Thread: Vintage Champs 15th with Bomberman

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Vintage Champs 15th with Bomberman

** Disclaimer: I know this is the "Other Legacy Discussion" section, but there isn't a tournament results thread in Vintage on The Source, and I honestly prefer The Source to The Mana Drain. **

Vintage. Champion.

Two words could not possibly evoke in me a more powerful lust for victory. Pro Tour Champion? There are several a year. Vintage Champion means mastery of the oldest and most skill-testing format in Magic, a long day of showing off car-values of individual cards, and enjoyable matches against opponents who are almost invariably mature, well-established, and dedicated enough to be interested in and afford vintage.

Needless to say I was interested in Eternal Weekend 2015. I was dismayed to fall short of winning the event, but I’m proud of a 15th-place finish with Chromium Bomberman (obviously the oldest format uses the Elder Dragons to name color combinations), and hopefully I can entertain you with this report. My list:
    3 Trinket Mage
    2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2 Monastery Mentor
    2 Auriok Salvagers

1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Snare
    1 Brainstorm
    2 Dig Through Time
    1 Vampiric Tutor

1 Time Walk
    1 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Demonic Tutor

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mana Crypt

2 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Tolarian Academy

// Sideboard
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Devout Witness
    2 Disenchant
    1 Karakas
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Containment Priest

I.
    Papa Tusk Sean O’Brien (O’Brien School of Magic founder, worshipper of Mishra) emailed me approximately 3 minutes after Eternal Weekend 2015 was officially announced and had rooms for Team Tusk (#tuskup) booked by day end. Yeah he was looking forward to this too. I am not as organized and booked my flights a rather desultory couple months later. That didn’t stop me from testing though! I had been solidly on Raka (URw) Delver since before GP Vegas in June, but the winning VSL deck, Grixis Cabal Therapy Control, seemed like a better version, and the aggro Workshops (“Frobots”) dominating Northeast events also seemed like a miserable matchup. Oh, and it just didn’t feel “vintage” enough. That left me floundering. Was I really going to subject myself to playing Workshops again after my miserable performance last year? I’d been noticing some errant Bomberman sightings in top 8s (GP Atlantic City most notably), and the deck looked sweet, but that archetype hasn’t been good since...well, ever right?

Fortunately the NYSE Open had an awesome turnout with great decks in the top 8. Brian Ritter (note that name) made the quarters with another Esper Bomberman place. Ok, that list was untuned, but it’s worth a shot, and there was some solid theory behind the deck. For a while the best decks have been Bolt-based aggro-control or combo-control decks, so Cavern of Souls and creatures with greater than 3 toughness like Auriok Salvagers and Tasigur, the Golden Fang are all individually good against them. High-mana combo-control decks traditionally have decent-to-good Shops matchups because they have so many mana sources, and even-to-decent Dredge matchups because they can race Dredge sometimes and afford to overload on hate. So that’s a significant portion of the field that on paper should be strategically vulnerable to Bomberman, assuming I could find a consistent and powerful build.

With that in mind, I cut the inconsistent or underpowered 1-ofs from Ritter’s list like Thought Scour and Thirst for Knowledge, added a powerful backup plan of 2 Monastery Mentor, and added cheaper, powerful cards like Preordain and Dig Through Time. In testing with the local Seattle vintage crew, the deck was crushing everything we threw at it (once we fixed the Shops board). After going 3-1 in the monthly sanctioned Vintage FNM (shoutouts to Mox Boarding House for running this great monthly event!), losing only to some guy Randy Buehler who ran back the deck he won this VSL thing with, I was sold on the deck.

I flew in Thursday night on the red-eye to catch the amazing Old School tournament. Trying to figure out the train at 7 AM was...not ideal, but I made up for it by eating a pound of corned beef for breakfast at Hershel’s Deli, visiting the Liberty Bell and Mint in morning, and fixing my sleep schedule by rendering myself comatose by 9 PM local time through a combination of sleep deprivation and jagerbombs (Jaco is the fucking man).

Hershel's Deli. I love Philly.

