Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCG Legacy Open St. Louis discussion

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: SCG Legacy Open St. Louis discussion

Pretty sure the correct play is to not use Surgical and just let him resolve the Tutor, then see what he does.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Oct 2013
    Georgia

...and that's why you play blue, kids.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Pretty sure the correct play is to not use Surgical and just let him resolve the Tutor, then see what he does.
    The correct play would be to not tap out like a retarded monkey especially when you have a mongoose and a goyf pitting your opponent on a clock. He was holding a stifle.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Oct 2015
    Paris

He was tapped out cause he played the goyf right ? Anyway, the Tempo Thresh players shoudln't be tapped out at this moment.

I don't understand Feline's line by landing CB-T against jund. Did she even resolve the cascade vs. cb triggers from BBE in correct order?

Sure, because nic-fit and tin-fin make so much sense to people outside of Legacy community. I'm with Patrick on this one. If he didn't work for SCG, he would probably use BUG and RUG.

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

This Shardless player is the worst. The absolute worst.

Edit: And he gets deservedly punished for it.

Oct 2013
    Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by VsTheWorld View Post
    This Shardless player is the worst. The absolute worst.

Edit: And he gets deservedly punished for it.
    Was rooting for Storm...but man, cannot believe he held back Thoughtseize.

I know I normally play like a buffoon by Round 9 though so understandable play isn't as tight.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    P. Sullivan belittling the Legacy "community" (yeah, he used quotes when he said this, because it's just "some forums") for its deck names and how unusable they are for coverage and beginners.

Get that Sultai out of my Shardless BUG.
    Whoa! No need to get sultai about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Internet RUG delver man getting pounded by big Red. Satly because he can't read what English cards do. Sandstone produces 2 you clown.
    Mono-R guy needs to announce what mana is in his mana pool when he places a spell or ability on the stack. That should have been a CPV infraction and rewound to just before the casting of Daze. Hard to feel bad that his durdledeck got crushed by a Delver deck.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    I don't understand Feline's line by landing CB-T against jund. Did she even resolve the cascade vs. cb triggers from BBE in correct order?

Sure, because nic-fit and tin-fin make so much sense to people outside of Legacy community. I'm with Patrick on this one. If he didn't work for SCG, he would probably use BUG and RUG.
    No, they resolved the active player trigger first.

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Originally Posted by BeardTron View Post
    Was rooting for Storm...but man, cannot believe he held back Thoughtseize.

I know I normally play like a buffoon by Round 9 though so understandable play isn't as tight.
    Not only absurdly not casting Thoughtseize, but twice in a row removing the one sorcery with Deathrite to shrink his own Goyfs rather than one of the 6 or so instants floating around.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Reading this thread makes me glad I don't watch coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am pretty sure someone who tunes into a legacy stream is going to be confused enough by the cards and interactions that the deck names barely matter. I think they're one of the selling points of the format, even.

Calling something 'abzan' instead of 'maverick' doesn't help anyone understand what the deck is doing. It's really not that hard to look at the board and see what colors are there.
    But then they should just call Atarka Red and RG Landfall Gruul then? Why use descriptors at all?! Shardless vs. Team America is a Sultai mirror. Patriot Delver vs. Miracles is a Jeskai mirror. ANT and Reanimator are Dimir. Don't be lazy, not using a real name is a disservice and ignorant.

That said, wedge names are fine as long as they clarify color. Shardless Sultai is here to stay.

Oct 2011
    California

I dropped after round 7 yesterday due to exhaustion (played Miracles, should've played Reanimator, was mentally worn out after picking up my third loss while sitting in the "every opponent is on Merfolk" bracket).

Had planned to hop in the Modern 5k today with my decklist proudly labeled "Ceta Twin", but then overslept. Oh well.

Also, there really was a lot of Merfolk in the room, also a lot of Infect. Highlights of my day included:

• Round 2 vs. Nic Fit, demonstrating that Monastery Mentor can outrace a Grave Titan.
    • Round 4 vs. Reanimator, explaining that no, Counterbalance's ability is not a spell and so Force of Will won't stop it.
    • Round 5 vs. Merfolk, making him break his own Standstill by flashing things in response to him casting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
    • Round 2 vs. Nic Fit, demonstrating that Monastery Mentor can outrace a Grave Titan.
    • Round 4 vs. Reanimator, explaining that no, Counterbalance's ability is not a spell and so Force of Will won't stop it.
    • Round 5 vs. Merfolk, making him break his own Standstill by flashing things in response to him casting it.
    <3 Legacy

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Don't be lazy, not using a real name is a disservice and ignorant.

That said, wedge names are fine as long as they clarify color. Shardless Sultai is here to stay.
    It's interesting to me that you feel this way because I don't think Sultai is a real name and the only reason you can make any claim that it clarifies color at all is that people at SCG seem hellbent on making the names stick through constant exposure. I may be mistaken, but the Shards names stuck without being crammed down our throats, and I think that's because nothing about the Khans names clarifies color since they were crafted to sound exotic more than to evoke any feelings of any of the three colors they are supposed to represent. Most of the three color group names are complete gibberish, yet somehow Grixis makes me think of something that seems at least a little black-red, while Sultai makes me think of people who are trying too hard to make something sound eastern. Really, I don't think the creative team put a ton of thought into these names as *the* names going forward, and that is why there has been so much resistance.

If the name is here to stay, I do not think it will be because the name feels natural. I'll admit I could be wrong here though; honestly, the Khans names are still jarring to me because no one in Japan seems to use them--I hear Jund, Bant, Grixis and Esper regularly, but they still use names like Canadian Threshold and Team America because using real words is so much easier than learning fake Asian that Asians can't even say.

So, the running joke at the moment is that Patrick Sullivan heard about the Bant Knight deck and the names and got so angry the convention hall caught fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
    I dropped after round 7 yesterday due to exhaustion (played Miracles, should've played Reanimator, was mentally worn out after picking up my third loss while sitting in the "every opponent is on Merfolk" bracket).

Had planned to hop in the Modern 5k today with my decklist proudly labeled "Ceta Twin", but then overslept. Oh well.

Also, there really was a lot of Merfolk in the room, also a lot of Infect. Highlights of my day included:

Come on, that was the correct choice. Don't switch to the dark side.

If infect and Merfolk were indeed the popular choices day one, it's actually unfavorable for miracles players. I've seen pockets before, usually it exists in draw bracket.

I dislike Standstill Merfolk strongly, Chalice Merfolk is simply better.

It's the top 8 and we have a fantastic matchup between Imperial Taxes and a new brew with BFZ cards...so here's Infect vs BUG on camera!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    It's the top 8 and we have a fantastic matchup between Imperial Taxes and a new brew with BFZ cards...so here's Infect vs BUG on camera!
    Make sure to tell them their dislike on Twitter.

I would have loved to see how Imperial Taxes vs Knight Retreat plays out, but no, gotta watch Infect Jesus vs Shardless BUG.

Oct 2013
    Georgia

Scg has Tom Ross' dong jammed so far down their throats they can't focus on anything else.

Was an entertaining match rgardless :)

Thread Information