Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Premium Article] DeMars: Is Legacy Squanched?

[Premium Article] DeMars: Is Legacy Squanched?

New article on quiet speculation about the future of Legacy after the SCG announcement November 2nd. I discuss matters ranging from the financial impact the decision will have on cards to how this change will impact the health of the format in general. Check it out, and as always feedback is always appreciated!

Cheers, Brian
    Follow me on Twitter: @Briandemars1

http://www.quietspeculation.com/2015...-to-scg-opens/

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Premium Article] DeMars: Is Legacy Squanched?

Too bad I don't have a subscription :( any chance you will post a small summary or hook on this thread?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

What does squanched mean?

The internet ties it to Rick and Morty (which I've never watched) and defines it as a placeholder word, and/or the act of auto-erotic asphixiation.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

The internet ties it to Rick and Morty (which I've never watched) and defines it as a placeholder word, and/or the act of auto-erotic asphixiation.
    The format choking itself to death while having a raging boner is one hell of a weird image.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I don't think I want to hear his opinion enough to bother getting an account.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

If that is what squanched means, then I hope the answer in the article is "no". To tell you the truth though, I wouldn't be that surprised if the answer is yes.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Oh my god! You killed Legacy... You bastards!

I assure you all that "squanched" is a reference to Rick and Morty and there is nothing in the article about auto-erotic asphyxiation. :-) If you haven't seen the show yet, I highly recommend checking it out -- it's one of the best shows to come out in years.

bruizar

If you cant take randomly losing in a game about drawing random cards, you deserve to get GG'd

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

What was the announcement?
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Could someone at least give a brief statement of his view on the future? I mean, at least the SCG premium articles give you a short preview of where the author is heading with their train of thought.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Forcefieldyou View Post
    I assure you all that "squanched" is a reference to Rick and Morty and there is nothing in the article about auto-erotic asphyxiation. :-) If you haven't seen the show yet, I highly recommend checking it out -- it's one of the best shows to come out in years.
    I think a better question might be, "just how schwifty is Legacy right now?"

Here's a preview of my upcoming post on the subject:

Very.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Posting threads for paid content is acceptable. Please keep the discussion to the topic without complaining about the paywall. Don't also post ways around the paywall.

No one is forcing you to pay anything to not read the article. If it's important enough of a topic, it would be accessed readily (read: free).
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Not even a short TLDR? How am I supposed to discuss anything?
    • (Rick and Morty plug)
    • I've been through some stuff so I want to share it with you
    • I don't like it
    • SCG hates us
    • Cedric is wrong
    • Menendian is psychic
    • SDT and Brainstorm are at fault
    • Declining prices
    • Someone else should run stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    • (Rick and Morty plug)
    • I've been through some stuff so I want to share it with you
    • I don't like it
    • SCG hates us
    • Cedric is wrong
    • Menendian is psychic
    • SDT and Brainstorm are at fault
    • Declining prices
    • Someone else should run stuff now
    Nice, thanks. :)

I know a small number of people really really hate SDT and BS but I can't see that really effecting the overall turnout for events or interest in Legacy. There are way more people that just like to jam BS. I can kinda see an argument where people don't like playing against Miracles but even then it's not hugely oppressive or even a large slice of the metagame.

Also, prices tend to fluctuate but overall they've trended upwards these last few years.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Now Introducing: Source Premium (tm). When you complain about paywalled content, your comments will automatically be rendered only for our Source Premium (tm) subscribers. Buy now and save!

But seriously, keep this thread for discussion of the content of the article, not bitching about the paywall on said article.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Nice, thanks. :)

I know a small number of people really really hate SDT and BS but I can't see that really effecting the overall turnout for events or interest in Legacy. There are way more people that just like to jam BS. I can kinda see an argument where people don't like playing against Miracles but even then it's not hugely oppressive or even a large slice of the metagame.

Also, prices tend to fluctuate but overall they've trended upwards these last few years.
    His argument was that those particular cards, in addition to whatever other effect they have on the format, also make coverage miserable. Not only for the time, but since we don't have fancy pocket cams yet, there's no way for the viewer to know how the cards are being stacked. Does he have the Terminus or not? What is he shuffling away? Will he find a land before being blown out? These are questions or situations that one player knows about that leave the viewer and commentators up in the air. Makes for a far less interesting match when you can't see all the decisions the players are making.

He also stated, like everyone else, that prices will suffer a slight decline, but also that the sky is not falling and the Reserved stuff will obviously recover. It's a buyer's market, etc.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    We don't have fancy pocket cams yet.
    And since there is no way to change that /s, we should ban cards?
    Sounds very schwifty to me.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Why wouldn't there be any way to change that?

As in poker, we could imagine that everytime someone manipulates the top of its library, he should show the cards before and after doing the manipulation...

And since there is no way to change that /s, we should ban cards?
    Sounds very schwifty to me.
    As a Rick & Morty fan (season 2 finale touched an emotional nerve, good writing/storytelling), I believe the proper nomenclature would be more akin to-

"That sounds like a squanched idea."

Schwifty would be better used in terms of, "It'd be schwifty to get hi-tech pocket cameras, so folks aren't tempted to squanch cards just because."

Unless you think it's schwifty to ban cards due to squanched viewer pleasure.

As Turtleface reiterated, "I'm helping, I'm helping."

Thread Information