Thread: 12th SCG Dallas Legacy IQ - Miracles

12th SCG Dallas Legacy IQ - Miracles

SCG Dallas was about 100 players, and my 3rd SCG IQ. (My last two were the two previous Dallas IQs, as I’m originally from Dallas.) I had managed a top 32 showing in one previous, but nothing to write home about. The dig banning had moved a few lists around, and mine was no different. For the record though, I feel the dig banning made miracles stronger, not weaker, and welcomed it with open arms. The list I registered is here.

Round 1: ANT // David

My opponent and I shake hands and introduce ourselves, as I proceed to win the die roll. I keep a hand of Top, CB, 3 lands, Snapcaster, and whatever else. I lead with turn 1 top and my opponent answers with Fetch-Underground-Ponder-Shuffle. This leads me to believe I’ll be facing reanimator or ANT, but he never makes it 100% certain which, as I establish the lock on turn 2, and run away with the game from there. Game 2 goes a bit differently. Still unsure what my opponent is on, I sideboard as such:

OUT
    -4 Terminus
    -3 Swords to Plowshares (1 stays for Xantid Swarm,)
    -2 Jace
    -1 Entreat
    -1 Council’s Judgement

IN
    +1 Containment Priest
    +1 Izzet Staticaster (Xantid, Empty the Warrens)
    +1 Meddling Mage
    +2 Mentor
    +1 Rest in Peace
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Pyroblast
    +1 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Vendilion Clique

Game 2 starts interestingly. I keep a hand containing top and Meddling Mage, but it’s still unclear whether Meddling Mage will be good. The game starts basically in the same fashion, with him probing and pondering turn 1, my laying a turn 1 top. Turn 2 I cast Meddling Mage, which he lets come down. I name Infernal Tutor, figuring I would’ve at least seen an entomb or careful study, or just really anything in game 1. This turns out to be correct—I draw pretty dead most of the game, as he eventually end of turn decays my mage (who had now put him to 9,) and goes off. “I knew it,” I say. He laughs, saying he thought I might name Reanimate, and even hoped as such. Onto game 3 we go.

This one was very close, and drew quite a crowd. My opening hand is just disgusting, 2 lands, Top, Flusterstorm, Counterspell, Force of Will, Rest in Peace. I lead with turn 1 top (they always have it,) and pass. He therapies on turn 2, which I let resolve. Figuring I’ll lose my force anyway, there’s no reason to pitch another card for free. To my surprise, he names Counterbalance. I reveal my hand, and David shakes his head. Eventually I land a mentor to put pressure onto the board, along with rest in peace to stop any past in flames kill. Meddling mage makes its way to the board, and I name Abrupt Decay. I felt my hand was strong enough to challenge an Infernal Tutor, should he fire one off, and would rather protect my RiP, and the two creatures that were slowly whittling the game away. Eventually, my opponent casts Ad Nauseam from 15 life and goes to 8. I swing him to 4 and pass back. I have a counterbalance on board, with a top, but very little mana. He begins to go off, leading with cabal ritual. Resolves. Dark rit, dark rit, 50,000 mana in the pool. Sure thing. “Infernal tutor?” he asks. I reveal the counterbalance sitting on top of my deck and he extends the hand.

1-0

Round 2: Lands // Chris

Chris Andersen is my opponent this round, whom is apparently a notable player, but I’m unfamiliar. Game 1 I land the lock, but I never find a 2 drop to deal with the loam engine, or punishing fire. Eventually he makes a 20/20, and that’s the end of that one.

OUT:
    -4 Terminus
    -3 Swords to Plowshares

IN:
    +1 Meddling Mage
    +2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Rest in Peace
    +1 Surgical Extraction
    +1 Wear/Tear
    +1 From the Ashes

Game 2 goes a bit better for us. A decently early meddling mage comes down, and having not seen a loam yet, I name punishing fire. His hand is a bit slow and doesn’t really do much for quite some time. I find From the Ashes, which ends up being the nail in the coffin as entreat comes down to finish things off.

