Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Brave Sir Robin (Bant Knight Retreat)

Re: Brave Sir Robin (Bant Knight Retreat)

A new baby has meant that I play very, very unfrequently, and have typically stuck to more mainstream decks or other interesting brews to try to keep up with the meta, when I do.

I still think it's an interesting deck that deserves more attention and work than it's gotten.

My sense, of those cards, without testing them, is that they're unlikely to work well in my version. So many of the slots are fixed by the constraints of the archetype and synergistic design decisions that most of the flex slots have to fill in around them. The particular issues with those cards are: (a) the curve is high and manabase tight/weak, leaving the competition higher on the curve quite tight (with Knight+Jace somewhat fixed), (b) Knight is susceptible enough to the removal of many fair decks to prefer a harder-to-remove alternative threat, and (c) combo hate in the board is preferably tutorable, since GSZ and land-tutoring goes a long way in turning on bombs against the big match-ups (and meanwhile, "3" is not as much for this deck as most, but is still more than 2, particularly with 1-mana counters coming in from the board).

For maindeck threats, I think TNN really is the best backup threat, since it dodges Knight removal and makes good use of some other parts of the deck. Replacing with Queller is a hard sell (even though Queller can protect Knight from Decay sometimes).

I'd always considered a Maverick-ier build, closer to the Modern counterparts, to be pretty interesting, but never put much time into it. This would start with cutting Forces for Stoneforge, but Queller could make more sense there. I'd love to see anything you work on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

It looks like some "Bant Retreat" list made Day 2 of SCG Baltimore, which is the first I'd seen of this in a while. I'd love to know who did that and what they played.
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Saw that too, highly interested.

I meant to play SFM/DRS Bant at the GP, but (barely) made it to the 6pm Legacy Challenge in time, and audibled for Brave Sir Robin at the last second (almost literally - I voice-memo'd my list in the car and built my sideboard in 2 minutes, almost didn't make it).

I won the challenge, so I decided to play it at the main event, which I half-regret (I went 5-4, losing to DnT, 4C Delver, and Affinity(!), and scooping to BUG Delver at time). Despite dropping to 3 retreats, I still combo'd ~40% of my wins, not counting Depths.

I did make one of the sweetest possible combo plays, in a game 3 against Miracles that went to time, on turn 5. We go to turns while I have Retreat, Sylvan Library, and Noble Hierarch in play (K Grip and Sigarda in Hand) against Ensnaring Bridge and SDT, he's at 18 I think. On turn 3 I land a Knight, and he furiously cantrips on his turn and passes back. So on Turn 5 I untap with active Knight+Retreat+Hierarch against SDT+E Bridge.

I cast Meddling Mage, and he responds by flipping top to Miracle Terminus. I respond with a lengthy series of Knight activations and fetches. For the first couple, I would go (1) activate Knight for fetch (untap Knight), (2) fetch for basic (untap Hierarch), (3) tap new land + hierarch for +2 mana, repeat. After floating a few mana, I started using every other trigger (with Knight already untapped) to scry off retreat, but then I respond to my scry with another Knight activation. I repeated this process until I had 9 mana floating, 5 scrys on the stack, Horizon Canopy in play, and maybe 18 lands in the yard. I K Grip bridge, then resolve scrys one-at-a-time until I found FoW on top, crack Horizon Canopy to draw FoW, cast with the last 5 mana, and swing for 21.

