Thread: Phasing + Fading

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Phasing + Fading

I was thinking of Comboing Teferi's Realm and Parallax Tide (probably in casual) and was pretty sure it works; not 100% though.

Basically; on your upkeep when you'd remove a fade-counter, the sac trigger goes on the stack when there are none, but if the permanent is phased out; I'm pretty sure you can't sacrifice it. This turns Parallax Tide into a "Destroy 5 lands spell" if you have Realm, as you nuke up to 5 right away, and then you don't remove counters when you don't need to nuke a land.

E.G.
    Realm in Play, play TIde, nuke 3 lands
    Opp plays land
    Upkeep, stack looks like:
    Realm
    Tide
    Remove a counter from Tide to nuke the land they put out, realm phases enchantments so Tide's Fade trigger fizzles

This probably isn't legacy playable unless you figure out how to get Realm to be good or Tide to be good normally; but I thought we could solve it anywho.

EDIT: A few other Realm interactions that are neat:
    opp BSK + realm? Fade Artifacts so the germ dies
    Control tokens or manlands? Fade creatures so your tokens/manlands can attack unblocked
    Counterbalance got you down? Fade enchants :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Re: Phasing + Fading

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I was thinking of Comboing Teferi's Realm and Parallax Tide (probably in casual) and was pretty sure it works; not 100% though.

Basically; on your upkeep when you'd remove a fade-counter, the sac trigger goes on the stack when there are none, but if the permanent is phased out; I'm pretty sure you can't sacrifice it. This turns Parallax Tide into a "Destroy 5 lands spell" if you have Realm, as you nuke up to 5 right away, and then you don't remove counters when you don't need to nuke a land.
    You're correct; phased out permanents are treated as if they don't exist and you can neither remove a counter from nor sacrifice something that doesn't exist.

With Parallax Tide there's of course the option of the "combo" of bouncing it with activations on the stack or even the full Opalescence + Parallax Wave.
    Last edited by cdr; 11-01-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    With Parallax Tide there's of course the option of the "combo" of bouncing it with activations on the stack
    The OG O-Ring trick.

May 2015
    PDX

Yeah, as long as the Realm is in play and you keep stacking it above fading trigger (and continually choose enchantments) you'll avoid returning the lands. Though you could also just deploy Tide on your turn, nuke 5 lands, and stifle the "when parallax tide leaves play trigger" on your next upkeep when it dies, which seems more feasible. If you really wanted to, you could also use it to burn them out with Ankh of Mishra

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    stifle the "when parallax tide leaves play trigger" on your next upkeep when it dies, which seems more feasible. If you really wanted to, you could also use it to burn them out with Ankh of Mishra
    lol I hadn't considered the Ankh!
    I had always considered Stifle; but there's a bonus that Realm has (though Stifle has the bonus of being playable) is that Realm allows you to exile a land here and there while still never paying the Fading upkeep.

Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information