; Fleshbag eats Ulamog a 3rd time

Now, that was some Janky fun; but Maren is a playable version of that problem for fair decks, S&T, and Reanimator alike with some extreme Liliana synergy. IMO, Fleshbag is already playable if you have tokens or something; it's just that Liliana and the like are better; and that we're talking about T2.5 decks already.

I think in general she's a tough-to-kill Bob that could become the end-game of choice of some form of Junk deck, but more likely; we'll see it in Shardless at some point; getting free Agents/Strixes back similar to Tasigur; but without having to keep paying the cost.

That all said; I tend to look for things that don't encourage you to eat Terminus hard now-a-days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Apr 2011
    Germany

I don't quite get why WotC connected the legendary Deathrite Shaman flavorably with Jund!?? It should be Golgari.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    @Magus of the Wheel:
    So, that card is incredibly powerful. It is outstandingly powerful. Are we sure this is correctly spoiled? A 3/3 for 3 in red with this ability? Are you kidding me?
    It's almost certainly a 3/3 to avoid Imperial Recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGlantz View Post
    It's almost certainly a 3/3 to avoid Imperial Recruiter.
    Meh! If you play recruiter, him, activate, thats 5RRR.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Mar 2007

What a shame it isn't legal in Modern because it would be a great beater in Soul Sisters.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post

I don't quite get why WotC connected the legendary Deathrite Shaman flavorably with Jund!?? It should be Golgari.
    DRS is a 1-mana planeswalker, she can go where she pleases.

What a shame it isn't legal in Modern because it would be a great beater in Soul Sisters.
    I can see building Soul Sisters in Legacy with Karlov of the Ghost Council, especially as he plays well with Council's Judgement.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I can see building Soul Sisters in Legacy with Karlov of the Ghost Council, especially as he plays well with Council's Judgement.
    Soul Warden/Soul's Attendant turn 1, Karlov turn 2 is a 4/4. Problem in Legacy is that the deck would probably be terrible versus Miracles.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information