Game 3 was especially spicy, as I was fortunate enough to draw a lot of sideboard hate. Turn 2 I am able to surgically extract loam. The next turn he trinispheres, which buys a force. After a few turns of draw go, a trinisphere sneaks through. With no countermagic in hand, it hits the board. Next turn, he slams Choke off the top. Ugh, okay. But miracles did for me what miracles does best—deliver a miracle. Wear/Tear off the top answers both in one fell swoop, followed by more draw, go. Jace eventually begins fatesealing and looks to put the game away. This is where things get interesting. I Jacestorm on my turn, find From the Ashes, and cast it, knowing he can make a Marit Lage. I don’t have swords however—a huge oversight. I should’ve taken Ashes, passed, cast Ashes next turn, then bounce the token with Jace. Regardless, we both destroy all of our non-basics. I’m left with 7 or so lands, and he with 1 forest and a Marit Lage. After shuffling, I cut his deck, as he slumps back in his chair. “Top?” I ask. “Yes.” I pick up the top 3 cards of my deck. “Wait, I didn’t cut your deck,” he says. I explain to him that it’s too late, and I had even cut his deck. “I’d like to cut your deck.” “Let’s call a judge then.” The judge comes over and quickly rules in my favor, which he appeals. I have no problem with appealing, as the system basically encourages every call to be appealed if it matters much at all. The head judge comes over and gets both of our stories, which are generally the same. The only difference being Chris saying he “wasn’t given time to cut the deck.” After a few minutes of conversation, the head judge upholds the ruling. The top activation has already begun, and it’s too late. I set the cards down and pass. “Swing for 20.” I draw with top. Swords to plowshares is the top card on the deck—the singleton that’s left after board. He scoops his cards up, signs the slips, throws it down on the table, and walks away, leaving everything behind, to discuss things with the judge. I simply pack up my deck and walk away.

2-0

Round 3: Shardless BUG // Michael

This is the matchup I really hoped to dodge, other than the corner case decks of 12-Post (which top 8’ed,) and Goblins. I’m on the draw for game 1, and keep a slow, rather do-nothing hand, whose only notable qualities are force + ponder, in case this is some cheeky bastard on charbelcher. Turns out, it’s not, as he suspends Visions on turn 1. Turn 2 hymn leaves me with only 4 lands, and shardless wins in the fashion it’s designed to. Attrition, and stifling amounts of card advantage.

OUT:
    -4 Counterbalance
    -4 Force of Will

IN:
    +1 Izzet Staticaster
    +1 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Rest in Peace
    +1 Pyroblast
    +1 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Wear/Tear
    +1 From the Ashes
    +1 Pyroclasm

I feel like I boarded this one pretty incorrectly, as I’ve always struggled with this matchup, even on decks other than miracles. I actually expected Bitterblossom, as our local Shardless player runs it in on me, which explains Staticaster and Pyroclasm to some extent. Clasm is also just a good answer to Shardless Agents, Deathrites, and Goyfs if you can land a Rest in Peace. As with most Shardless-Miracles matches, nothing very notable happens. A slow, grindy game ends when I’m forced to Entreat for 1 and the token is promptly abrupt decayed.

2-1

Round 4: Infect // David

Game 1 versus David is rather unfortunate, as he mulligans all the way to 4 while on the play. My hand has both lock pieces with a force behind it. He lays a Windswept Heath and passes turn. I crack for Island, and play top. David draws his card, and passes the turn back again. I lay counterbalance and say go. David draws one more card and concedes. Now I’m forced to sideboard off: 1) A deck that can mulligan to 4, and 2) A deck that runs Windswept Heath. I take a shot in the dark and put him on Maverick, figuring the board plan for that can’t be too far off whatever he *is* playing.

