Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Events

bruizar

Re: SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Event

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Link: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/31833_.html

Main points

* Reducing number of events
    * All but eliminating West Coast events
    * PIQs (the two big side events) downgraded to "Classics"
    * All side events pay out in prize wall tickets now pay out in prize wall tickets (and the conversion doesn't look good)
    * Artists at all Open weekends
    * Additional Vendors at all open weekends
    * Winning an invitational qualifies you for the PT, including travel expenses.
    * Legacy is removed from the invitationals

edit: missed some bullet points
    No tournament worthy old cards left to inflate prices on, so support gone!

Oct 2011
    California

Re: SCG reducing number of events, changing to prize wall payouts for "Classic" Event

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    That's a good point. But unless I'm missing something, that would have been even more reason for them to keep two separately one-day Opens.
    While I strongly dislike the increasing cuts to Legacy at SCG events... the current two-day structure came of necessity. Maybe it's different for players, but toward the end of the one-day Open period (when it was really "Standard Open swiss rounds on Saturday, maybe quarterfinals too, rest of it Sunday morning") it was just destroying staff. I've done eleven rounds of swiss in a single day. I hope never to do that again.

Though I'm about to move to the west coast, so maybe I'll just never get to judge an Open again.

Quote Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
    While I strongly dislike the increasing cuts to Legacy at SCG events... the current two-day structure came of necessity. Maybe it's different for players, but toward the end of the one-day Open period (when it was really "Standard Open swiss rounds on Saturday, maybe quarterfinals too, rest of it Sunday morning") it was just destroying staff. I've done eleven rounds of swiss in a single day. I hope never to do that again.

Though I'm about to move to the west coast, so maybe I'll just never get to judge an Open again.
    Or you could cap the event

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    I was 50/50 on doing it anyways, but this new announcement = I'm definitely selling out of Legacy after the Seattle GP. There's no point in sitting on thousands of $$$ just to hit up weekly events. Peace y'all. It was fun while it lasted.
    You should probably wait until after New Years, this is usually a good time to buy and a not so good time to sell.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Well, they listened to at least a part of the feedback.... Store credit in the form of gift cards can be taken instead of selecting from the prize wall.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ouncement.html
    Last edited by Negator77'; 12-10-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    Well, they listed to at least a part of the feedback.... Store credit in the form of gift cards can be taken instead of selecting from the prize wall.

The one good decision SCG has made in over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    Well, they listened to at least a part of the feedback.... Store credit in the form of gift cards can be taken instead of selecting from the prize wall.

Please note: Store credit can be selected as an option from the Prize Wall. The cool thing is that we're giving the Store Credit in the form of Gift Cards, and we've added the technology to our sales booth to be able to take SCG Gift Cards (physical ones) as payment.

Pulling a random number out of a hat, but let's say you end up with $60 in Store Credit on your gift card. You can spend $30 at the booth that day, take the card home, put the code, and transfer the remaining $30 in credit to your online account! This way, if we don't have exactly what you want at the booth, you'll be able to take that credit and spend it on our website at a time of your choosing.

- Ben

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Please note: Store credit can be selected as an option from the Prize Wall. The cool thing is that we're giving the Store Credit in the form of Gift Cards, and we've added the technology to our sales booth to be able to take SCG Gift Cards (physical ones) as payment.

Pulling a random number out of a hat, but let's say you end up with $60 in Store Credit on your gift card. You can spend $30 at the booth that day, take the card home, put the code, and transfer the remaining $30 in credit to your online account! This way, if we don't have exactly what you want at the booth, you'll be able to take that credit and spend it on our website at a time of your choosing.

- Ben
    This is a vast improvment to the normal "prize wall system". SCG gets a touch rap a lot on here but at least they do listen and make some nice changes. That's a very positive change.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    SCG gets a touch rap a lot on here but at least they do listen and make some nice changes. That's a very positive change.
    But it's a change that should have already been policy. You shouldn't really need feedback to tell you that circus peanuts and ham sandwiches are not acceptable substitutes for cash equivalents.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I like the idea of gift cards - it's probably the easiest way to convert prize wall to actual cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    But it's a change that should have already been policy. You shouldn't really need feedback to tell you that circus peanuts and ham sandwiches are not acceptable substitutes for cash equivalents.
    But after a long day of grinding side events, someone might actually want circus peanuts and a ham sandwich.

This is great news, and makes these worth actually playing. They screwed up before, and credit (if not cash) should have been an option for any tournament this size, but far better to have listened than not.

Additionally, I certainly don't want SCG running non-viable Legacy events, losing money, and further withdrawing support, so, I think we'll benefit from hedged investment where lower attendance puts them out credit (where their cost is obviously lower on singles) instead of losing cash.

Do we know the conversion rates yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

It's 100 tix for $25. Means top8 equal to $450 credit

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Nocley View Post
    It's 100 tix for $25. Means top8 equal to $450 credit
    Which isn't bad overall compared to the joke offer before. It would result in 6k $ in store credit instead of 5k $ they paid out before. Top8 placements are worthless, though, aside from bragging rights.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Which isn't bad overall compared to the joke offer before. It would result in 6k $ in store credit instead of 5k $ they paid out before. Top8 placements are worthless, though, aside from bragging rights.
    I have to give SCG credit as this is still a pretty generous payment, but it should be noted that $5k cash is equivalent to $6250 credit in a more liquid form (since you straight up have the option of taking credit at a 25% premium). That being said, despite the lower payout, this is still an excellent reason to play in the Classics if SCG ever swings by your local area. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for their Opens or Invitationals: I would not even wake up to watch one from my computer, let alone take a trip to the local convention center or travel for one.

Thread Information