The biggest change is the land toolbox (Depths instead of KWR, maindeck Crop Rotation, maindeck Maze). Playing Stage+Depths, especially with a Crop Rotation, gives me the ability to win in Knight vs. fair stuff standoffs much more elegantly (and quickly) than KWR does, and this turns out to come up often. Knight is a defensive beast, and being able to EOT tutor up an uncounterable kill is excellent.
    The role of KWR has been to ensure that Knight is big enough to win through a few DRS activations or smaller grave hate, against small life gain (Batterskull, DRS, StP), against TNN, etc., and without going too all-in (i.e., killing my last real lands for wasteland and karakas and then wasting myself) to ensure 20.
    Depths covers most of these categories well enough. Against unfair decks, I just go all-in and they typically can't disrupt me, so wasting myself is fine. Against most fair decks, I pass the turn with Knight combo, tap all their guys pre-combat their turn, make Marit Lage at their EOT, and win on my next turn. Against Miracles or decks with double removal (to beat Steppe) or single removal (if I don't begin comboing with a fetch in play), Depths can be slightly more resilient, as Knight can often (not always) put Depths on line before dying, and they need another answer for Marit Lage. The biggest downside is against decks where I don't want to go all-in immediately, but tapping their guys doesn't keep them from winning. Comboing against burn or even URx Delver is tough if I'm low on life, since I don't want all-in combo'ing to expose me to getting burned out, and I don't want to give them another turn, in which my main source of available disruption is tapping their guys. I can still just die to spells.

Overall, I was very happy with Depth and maindeck Crop Rotation, and will continue to use them if I play this deck again.

Notably, the main deck has 65 cards. I tested 75 for a while, and 68 for a while, and the 68-card list might be better.
    This is probably because I'm a scrub.
    My logic is: (a) Sticking to 60 is done to maximize your exposure to your best cards. I have effectively 3.7 Brainstorms, which sucks, but it's really the only spell I feel bad about losing some concentration of - the rest of the 4-offs are fine as <4, and I wouldn't play a 5th if I could.
    (b) In a toolbox deck (GSZ, Rotation, Knight), I'm playing 1-off cards as tutor targets that I don't really want to draw in generic situations (Steppe, Depths, Pridemage, etc.). If I were playing a 100 card Knight deck, I'd only want 1 Sejiri Steppe, and could be even looser with my inclusion of toolbox targets (In 300, I'd have at least 1 maindeck Scavenging Ooze, Sylvan Ranger, Nephalia Drownyard, etc.). Larger deck sizes slightly (very slightly, at 65) counteract the disadvantage from toolboxing.
    (c) If I need to combo and win on the spot, I need to reliably swing at least 20, maybe more, in case I've cast Swords or lost lands to DRS or natural-drawn enough duals to strand my fetches or one of many things has come up. That means I need to be able to bin 18 lands reliably, and I like to keep a fetch in play with a target left in the deck to get Steppe if they attempt mid-combo removal. Having 25 lands (9 Plains/Forest, 8 Fetch) lets me do this more reliably. Comboing from 3 lands should end with Depths/Stage activation, fetch in play (with 1 target+steppe in the deck), which normally makes Knight 19/19, which is right on the edge of safe. Going much lower can be problematic, and this manabase means >60 cards. (I should probably add at least a Tundra, maybe a 9th fetch, maybe a Plains.)

Lands (25)
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Karakas
    2 Wasteland
    1 Thespian’s Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Maze of Ith

Guys (15)
    3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    2 Jace, the Mind-Sculptor

Spells (25)
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Retreat to Coralhelm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    1 Spell Pierce

Sideboard (15)
    1 Invasive Surgery
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 containment priest
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Krossan Grip
    1 Engineered Explosives

I don't have much time to play magic, and like trying other archetypes when I do get a chance, but I've continued to be pretty successful with this deck. I think it's better than the non-attention it gets, and is fun to play if you like toolbox decks. My record with it in sanctioned Legacy is now 41-12-3.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Great report. I really like the way you broke down your thinking and some cool plays and it really enriches our community.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

That you crushed a grinder with your own (updated) brew and didn't get your list in the coverage is a fucking war crime.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Feb 2016
    Holland

I've been starting of with this list for now. It's been playing quite fine.
    I know I'm missing a lot of counter (FoW) due to the fact that I currently don't have the cards in my possession.
    I tried MoM and Sylvan safe keeper without succes. Played 4 wastelands for a while but ended up with mana problems.

