Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [COMM] Commander 2015 Spoiler Discussion

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: [COMM] Commander 2015 Spoiler Discussion

It'd be cool if experience was something that never left the game, so if a player caused another player to leave the game, they gained all the dead player's experience. So when you're down to the last two players, each has access to some truly overpowered spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    It'd be cool if experience was something that never left the game, so if a player caused another player to leave the game, they gained all the dead player's experience. So when you're down to the last two players, each has access to some truly overpowered spells.
    Good call, I'm sure they'll print something with some ability like "when this deals damage to a player, if that player would lose the game, you gain experience counters equal to the number of experience counters they have" or some jank. Heh. Whether or not they give you half the money in their wallet is probably best left as a house rule.

I expect that if "experience matters" is a mechanic there will be a nonzero number of support spells and creatures that do more if you have more experience. I can dig it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I would bet an Arm that the conditions to gain these "experience counters" are as dumb (do damage, cast creatures, cast uncompeditive expensive spells) as the spells that profit from it (in before: Mythic Hydra which gets +1/+1 counter for each experience counter).

Honestly gentlemen, this is simply just YET ANOTHER FUCKING KICKER VARIANT!
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Good call, I'm sure they'll print something with some ability like "when this deals damage to a player, if that player would lose the game, you gain experience counters equal to the number of experience counters they have" or some jank. Heh. Whether or not they give you half the money in their wallet is probably best left as a house rule.

I expect that if "experience matters" is a mechanic there will be a nonzero number of support spells and creatures that do more if you have more experience. I can dig it
    I mean, considering the condition here is "cast a creature spell with CMC >4", I can't imagine that the support for experience will be too extensive.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

There are only 55 new cards...
    I'm guessing there will be 5 cards that have 'experience' printed on them, all will be creatures and one of them is Kalemne.
    I'm using history as my reasoning. Last set the "Planeswalker can be your Commander" wording was on 5 cards. Before that the "(effect) for as much as you spend on your Commander" was printed on 3 cards (4 if you count Opal Palace).

@Lemnear: How is this a Kicker variant?
    Kicker and its variations are: "as you cast this spell, pay (additional cost) and (added benefit)".

Experience counters appear to work in this manner: "fulfill (requirement) and you get an experience counter". Then the creature gets modified in some manner based on how many times it saw you fulfill (requirement).
    This seems closer to the ascension, quest, and expedition cards in the original Zendikar (Pyromancer Ascension, Quest for the Holy Relic, Khalni Heart Expedition) where WotC wants you to accomplish a task (instead of pay a cost) to get the benefit.

Also a reminder to all... Expectations for legacy playable cards should be extremely low! If we get 2 cards that would be a lot.

From Commander 2014 we got:
    Containment Priest
    Daretti, Scrap Savant
    Titania, Protector of Argoth
    Dualcaster Mage

And calling 3 of those Legacy cards is really stretching the truth.

Commander 2013 gave us:
    Unexpectedly Absent
    True-Name Nemesis
    Toxic Deluge
    Sudden Demise

And only 2/3 of those really see any play at all.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Also original Commander gave us

Flusterstorm
    Scavenging Ooze
    Chaos Warp

Anything else new and remotely playable in the first one?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Are you trying to lure me into the basement of an abandoned house so you can murder me for money to purchase drugs?
    Are... are you into that?

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    You are both genuinely terrible at this...
    lol I'm hoping this was a joke that was just executed with perfect sarcasm. Either way; it's that way in my brain mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

How can you deny that this is a kicker-variant? Your additional investment is simply playing cards that add experience counters which isn't far off the principle of bloodrush which had it's kicker-effect tacked on damaging the opponent before casting the creature.