OUT
    -2 Jace
    -2 Force of Will (I left 2 because I literally have no idea what he’s on.)
    -1 Predict

IN
    +1 Izzet Staticaster
    +2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Rest in Peace

Game 2, he first lays Blighted Agent, to which I reply “well damn.” An inkmoth nexus and the agent both team up to put me to 5 poison, but David begins to run out of gas. I terminus the blighted agent and a noble hierarch, and eventually find an Izzet Staticaster which keeps Inkmoth Nexus at bay for the remainder of the game. Monastery Mentor teams up with Tiago to polish things off. Despite the bad luck, David was a good sport and simply proclaimed, “That’s magic.”

3-1

Round 5: American Stoneblade // Shane

Our game 1, I was quite convinced this was the mirror. I go for turn 1 top, which he forces. I then go for turn 2 counterbalance, which gets spell snared. Them’s the beats, I guess. I end up losing this one to Jace, and only see Mishra’s Factory, Jace, and Snapcaster out of my opponent. I sideboard assuming this is miracles.

OUT
    -4 Swords to Plowshares
    -3 Terminus

IN
    +2 Monastery Mentor
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Pyroblast
    +1 Vendilion Clique

Game 2, I realize just how wrong I was. Turn 2 Stoneforge Mystic resolves, followed by a turn 3 True-Name Nemesis. With only 1 Terminus in the deck, I dig as hard as I can, but it’s no use.

3-2

Round 6: Dredge // Stefan

Game 1 is about how you expect game 1 to go when you have no way to interact with dredge. Turn 1 Careful Study bins two Golgari-Grave Trolls, and from there my hand is shredded by Cabal Therapies, as his army of 1/1 zombies demolishes me with little hope.

OUT:
    -4 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Council’s Judgement
    -2 Entreat the Angels

IN:
    +1 Containment Priest
    +1 Izzet Staticaster
    +1 Meddling Mage
    +1 Rest in Peace
    +1 Surgical Extraction
    +2 Monastery Mentor

Game 2 I keep a greedy hand, with no real hate cards, but it does have 3 fetches, a top, and a brainstorm. I lead with turn 1 top, and he begins doing what dredge does best, filling his yard. I draw, and proceed to play turn 2 Meddling Mage, naming Cabal Therapy. My reasoning is therapy is what lets the deck really get out of control when there are multiple Bridges. With Stefan 20 or 30 cards deep into his grave, he’s managed to not hit much of anything. I draw and play Rest in Peace, and Meddling Mage goes the distance next to his buddy Monastery Mentor.

Game 3, Stefan mulligans to 5 and lays a land. Over the course of the next few turns he proceeds to *cast* 3 Narcomoebas, and 2 Stinkweed Imps. You read that right: Cast. Terminus takes care of this, as I eventually throw Snapcaster down and let him finish things off. I ask Stefan afterward if this was some spicy matchup tech he knew, banking on me taking out all copies of removal and overrunning me. He laughed and said no, and tells me just how bad his hand was. I shake his hand and wish him good luck in the last round, as he’s still live for top 32.

4-2

Round 7: Sneak and Show // Derek

Derek tells me he is friends with the storm player from round 1, and watched my match earlier. We discuss it a bit as we’re shuffling. The tables aren’t even though, as I don’t know what he’s on. I assemble the lock on turn 2, but Derek goes for Show and Tell on turn 3. I have no countermagic. “Trigger,” I say. I flip the top card. Council’s Judgement. Phew. I spin the top on my upkeep, and draw ponder, keeping on top Jace and Council’s Judgement. As rare as it is to get a lock so quickly on 3 and 4, it happens. I counter 3 Sneak Attacks and 2 more Show and Tells over the next 10 turns or so, and we go onto game 2.