II.
    Vintage is dead, long live Vintage! The oldest and deadest format roared with new life in the biggest Vintage tournament ever, host to the biggest collection of power in one room since being printed. Once drops were taken into account, 458 players showed up to play 10 rounds of Magic with individual cards worth more than Modern decks. I joined the fray.

Round 1 - Zohar Bhagat on URw Landstill
    Zohar set the theme for my opponents being polite, intelligent, and well-socialized. What a refreshing change from even Legacy, much less Modern or Standard.
    Game 1 he led off with Library of Alexandria. I actually thought it was Bazaar of Baghdad (I guess they look similar?) and Preordained some cards to the bottom, but fortunately they sucked and I realized it when he Stripped my land. I quickly determined the only way to win against a UR Landstill deck with active Library is to combo with Cavern. So I Demonic Tutored for Salvagers, Trinked Maged for Lotus, and played Top to search for a Cavern. Hit! I was a little nervous when he Forced Lotus and Wasted my only white source, but I quickly found another and killed him.
    -1 Vampiric Tutor, -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, -1 Misstep, -1 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Disenchant, +1 Devout Witness, +1 Engineered Explosives.
    Boarding out Mental Misstep was a misstep in retrospect, but I didn’t see a Tundra game 1 and expected mostly Bolts and Sudden Shocks, which I didn’t really care about. Null Rod is a huge problem and expected.
    Game 2 he again led on Library! That’s powerful, but my turn 1 Mentor off of Lotus, play Mox, land, with Misstep, Ponder, and Ancestral in hand was better. I Pondered into second land plus Flusterstorm, won the counter war on my Recall and his removal with the Flusterstorm, and won from there.
    1-0, 2-0

Round 2 - Jeremy Beaver on UWR Splinter Twin / Mentor
    An interesting deck, and he’s had some success with it. He said he got a top 16 at NYSE Open, and the Legacy Splinter Twin top 8 adds some legitimacy to this plan in my mind.
    Game 1 was bizarre. Both of us had serious mana issues - I flooded horribly drawing 7 lands plus 4 mana rocks, and he was a bit flooded with 6+ mana sources, but only one red source. He had been holding one card in hand for a long time and won the counter war on my Swords to Plowshares on Deceiver Exarch turns ago, so it was probably Twin. I think I made a mistake by Forcing Mentor when he had 2 unknowns in hand (1 likely Twin)? I had the kill the turn after he ripped a Steam Vents for the lethal combo, so probably my mistake.
    -1 Vampiric Tutor, -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, -?, +1 Swords to Plowshares, +1 Devout Witness, +2 Engineered Plague
    Game 2 I thought for sure I was going to lose to a turn 2 Mentor with a couple of follow-up spells. I played my underwhelming Trinket Mage for a Mox to fix my mana, followed up by a Devout Witness the next turn. Oh, then he attacked a Mentor and 2 tokens into my board of 2 Gray Ogres. Guess he hasn’t played much limited. I called his bluff of 3 instants or a removal spell with 4 cards in hand by double blocking Mentor. He did have a Wear for his Crypt, but Mentor traded with Devout Witness! My deck is mono-Gray Ogres with upside. Trinket Mage and a Tasigur held off the tokens, and Tasigur’s ability turns out to be relevant in non-combo situations too. I won with a Mentor eventually.
    Game 3 I had a turn 2 Mentor. He played to an out of comboing off with Deceiver-Twin, but a Force I drew off of Dig Through Time held it off, and Engineered Plague on Cleric locked the game the next turn.
    2-0, 4-1

Round 3 - Kyle Dorgan on UR Delver
    Game 1 I had a sick hand. Turn 1 spew mana with some counterspells in reserve. Turn 2 I topdeck and play Salvagers. He countered Black Lotus a few times, then succumbed to infinite mana + Tasigur.
    -1 Vampiric Tutor, -1 Mox Ruby, -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, +2 Engineered Plague, +1 Swords to Plowshares
    Game 2 he looked like he was getting close to Dig mana, and in testing the game usually is lost after the first Dig on even board. So I played Nihil Spellbomb. He Misstepped, I Misstepped, he Pyroblasted, I Forced pitching Cruise, but he Flusterstormed. Well, that left me Plow and Engineered Plague in hand. He did cast Mana Crypt, Mentor, and Dig, but I cast Engineered Plague on Monk and Plowed his Mentor. Then he lost 6 of 8 Mana Crypt flips, and lost to it with three 1/1 Monastery Mentors for lethal on board while I had drawn nothing. Odd.
    3-0, 6-1