Land (25)
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Kessig Wolf Run
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Savannah
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Taiga
    3x Tropical Island
    2x Tundra
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x maze of ith
    1x thespian stage
    1x dark depths

Planeswalker (1)
    1x Elspeth, knight-errant

Creature (14)
    1x Birds of Paradise
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    2x Vendillion Clique
    2x Scryb ranger
    1x Voice of Resurgence

Instant (12)
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Daze
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Chain of Vapor

Enchantment (4)
    3x Retreat to Coralhelm
    1x Sylvan Library

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

I'm currently thinking about fixing the lands (choosing between KWR + Taiga OR dark depths + stage instead of both).
    Maybe adding a big creature in like Sigarda or Rafiq. Maybe add a crop rotation main deck.

Anyone experience with Soaring sea cliff instead of KWR?
    Tips are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezuri View Post
    I know I'm missing a lot of counter (FoW) due to the fact that I currently don't have the cards in my possession.
    I tried MoM and Sylvan safe keeper without succes. Played 4 wastelands for a while but ended up with mana problems.

Land (25)
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Kessig Wolf Run
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Savannah
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Taiga
    3x Tropical Island
    2x Tundra
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x maze of ith
    1x thespian stage
    1x dark depths

Planeswalker (1)

Creature (14)
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    2x Vendillion Clique
    2x Scryb ranger
    1x Voice of Resurgence

Instant (12)
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Daze
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Chain of Vapor

Enchantment (4)
    3x Retreat to Coralhelm
    1x Sylvan Library

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

I'm currently thinking about fixing the lands (choosing between KWR + Taiga OR dark depths + stage instead of both).
    Maybe adding a big creature in like Sigarda or Rafiq. Maybe add a crop rotation main deck.

Anyone experience with Soaring sea cliff instead of KWR?
    Tips are most welcome!
    Kotr and retreat to coral helm combo is amazing.

I'll be testing this deck for the new meta. The only thing I was worried about was instant speed Terminus while going off, and now that that's gone, I think this deck is positioned even better.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Miracles was definitely not a great match-up, and it could help. If Decay drops and Push takes its place, that does give Knight more play as well. Moreover, there seem to be 2 categories of decks with a lot of hype at the moment: strong decks that were held back by miracles now looking to capitalize on the power vacuum (especially Elves, also Blood Moon decks, Lands, and Storm), and formerly Tier 2 fair decks that were totally oppressed by Terminus (Maverick etc.). The latter camp, along side the rising grindy UBGx decks (Czech Pile, BUG Delver) are a great target for an midrange/combo deck that can go over the top of everything they're doing.

As before, though, the large number of removal spells floating around in the fair decks -- and Decay in particular -- leave Knight a bit vulnerable.

With the 3 TNN in your list, I think the deck has a valid plan for playing straight through spot removal. If it really becomes a problem then maybe 4 TNN will be enough of a plan B, or a walker that keeps "making" guys like Nissa VF or Garruk Relentless.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Sure, TNN is strong at dodging things that Knight struggles with.

Overall, as I think about where I want to be, I love the idea of midrange-combo for the reasons mentioned, and Retreat and Natural Order are the contenders. At the moment, I think I prefer NO for (1) the strength of Leovold, DRS, and black disruption, (2) the relative vulnerability of Knight to removal in the most widely-played fair colors, (3) how much easier NO is to set up, and (4) the slow speed of the format, which is vulnerable to Progenitus.

Excerpted from Bant thread

I hope I'm in the right place to post this:
    Is nobody playing a Bant list like this?

Land (25)
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Kessig Wolf Run
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Savannah
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Taiga
    3x Tropical Island
    2x Tundra
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x maze of ith
    1x thespian stage
    1x dark depths

Planeswalker (1)

Creature (10)
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Vendillion Clique/Voice of resurgence

Instant (16)
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    2x Spell snare
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Chain of Vapor

