Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GP Seatac: 4th with Reanimator

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

Re: GP Seatac: 4th with Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    Darkblast allows for a tutorable way to blow up Thalia, sure, but more (maybe equally?) relevant, it is insane against infect. I don't think that infect is a bad matchup with this build, but darkblast makes it extremely easy.
    Infect player, can confirm darkblast is miserable.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by sunlith42 View Post
    Darkblast is better than you think. You cast it on your upkeep on their deathrite, then you dredge it back into your hand, then you darkblast the deathrite again. So you can kill 2 toughness creatures.
    I am aware of this. But tutoring it to deal with DRS sounds bad or at least very unlikely. You would need to use another draw to kill drs before it gets active (or two when it's tapped) and that doesn't deal with turn one drs. Considering the deck as a lot of other answers to DRS I wouldnt side it in against a DRS deck unless they run pyromancer. Even against multiple strixes from shardless I would rather count on the elesh way.

The thing about Jin being in the board is that you just get to bring it in for the matchups where it really shines: The various BUG decks and other combo decks.

Darkblast allows for a tutorable way to blow up Thalia, sure, but more (maybe equally?) relevant, it is insane against infect. I don't think that infect is a bad matchup with this build, but darkblast makes it extremely easy.
    I thought about infect but didn't considered it as a widely represented mach-up nor a bad match-up. I guess it's still a better slot than other things. What are your 16th and 17th sideboard cards ?
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

First, I basically only bring in darkblast against Infect and DnT though I would consider bringing it in if someone was still playing something like grixis control, because it matches up well against the primary threat, young pyro.

Here is the sideboard I posted on the first page:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Duress
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Jin-Gitaxias
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Darkblast
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Snapcaster

I'd like to swap a duress for a second echoing truth, that said, duress #2 is still fine.

So my 16th and 17th sideboard cards with the above change would be

Duress as the 16th.

The 17th slot is a bit trickier, as there are a lot of cards I'd like to put in or test.
    Massacre
    Pyroblast
    Pyroclasm
    Fire//Ice
    Disfigure
    Possibly Decay #4?

I wouldn't play coffin purge in this deck for a few reasons, but primarily because I feel advantaged against all the graveyard decks.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I read you would have played 2nd truth in golgari charm's slot. Do you want the golgari charm more than another -1/-1 effect because of the other modes and if so in which match-ups ? Sickening dreams and pyroclasm are strong options. Dreams is meh vs DRS but pyroclasm seems really good.

I tried to sideboard versus shardless and I played with 62 cards (on the draw, 2-0). Pithing needle was the only target to decay postboard but answering both drs and walkers seemed too strong. I think did :
    -2 animate dead
    -1 jace
    -1 iona
    -1 archetype
    -2 misdi
    +3 decay
    +2 needle
    +1 sphinx
    +1 Jin

I didn't mind having 62 cards when you have singleton creatures you don't want to topdeck and it seemed better than cutting something else. How do you sideboard ? Do you swap forces for 4 discard on the play ?
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

Against Shardless I go:

-2 Animate Dead
    -1 Tidespout
    -1 Archetype
    -1 Careful Study

+1 Thoughtseize (this could easily be pithing needle, if they don't have surgical, this should definitely be a needle.)
    +1 Jin-Gitaxias
    +3 Abrupt Decay

I can't imagine taking misdirection out against the hymn to tourach deck.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Not only there are less and less players playing HTT, I also hadn't seen any game one and it's not the best card against reanimator. Since they should sideboard out vision I took out misdi as I was removing decay targets. I guess it depends on what you see and how do you expect them to sideboard. More hymns keep 2 misdi, more walkers keep 2 needle.
    Jace should probably go before study in your sideboarding. It is the only decay target left (hapless doesn't count). Jace is a bit slow so maybe it's that slot that should be chrome mox.

It's doable but I don't like reducing the number of fatties when you keep 11 looting effects. That is why I sided in sphinx (worst case if it sits in hand it's blue).

EDIT : by the way I played reanimator long ago on only two occasions. Once in GP Madrid 2010 with a green splash for mainly carpet of flowers sb. Once just before survival got banned with a red splash for sb stronghold gambit and volcanic spray. I don't think these two (not counting stronghold because control has creatures now) particularly fit right now in the build but I throw the ideas in case of since you splash both colors.
    Carpet was sometimes nice to hardcast fatties.
    Last edited by Lejay; 11-19-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Chase!