Round 4 - Brian Ritter on The Answer
    The Answer is a strange UR Blood Moon / Chalice of the Void deck from Europe. Brian Ritter is the guy whose list I based mine off of. This was certainly going to be interesting.
    Game 1 he got a turn 1 Jace off of Lotus and Mox. I didn’t have a Force. Jace was quickly joined by Dack Fayden. I showed him UWB lands and Demonic Tutor, then died to Trinket Mage beats while Chalice locked me out.
    -2 Mental Misstep, -2 Swords to Plowshares, +1 Hurkyl’s Recall, +1 Devout Witness, +2 Disenchant
    I think I should actually have boarded out all 4 Misstep first, but I wasn’t totally sure about the list.
    Game 2 he again got an early Dack against my lackluster hand with no Forces. Dack completely took over the game, and a Blood Moon that was forced through shut off EE outs to his Chalice on 0 and 1.
    3-1, 6-3

Round 5 - Benjamin Guillerm on UW Landstill
    Ben was a French expat living in Texas, and amazingly the second landstill opponent I played.
    Game 1 he played a quick Standstill. I broke it with a Monastery Mentor. He Forced and I passed. He Wasted two lands, which was just fine to enable my Tasigur. I played Tasigur, he Drained it. Alright. I exiled Tasigur, Mentor, and tapped 4 mana sources to play Tasigur. That seemed solid against his Monastery Mentor. I battled in and activated Tasigur a couple times, spilling Auriok Salvagers, and got back a Trinket Mage. Ben Plowed Tasigur. Fine. Trinket Mage for Engineered Explosives. Trinks held off the tokens. Play Salvagers. He Plowed it. He played another Mentor, so I managed to get sick value by attacking my Trinket Mage into his board of 2 Mentors and 1 Monk token, he blocked with the token, and I played and cracked EE for 3 to wipe the board. I think he had forgotten about the EE. Only problem now was finding one of my two remaining threats to win the game! I found a Mentor a couple turns later and won quickly.
    -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, +1 Devout Witness
    Game 2 he Forced my turn 1 Sensei’s Divining Top that I played as bait for my Ancestral Recall. Turn 2 I Recall. Turn 3 I played Mentor and Missteped a Swords to Plowshares in response to my EE for 0. His turn 4 he played a Null Rod, but it did nothing.
    4-1, 8-3

Round 6 - Brian Kelly on BomberOath
    Yeah, I lost to the eventual winner. I guess if I had to pick up my second loss, this one would sting the least.
    Game 1 was an interesting one. I wasn’t sure what he was on when he mulliganned and on the draw led on a turn 1 cantrip, so I Trinket Maged for Black Lotus. His follow-up Oath was a problem. I had a Demonic Tutor, Black Lotus, Monastery Mentor, Preordain, Mental Misstep in hand, and a Sea, a Tundra, and 2 other mana in play. I could have Tutored for EE, played it for 2, and cracked it, got a Salvagers and passed, or played a Mentor, DT for Time Walk, and hope to rip a spell. I decided on the Mentor line, but what do you guys think is correct here? As it turns out, I left him at 5, Misstepped a Recall, but Griselbrand then Dromoka held off my Mentor tokens until Salvagers killed me.
    Boarding is hard. -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, -1 Swords to Plowshares, -1 Dig Through Time, -1 Tasigur, -1 Mentor, -1 Plains, +1 Karakas, +1 Grafdigger’s Cage, +4 Containment Priest
    Game 2 my hand was a little loose - a Cage, a Priest, and mana sources. Although my hate was shutting off his Oath, he got down an early Dack Fayden, and the card quality took over the game. He Sudden Shocked my Priest, Spellbombed another, landed Jace, and won in a few turns by simply casting Auriok Salvagers and comboing off. RIP the dream. Ah well, guess I’ll stay in it for the glory.
    Kelly’s deck seems very interesting and the Bomberman plan is a good backup. Like most of his decks though, the numbers seem a bit off. However, #scoreboard.
    4-2, 8-5