It doesn't matter if you pay additional mana or have to fulfil special conditions, the essence of the Kicker-cards is to grant additional buffs to the cards usual effect under given circumstances. Unfortunately most are executed in a way to benefit you if you are already in a favorable Position rather than the opposite aka to turn the tides of a game (like the awesome Fateful Hour)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    How can you deny that this is a kicker-variant? Your additional investment is simply playing cards that add experience counters which isn't far off the principle of bloodrush which had it's kicker-effect tacked on damaging the opponent before casting the creature.
    What?

Let's look at bloodrush.
    Ghor-Clan Rampager
    Bloodrush - , Discard ~: Target attacking creature gets +4/+4 and gains trample until end of turn.

The bloodrush ability basically turns a creature into a Giant Growth-style pump spell. That is nothing like a kicker variant...
    Again, Kicker tacks an extra cost onto a spell to add additional benefits.

Here's some actual Kicker knock-offs:
    Awaken
    Entwine
    Bestow
    Buyback
    Exploit
    Extort
    Overload
    Replicate

Bloodrush is more like the Command cycles where you choose a mode. You either choose the 'creature' mode for or the 'pump spell' mode for .

The single example we have involving experience counters is nothing like Kicker. You get the bonus by playing OTHER spells... AFTER Kalemne has already resolved. Kicker's whole thing is that it is an add-on option to the spell being kicked. The additional costs have to be paid as the spell is being played (see any of the keyword examples I provided above).

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

The kicker comparison makes no sense whatsoever at all ever in the history of all things

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Awaken
    Entwine
    Bestow
    Buyback
    Exploit
    Extort
    Overload
    Replicate
    Sounds like some hardcore deaththrash lyrics.

"Awaken! The fury of the beast!
    Entwine! The one that gives you feast!
    Bestow! The thrill of kill you need!
    Buyback! The glory of your deed!
    Exploit! The weakness of the foe!
    Extort! In darkness you're no more.
    Overload and slay what makes you bleed!
    Replicate! The creed of dying breed!
    Aaarrrgh!"

Also, I haven't checked the contents of Commander 2015 at all, so may I join the discussion with an opinion on how this new box will completely disbalance Legacy and/or bring nothing new to it?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

How can you deny that this is a kicker-variant? Your additional investment is simply playing cards
    If playing cards to gain an effect in conjunction with your other cards is "a Kicker variant" then this entire game is just secretly the Kicker mechanic. I think you're trying a little too hard to see a parallel where none exists.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

If we're making crazy analogies its more like a narrower but more permanent prowess type effect that uses counters that accumulate on players like poison - a.k.a. Kicker.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Confused Bloodrush and Bloodthirst. My bad here.

I stand my point in the bigger context: Cardeffect + additional effect, if condition x is met or additional cost y is payed is nothing else than kicker for me

Join us at Facebook!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Confused Bloodrush and Bloodthirst. My bad here.

I stand my point in the bigger context: Cardeffect + additional effect, if condition x is met or additional cost y is payed is nothing else than kicker for me
    So Goblin Warchief gives your Goblins "Kicker -- -1: If you paid the kicker cost, this creature has haste"?

Jun 2015
    NYC

IMO the worst thing about having endless kicker variants is that they make the mtg rulebook longer and longer without adding much to the gameplay. Occasionally the differences between the kicker mechanics actually ends up mattering (eg you can't overload a spell you flashbacked w/ snapcaster but you can kicker it) - and it's annoying / not-intuitive because all kicker mechanics 'feel' the same.

Jun 2015
    NYC

I don't think anyone would be that bothered if wizards just made kicker evergreen and just used it all the time. Kinda think they overrate how much people care about 'new mechanics' vs. having a well made set for standard/limited + powerful cards for older formats.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

So Blood Tyrant has kicker now

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    So Goblin Warchief gives your Goblins "Kicker -- -1: If you paid the kicker cost, this creature has haste"?
    Now I get it!

So Infernal Tutor is: Kicker -- If you have no cards in your hand, search for a card and shuffle your library.

And Glimpse of Nature is: Kicker -- Play a creature, draw a card.

Wow, everything really is just a form of Kicker.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Thread Information