Enchantment (4)
    3x Retreat to Coralhelm
    1x Sylvan Library

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Tips are most welcome!
    Here're quick thoughts:
    - Knight is a bit poorly positioned, since everything but RUG can kill her at a reasonable tempo cost to you, and she's pretty much your only threat. One of the big weaknesses of the deck is having Plan A Knight beats, Plan B Knight+Retreat, Plan C Knight Depths. You have lots of Knights, with GSZ, but if they keep killing them, Czech Pile will beat you to death with Strix before running out of removal. I originally ran Sigarda + 2 Clique main, and later went to Sigarda+TNN as my secondary beaters to blank all their removal, and Retreat+GSZ makes a T3 Sigarda if you think Knight is just going to die. I've played Rafiq as a fun-off, with TNN, but I don't think anything beats Sigarda at dodging what Knight is weak to.
    - Definitely you don't want both land packages. Here's how to think of them: Knight+Retreat already wins the game, alone, with 2 lands and up to 6-7ish blockers. In particular, you can nearly always hit 20 damage against the combo decks of the format by ending the fetch chain by double-wasting them (or yourself) and never needing special lands. There are 2 main reasons to play one of them:
    - First, if you have active Knight (without Retreat), and they don't have removal, you often win. But, KWR or Depths helps break ground stalls and accelerate your clock, especially against TNN. Depths is usually better at this in most board states (maybe 80/20), especially because if they don't have removal, you can use Steppe to push it through Strix or something. The main advantage of KWR is being 1 turn faster, if you can fetch out Taiga, in grindier games where the extra points of damage are enough.
    - Second, if you have active Knight+Retreat, as above, you often win. However, sometimes you don't: if you're too low on life to use all your fetches, if they have active DRS or grave hate that has reduced your gy land count, if they've gained life from StP or Batterskull, or if they have TNN, they you want a reliable out, and both KWR and Depths usually beat all of these scenarios. KWR+Dork lets you get in for an extra 12 or so trample damage, which typically closes a gap and beats TNN. Depths lets you combo on their turn, tap down their whole team, and swing with 2 lethal-isn guys with Steppe backup. When this comes up, KWR is better (maybe 65/35), since you don't have to pass the turn. Passing the turn opens you up to un-tap-down-able threats (TNN or pro-blue (SoFI?)), DRS, and Burn. If you're that low on life, KWR is potentially constrained by your ability to fetch, but Depths definitely is. Incidentally, Depths is more resilient against instant-speed sweepers, but the SDT ban significantly reduced the importance of this.
    - Third and smaller, naturally drawing KWR is better than Stage, but more often worse than drawing Depths+Stage. This is probably a wash.

Overall, I find that the first scenario (active Knight taking over, ideally with Depths) is much more common than the second (needing to get extra points, which may be needed ASAP, which therefore wants KWR), so I will be sticking to Depths. (And probably a maindeck Crop Rotation.)

@Anwei,

Thank you very much for the tips. I'm active on your thread aswel. Though there is very little discussion going on I gave this thread a shot.
    How would you tweak my list? Sigarda, Elspeth, Rafiq, crop rotation, clique, drs etc are all in my possession. TNN is not.

So in your opinion Depths + stage > KWR + Taiga?
    If you don't have TNN, I'd probably stick with Sigarda + 2 Cliques. Leovold may be worth it if you want to run 1-2 DRS as tutorable GY hate, and Depths is more forgiving of running DRS. I'd run Depths. You also need a few more blue cards for FoW (it's always tight). Maybe a pair of Ponders over Library and GSZ.

Feb 2016
    Holland

With your advice in mind I came up with this 62 card list

Land (24)
    1# Dryad Arbor
    2# Forest
    1# Karakas
    4# Misty Rainforest
    1# Savannah
    1# Sejiri Steppe
    3# Tropical Island
    2# Tundra
    2# Wasteland
    4# Windswept Heath
    1# Maze of ith
    1# Thespian’s stage
    1# Dark Depths

Planeswalker (1)
    1# Elspeth, Knight-errant

Creature (12)
    1# Birds of Paradise
    3# Noble Hierarch
    4# Knight of the Reliquary
    1# Qasali Pridemage
    2# Vendillion Clique
    1# Sigarda, Host of herons

Instant (17)
    4# Swords to Plowshares
    4# Brainstorm
    4# Daze
    2# Force of Will
    2# Chain of Vapor
    1# Crop Rotation

Enchantment (4)
    3# Retreat to Coralhelm
    1# Sylvan Library

Sorcery (4)
    4# Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard (15)
    1# Invasive surgery
    2# Meddling mage
    1# scavenging ooze
    1# Gaddock Teeg
    1# Bojuka Bog
    2# Surgical extraction
    1# Garruk relentless
    1# Krosan Grip
    1# Glacial Chasm
    2# Choke
    2# Pithing Needle

Took out the KWR + Taiga (you are right about the depths and the fact that Knight by itself usually means kill).
    Added sigarda as a beater that dodges whatever kills knight.