Round 7 - Brett Attmore on BUG Fish
    I was somewhat dispirited coming into the match, but cheered up when I realized that it’s unlikely I would be facing one of the remaining players as strong as the two I lost to. I haven’t been playing sanctioned Vintage once a month for nothing, time to show there’s a new vintage ringer in town!
    Game 1 he had a slower draw with a Deathrite. I played around his Wastelands by fetching basics, Forced his Tasigur, and eventually won with an unkillable Giant Spider with upside.
    -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, -1 Vampiric Tutor, +1 Swords to Plowshares, +1 Devout Witness
    Game 2 he seemed very far ahead when he got to Snapcast the Ancestral Recall I countered, but Trinket Mage held off the assault until I found a Cavern of Souls to force through the combo. A deck full of un-Decayable threats, a decent manabase, a virtually unbeatable card in Mentor, and even a combo that isn’t stopped by Deathrite Shaman makes this matchup a virtual bye.
    5-2, 10-5

Round 8 - Dave Kaplan on Grixis Delver
    I knew I recognized the name, but couldn’t remember from where. After the match, I looked up his name on TCDecks and found that he’s been jamming Gush Aggro to reasonable success for years. Fitting.
    We had an incredibly interesting game 1 that went long, but Dave seemed quite tired and I believe made suboptimal attacking and blocking decisions. My hand was very strange - two Auriok Salvagers with Cavern of Souls, and some counterspells. His hand was also somewhat strange - no early creatures or Planeswalkers, only some cantrips. I made a couple of 2/4s for 4 and started getting aggressive. Eventually I drew an Engineered Explosives, and started wiping his board of Pyromancers, Delvers, Snapcasters, and tokens repeatedly using Salvagers in fair mode while I beat down. He at first thought he was on the beatdown, but by the time he realized he was not, I never gave him profitable blocks thanks to EE.
    -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, -1 Vampiric Tutor, -1 Mox Emerald, -1 Force of Will, +1 Devout Witness, +1 Swords to Plowshares, +2 Engineered Plague
    Game 2 I kind of have the nut - Black Lotus, Mox, fetch, fetch, Tasigur, Engineered Plague, Preordain. Engineered Plague is the literal hard-lock against the Grixis and UR creature decks - all of their creatures are X/1 humans. Their only hope is to have a pile of Elemental tokens or a flipped Delver, all of which die to EE on 0. Dave had a strong opening of Probe into Therapy, and tanked on which to take - Tasigur or Engineered Plague? He clearly hadn’t needed to think about the creature types in his deck. He did go with the correct choice, taking Plague. I am a savage lucksack and Preordained into the second copy, slammed it in play, and he conceded.
    6-2, 12-5

Round 9 - Mark Hornung, Jr on Dredge
    I had heard of this guy. Pretty sure he won a Vintage Champs with Dredge. Once he Serum Powder Mulliganned on the play, I was sure of it.
    Game 1 he Serum Powdered twice. I mulliganned a fine hand with counterspells for a great 6 - Sea, Vampiric, Preordain, Island, Force, Dig. He started the dredge thing going, I Preordained and kept a Misstep. On his turn 2, I was seriously concerned about just dying - he had dredgers plus land plus Fatestitcher - but bricked on Bloodghasts in the first two dredges (before playing the land) and any Narcomoebas. To be fair, he had exiled two Narcs and a Bloodghast to Powder, and discarded another Narc from hand. In my upkeep, I Tutored for Nihil Spellbomb and played it. He was dismayed. After another few dredges, his library was very close to being depleted, and I had Tasigur on defense, I thought a win right there. He made an excellent play of attacking his one Ichorid into my Tasigur, which I obviously block. He activated Bazaar before damage, dumping a second Bridge and a Bloodghast. Land, Dread Return Elesh Norn set him up for lethal next turn with Ichorids. I had one turn to draw a white source for the Swords in my hand...and did! He scooped with 2 cards left in library.
    -1 Dig Through Time, -1 Sensei’s Divining Top, -1 Plains, -1 Monastery Mentor, -1 Tasigur, -1 Spell Snare, -1 Flusterstorm, -1 Hurkyl’s Recall, +4 Containment Priest, +1 Grafdigger’s Cage, +1 Karakas, +1 Swords to Plowshares, +1 Engineered Explosives
    I brought in the Karakas as a hedge in case he had the Dark Depths board, and Legacy Dredge games have taught me that Swords is fine.
    To sum up these two games:

