Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

[OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

Yeah! Finally get to make one of these!

Even though the cards spoiled may be fake...

First up, we have a big friend for Newlamog:

http://i.imgur.com/RIvZJbi.png

Kozilek, the Great Distortion
    8<><>
    Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Titan

When you cast Kozilek, the Great Distortion if you have fewer than seven cards in hand, draw cards equal to the difference.

Menace

Discard a card with converted mana cost X: Counter target spell with converted mana cost X.
    What exactly is <> mana? Nobody is really sure at the moment. People speculate that the diamond symbol represents a cost that must be paid with specifically colorless mana (i.e. not colored mana) boosting the utility of lands that tap for colorless. Like, perhaps, this one:

http://i.imgur.com/CO1Ue17.png

Wastes
    Basic Land
    A new type of basic land that doesn't have a subtype and carries an extremely generic name that could fit on any plane. It's not quite "Barry's Land" (i.e. a colorless basic that had a subtype to power up Domain, but it is close.

Edit: Looks like there is a third possible spoiler, though this one seems highly likely to be fake.

http://i.imgur.com/aruU9HU.png

Mirrorpool
    Land

Mirrorpool enters the battlefield tapped

Tap: Add <> to your mana pool

2<>, Tap, Sacrifice Mirrorpool: Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. You may choose new targets for the copy.

4<>, Tap, Sacrifice Mirrorpool: Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of target creature you control.
    This seems a little off, especially given that it is a Mythic, non-Legendary utility land. Plus, I really hope <> mana isn't something highly parasitic like Snow mana and this card tends to point towards that.

Re: [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

Discard a card with converted mana cost X: Counter target spell with converted mana cost X

Either weird wording or fake.

For example Counterbalance: Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may reveal the top card of your library. If you do, counter that spell if it has the same converted mana cost as the revealed card.

Normal wording would be:

Discard a card:Counter target spell if it has the same cmc as the discarded card.

Edit: Ok its not exactly the same... with my wording you can use it as discard outlet!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Diamond lands = snow lands 2: electric boogaloo?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The Kozilek art couldn't be found on the internet before, so I suspect the cards to be real, at least Kozilek and Wastes.

That said, this is horrible. Yet another extremely parasitic mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Discard a card with converted mana cost X: Counter target spell with converted mana cost X

Either weird wording or fake.

For example Counterbalance: Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may reveal the top card of your library. If you do, counter that spell if it has the same converted mana cost as the revealed card.

Normal wording would be:

Discard a card:Counter target spell if it has the same cmc as the discarded card.

Edit: Ok its not exactly the same... with my wording you can use it as discard outlet!
    Knollspine Invocation has a similar wording.

For Mirrorpool, I have to wonder why the card wouldn't just say "Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool." If the new mana symbol really means mana that needs to be colorless, then this land doesn't seem all that great for mana production.

All interesting if real though.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by into_play View Post

For Mirrorpool, I have to wonder why the card wouldn't just say "Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool." If the new mana symbol really means mana that needs to be colorless, then this land doesn't seem all that great for mana production.

I like this explanation:

in cost: generic mana. Can be paid with any color
    Until Onslaught: "Add one colorless mana to your mana pool". Can be used to pay generic costs.
    After Onslaught: "Add to your mana pool". in mana producers is colorless mana that can be used to pay generic mana costs.
    After Oath:
    in cost: generic mana. Can be paid with any color or colorless
    {d} in cost: colorless mana. Can only be paid with colorless mana.
    {d} in producers: colorless mana. Can pay generic and colorless costs.
    ( in producers: No longer exists, errata to {d})
    Sounds plausible. At the very least, this "new" mana explains the high amount of colorless lands in Standard which made no fucking sense in a heavily-multicolored Standard format.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

When I was 9 and realized that the white mana symbols were different between Revised and 4th Edition, and my cousin said that's because the old symbol meant colorless mana. I guess he was on to something, after all.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by into_play View Post

If your going to have a new symbol, might as well use it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

I don't see how this is parasitic. It's just a new way to indicate (must be paid with colorless) in mana costs and a new way to say on producers. It's non parasitic at all, if anything, this work amazingly with a lot of old cards that produce colorless mana because colorless is now a bit better since it can pay for some specific costs.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Assuming that's what it is. It could actually be a new land type that just happens to be colourless. Right now, we just don't know.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

This effectively re-introduce colorless as sixth color.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Am I the only one who thinks that, if this is real, Kozilek is near Griselbrand-level absurd?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that, if this is real, Kozilek is near Griselbrand-level absurd?
    IMO Emrakul is stronger and it's not particularly close.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    IMO Emrakul is stronger and it's not particularly close.
    Sure, but Emrakul can't be reanimated.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Sure, but Emrakul can't be reanimated.
    Tin Fins would like to have a word with you, good sir. The onions they burst are quite often spaghetti monster shaped.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Maybe in a post deck but it doesn't trigger off S&T/Reanimation. (And then the post deck still has to produce &diams;️&diams;️ or whatever.)

If you have a way to draw enough cards to make the counter ability matter without the cast trigger, you can probably win with any other 12/12.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Blatantly stealing information from Salvation, but it has pretty much convinced me Wastes is real:

from Skitterskin

from Kozilek's Sentinel

Looks like Kozilek and her brood change the landscape to colorless.

Assuming that's what it is. It could actually be a new land type that just happens to be colourless. Right now, we just don't know.
    Since the lands seem to point to tapping for <> mana I'm inclined to think that <> is not just simply the same thing as <> must be mana.

If all we had seen were cards with <> in the costs then <> == Has to be paid with colorless mana from any colorless source would make sense... but since we've now got lands that produce <> I'm not sure it's safe to assume this about how <> mana works. If it were just a restriction to require the use of colorless mana there would be no need to put Tap: Add <> on a card.

Also a part of me really wants these to be fake but fears they are actually real...

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I like the interpretation that <> means "must be paid in colorless mana" - however, the problem with that interpretation is why would the land produce <>, wouldn't producing (1) be just as good?

Mar 2007

@Ace/Homebrew: This leaves up the question why Kozilek's brood shits out Bismuth:

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I like the interpretation that <> means "must be paid in colorless mana" - however, the problem with that interpretation is why would the land produce <>, wouldn't producing (1) be just as good?
    Maybe all instances of producers gets errated to <>. Ancient Tomb would produce <><> in that case.

Thread Information