Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: GP SeaTac

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Re: GP SeaTac

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Ah, the dangers of relaying a thirdhand story without fact checking. To those saying that the story seems unbelievable - well, the details certainly are off. I went back to the guy who told it to me and he said that he heard it from fellow judges, and while the details might be off, the story of destroying "counterfeits" that were actually real was true. So, maybe this falls under urban legend until we get corroboration from other judges at the event.

The head judge definitely has the jurisdiction to destroy counterfeits. He's acting as the representative of Wizards, and their policy is that counterfeits are violation of their IP and damaging to the integrity of tournaments. I've heard of ripping up counterfeits at multiple tournaments.

Well, you're right to question it. If I had done basic fact checking I would have learned that you're exactly right with the numbers of missing cards.

I'd like to learn more about this story too.
    I'm also going to call total BS on this, I haven't heard from a single fellow judge that that was what transpired. We definitely don't have the authority to destroy people's property under any circumstance.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I wish the judge would've handed him two revised REBs and told him to go fuck himself. That would've been a fun story
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Bryant Cook

A TES player I met/played against had his deck stolen during a side event. If anyone knows anything, please message me.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I'm also going to call total BS on this, I haven't heard from a single fellow judge that that was what transpired. We definitely don't have the authority to destroy people's property under any circumstance.
    I've been told exactly that: the counterfeits are still that player's property. Story is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    A TES player I met/played against had his deck stolen during a side event. If anyone knows anything, please message me.
    :( That sucks
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Why Volcanic Fallout? Well, I killed Owen too quickly in game 2 to see anything beyond Island and 2 Brainstorm. So I put him on Miracles and brought the Fallout to deal with his Meddling Mages.

Turns out he wasn't on Miracles and I got lucky. Funny story, though.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I heard this accounting from a L2 judge, in recounting to a fellow L2 judge in the middle of Day 1. While the details were a bit sparse, the story is simialar to what phazonmutant shared.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

GP SeaTac

*snip*
    Last edited by Allcoin; 11-10-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Didn't read later comments
    Using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
    Tacoma, WA

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    GP was great despite losing on the bubble to a stoned fish people man. Shoutouts to nedleeds, alphastryk, sdematt, Warfordium, D@n, .dk, Dragonslayer_90, Jeff Chen & James Hsu (forgot y'all's source names!), and all the others who came to Seattle and said hi!

The commentary is atrocious, really makes me not interested in watching the VODs. There is so much dead air, and there's something about Huey's voice or the way he speaks that I find unpleasant to listen to.

Here's a fun story from a judge this weekend:

Player A casts a Beta Red Elemental Blast. Player B immediately calls a judge because he thinks it's counterfeit - too glossy. So a coven of judges are assembled to inspect these two REBs in his deck, and indeed they determine that they are fake. As per protocol, the head judge, Chris Richter, rips up the cards. They go back to the player, issue a game loss and disqualification (yes, both...because policy). He insists that can't be correct though, because he just bought them from ChannelFireball! So the Head Judge goes to the CFB booth and shows the pieces of the cards, and the owner of CFB stares at Richter...then asks if he remembers the five cards that were mistakenly left out of Alpha. Guess what? Red Elemental Blast is one of those, and is in a different print run then the rest of Beta! Those REBs were real, the penalty was erroneous, and Richter just ripped up a player's (expensive) property! Even worse, CFB is out of Beta REBs. The owner of CFB, being the good TO he is, immediately goes to another vendor, buys 2 REBs, and the HJ has to go back to the player and explain that the penalty was overturned, he's not DQ'd, and sorry for ripping up your cards.
    I can't say on what happened that caused it but yes I saw judges with said ripped REB. I was wondering why they were scrambling with a ripped up card. They were huddled at the hot sauce booth while I was at T&T.

As Pyro/red blasts are modal, if the goal is to destroy an annoying blue permanent in play, REB is better since it's not easily Misdirected/Diverted/Commandeered and the opponent must chose a legal target for it. Therefore the chance of it fizzling is 0. This situation may come up when playing combo/control decks that are not actually Storm, Painter or YP-based.

tl;dr Pyroblast and REB aren't equivalent cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Moral of the story: use pyroblast.
    Moral of the story: REB is available in Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised, Fourth edition. No BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Why Volcanic Fallout? Well, I killed Owen too quickly in game 2 to see anything beyond Island and 2 Brainstorm. So I put him on Miracles and brought the Fallout to deal with his Meddling Mages.

Turns out he wasn't on Miracles and I got lucky. Funny story, though.

If that was you on camera, that was pretty sweet. It made me proud to be Canadian, let alone from Toronto.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    If that was you on camera, that was pretty sweet. It made me proud to be Canadian, let alone from Toronto.
    It was. It was great. :)

Thread Information