Game 2 I kept an Island as my only mana source with no cantrips, but plenty of counterspells and a Containment Priest. I brick on the white source, and played long enough to see how he has boarded before dying to Flame-Kin Zealot and friends while concealing my hand. He had mis-evaluated the hate that I would bring in - I saw two Barbarian Rings and a bunch of Chewers and Nature’s Claims. Perfect. I saw he didn’t sideboard between games two and three.
    Game 3 I again kept a greedy hand, but this time I could actually cast my hate. Lotus, 2x Containment Priest, Force, Ponder, Misstep, Dig Through Time. He asked if it was another greedy hand while I was tanking, but was definitely surprised I just said “Go” on my turn 1. If I drew any mana source, I could get two Priests into play, which he would have a huge amount of difficulty actually dealing with. I didn’t, so had to sweat with only one Priest in play attacking while he activated Bazaar and found...nothing. About the most action was Forcing an Ingot Chewer which would have produced a Zombie. Eventually I started drawing lands, then a Cage and a third Priest. At no point was he able to profitably dredge, and I kept a no-lander. Sweet.
    7-2, 14-6

Round 10 - Peter White on Thoughtcast Mentors
    At this point I was feeling doggedly determined to win despite how fatigued I was. My opponent looked like he had a hard day - no wonder, given the time difference from London!
    Game 1 I opened the most busted hand all day - fetch, Mox, Lotus, Salvagers, Tasigur, Mentor, Swords to Plowshares. On the play, he dropped a Seat of the Synod, two Moxes, and played Thoughtcast. Weird. Steel City Vault? After drawing another land for turn, I tanked for a bit on whether to play Mentor in case he has Force, or Salvagers. I decided that I should just put him on a 1-turn clock with Salvagers, since if he’s playing a combo deck I could just be dead next turn. He didn’t have the Force that turn. On his next turn he played Academy and Thoughtcast again, then shipped. I went infinite, and although he Forced my Tasigur, I dropped Mentor, made infinite tokens, and Plowed a token to gain infinite life. He scooped to that.
    -2 Swords to Plowshares, -1 Spell Snare, -1 Plains, +1 Hurkyl’s Recall, +2 Disenchant, +1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    Game 2 he dropped a turn 2 Monastery Mentor. I looked at my sideboard. Yup, 3 Swords to Plowshares looking back at me. Guess I misevaluated the matchup! That’s ok, I had a quick (turn 2) Salvagers off of Lotus and Cavern. He swung in, played another Mentor and Walked, and put me dead on board. Then I used infinite mana + Salvagers + EE to wipe his entire board. Every turn. For the rest of the game while I beat down with shitty creatures to death.
    Final record: 8-2, 16-6 (72% GWP)

III.
    15th! After picking up two early losses, I was elated to simply make top 16! My opponents were fierce, and if I had to lose, being defeated by the eventual winner and one of the first people to play my archetype to a top 8 is not so bad. The most notable thing to me was that I never played Shops once! I only played against one Dredge deck, and besides that mostly fair-ish blue decks. A strange set of matchups for sure.

Going forwards I know that I want to make some changes. The majority of the games I lost were to blue planeswalkers landing and dominating. That tells me two things - I want Pyroblast as a way to deal with the Planeswalkers efficiently, and I want to be playing some of my own. Dack and Jace would help with the occasional game where I get horribly flooded (after all, it is a 25 mana source deck), and provide a good supplement to the control plan. However, Tasigur was incredibly powerful - he was an efficient threat that closed the game very quickly, could draw cards, and enable comboing out. So red is in, and black gets to stay. Mentor was amazing and I won maybe a quarter to a third of my games just with it, no combo. Trinket Mage profitably blocked Mentor and friends while tutoring for the combo. Just having a deck full of decent blockers and reasonable attackers was very good against all of the fair blue decks, especially the Mentor and Pyromancer ones. Engineered Plague is a 1-card kill against two decks, and bought a ton of time against two Mentor decks. I loved it. Otherwise the sideboard was fine but unexceptional.

