Thread: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament

Threaded View

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

[Deck] Ensnaring Sacrament

Updated:11/28/2015

Goal: eliminate opponents ability to win. Bridge stops most creature decks, Sadistic sacrament removes any problematic removal for bridge. Chalice and discard slow combo decks until you can hit them with a liliana / sadistic.

Ive tested this deck and I like it a lot. I'd really like help optimizing it and get some feedback.

Exile spells - 4
    4 Sadistic Sacrament

Discard - 7
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek

Removal - 13
    2 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Toxic Deluge
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Snapcaster Mage

Draw - 3
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Bottled Cloister

Lock Pieces - 9
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

Lands - 24
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Bayou
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    1 Island

SB: 2 Cranial Extraction
    SB: 2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
    SB: 4 Hymn to Tourach
    SB: 2 Pernicious Deed
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip

Cards for consideration

Bitter Ordeal
    Cursed Scroll
    Neverending Torment

Gatherer search

Matches

Grave yard decks (dredge, manaless dredge, reanimator) are generally favorable at least in my experiences. The few outs they have to bridge are easily removed with sadistic sacrament. Chalice shines in the reanimator match and dredge as it slows them down significantly in addition to the discard available.

Delver matches are fairly good with exception of shard less / team america. Most delver decks don't have main deck answers for bridge. Their mana base is weak. Against RUG i actually removed all of the tropicals with 1 sadistic sacramnt to cut them off from green and it was easy from there. It is important that you mulligan correctly to have a faster hand so you can empty it and take advantage of bridge.

Sneak And show: really good since bridge wrecks them game one. You can put it into play off a show and tell. Some lists don't even run an answer for it post board.

ANT: chalice, and discard are effective at slowing them down till you can land a sadistic sacrament. Many lists only run 1 tendrils so its game if you can resolve it. TES and lists with burning wish are more difficult because of the additional outs. Burning wish can get a card removed with sadistic sacrament.

Enchantress: typically low threat count and gets punished hard by chalice.

Miracles: generally favorable depending. They can still draw well and make it difficult to land what you need. Mentor and entreat can end the game very fast if you struggle to locate a bridge. Generally the only issue I had with this matchup was jace the mind sculptor, BUT since I've added maelstrom pulse to take care of planes walkers it has not been an issue. Sadistic sacrament can remove their red mana sources to cut them off of blood moon, wear/tear. Council's judgement and engineered explosives are the only other threats I typically encounter.

Dark Depth's Variants: They can be fast but if you can wasteland them and surgical (game 2) that can often be enough to secure a victory. RG combo lands is slightly harder because of the wasteland lock but its possible especially with snap casters. Their only removal is krosan grip out of the board. If they are dredging they can mill some and you can remove others with sadistic.

Jund: Exile abrupt decay, chalice on 2 to stop loams / punishing fires / creatures. Watch for Liliana's.

The bad matches

Generally decks with a lot of threats / removal / multiple win conditions. I'm sure there are more than listed below but they are not coming to mind.

Shard less / team america: main deck abrupt decays with some tempo can that be enough to end a game quickly.

Painter: not terrible but not easy. 2 Win conditions. Must stop the painter combo first, then lock them out of beatdown mode while dodging blood moon effects.

Aluren: similar to painter. Stop the combo, stop the aggro, dodge counterpsells. Decay doesn't hit aluren. It didn't help that i wasn't familiar with this match.

Pox: idk what happened it just seemed to be more difficult that I wanted. This deck is mana hungry so anything that attacks the mana base is gonna be tough. Even though you can reliably get basics into play sinkhole and smallpox hurt.

Goblins: they are fast and sometimes you don't have enough time to stick a bridge and remove their artifact hate.

Death and Taxes: Can be bad since this deck needs to hit 3-4 mana to really get going. Early mother of runes can be a problem because they can poke you down with thalia and get though bridge since you can't empty your hand. You really need to hit a toxic deluge and remove their flicker wisps to be successful.

I'm really impressed with the deck so far however It hinges heavily on drawing bridge. I added bottled cloister to help and it does.

Adding blue was worth it because Snapcaster is a cheap way to recur either your removal, discard, or exile depending on the matchup. 1 of Jace is really good just because he fits the theme so well in denying them access to their outs.

I'd really like to get some input and ideas and possibly make this into a working deck.
    Last edited by apple713; 02-16-2019 at 02:22 AM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thread Information