Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Events

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Events

Link: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/31833_.html

Main points

* Reducing number of events
    * All but eliminating West Coast events
    * PIQs (the two big side events) downgraded to "Classics"
    * All side events pay out in prize wall tickets now pay out in prize wall tickets (and the conversion doesn't look good)
    * Artists at all Open weekends
    * Additional Vendors at all open weekends
    * Winning an invitational qualifies you for the PT, including travel expenses.
    * Legacy is removed from the invitationals

edit: missed some bullet points
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Event

So they cut Legacy for the Invitationals, and removed cash prizes the Sunday Legacy IQs? I suppose the only way they could have made this shittier would have been to remove Legacy entirely.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Event

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    So they cut Legacy for the Invitationals, and removed cash prizes the Sunday Legacy IQs? I suppose the only way they could have made this shittier would have been to remove Legacy entirely.
    Just wait for our exciting announcment in 2016! -Pete Hoefling (Not really, but wait for it.)

So, in other words everywhere but the East Coast and the maybe-sort-of-Mid-West (but not really) is screwed? Cool, thanks guys.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Sooo...

I don't want to be "that guy", but considering SCG Opens and IQs were the only thing holding Legacy together as a legitimate enterprise, Legacy's dead?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I was 50/50 on doing it anyways, but this new announcement = I'm definitely selling out of Legacy after the Seattle GP. There's no point in sitting on thousands of $$$ just to hit up weekly events. Peace y'all. It was fun while it lasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Perhaps SCG is privy to WoTC's long term magic plans, so it would be wise to reduce Legacy support if WoTC plans to enforce the Reserved List.

They had to change something. The EV for the legacy side events was insane.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

So they will eliminate IQ's on Sunday, replace it with this "Classic" thing and have less of a prize support than they already do? Are the Sunday events still gonna have $30 entry? So strange.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    This is true. I think the IQ they had in Dallas Ft.Worth you could go like 4-3 and still make T32 and make your $ back.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I'm in Canada....

We have 4 events+ a week, can't make them all.

Legacy survives, maybe it is even better without SCG's inbred meta

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    I was 50/50 on doing it anyways, but this new announcement = I'm definitely selling out of Legacy after the Seattle GP. There's no point in sitting on thousands of $$$ just to hit up weekly events. Peace y'all. It was fun while it lasted.
    Why would you play boring, 'get killed on turn 1', 'way too expensive' legacy when you can play the wizard approved constructed format of choice, standard! Where else can you play such overpowered cards as Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Some quick math...

Using the prize wall from GP Atlantan (which Pete referenced in this post), the exact conversion rate from tickets to cash value varies wildly. Using BFZ packs, which seem to have the best rate and are likely the easiest thing to move quickly, the rate is $0.395 per point.

If you can get full value for your points, the EV of every position but first actually goes up. That, however, is basically impossible. I haven't looked at their buylist but my guess is that the best EV will be to buy commander and FTV boxes, open them, and immediately sell back the singles.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I don't want to be "that guy", but considering SCG Opens and IQs were the only thing holding Legacy together as a legitimate enterprise, Legacy's dead?
    I don't know if legacy's dead but I'd these events probably are. Lots of people from the LGS used to drive 8 hours round trip and get a hotel to go to SCG's nearest event. I can't imagine any of them doing that for packs. IMO, these events will be purely for the people who are already playing in the open but scrub out early enough to play another format.

I think on a macro scale (i.e., lots of people playing lots of events around the country), this certainly hurts. However, the dramatic reduction in number of people may well drop the price on a lot of singles resulting in better legacy at your local as more people can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    Probably a good idea if for no other reason that it's going to be hard for prices to stay high with demand greatly reduced.
    Last edited by thecrav; 11-02-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: freaking Mac made that image huge
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

So the 2 big US events for Legacy confirmed for next year will be GP Columbus in June and the Open in Philadelphia in February. And then there is classics if you want to play in those for no cash prizes.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Sooo...

In the US? Maybe.

Didn't Europe just get the Bazaar of Moxen series for 2016?

I know this looks pretty grim for Legacy's future, but on another note...

KITTENS DRINKING MILK, ANYONE?

Hey tormod. I like that there's weekly legacy too but I do like going to the big tournaments too for big cash payouts as opposed to store credit or another scrubland to add to the pile. While scg still has an open for legacy in Philadelphia, I expect less than this year and no iq's suck. I wonder how good prize walls will be...

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    Yeah often I feel like prizes offered by non-WOTC tournament organizers are 'too good'. Like, you can often just do the math - these guys are making pennies. I don't play Magic for a living, I play Magic as a hobby and I prefer the scenario where there are more opportunities to play. People need to be okay with more moderate prize support for large non-WoTC events.

I think if you keep prize support super top-heavy you can keep things competitive while still having some profit margin. Prize support walls are the worst though, and the payouts are pretty tragic.

As much as this forum is (for good reasons) focused on the legacy-side of this announcement, the fact that SCG is having a rough time financially and can't even find a way to make West Coast events work is the bigger story here.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Sooo...

Not necessarily dead, but it's condition has been worsening over the past few years and doesn't look to be improving any time soon, so the life support systems are getting shut down.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

The "Prize Wall" part is particularly rough for Legacy players. Cash can cover the cost the event or get turned into needed Legacy or EDH cards. The "Prize Wall" linked in the announcement doesn't have any singles on it! I have zero interest in buying packs, so what is the incentive to play in the events at all now?
    InfoNinjas

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    As much as this forum is (for good reasons) focused on the legacy-side of this announcement, the fact that SCG is having a rough time financially and can't even find a way to make West Coast events work is the bigger story here.
    Makes me question why they do have a financial rough time. Is it just event locations getting more and more expensive or does it also calculate in that they can't milk Legacy players anymore with ever increasing prices on staples due to them cornering the market?

Thread Information