I’d certainly recommend checking out this archetype! I strongly believe that it is the best combo-control deck in Vintage, and historically that strategic archetype has been dominant. The addition of several creature decks to the Tier 1 vintage landscape continues to overturn old schools of deck building, shockwaves that I believe are still being played out. In the meantime, exploit the lack of power and toughness with Gray Ogres with upside!

The Vintage Champs tournament was an amazing fait accompli for the Vintage community, and I believe presages a new era of vitality in Vintage. The format is diverse, fun, and very open, and accordingly more people showed up to Vintage Champs than to Legacy Champs last year. A brew won the Champs! The tournament venue is hands-down the best venue I've even been to - the block hotel is kitty-corner to the venue, one of the best markets and places to eat in the nation, Reading Market, is directly across from both the hotel and the venue, and transportation from the airport is easy and cheap. If you haven't experienced Eternal Weekend, mark your calendars for next year. It's that good.

Props:
    - Reading Market
    - Corned Beef
    - Jaco for running an amazing tournament 5+ jagerbombs in
    - Team Tusk and the Seattle eternal crew for being the best damn Magic players to hang out with
    - Bob Huang (akatsuki) crushing with Delver (again).
    - Vintage
    Slops:
    - Legacy was incredibly long (11 rounds?!) and seems stale
    - Tournament payout was fairly stingy
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Vintage Champs 15th with Bomberman

Greg, thanks for the report. Really enjoyable read. I went 4-4 on Sunday with Cobra Gush Tendrils (unsurprisingly went 1-3 vs. Shops and semi-punted to lose a G3 vs. Dredge). I had pretty much the opposite matchups that you did: played vs. Shops four times (the last two were Smokestack builds which dropped me from 4-2 to 4-4), Dredge twice, Elves (!!) once and UWR Mentor. I have been thinking about trying Bomberman for a while now but the majority of my testing is online where there are just too many clicks. I may try it anyway the next time I get the chance to play IRL vintage. I find that whenever I try to play without red for Pyroblast and Ingot Chewers in this format I really miss them a lot.

Nice read, congrats!

How did you do in legacy?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

I do not follow Vintage but is Bomberman not suppose to have AEther/Pyrite Spellbomb for bouncing the board or damage?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sometimes. In this version it seems Greg has chosen to simply make infinite infinitely large monk tokens and time walk instead. Or you can even if you get really deep, you can simply make infinite mana, draw your deck with Tasigur, then Ancestral recall your opponent until they draw their whole deck
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Ponder?

You have more heart than me (and you ate lunch), I died in the 6th round and quit to got eat Reading Market before it closed. It's amazing how that place can make even the most crushing defeat feel OK.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Nice read, congrats!

How did you do in legacy?
    Very poorly Played Martin's list from Lille with a slightly different sideboard. I lost round 2 to a competent RUG Delver pilot (bricked on a desperation Past in Flames with only 2 Gitaxian Probes in bin, no Tutor with lethal on board games 1 + 3), and lost to elves in like round 6. He had turbo-Deathrite making Past in Flames difficult into a turn 4 beatdown kill, then a turn 2 Ruric Thar. Dropped because the tournament was going slowly and 11 rounds is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Sometimes. In this version it seems Greg has chosen to simply make infinite infinitely large monk tokens and time walk instead. Or you can even if you get really deep, you can simply make infinite mana, draw your deck with Tasigur, then Ancestral recall your opponent until they draw their whole deck
    Correct, except that the primary plan to kill them really is the Tasigur + Recall one. Mentor takes more time to explain. The big advancement in modern Bomberman lists is that you don't need dedicated kill cards that suck, just efficient cards like Tasigur and Recall.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Ponder?

You have more heart than me (and you ate lunch), I died in the 6th round and quit to got eat Reading Market before it closed. It's amazing how that place can make even the most crushing defeat feel OK.
    Agreed, that helped sooth my legacy defeat.