Congrats on your finish! Great report as well. I trust that your build was well-conceived, that your play was tight and reasonable, and that you look fantastic naked. Stop living so far away.

Hugs and kisses,

Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Thanks Danyul <3

Lejay: I understand not wanting to go too low on big creatures, but at the same time I think that Sphinx is soft to too much of what shardless is doing, I want as many of my threats as possible in a matchup to win on their own with minimal protection, Sphinx doesn't accomplish that against shardless, so I'd rather just have another good spell. They are almost certainly cutting their decays almost entirely, so I think have is fine to stay, especially because as you note, we have a lot of looting effects still, so cutting the one that is weakest in the matchup and configuration, (careful study) makes perfect sense.

I have thought about carpet before and I imagine it's pretty good against delver and miracles, but I don't know what I would cut for it. Stronghold gambit is kinda cool but I don't play nearly enough discard for it to work out in this build.

Thanks Danyul <3

Lejay: I understand not wanting to go too low on big creatures, but at the same time I think that Sphinx is soft to too much of what shardless is doing, I want as many of my threats as possible in a matchup to win on their own with minimal protection, Sphinx doesn't accomplish that against shardless, so I'd rather just have another good spell. They are almost certainly cutting their decays almost entirely, so I think have is fine to stay, especially because as you note, we have a lot of looting effects still, so cutting the one that is weakest in the matchup and configuration, (careful study) makes perfect sense.

I have thought about carpet before and I imagine it's pretty good against delver and miracles, but I don't know what I would cut for it. Stronghold gambit is kinda cool but I don't play nearly enough discard for it to work out in this build.
    Stronghold Gambit used to be great when Miracles had no creatures, but with Mentor around and I saw your build runs no MD Thoughtseizes, I'd probably err away from that card. Carpet of Flowers I find is more of a long game card, somewhere Reanimator doesn't want to be anyway. Though I do admit I've hardcasted Elesh Norn and Empyrial Archangel off of Lotus Petals. The old U/B Stock lists used to run Jace in conjunction with Show and Tell to become some bootleg control deck, something I always wanted to try.

Jul 2013
    Italy

Yeah, I did something like:

-1 Elesh
    -1 Tidespout
    -2 Careful Study
    -2 Reanimate
    -1 Exhume
    -2 Misdirection
    -1 Swamp (This is dangerous if they bring in moons though, so be careful)

+3 Decay
    +2 Needle
    +1 Jin
    +1 Snapcaster
    +2 Thoughtseize
    +1 Duress
    Why you siding Snapcaster Mage Vs a MU with RiP? Isn't better another Duress?

I bring in snap over duress because I want to keep. My blue count up, I like having a nice 2 for 1, and discard spells have a short window of effectiveness in this matchup, especially on the draw. So I don't like to overload on that effect. Also being able to attack for 2 is real.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I bring in snap over duress because I want to keep. My blue count up, I like having a nice 2 for 1, and discard spells have a short window of effectiveness in this matchup, especially on the draw. So I don't like to overload on that effect. Also being able to attack for 2 is real.
    hey stryfo, i'm highly considering playing your deck this weekend, would you consider any changes to the 75? i don't have the amount of experience to really change the 75 much.
    -rob

I don't know what kind of meta you expect, but I would probably play this:

3 Griselbrand
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Iona
    1 Archetype of Endurance
    4 Hapless Researcher
    1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

4 Brainstorm
    4 Careful Study
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    2 Animate Dead
    2 Misdirection
    3 Izzet Charm
    4 Force of Will

1 Swamp
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Badlands
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta

SB:
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Jin-Gitaxias
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Darkblast
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Snapcaster

If you don't like Jace, I think a 4th izzet charm would be good, or possibly a first ponder, but I'm still testing Jace myself.

If you expect a lot of combo, I'd switch the snapcaster to a 2nd duress.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks
    -rob

Do you still play the deck? :)
    Cockatrice: Deckerator
    () Reanimator
    Shardless BUG
    Death&Taxes

I haven't been able to play my paper list since the GP, but I play a slightly modified version fairly frequently on MODO.

I haven't been able to play my paper list since the GP, but I play a slightly modified version fairly frequently on MODO.
    Can you maybe share it? I am interested in it :)
    Cockatrice: Deckerator
    () Reanimator
    Shardless BUG
    Death&Taxes

Thread Information