Curious on your thoughts!

Played this list at a local event over the weekend.

Land (23)

1x Bayou
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Savannah
    1x Thespian's Stage
    3x Tropical Island
    2x Tundra
    1x Underground Sea
    2x Wasteland
    3x Windswept Heath

Creature (11)

1x Birds of Paradise
    1x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2x Noble Hierarch
    1x True-Name Nemesis

Instant (16)

4x Brainstorm
    1x Crop Rotation
    3x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Sorcery (5)

4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Ponder

Planeswalker (1)

1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Enchantment (4)

3x Retreat to Coralhelm
    1x Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)

1x Bojuka Bog
    2x Faerie Macabre
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Invasive Surgery
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Life from the Loam
    1x Path to Exile
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Zealous Persecution

I liked the deck, played a Bant version of it to some success before the top banning, and miracles was easily the worst matchup so I figured I'd give it another shot. Borrowed the Dark Depths idea from here, I think it's probably better than Wolf-run in most cases, but if you're trying to combo against a TNN deck that knows what's up you'd have to save Sejiri Steppe to get through or hope to kill with Marit Lage.

Definitely regretting not playing the Sejiri Steppe, but I wanted to try Leo and TNN so I ended up playing a very awkward Underground Sea. I think I'll probably cut the TNN, with Stoneforge the other decks that play it are just better equipped (ha ha) to running it and it's just making my mana bad as a one of. I think the black is a necessary evil to play some number of sideboard answers to TNN, and the random Deathrite is handy sometimes.

Thinking something like:

- 1x True Name Nemesis
    - 1x Leovold

+ 1x Tarmogoyf? (I wanted something with a decent body at 2CMC for GSZ a few times during the event, could also maindeck a pridemage)
    + 1x Blue Card; maybe Jace, used to play 2x maindeck.

-1x Underground Sea
    +1x Sejiri Steppe

Maybe move Karakas to the SB for a Scrubland? I think only one black source might be a bit greedy, as the True name decks tend to play wasteland.

The deck feels like it could be pretty decent with some tuning though; Against fair decks you can randomly kill them with Knight/Retreat/Dark Depths, and with GSZ/Force/Daze/Crop Rotation you have pretty reasonable game against the combo decks. The only issue is that Knight dies to everything, but that's always been true, and it's possible that Decay will go down in value some with Counterbalance no longer being a thing. Regardless, the deck is fun, most folks don't know what to put me on, and it contains all of my favorite things to play in Legacy.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I heard that some one Top 8'ed Quest for Power with this, I wonder if it's some one from here.

That's awesome - I'd love to see that.
    I haven't played in over a year, but have been poking around since the bannings, and initially put NO Bant together as my Knight-deck combo of choice. I'm inclined to think that Progenitus doesn't have a lot of speed/removal predators, and 1 card has always been easier to find than 2. But 3 mana is a lot cheaper than 4, and I do love incentives to play 4 Knight...

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I think Pro will depend on how many players pick up Miracles and pack 4 Terminus in an era with a lot more Stifles.

Yea, this is definitely the point where having not played in a year makes the evaluation more difficult: I don't take that deck very seriously :)

Feb 2016
    New England region USA

Has anybody played this or any variation lately? I am looking at another "fun" deck to pick up and play around with and this has been on my radar since I saw the deck tech in 2015.
    Belcher Aficionado. Lover of Burning Wish.
    Decks I Play/Pimped:
    Experimental Doomsday
    Bizarro Stormy
    TES
    ScapeWish
    UBr Tezzerator/Painter brews

Thread Information