I'm so bummed you can't really play bomberman decks online. I've always been interested in the archetype but never gotten a chance to play it since I'm just an online-only scrub.

Thanks for the report!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Nice work, man! I think you made the right decision to play this over Shops. Can't go wrong with this guy as your commander:

I don't know how you avoided a food coma, though. A pound of corned beef in the morning? Yipes.

How was the Old-School tournament? Did you rock the King Suleimans?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Nice work, man! I think you made the right decision to play this over Shops. Can't go wrong with this guy as your commander:

<Chromium>

I don't know how you avoided a food coma, though. A pound of corned beef in the morning? Yipes.

How was the Old-School tournament? Did you rock the King Suleimans?
    Indeed. I rampaged over the tournament!

It might not have been a literal pound. But I was hungry and burning on that early morning second wind.

Old School was amazing! My deck was terrible (Nicol Bolas Aggro with a turbo-LD plan) since the mana was bad and the field was way more open than I thought. I expected to face UW control decks and B prison style decks but instead faced 4 red based aggro decks. King Suleimans were for the Team Tusk guys, and they played a few. There were way more red decks and fewer Serendibs, Juzams, and Ernhams than expected though.

I think the cost keeps things in check a bit. And the shame of playing revised Dibs and Chronerhnam.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Correct, except that the primary plan to kill them really is the Tasigur + Recall one. Mentor takes more time to explain. The big advancement in modern Bomberman lists is that you don't need dedicated kill cards that suck, just efficient cards like Tasigur and Recall.
    That makes sense. To be honest I didn't even notice the recall line of win condition until after I looked over your deck list. That really makes me want to play bomber man again in legacy. Anything not completely awful in straight UW in legacy that can be used as a win con? I guess in legacy the issue is you have to go off with LEDSo your kill needs to be on board. :/
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    That makes sense. To be honest I didn't even notice the recall line of win condition until after I looked over your deck list. That really makes me want to play bomber man again in legacy. Anything not completely awful in straight UW in legacy that can be used as a win con? I guess in legacy the issue is you have to go off with LEDSo your kill needs to be on board. :/
    Bomberman in Legacy sounds pretty bad, unfortunately :( Maybe you can use the Tasigur idea with an Unburial Rites / Gifts package? Here's a sketch:

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Monastery Mentor
    3 Trinket Mage
    2 Auriok Salvagers
    2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Gifts Ungiven
    4 Force of Will
    1 Unburial Rites
    2 Dig Through Time
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Seat of the Synod
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta

I did some goldfish games and it wasn't as terrible as I thought it might be - it's a pretty consistent combo, and there are solid beatdowns before. The mana seems a bit off though. Needs more acceleration and colored sources, probably just more lands too.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Petal is interesting. I always wanted a mana source to trinket mage up but never wanted to play artifact lands.

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Impulse
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 Trinket Mage
    3 Auriok Salvagers
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Monastery Mentor

1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    1 Aether Spellbomb
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

1 Leyline of Sanctity

1 Supreme Verdict

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Tundra
    4 Island
    4 Plains
    2 Cavern of Souls

SB:
    1 Helm of Obedience
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Meekstone
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Pithing Needle
    The list I played. The leyline was bad of course. Impulse was meh. I really liked boarding into leyline helm though. People bring in hate for your graveyard and then you just helm them. It's aclean easy swap

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

If you're going the legacy route with Tasigur, you can just play a single Sign in Blood or another targeted card draw spell and win that way. I'm not sold on the Gifts package though, its super slow.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    If you're going the legacy route with Tasigur, you can just play a single Sign in Blood or another targeted card draw spell and win that way. I'm not sold on the Gifts package though, its super slow.
    Let's move the discussion to here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ight=bomberman

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Hey Greg. I'm thinking of trying Esper Bomberman for a local vintage tournament this weekend. I am tempted to experiment with 4 Thirst and (maybe) 4 Bobs. Maybe some baby Jaces to really use the Caverns. Any thoughts on this? I suspect that I might be trying to shoehorn Bobs into everything.

Thread Information