Out:
    -4 Swords to Plowshares
    -4 Terminus
    -1 Council’s Judgement

In:
    +1 Containment Priest
    +1 Meddling Mage
    +2 Monastery Mentor
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Pyroblast
    +1 Red Elemental Blast
    +1 Vendilion Clique

Game 2 I keep a hand with the lock in hand, but no force. Derek leads with Ancient Tomb. “Lotus Petal? Sure. Show and Tell? Oh god.” I put Counterbalance into play, and Derek lays down Sneak Attack. With Council’s Judgement gone, I have zero ways to deal with a Sneak that gets onto the table. ‘Great, now Derek lays Volcanic Island next turn and I’m dead,’ I think. I lay Top for my turn 1 and pass. Derek plays Volcanic… and passes. Counterbalance manages to stop his cantripping, and I come to an interesting situation. Meddling Mage comes down. I look through his graveyard. I want to name a cantrip, I think, but not one that I play and could cut myself off of. I name Overmaster. Afterward, Derek says he’d likely name Echoing Truth, but can respect naming Overmaster (I had seen him attempt one in game 2.) I end up slamming Jace on turn 4, knowing time is of the essence, and start fatesealing. I end up bottoming two Griselbrands, and Derek extends his hand.

5-2

And that was all she wrote. I had remarkable tiebreakers, and was the 2nd highest of the 15-pointers I believe, earning that sweet, sweet playmat. I would honestly register this exact 75 if I were to play another tournament very soon, as I was very happy with the configuration I was on. So, if you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading. 
    Last edited by Intricate08; 11-03-2015 at 03:13 AM.

Re: 12th SCG Dallas Legacy IQ - Miracles

You probably want to keep in Swords to Plowshares vs. Lands (hits Marit Lage, gives you time to set up Countertop lock and Jace) and Dredge (hits Ichorid).

EDIT: you also probably want to keep some number of Swords, and maybe even Terminus, vs. Miracles (hits Staticaster, Mentor, Clique, Snapcaster, Sulfur Elemental, etc.)

A few people have suggested keeping swords versus lands. I had previously thought it better to attack the loam engine itself, and the graveyard, but I'll definitely be re-considering, and will give StP a shot.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate08 View Post
    A few people have suggested keeping swords versus lands. I had previously thought it better to attack the loam engine itself, and the graveyard, but I'll definitely be re-considering, and will give StP a shot.
    You have the right idea, but if your trying to assemble the combo quickly (ponder>draw>CB), that can leave you vulnerable for the player to assemble the combo and get a token, at which point you're relying on councils judgement to get the job done, which can be awkward given you probably want to play around wasteland). Would keep two in and probably cut the judgement, it's too expensive and worse then wear/tear or disenchant if you want to simply hit their enchantments/artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Great job! I played a very similar 60 this weekend as well. Your sideboard might be a bit unbalanced since you don't have enough good answers to bring in for some matchups. For example, you're boarding out the correct 8 cards against shardless, but you don't have a good set of 8 to necessarily bring in.

ANT -- You should take out both entreats and probably a plains while leaving in two swords instead of just one. I'm not a fan of containment priest or mentors. You're never going to want to tap 3 mana for mentor and priest doesn't do anything but offer 2 power on the board. Pyroclasm is probably a good answer to tokens and wear/tear is a decent answer to LED/carpet.

Lands -- Taking out all but one StP seems insane! I usually keep 3-4 in depending on how fast their build of the deck is (i.e., if they play intuition, gamble, tolaria west)

Shardless BUG -- Since you're only playing 2 volcs, it's risky to bring in 6 red cards. The only ones you really want are blasts to stop jace and visions.

Infect -- if you don't see much of the opponents deck, it's usually safe to bring in wear/tear as a general answer against most miracles hate.

Dredge -- StP is great against surviving the first couple turns against dredge while you're finding your graveyard hate. Also, you want your red blasts to either stop careful study or to kill your creatures.

I was your round 4 opponent, and I played your round 6 opponent in round 7. I came into round 7 at 38th, he was 40th. Continuing my awesome string of luck from round 4, here is how I ended up after defeating him: http://i.imgur.com/oBlzilH.jpg
    Level 2 Judge

Thread Information