Thread: Foreign Cards at Competitive REL

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Foreign Cards at Competitive REL

Now that you can't use electronic devices during a match at competitive REL anymore, is there a way to provide yourself or opponent with translations for obscure foreign cards other than judge calls? I found this in the tournament rules:

Players may refer to Oracle text, either electronically or in paper form, at any time. They must do so publicly and
    in a format (such as gatherer.wizards.com, other official Wizards of the Coast sources, or printouts of their
    sources) which contains no other strategic information. If a player wishes to view Oracle text in private, he or she
    must ask a judge.
    Does that mean you can use your phone as long as you're just checking oracle wording in view of both players? If paper form is acceptable, can you just print proxies as long as you keep them separate from your deck?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Foreign Cards at Competitive REL

I don't know about checking your mobile, but I do know one of the judges locally said to those that headed to the GP in Japan to print up Proxies. They where in Japanese, in off colour sleeves printed in black and white. No issues came of them from what I am told.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Talk to the judge to get oracle text.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Now that you can't use electronic devices during a match at competitive REL anymore, is there a way to provide yourself or opponent with translations for obscure foreign cards other than judge calls? I found this in the tournament rules:

Does that mean you can use your phone as long as you're just checking oracle wording in view of both players? If paper form is acceptable, can you just print proxies as long as you keep them separate from your deck?
    Normally you just call a judge. The proxy idea Dice confirmed seems fine.

Most of the time if someone isn't familiar with my Italian Chains of Meph, I just summarize it in magic-speak* and then go as far as to suggest they call a judge if they're even remotely unfamiliar. This means when they see the oracle text they'll hopefully understand how everything works; rather than just be confused.

*It replaces extra card draws with Mill if you're Hellbent, or a discard-then-draw if you're not (kinda like a red loot)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

I'm fine if they are confused.

I have fat fingers and I am posting from my iPhone.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post

I'm not 100% familiar with current policy, but I'd expect electronic Oracle text to still be mostly verboten. Proxies or just printed pages would be fine, and that's what some people would do back before "electronic devices" were really a thing. Just make sure the text is accurate and there's nothing else there besides Oracle information. If doing "proxies" they should be very obviously not real cards.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Has anyone researched how much oracle text there actually is?

I wonder what the cost of printing a full oracle textbook would be.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I wonder what the cost of printing a full oracle textbook would be.
    Depending on how you format the cards and/or their text, you'd be looking at 1600-3000ish pages. Plus a mandatory reprint with the release of every expansion set and many of the supplementary sets.

For reference, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is something around 700 pages.

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Depending on how you format the cards and/or their text, you'd be looking at 1600-3000ish pages. Plus a mandatory reprint with the release of every expansion set and many of the supplementary sets.

For reference, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is something around 700 pages.
    War and Peace has 1156 to 1455 pages.

Thread Information