Thread: [Article] Building a Better Eternal Online

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

[Article] Building a Better Eternal Online

Yesterday, Lee Sharpe announced some big changes to the Magic Online Championship Series (MOCS) for 2016. For those of you who don’t know, the MOCS is the premier tournament series on Magic Online. Every month players who had accummulated enough Qualifier Points competed in a tournament, sending the winner to the Pro Tour as well as qualifying him for the Magic Online Championship, where people got to battle for an invite to the actual Magic World Championship.
    Here's my take on how to improve the overall Eternal experience on Magic Online: http://itsjulian.com/?p=1891
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Re: [Article] Building a Better Eternal Online

Great article, I would at least consider playing MODO if something like this were implemented.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Excellent article, I would love to see something like this implemented and it would certainly give me more faith in the future of this format. As you mentioned there is no incentive for them to stop supporting Legacy online, and I really hope to see them step it up and throw us a bone.

Hope they listen to you :)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

- The Eternal events shouldn't use EP, as they would splinter the playerbase. Just use QP for everything.

- People are scared of buying in. This year has clearly shown that they're quite ruthless when it comes down to screwing Legacy (event time changes, various event cuts, the whole PP change debacle, worse payout when it comes to special boosters like VMA/MMA 15, etc.) - any trust into managing the format is gone.

- Stuff like Port shouldn't be that ridiculously expensive just because they can't be assed to do a reasonable reprint.

- I don't have time or am willing anymore to sit down several hours for a daily event. The EV is bad compared to pre-PP and the other events are even worse. It just feels like a waste of time and money to play overall. And I'm pretty sure many people feel the same as I do about this matter.

- Legacy Leagues with a better, more top-heavy prize stucture would be an enormous boon for the format. As you said, they clearly underestimate the potential of Eternal as long as good events are offered.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Well written. Hopefully someone with decision power decides to do something with all the eternal format potential.

Thanks for this article Julian! I'm really glad you wrote it and have been dedicating yourself to make things better for eternal players online. The Legacy community is truly blessed to have you as one of its unofficial spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I also wonder why Vintage, Standard and Modern do have Super Leagues while Legacy doesn't.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I also wonder why Vintage, Standard and Modern do have Super Leagues while Legacy doesn't.
    Standard and Modern are sponsored by WotC.
    Vintage used to be sponsored by WotC to sell packs of VMA, and now is community sponsored via Randy Buehler's Patreon page.

Legacy is neither sponsored by WotC nor championed by a well recognizable name. However, if it were to become real...

West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information